The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#5851 yokofox33

yokofox33

House Stark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

A note for anyone that reserved your Wii U at Toy's R Us - I just received an email stating I can pick up my Deluxe preorder starting Sunday, November 18th. The email shows the store I preordered it at and my order number, which matches the number on preorder receipt. If you preordered through TRU you might want to check your inbox.

I preordered through the TRU website, so I'm hoping they start processing my order soon. I haven't seen the money taken from my account though yet.

#5852 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

The Wii didn't have the same power as the Xbox 360 because Nintendo gave up the specs race and instead for a different approach: Expanded Audience. Like with the DS they developed new ways to play the game and went for lower-cost hardware so it would be an easier sell.

Luckily for them it worked.

No, Nintendo didn't put any muscle into the Wii because they didn't want to lose any money and made a console that was obsolete in 2008. The Wii was a now console, it had nothing to offer in the long term.

They did things like rely on the public's slow adoption rate of HD sets and maxed theirs out at 480p. That meant that people could get by with their old CRT's but alienated people who spent money on better displays. Those people spent their money on other consoles.

Nintendo has always skimped on the hardware sides of things because that's where the costs come in, they refuse to spend money in that department. That's why the Wii's lifespan was gone by 2008 and the Wii U's lifespan should be ending about 2014.
Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Newest story: SimCity Reviewers Have Failed Their Readers
Newest Review: Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection, SimCity
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#5853 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

A note for anyone that reserved your Wii U at Toy's R Us - I just received an email stating I can pick up my Deluxe preorder starting Sunday, November 18th. The email shows the store I preordered it at and my order number, which matches the number on preorder receipt. If you preordered through TRU you might want to check your inbox.

Fuck, I preordered in store as well, and haven't received the email yet!!!!:hot::hot:
did you paid off?? I just put down 20 bucks

DaviVascaino.png         Davivascaino.png

#5854 soxxx

soxxx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I hear target took 10 preorders but stores are recieving many more.

This one guy said his store took 10 but got 88 total. So target looks like a place to campout for those who didnt preorder.

#5855 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

I can't believe so many "hardcore nintendo fans" can order their consoles and wait for delivery. Nintendo always launches on Sunday so you know it's shipping on Monday. Even express($$$$) shipping gets it to you Tuesday. Not to mention your console being on the floor of a USPS or ups truck under a box of frozen Omaha steaks and snow blowers from amazon lol
Just go outside. Once. :) I like waiting in line for consoles though so that's just me!

I would of done this but I at work between 8 and 5 and well the only store that handled preorders near me on a day I could get to it was gamestop. Even then that was going to be going there at 6 pm to preorder, and on launch day driving 50 minutes to get there. I just preordered online instead.

Not that I wanted to, but it was more so I wasn't going to bother any other way. Yeah I am worried about my Wii-U very much because mail occasionally gets lost but if it's through UPS I should be fine.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#5856 tightclaws

tightclaws

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

No, Nintendo didn't put any muscle into the Wii because they didn't want to lose any money and made a console that was obsolete in 2008. The Wii was a now console, it had nothing to offer in the long term.

They did things like rely on the public's slow adoption rate of HD sets and maxed theirs out at 480p. That meant that people could get by with their old CRT's but alienated people who spent money on better displays. Those people spent their money on other consoles.

Nintendo has always skimped on the hardware sides of things because that's where the costs come in, they refuse to spend money in that department. That's why the Wii's lifespan was gone by 2008 and the Wii U's lifespan should be ending about 2014.

It makes you wonder where Wii U will fall in two years from now. That being said I'm still getting one because I love first party games no matter how powerful, or weak the system is.
Posted Image

#5857 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

but alienated people who spent money on better displays. Those people spent their money on other consoles.

I...wait, what?

How did they "alienate" people who spent money on HDTVs? People played DVDs on HDTV for years before Blu-Ray rolled around and even now DVDs are still the best selling format out there.

I played my Wii on a HDTV for its entire lifespan, as did many others.

Also I'm not entirely sure how you consider the Wii's "lifespan" gone by 2008 when some of its best titles were released in 2010 and 2011.

#5858 soxxx

soxxx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Nintendo didnt push hard with wii because they didnt have to. Wii dominated last gen in sales, game sales, console sales, controller sales etc.

I do expect Sony and Microsoft to come back with a huge effort for their next consoles. Should be fun

#5859 nintendospy

nintendospy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I hear target took 10 preorders but stores are recieving many more.

