The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#571 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

I agree, although I think they should throw in composite cables as well just to satisfy everyone.

At any rate, has anyone heard any news about transferring VC/game saves from the Wii to Wii U yet? I know I read somewhere months ago that you would be able to do that but nothing since the announcement yesterday.

i disagree this an HD console....play it on an HD TV and if you really are a somewhat half way serious gamer you should have some kind of HD TV by now.

i dont know why anyone would buy this and play it on an SD TV. the HDMI pack in is also a lot cheaper(seeing as the cords are 2 or 3 dollars) component cables are little more all over the map in pricing.

but still HD console needs an HD TV. i support this ballsy move by nintendo that says our console is HD and to hell with SD

yea i am curious how the data transfer will work.

#572 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

So I did this. It's still not being sold. Help?

Yeah, it was just a guess since Amazon likes to throw things up at that time. IDK, you may have to get to a GS, TrU, or BB. WM and Target should do preorders at some time. Same with NewEgg and eventually Amazon.

#573 Slight Defect

Slight Defect

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Preordered mine at GameStop earlier as well. Makes me kinda of worried because employee said the company was only getting a total of 5,000 units at launch.

They have no way of knowing their launch allocation, you were lied to to insure that you preorder as their job relies on collecting preorders, subscriptions and warranty's. I used to run a Gamestop, this is what they do, they ALWAYS exaggerate, i mean, 5000? There are a few THOUSAND gamestops in NA, so each store will have only 1-2 systems at launch? This is very, very unlikely. IT is worth the preorder for sure, just dont let them take advantage of you in the future..... I only preorder if I want the bonus dlc, which amazon usually offers a better deal on most of the time.....;)
Posted Image

#574 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

just placed an orderonline for store pick up at best buy. Do you think is that ok or I should just preorder in store instead of online for store pick up?

Anyone?

#575 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

I just like Nintendo is including HDMI cable as the pack-in, instead of composite. Bold move by Nintendo. That's just not something I've seen most anybody else do. Most everyone else goes with composite. I mean, I understand why most go with composite as the pack-in, with composite connection being on most every TV, but still, in this day and age, when most households now have at least one HDTV, it's time. HDMI should be the pack-in. If someone really wants composite, they can be purchased on the cheap.

MS used to always put component cables in the system until about 2009 or 2010 (was it when they introduced the Slim?) Thought it was always a huge joke with Sony touting everything the system did then putting a composite cable in the box, and they charge more for a shorter HDMI cable (Sony's HDMI cable is $30 for 6.5 feet while GS's is $20 for 10 feet- yes I know monoprice.com just using that example for argument's sake.)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#576 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

How hard is it to cancel an online order at bestbuy.com? If newegg or amazon put it up, I will definitely switch to them as I don't pay tax, but then I'll need to cancel at best buy.

Never mind. I'm going to wait for newegg or amazon to get it. If they don't, they don't. With tax the Deluxe is $371. I'm balking at that tax. :) Plus if at amazon I get more points for my money. So hopefully Amazon has a change of heart.

Edited by crunchewy, 14 September 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#577 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

I still use my HDMI cable from one of the Xbox Elites I bought way back when. Good sturdy cable. ;)

I also have a rocketfish or something, which I got from my mom. Cost me a grand total of 2.50 from BB. :P

#578 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Anyone?

IMO, your safer to keep your online in store pickup order. They should pull it when they come in and put your order copy on it. You should be good either way though. A regular in store preorder means you'll go in that day to claim yours but shady stuff can happen.

#579 ebaymarcaro

ebaymarcaro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

I preordered one from Best Buy online last night, then reading this thread, I went with local pickup. I just used different email addresses; same address and payment. Will Best Buy cancel both if the system determines that it's two from the same person? Want to have one preorder in case I decide to actually buy the system in November, two would be nice for the inevitability that someone I know is looking for the system as well but I'd rather not lose both.

Am I missing something? I dont' see a 1 per person limit.

#580 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Damn it, after I placed my order online for sure pick-up at my local best buy, they now sold out.that was quick, thanks God I got mine

#581 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

BB in store option broken now for me.

#582 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Damn it, after I placed my order online for sure pick-up at my local best buy, they now sold out.that was quick, thanks God I got mine

at least there appears to be control on quantities then which is good so stores dont 5465445 preorders and dont fulfill them

#583 djduke316

djduke316

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Ended up putting a preorder on Gamestop.com. Really sucks there is no free shipping on hardware. I will get about $8.75 back ordering through ebates. It's not much but it adds up.
http://www.ebates.co...id=/7FTTcUAoU8=
Posted Image
Posted Image

#584 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

If for nothing else, the whole Amazon thing makes me sad to see two of my favorite companies fighting :/
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#585 girlracer

girlracer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

i really wasn't going to buy at launch but with a mario title at launch i had to.

ordered a deluxe edition, whats $50 more bucks when it includeds a game and bigger size 32 > 8 and its black

#586 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

In for a deluxe console and another one to resell. I can tell this is going to be like the PS3, Wii, and 360 where limited copies are out and won't be back in stock till after the holidays. I'm sure, like those consoles, I will get $1000+ for the console. Might use that money to buy some more Christmas gifts.

