Photo
- - - - -

The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#8521 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I think I will try and find a system today. So far five Wal-Marts, five Gamestops, a Target and a BestBuy... all sold out of all units. Games are plentiful though.

I'm assuming you are talking about the deluxe? Nintendo clearly didn't understand demand properly and whoever in sales was responsible for making so many white units will probably lose his job.

When things start to sell out in stores they are sold out online even sooner. It always happens that way, scarce products are sold out online then you need to look in b&m's for it. That's what's happened with the deluxe. The fact that the basic unit can be purchased online shows that there is plenty of them out there.

It's also possible no one wants the basic unit bundles which is what can be purchased online from Walmart but if things were really bad with supply then those bundles would be sold out too.

#8522 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

What is the big knock on the white unit?

#8523 DemonsMaster

DemonsMaster

Jrpg Addicts Anonymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

8gb for storage when half of it is taken by the OS itself is pretty bad. For $50 more the amount of extras you get on top of the larger amount of storage is just a no-brainer. Nintendo Land itself is $59.99 MSRP.

#8524 FatherChesz

FatherChesz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

first freeze up

during halftime of a game in nba 2k13 both screen and gamepad went black and stuck on the music in the game

ejected the disc and music still played so i had to pull the plug from the back

hopefully its just a glitch in the game and not evidence of the system malfunctioning

sucks

Shit, is this a thing? I had the same thing happen in Nintendo Land after about an hour of play. I also had another similar freeze during the Wii data transfer where the only remedy was a plug pull. I restarted both times and haven't had any other issues.

Well, one time I got a message that said the GamePad connection was unstable, but I hit OK and never noticed any issues.

#8525 hoofrog

hoofrog

Game Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm assuming you are talking about the deluxe? Nintendo clearly didn't understand demand properly and whoever in sales was responsible for making so many white units will probably lose his job.

When things start to sell out in stores they are sold out online even sooner. It always happens that way, scarce products are sold out online then you need to look in b&m's for it. That's what's happened with the deluxe. The fact that the basic unit can be purchased online shows that there is plenty of them out there.

It's also possible no one wants the basic unit bundles which is what can be purchased online from Walmart but if things were really bad with supply then those bundles would be sold out too.

I am talking either unit. I have been to 80% of the stores listed, called them all and nothing on shelves at all, regular or deluxe.

#8526 Bakes

Bakes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Got an email on the 16th that my Target preorder had shipped. Still no tracking update from ups just the "shipping label has been created blah blah.." message. Should I be worried? Had selected the slowest shipping.

#8527 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Shit, is this a thing? I had the same thing happen in Nintendo Land after about an hour of play. I also had another similar freeze during the Wii data transfer where the only remedy was a plug pull. I restarted both times and haven't had any other issues.

I had my system lock up about six times on launch day, each time was when I was starting up a different app. I also had to pull the plug to get things running again. Then yesterday I didn't even have a single crash. Hopefully it's something that'll be addressed in the next system update.

#8528 x inFAMOUS x

x inFAMOUS x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Whats the best way to get a white or black one? I bought one already, but my brother in law wants one for his kids.

#8529 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I think I will try and find a system today. So far five Wal-Marts, five Gamestops, a Target and a BestBuy... all sold out of all units. Games are plentiful though.

My target last night had some Deluxe unit listed as in the stock room, but the electronics guy said they couldn't sell them because they were being held for Black Friday.

They aren't on sale on Black Friday and I would have bought games right then, so I don't understand holding back stock. Don't say in-stock if you're going to refuse to sell it. :censored:

#8530 omyard

omyard

dreaming neon black

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I wanted white, but with the extra storage, GamePad stand, GamePad charging cradle, console stand and Nintendo Land it was too good of a deal to ignore.

http://www.nintendo....ats-in-the-box/

The trade-off is a system and GamePad that easily show smudges.

#8531 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Unlike Sony, Nintendo made the difference between the 2 units HUGE...

• 8 GB (only 2 - 3 gb of usable space) vs 32
  • Includes the stand / charger bundle, which was listed as $20 dollars at Walmart
  • Nintendo land costs more than the difference alone (could easily sell for 20 - 40 and get back most of the cost)
  • DX program, which gives you 10% back on digital things purchased.
  • More traditional system color.

so you get 4x more storage, $80 dollars in content, "better" system color and the chance to make back a few more bucks digitally for $50 dollars. Seems like a no brainer to me.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#8532 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I am talking either unit. I have been to 80% of the stores listed, called them all and nothing on shelves at all, regular or deluxe.

