The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#8311 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

dont know havent tried. i only bought it help my wii transfer data over the wii u but it still kept getting system memory access errors. since my wii's wireless connection is spotty because quite frankly anything but a nintendo system would of died ages ago.

ive heard it does work but ill try it in a little bit and report back

EDIT:

on a slightly amusing note the brand new Wii U sensor bar does not work....but the wii sense bar that was buried on the floor collecting dirt underneath God only knows what kind of pile i left it under....works still.

#8312 TPerryoo7

TPerryoo7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

So when do you guys think this wii u system will be available to buy next..? lol. It seems sold out everywhere, and I'm interested in getting it in the next month or so.

Do you think Im out of luck?
Posted Image

#8313 cigaro

cigaro

Constants and Variables

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Holy shit. Nintendoland is incredibly fun.

Me and my friends were bent over laughing the majority of the time playing those mini games.... freaking hilarious.

I can see that being a really good drinking/party game to hold over until Mario Party. How awesome

#8314 vasco

vasco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Does the Wii USB ethernet adapter work with Wii U? If it does it could make a really huge difference here. I don't see why it couldn't work but this is nintendo after all.

It works. I hooked mine up. I configured my connection to wired and no problems. My update took only 30 minutes.

#8315 UnlockPotential

UnlockPotential

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I ordered 2 deluxe Wii U's from Walmart and both shipped. :o I was worried cuz people here were saying its just 1 order per store or they cancel your additional orders.

#8316 nightmarishhero

nightmarishhero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

It works. I hooked mine up. I configured my connection to wired and no problems. My update took only 30 minutes.

which one do you have, I don't think there is an official nintendo adapter is there? I see a rocketfish LAN adapter on ebay for 13 bucks, but not sure if i should just go ahead and buy that one

#8317 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

If anyone comes across any affordable USB chargers for the GamePad, please let me know. I prefer to play at my computer and the only outlets (of which none are currently available) are buried back behind my desk. I can just go sit on the couch and enjoy my Scribblenauts there, but it's nice to have all bases covered. So far, I have found one USB charger, but it comes with a cradle and it costs $17.99. Too bad we can't just use 3DS cables...

#8318 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

My wallet is ready.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

which one do you have, I don't think there is an official nintendo adapter is there? I see a rocketfish LAN adapter on ebay for 13 bucks, but not sure if i should just go ahead and buy that one

There is an official Nintendo one and it's the only one guaranteed to work 100%. You can only order a new one from Nintendo, so your best bet is used. Mine works like a charm.

EDIT: http://store.nintend...rencyPreference

uc.png

#8319 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

what games besides NSMBU and Zombie are you guys picking up?

im thinking about getting Sega All-stars, Epic Mickey 2 or Ninja Gaiden 3

Sonic Racing is surprisingly fun so far. It's seemed a lot more fresh than any of the recent Mario Kart games have (MK:DD was the last MK game that felt fresh to me). It's too early to tell if it's balanced or if it has the longevity of a MK title, but for $40 it's a bargain. My only two complaints are a) it would be nice if the special items were a big larger after you shoot them so it was easier to see on the screen b) I guess I was expecting a bit more out of it graphically/frame rate wise. At no point does the frame rate get in the way of gameplay...and there's a massive amount of stuff going on in the background...but I was hoping it would either look better than the PS360 version or at least have a higher frame rate. Its doesn't. So, dreams of it running F-Zero buttery smooth...sorry.

#8320 Marauder7

Marauder7

FF14 Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Walmart is selling a bundle of Deluxe and another game for 409 with free home shipping. Once I was about to check it it was telling me one of the items is out of stock but still let me place the order. Not sure if this will be cancelled or sit in limbo. Does Walmart charge right away or after it ships?

http://www.walmart.c...U-Game/21803986

Edited by Marauder7, 19 November 2012 - 01:12 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8321 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Does the Wii USB ethernet adapter work with Wii U? If it does it could make a really huge difference here. I don't see why it couldn't work but this is nintendo after all.