This one guy said his store took 10 but got 88 total. So target looks like a place to campout for those who didnt preorder.

This is going to be very YMMV. Blanket statements about chains with thousands of stores aren't going to apply to every location. Some Targets will have extra systems and others won't. The same with Best Buy, Walmart, etc...

Check your local stores.

#5860 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

I got the WII U games I pre ordered from Kmart.

Black Ops 2 and Batman.

Something I dident know. According to back of the box of batman. You can play the game on it. Like pressing that tv button streams the game on the pad.

That's nifty, I hope that most games use that feature.

I know after playing Wonderful 101 that you see insides of buildings on the pad but everything outside on the TV, I'm guessing that pad only gameplay wont be an option there.
Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Newest story: SimCity Reviewers Have Failed Their Readers
Newest Review: Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection, SimCity
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#5861 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think you're both right and wrong. The reason the Wii-U is about as powerful as a 360 is that 25-30% of the processor is dedicated to the tablet controller. So even though the hardware is superior... it looks about the same. Now it's a question of whether that strategy was worth it. It kinda makes sense for 2013, 360/PS3/Wii-U will all have the same horsepower for developers for the main game. Then they add on as much content as they can for the controller. But in 2014 when everybody is making games for PS4 and XBox720, the Wii-U becomes underpowered again like the Wii for the PS3/360 and probably a bit of a pain to support.

#5862 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

I actually don't plan on picking up my WiiU till after Black Friday. I wonder if they will honor it and let me pick it up whenever or they will sell it and make me wait longer?

If anything, I'll just get it at launch though I really don't want to.

#5863 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think you're both right and wrong. The reason the Wii-U is about as powerful as a 360 is that 25-30% of the processor is dedicated to the tablet controller. So even though the hardware is superior... it looks about the same. Now it's a question of whether that strategy was worth it. It kinda makes sense for 2013, 360/PS3/Wii-U will all have the same horsepower for developers for the main game. Then they add on as much content as they can for the controller. But in 2014 when everybody is making games for PS4 and XBox720, the Wii-U becomes underpowered again like the Wii for the PS3/360 and probably a bit of a pain to support.

This is true, but the scenario has changed a bit. The Wii was stuck at 480p and low quality textures while the 360 and PS3 were running 720p with mid grade textures. This time around, the Wii U is doing HD and will be able to display mid to high quality textures. The PS4 and 720 will be displaying at 1080p and mid to high quality textures. This plays a lot better for Nintendo, because they're going to be displaying HD even if it's not 1080p. Also, if the game is running 1080p on the PS4/720, it should be portable to the Wii U in 720p if they disable some lighting/shadow/environmental effects.

Will the Wii U be weaker than the PS4/720? You bet. But it will still look good and third parties will be able to port titles to it without totally rewriting the game like they had to with the Wii. And, for families that want Nintendo first party games and can't afford 2-3 consoles, it will probably prove to be the best value, especially depending on the price of the PS4/720. Then again, if the 720 manages to launch in the $300 range...things could get interesting.

#5864 mojothealmighty

mojothealmighty

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

IGN Reviews for New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land are in

NSMBU: 9.1
Nintendo Land: 8.7

#5865 leungw

leungw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

I went to TRU in Watchung NJ and saw these: Call of Duty, Scribblenauts, Madden, Ninja Gaiden, and Assassin's Creed. Buy 1 get 1 40% off.

Flingsmash is marked further down to $25 if anyone's looking for extra remotes with motion plus. Buy 1 get 1 40% off also works on these. So $40 for two remotes.

#5866 Alucard400

Alucard400

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I want to add into this discussion. Nintendo got really burned and lost their first place spot in the industry by pushing hardware in the late 90s. with their N64. it had the highest graphics output in power. But the console was expensive to manufacture compared to a playstation 1. But the main reason they lost in their race was because they stuck with cartridges. Despite the fact that there were no loading times, developers would flock to cd based consoles because blank cartridges cost 22$. Compare that to 25 cent fiber optic discs. It would take nearly a million units of game sales to break even with a cartridge game. compared to 300,000 units of sales to break even on a disc based game. Nintendo never wanted to push hardware graphics specs again after that. They went back to innovation.

#5867 KManPilkers

KManPilkers

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I’ve been following this thread for some time and thought I’d ask those of you who are planning on selling a WiiU: when do you plan to sell it? Will you list it on eBay or craigslist right after picking it up or will you wait a few weeks?