Well then buy one of the online Walmart bundles?

#8533 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

A friend of mine had his system brick during the system update. :( I'm not sure of the details. He was doing the update now so it would be ready at Xmas. I hope he can get a replacement from Nintendo in time. :(

#8534 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Got an email on the 16th that my Target preorder had shipped. Still no tracking update from ups just the "shipping label has been created blah blah.." message. Should I be worried? Had selected the slowest shipping.

Nah, UPS takes forever sometimes to update their tracking. Give it time.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#8535 modano79

modano79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

For everyone who didn't get one, today is the deadline for people to pick up their pre orders at Walmart. I'm at one now and they said at 9am, they are releasing any pre order to whoever is in line. This is the wal mart off 20 and great southwest parkway in Grand Prairie Texas. They have 4 here now so it's worth a shot for anyone else. This is the deluxe unit!' Good luck!

#8536 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

A friend of mine had his system brick during the system update. :( I'm not sure of the details. He was doing the update now so it would be ready at Xmas. I hope he can get a replacement from Nintendo in time. :(

You are still within the return period...just return it to the store.

#8537 TURDGAMER

TURDGAMER

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

This system even the deluxe is not that hard to find. If you want one you will find one. The PS3 was much much worse at launch.

I got a Wii U deluxe and 20 games for it. I love when new game consoles come out!! I got it in the mail 11/19 and had a blast for hours after work. The system is fantastic!!! I like Madden 13 better on the Wii U than on my 360. Games I got are:

Madden 13
NBA2k13
Assassins creed 3
Ninja Gaiden 3
Mass Effect 3

Funky Barn
Mario U
Nintendo land
Transformers
Scribblenauts unlimited

Fifa soccer 13
Rabbids land
ESPN sports connection
Batman
Tank Tank Tank

Tekken Tag
Sonic Racing
Call Of Duty Black Ops 2
Darksiders 2
Zombi U

I have not gotten to them all yet but so far Call of duty and batman play very well but my favorite is Madden but I am a sports gamer. Mario U is an old school side scroll which is fun. I will be busy Thanksgiving Weekend for sure!!

#8538 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

I pre-ordered 2 of them at a local Target few weeks ago. Picked up both on Sunday with no issues. FWIW, during the initial setup, it couldn't find my hidden router. After an hour of trying (including resetting the modem/router & WiiU console), I turned it off. Couple hours later, it found my router the 1st time so go figure. Then again, the original Wii had this issue to & I'm pretty sure it's not my router since everything else (PS3, Vita, 3DS xL, laptop's, desktop's, cellphones, etc.) in my house recognized it the 1st time with no issues.

This system even the deluxe is not that hard to find. If you want one you will find one. The PS3 was much much worse at launch.

I got a Wii U deluxe and 20 games for it. I love when new game consoles come out!! I got it in the mail 11/19 and had a blast for hours after work. The system is fantastic!!! I like Madden 13 better on the Wii U than on my 360...

I have not gotten to them all yet but so far Call of duty and batman play very well but my favorite is Madden but I am a sports gamer. Mario U is an old school side scroll which is fun. I will be busy Thanksgiving Weekend for sure!!

Sheesh...20-games already?! Balling! If you've played these games on either 360 or PS3, how do they compare (graphics, play mechanics, etc.)?

- NBA 2K13
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2
- Batman
- Assassins Creed 3
- Sonic Racing
- Ninja Gaiden 3

How's ZombiU? I'm not a big fan of FPS (yes, I know I'm prolly in the 0.1% that doesn't like FPS's) but using the game pad has me intrigued. Thanks!
- Jimmy

Love me some arcade sticks!

#8539 chopper731

chopper731

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

The only knock is the small internal memory size but both memory sizes are pathetic and are going to require an external hard drive so people really make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is. I've got a basic white one right now and a black deluxe on the way but am going to just keep the basic and return the deluxe because I prefer white.

#8540 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Just a FYI for those who ordered the HORI screen protector from Amazon... mine is now marked as shipped, so hopefully they are starting to get all of the pre-orders out at least :)

Kat_Siggy80.png Katsumica.png

#8541 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

For everyone who didn't get one, today is the deadline for people to pick up their pre orders at Walmart. I'm at one now and they said at 9am, they are releasing any pre order to whoever is in line. This is the wal mart off 20 and great southwest parkway in Grand Prairie Texas. They have 4 here now so it's worth a shot for anyone else. This is the deluxe unit!' Good luck!