Even if it does, it shouldn't make a difference with the long download times. The bandwidth bottleneck here is with Nintendo's servers, not your Wii U. I.e., if the speed limit is 35mph, you're going to get to your destination in the same amount of time whether you're driving a Lexus or a Kia.

I hope Nintendo's servers are just buckling under the weight of a new launch and that we don't end up with absurdly slow servers like with Sony. Whether you hate XBL or not, you gotta admit...Microsoft's server speed is fantastic. It figures that the American company would understand the concept of impatience :p

#8322 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

do you think a portable USB powered 3.b hard rive will be ok for the wii u? bestbuy will have one for 39.99

DaviVascaino.png         Davivascaino.png

#8323 Marauder7

Marauder7

FF14 Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

do you think a portable USB powered 3.b hard rive will be ok for the wii u? bestbuy will have one for 39.99

http://www.ign.com/a...orage-solutions

"Some drives are able to be powered through USB 3.0. As we noted in our original story (below), 3.0 drives are not promised to work, though Nintendo has clarified these devices will effectively operate at USB 2.0."

There is another line at the bottom if Hard Drive requires 2 USB connections it will work.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8324 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

I hope Nintendo's servers are just buckling under the weight of a new launch and that we don't end up with absurdly slow servers like with Sony. Whether you hate XBL or not, you gotta admit...Microsoft's server speed is fantastic. It figures that the American company would understand the concept of impatience :p

Nobody can withstand the kind of crush they get during an event like this. Hell Amazon is one of the monsters of cloud computing and they got destroyed during BF a couple years ago. Steam gets smashed during high volume sales. I don't think there's anything to be worried about from a day 1 network crush.

Just my opinion though.
Posted Image

#8325 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

BTW, I don't know if this has been covered yet, but...

Wii games look great on the Wii U. Sure, it's the same resolution, but (at least in my case) the digital output made all the difference in the world as far as clarity/blurriness goes. Many companies are skimping on the quality of analog tv inputs at this point, which might have a bit to do with it. Regardless, things are nice and clear and not blurry/hazy now. Everything looks great!

#8326 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Best feature of the Wii U so far is being able to boot it up with the Wiimote but navigating with the buttons rather than the pointer
Posted Image

#8327 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I wouldn't worry about the connection speeds too much. It was definitely slow when I first went online, but I was just looking through eShop and Miiverse a few minutes ago and the speed was just fine.

#8328 portnoyd

portnoyd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Wii games look great on the Wii U. Sure, it's the same resolution, but (at least in my case) the digital output made all the difference in the world as far as clarity/blurriness goes. Many companies are skimping on the quality of analog tv inputs at this point, which might have a bit to do with it. Regardless, things are nice and clear and not blurry/hazy now. Everything looks great!

That's really nice to hear since the second game I'm going to play on my WiiU will be Xenoblade, which frankly looks like ass on myHDTV even with component cables.

#8329 BrandonJF

BrandonJF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

They are terrible. I bought the official ones with 2 stylus. The first one left a dirty smear when i removed the numbered sticker on the front. The second was already scratched up as they dont come with 2 protective covers like phone ones do, just one to stick and the front has a sticker on it.

REALLY disappointed, 10$ down the drain.

Yep, I had the same experience. They were useless. I may try the Hori ones at some point.

#8330 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

That's really nice to hear since the second game I'm going to play on my WiiU will be Xenoblade, which frankly looks like ass on myHDTV even with component cables.

Such a good game. But damn is it ugly. Lol! I booted up xenoblade & skyward sword on the wii u last night & honestly didn't see a difference at all. It looks exactly the same. Not sharper not clearer. I think people just want to believe it looks better being played through wii u.

#8331 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for this. I've been meaning to try out the one Wii game I have left (Skyward Sword) but unfortunately I never loaded it in my Wii to begin with so I don't know if I'd notice a difference or not. I knew the Wii-U wouldn't upscale but getting rid of that blur that plagued my Wii gaming on my HDTV is a great thing to hear. It might even get me to pick up a few Wii games I never bothered playing.
Posted Image

#8332 Cheapskate

Cheapskate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Such a good game. But damn is it ugly. Lol! I booted up xenoblade & skyward sword on the wii u last night & honestly didn't see a difference at all. It looks exactly the same. Not sharper not clearer. I think people just want to believe it looks better being played through wii u.