Beyond the Wii and the 360 I dont recall the PS3 making anyone a $1000 I hear that but had a few consoles with my buddy and he made no where near that amount on ebay.

Good lukc with the $1000 profit however. You might have a run against the furbys. ha.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#587 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

If BB is selling through their alloted preorders without really any headsup to regular folks then this thing is going to be scarce this holiday season. GS worries me even though I have a preorder for in store pickup with them. I just don't want to pay it all upfront now by preordering online with BB for in-store pickup since I just users debit card.

#588 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

Ugh - Is Best Buy taking PreOrders in store? I don't want my card held for the full amount yet as I am planning on buying the new iPhone.

#589 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

You think that's something, I was a 16 year old kid working part time as a salesman at a large local game store when the Colecovision launched. We had collected money in advance as well, and promised to deliver systems before Christmas. Well, for a variety of reasons (maybe weather, I don't recall), it ended up that the systems were stuck at a distributor somewhere in Pennsylvania... So the store manager rented a Ryder truck to go get them on like Dec. 23. He has a flat tire and other mishaps, so we have a store full of people late at night (No one was doing midnight launches in 1982), and they were starting to get rowdy and irritated thinking we were stringing them along and that we really couldn't get the systems. Now think about it... why would we do that?! Anyway, only 1 angry guy demanded his money back and left, but the truck rolled in about midnight and people got their systems. (So maybe this was the first midnight launch... :lol:)

I will NEVER forget the Xbox 360 Launch. I was the Store Manager of Gamestop 1595 in Trussville, AL -- a few miles outside Birmingham. We were the busiest store in the region. We took something to the effect of 120 pre-orders before GameStop told us to stop taking them. We were told repeatedly that the company was getting enough units and we were even encouraged to collect the full dollar amount of the system to simplify the check-out process for the masses on release night.

Then the news came a week prior to launch. We were getting 12 units. TWELVE. We had 120 orders, about 75ish were FULLY PAID. First thing I did was cancel my employees orders as well as my own. It went over like a lead balloon but it had to be done.

Then as store manager I had the wonderful job of calling the 108 people who had put all their hopes into us making their and their child's christmas and inform them that no, we will not have their unit. It was the worst thing I ever had to do. The company informed us that we would not be compensating them for this issue, since it wasnt our fault. Of course, I'm not going to say that. The company also wanted me to push people into turning their pre-order into a gift card which they could later use to buy a 360. Imagine giving that to a kid on Christmas.

Oh the real kicker: Tell them you can convert the order into a PSP purchase (the PSP had launched earlier in the year) -- GameStop's rationale: The PSP was also new technology therefore people hunting a 360 would want it too. Jeez.

Then of course people are showing up to get their money back and hoping to God they can find a unit elsewhere a week before launch. The problem? We dont start our day with a ton of cash to issue refunds with. After one or two $300-400 refunds, I'm tapped out until I collect more cash. Or they could wait 1-2 weeks for corporate to issue them a check.

It was awful. My customers hated me and I couldnt blame them.

I ended up camping at Walmart for 20 hours to get my launch 360. Good times.

Anyway, heres hoping that the Wii U launch isnt similar.

Edit: Keep in mind this was circa 2005. I havent worked for GameStop for a long, long time and I hear they have changed many procedures over that time. I'm quite sure they wouldnt let this happen again. Well, not entirely sure....

#590 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

You think that's something, I was a 16 year old kid working part time as a salesman at a large local game store when the Colecovision launched. We had collected money in advance as well, and promised to deliver systems before Christmas. Well, for a variety of reasons (maybe weather, I don't recall), it ended up that the systems were stuck at a distributor somewhere in Pennsylvania... So the store manager rented a Ryder truck to go get them on like Dec. 23. He has a flat tire and other mishaps, so we have a store full of people late at night (No one was doing midnight launches in 1982), and they were starting to get rowdy and irritated thinking we were stringing them along and that we really couldn't get the systems. Now think about it... why would we do that?! Anyway, only 1 angry guy demanded his money back and left, but the truck rolled in about midnight and people got their systems. (So maybe this was the first midnight launch... :lol:)

All those poor people and wasting their money on Colecovision... That guy that wanted his money back was a smart man, lol.

#591 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

There should be a poll:

Are you pre-ordering the Wii-U?

a) No, I have no interest [insert your most outrageous comment supporting your console of choice]

b) No, I am going to wait for a price drop [and/or better games]

c) Yes, because I genuinely believe that the Wii-U is an awesome piece of hardware [insert your favorite Nintendo fan-boy/girl comment here]

d) Yes, because I am going to SELL IT FOR PROFIT!!! [to suckers when there are none left in stock during the holidays]

And now I am actually kind of curious what the results of this poll would be...

My situation is a combination of "a" and "d." Though I think the lukewarm reception of this console might make it like the PS3 launch which after a week you could find the console everywhere and a lot of resellers ended up returning them.