I’m wondering if the hype (and therefore, the market cost) of the WiiU will go up a few weeks after launch.

#5868 vtswordfish

vtswordfish

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Just scored a preorder through kmart, boom goes the dynamite!

#5869 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Just scored a preorder through kmart, boom goes the dynamite!

In-Store? Intriguing. What's the procedure for this?

#5870 Alucard400

Alucard400

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

About this coming new generation of consoles, every new cycle has hardcore gamers push the initial userbase numbers in the beginning. That's how you get the consoles a rolling start. you then get third party support for software with that userbase. in the case of the Wii U, it will be the inbetween the HD consoles and the new upcoming Sony and MS consoles. With the currenty wii U graphics, it will have games that the 360 and PS3 get. What people dont see is, the new PS4 and MS consoles will have to compete not only against tablets, Wii U. But also against their own previous consoles. You think companies like Ubisoft, Square and Capcom are willing to pony up millions of dollars to develop a game looking so good on one or two consoles that each have a userbase of only 3 million or less? Nintendo was smart to make their Wii U about the same power as the current HD consoles. they get ports of the games. a PS4 or an xbox 720 will not get a exclusive high graphics game. it will be a port that has slightly better graphics.

#5871 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Went to Walmart to see what was going on. The girl I talked to in layaway didn't really know so she took me to electronics where several employees let me know what was going on. The girl in layaway told me that they did not have enough consoles to fill preorders and that it was first come first serve rather than going in order of preorders sold and that there was no mignight launch. The people in electronics told me they are having a midnight launch and they have enough consoles to cover preorders +6 extra for people in line. I made arrangements to be able to get there around 9:30/10:00ish just in case though. I forgot to ask if they will have plenty of games and accessories though.

#5872 Dental

Dental

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

In-Store? Intriguing. What's the procedure for this?

Try this link, http://m.kmart.com/p...D=1886881&aff=Y

I also ordered one.

#5873 Renaissance 2K

Renaissance 2K

*nom nom nom*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I want to add into this discussion. Nintendo got really burned and lost their first place spot in the industry by pushing hardware in the late 90s. with their N64. it had the highest graphics output in power. But the console was expensive to manufacture compared to a playstation 1. But the main reason they lost in their race was because they stuck with cartridges. Despite the fact that there were no loading times, developers would flock to cd based consoles because blank cartridges cost 22$. Compare that to 25 cent fiber optic discs. It would take nearly a million units of game sales to break even with a cartridge game. compared to 300,000 units of sales to break even on a disc based game. Nintendo never wanted to push hardware graphics specs again after that. They went back to innovation.

Two things:

1) Compact discs have nothing to do with fiber optics. Both technologies use a laser, but they're unrelated.

2) The Gamecube followed the Nintendo 64 and was a fairly powerful console. It was comparable to the Xbox spec-wise but very difficult to develop for in comparison, which had an impact on third-party adoption and port quality.

#5874 vtswordfish

vtswordfish

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I also ordered one.

Yeup...just hope they get fulfilled, I had to order one about 45 mins from me but I'll drive no biggie.

#5875 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

I also ordered one.

Done.

How exciting.

#5876 mBucket

mBucket

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Done.

How exciting.

Did you get it from the Kmart in Metairie? I think you took the last one, it no longer works lol

#5877 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Did you get it from the Kmart in Metairie? I think you took the last one, it no longer works lol

7000 Veterans Memorial Blvd. The one near David Dr./Chuck E Cheese.

#5878 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Not true. I'm in NH and my Walmart isn't 24 hours and is doing a midnight release. Just call your walmart, ask to speak to a manager and ask them.

Same. I'm getting mine in NH at a Walmart that normally closes at midnight but they are having a midnight launch for it.

#5879 screwkick

screwkick

\m/ >< \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I also ordered one.

Funny, at my locations, its says the Wii u is available for pick up today.

#5880 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I’ve been following this thread for some time and thought I’d ask those of you who are planning on selling a WiiU: when do you plan to sell it? Will you list it on eBay or craigslist right after picking it up or will you wait a few weeks?

I’m wondering if the hype (and therefore, the market cost) of the WiiU will go up a few weeks after launch.

If I plan on selling it, I'm going to do it 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas. That would be the time people are going to looking for it and the time stores will most likely say no more shipments till 2012. Put it up on eBay on December 10th for 7 days. That gives enough time to ship it without it being delayed in the mail.