If you had them displaying HDMI and Composite/Component side-by-side on two HDTVs, you'd definitely notice sharpness, just because HDMI is such a step up. However, the jaggies will also look sharper in HDMI (Wii U isn't going to make Wii games less jagged). So there's a trade-off.

#8333 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Holy shit. Nintendoland is incredibly fun.

Me and my friends were bent over laughing the majority of the time playing those mini games.... freaking hilarious.

I can see that being a really good drinking/party game to hold over until Mario Party. How awesome

I never thought id agree, but nintendo land is really fun. Mario chase and animal crossing are by far the stars of the game. Me and a group of friends had a blast playing five player on those two minigames. The girls loved it too. A pleasent suprise for a pack in.

#8334 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for this. I've been meaning to try out the one Wii game I have left (Skyward Sword) but unfortunately I never loaded it in my Wii to begin with so I don't know if I'd notice a difference or not. I knew the Wii-U wouldn't upscale but getting rid of that blur that plagued my Wii gaming on my HDTV is a great thing to hear. It might even get me to pick up a few Wii games I never bothered playing.

I couldn't find my copy of Skyward Sword last night, or I would have tried that. That game was so blurry on my Wii/42" Plasma that I just gave up. The text was even hard to read. I'm hoping HDMI makes this playable for me. However, from what I saw with what I did try in my Wii U, I definitely plan on picking up Xenoblades and Last Story. I'm not a graphics fiend at all, all I ask is that things not be blurry...and I think this did the trick. The colors seemed a lot brighter as well.

Again, YMMV...if your tv handles analog signals better than mine you might not even notice a difference at all.

#8335 thundarr

thundarr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have a Samsung 52" LCD that's about 4 years old and I definitely notice a big difference between my Wii and my Wii U when playing Wii games, and I have the two sitting side-by-side on my entertainment center. Playing DKC almost (almost) looks in the same ballbark as NSMBU but not quite. It's still definitely in the same ballpark as PS# and 360 graphics though. I haven't tried SS yet, but I'm really looking forward to TvC and the Galaxy games played through Wii U!!!

#8336 ||||||

||||||

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

anyone in los angeles area know a best place to pick up a wii u deluxe. i had it paid on layaway at the walmart on crenshaw, and they never received any in. they don't know when either. so, i wan't to try luck somewhere else and just cancel it from walmart.

#8337 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I have a Samsung 52" LCD that's about 4 years old and I definitely notice a big difference between my Wii and my Wii U when playing Wii games, and I have the two sitting side-by-side on my entertainment center. Playing DKC almost (almost) looks in the same ballbark as NSMBU but not quite. It's still definitely in the same ballpark as PS# and 360 graphics though. I haven't tried SS yet, but I'm really looking forward to TvC and the Galaxy games played through Wii U!!!

Your Wii U makes your Wii games look graphically in the same ballpark as 360 and PS3 games?

Okay.

#8338 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I've got a Wii U Deluxe theoretically waiting for me at Best Buy (pre-ordered online with in-store pickup, but couldn't get over there yesterday). Hopefully they don't sell pre-orders that weren't picked up day 1.

Crunchewy.png

#8339 sengar

sengar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

If you had them displaying HDMI and Composite/Component side-by-side on two HDTVs, you'd definitely notice sharpness, just because HDMI is such a step up. However, the jaggies will also look sharper in HDMI (Wii U isn't going to make Wii games less jagged). So there's a trade-off.

Component and composite are two very different things. The main difference between component and HDMI is that the former is an analog signal, and thus susceptible to cable quality issues, interference, etc., but in the absence of those factors the picture quality between HDMI and component is basically the same.

#8340 TURDGAMER

TURDGAMER

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Today 11/19 is essentially Wii U launch day for people like me that mail ordered it. Mine is out for delivery with 17 games. I will be busy after work LOL!!