I' preordered one at best buy for in store pick up, but if there is no money to be made reselling it's going back cause I think this thing is a joke and will be dead in the water next year when the next Xbox and PlayStations hit the market.

125365.png

#592 CowntChocula

CowntChocula

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Ugh - Is Best Buy taking PreOrders in store? I don't want my card held for the full amount yet as I am planning on buying the new iPhone.

I went to my local BB last night with the SKU number and the guy looked it up in their system. The SKU was acting as if I was buying the console today. They called over the supervisor and I was told that the system update to start taking pre-orders was supposed to start in store today (9/14).

I kind of take these things with a grain of salt but I will stop by today to check again.

Edited by udryguy, 14 September 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#593 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

I signed up on amazons site a few months back when they had the wii u page up and you could sign up to be notified when it was available.
I just got this email this morning from amazon.

Posted Image Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.

Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change.

We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out.

Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.

I got this, too. I had forgotten there was a time when I was actually considering pre-ordering this.

#594 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Given that they no longer sell the Wii, DS/3DS/3DS XL (except through Marketplace sellers) - I wouldn't be so sure.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=484863

Order somewhere else and don't count on Amazon this round...

Perhaps this GAF link should be wiki-stickied to the OP? Just cuz it sheds some light on the whole Amazon situation. Or else we might have 100 more pages of curiosity on the subject. And I don't blame anybody - cuz at this point nobody is gonna scroll thru 20+ pages.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#595 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

I went to my local BB last night with the SKU number and the guy looked it up in their system. The SKU was acting as if I was buying the console today. They called over the supervisor and I was told that the system update to start taking pre-orders was supposed to start in store today (9/14).

I kind of take these things with a gain of salt but I will stop by today to check again.

That would be great to know. I am planning on going in on Saturday to Pre-Order my phone. Hopefully the order will still be available at the store I am going to.

#596 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

I kind of take these things with a grain of salt but I will stop by today to check again.

That's what I was told from the phone girl at my BB. She said that they sent an email out stating that. I'm not going to let go of my two GS orders though. I love BB but I don't trust them with this launch.

#597 TheHammerGod

TheHammerGod

Superfly friendly gamer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

My local GameStop is approaching 100 pre-orders (they couldn't fill their Wii preorders day of release), my Best Buy online is not taking any more pre-orders and I just reserved my system at Toys R Us where people started showing up at 3am. They can't all be flippers can they? Should be interesting come November!

#598 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Can't believe I'm actually going to preorder this for my wife...

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#599 dubldave

dubldave

mmm, savingsss...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Unlike a lot of the Wii downers, the Wii still gets played in my house. Of course not as much as my 360 but the Wii is still good fun.

I can't get over all the people saying $350 is WAAAYYYYY too much. :whee: That's crazy talk, and here's why:

For one: it's a NEW CONSOLE building off the huge success of their last one, of course it's not going to be free. duh. :dunce:

It could be worse, way worse, like by a bunch...

Just as an example, the new iphone??? want more memory,? sure... here's 16gb more... $100 please :wall: How many current gen consoles let you use WHATEVER memory you want... that'd be nobody people. That is a GREAT $$$ saving feature. :applause:

Now, how many current gen consoles ( ima start callin this CGCs ) let you use last gens controllers and peripherals... yep, NONE! Also a great $$$ saving feature. Actually pretty huge if you think about it... To replace the 4 wii + remotes and 2 nunchucks I already have I'd have to shell out $200. If I want a balance board that I already have too it's another $100. I have a wireless sensor bar for another $20. And those silly little things like steering wheels and golf clubs would be about $50... That's $370 saved, thank's Wii U! :applause:

No Gamecube??? WHAT!!! Please, no other CGCs even give you all of last gens games, Wii U does... GREAT feature. :joystick:

One of the coolest features imo, and one I haven't seen anyone talking about, is the fact that the new controller will also be a universal touchpad remote. That, is, COOL! I have a logitech Harmony One which is hands down the best remote ever made in the history of the world, just ask CNET.com. If you don't currently have a kick arse universal remote then you my friend are in for a treat. A remote of this type, that is only a remote, and that's it, is going to run you about $175!!! Super Awesome To The Max feature! :bouncy:

*sidenote - just saw sears is selling the harmony one on sale atm for $120, that's a steal, go buy one! :shock:

Back on track...

So, if we go with the "real" consoles approach to this the Wii U would cost me:

$350 to start
$100 for a tad more memory built in cuz you can't add your own
$370 to replace my controllers and extras and such

and I'm looking at a start cost of about $820... with no super awesome universal remote and NO OTHER GAMES!!!

Yes, it could be much, much, worse.

Now, as for what my purchase plan is... If Amazon indeed does not sell these then I will be bringing my talents, and my red card, to Target. That 5% off almost gets rid of the Tax and they'll let me use any coupon I might have too! Thanks for your time. ;)

#600 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Went with a Deluxe for store pickup at the closest Best Buy (40 miles one-way). Will cancel if I can get a Newegg (or Amazon) preorder.