What? The deadline is in December 14th everywhere else, right?

#8542 TURDGAMER

TURDGAMER

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I pre-ordered 2 of them at a local Target few weeks ago. Picked up both on Sunday with no issues. FWIW, during the initial setup, it couldn't find my hidden router. After an hour of trying (including resetting the modem/router & WiiU console), I turned it off. Couple hours later, it found my router the 1st time so go figure. Then again, the original Wii had this issue to & I'm pretty sure it's not my router since everything else (PS3, Vita, 3DS xL, laptop's, desktop's, cellphones, etc.) in my house recognized it the 1st time with no issues.

Sheesh...20-games already?! Balling! If you've played these games on either 360 or PS3, how do they compare (graphics, play mechanics, etc.)?

- NBA 2K13
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2
- Batman
- Assassins Creed 3
- Sonic Racing
- Ninja Gaiden 3

How's ZombiU? I'm not a big fan of FPS (yes, I know I'm prolly in the 0.1% that doesn't like FPS's) but using the game pad has me intrigued. Thanks!

LOL I go nuts when a new system comes out. Not nuts enough to camp out for days but nuts enough to buy 20 games to try. I will sell most of them back after I am done to get some money back. Glyde.com is good for that.

The others I did not play on both systems only madden and batman I played on 360 and Wii U and in my opinion Wii U looks and plays better on those 2 games. From what I can tell the games are a bit better on Wii U in my opinion.

#8543 Nucking Futs

Nucking Futs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Just a FYI for those who ordered the HORI screen protector from Amazon... mine is now marked as shipped, so hopefully they are starting to get all of the pre-orders out at least :)

I hope they release a version for the entire front surface like they did for the Vita (in the attached link). Then again, since the screen's not flushed with the rest of the front, I don't see them releasing this unless it's 2 seperate pieces.

http://www.amazon.co... protector vita

LOL I go nuts when a new system comes out. Not nuts enough to camp out for days but nuts enough to buy 20 games to try. I will sell most of them back after I am done to get some money back. Glyde.com is good for that.

The others I did not play on both systems only madden and batman I played on 360 and Wii U and in my opinion Wii U looks and plays better on those 2 games. From what I can tell the games are a bit better on Wii U in my opinion.

Thanks for the quick response & info. Yeah, I bought Super Mario & Batman from Toys R Us (b1g1 40% promo) but haven't opened either one yet. I'm going to open Mario for sure, just didn't know about Batman. I'd like to get NBA 2K13 (those hot/cold index & career mode stats features when you put the game pad up to the TV is interesting), just not sure about using such a big game pad for that game.
- Jimmy

Love me some arcade sticks!

#8544 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

Has anybody's order from Fry's shipped?

#8545 NoMeDigas

NoMeDigas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

What? The deadline is in December 14th everywhere else, right?

My receipt says Dec. 14. I already have my Wii U, but I have a couple on lawaway at Wal-Mart for relatives. I was headed out there today. I find it rather dubious that a layaway purchase would be arbitrarily canceled three weeks before the deadline listed on the receipt without a phone call or email.

#8546 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

finally checked a demo out.. Rayman looks really good, but while I play considerably less and less games now I dont think I will keep my Wii U at the moment. I probably wouldnt keep an Xbox720 or PS4 right now either if it was new release, so its not bias, just not enough to interest for me. I dont want to Spend $375 +50 on a new mario.

Good luck to all those that get it, but after buying the 3ds at launch and losing the value there for as little as I played it I just cant justify the new system.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#8547 modano79

modano79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

My receipt says Dec. 14.

I dunno. I was just going by what the manager told me. Sure enough, 9 came and they released them. I got mine! :)

#8548 TheNeck

TheNeck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Good luck to all those that get it, but after buying the 3ds at launch and losing the value there for as little as I played it I just cant justify the new system.

yeah it sucked big time buying the 3ds at launch only for it to drop in price soon after.

if that happens to the wii u, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NINTENDO SYSTEM!

#8549 NoMeDigas

NoMeDigas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I dunno. I was just going by what the manager told me. Sure enough, 9 came and they released them. I got mine! :)

Weird. I just re-checked my receipt... it definitely says Dec. 14.

#8550 hoofrog

hoofrog

Game Whore

• CAGiversary!

Gamestop came through. I signed up for the wait list last week, probably 9th on the list for a Deluxe. Just picked it up. Sweet.