• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#1081 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

How was the SNES launch?

I actually remember walking into Ames with my Dad and buying it, I think the day it came out. There was a huge line but we weren't there all day or anything. It wasn't like outside the store.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#1082 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

All of the Gamestop stores in my area have signs up saying no more preorders for the Wii U. I might end up doing a preorder on ebay or craigslist.

This might be the biggest console launch ever.

#1083 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Its a gonna be crazy this a holiday season.

#1084 GunPanther

GunPanther

I whack the whak before the whak whacks back.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

How was the SNES launch?

I remember the SNES being very difficult to come by (bundled with Super Mario World) until about 1.5 months after the initial release date.

The real difficult thing to find back then was the software. The semi-strong (but fun) launch titles (F-Zero, Pilotwings, Sim City) were always in stock at most stores and some of the 3rd party titles such as "Actraiser" were notoriously difficult to find until about 1 months after the release.

It also didn't help that there weren't too many stores in existence (at least around here) that would get more than 6 copies of each game title at any given time. The internet wasn't really in widespread usage (aka available to the 'normal' public who are NOT computer-savvy types) until around 1996 so you could only depend on stores like Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys, Electronics Boutique, Funcoland and a slew of mom & pop stores that would carry those hard to track down game titles.

People today have so much technology at their disposal to help them buy items.
"Not sure how to solve your problems? Fill em' full of lead and see how many problems you have left. "

http://users.ign.com...mleader_panther

#1085 Belarr

Belarr

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

All of the Gamestop stores in my area have signs up saying no more preorders for the Wii U. I might end up doing a preorder on ebay or craigslist.

Just Deluxe(Already knew they sold out) or the basic too? (Already preordered mine) As someone on the west coast who has family members that want to preorder when our GS opens at 10am, inquiring minds want to know.

#1086 spawn33

spawn33

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

I remember the SNES being very difficult to come by (bundled with Super Mario World) until about 1.5 months after the initial release date.

The real difficult thing to find back then was the software. The semi-strong (but fun) launch titles (F-Zero, Pilotwings, Sim City) were always in stock at most stores and some of the 3rd party titles such as "Actraiser" were notoriously difficult to find until about 1 months after the release.

It also didn't help that there weren't too many stores in existence (at least around here) that would get more than 6 copies of each game title at any given time. The internet wasn't really in widespread usage (aka available to the 'normal' public who are NOT computer-savvy types) until around 1996 so you could only depend on stores like Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys, Electronics Boutique, Funcoland and a slew of mom & pop stores that would carry those hard to track down game titles.

I remember it selling out the same day it went on sale but not in the first 5 minutes....more like several hours later....
it is nothing today like it used to be in the old days

#1087 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Its a gonna be crazy this a holiday season.

If the new Xbox and PS both hit next year it'll be taken to a whole new level. ;)

#1088 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

You know not trying to create artificial hype but for as long as I can remember since the mike tyson punchout games. Nintendo has always had shortages of new hot products. They are masters at streamlining. They did it with the Wii.

A year plus after launch everytime you go in a store they were sold out creating a mental look like ohh it is still must be hot. I am not mad I get it but it is annoying.

#1089 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

You know not trying to create artificial hype but for as long as I can remember since the mike tyson punchout games. Nintendo has always had shortages of new hot products. They are masters at streamlining. They did it with the Wii.

A year plus after launch everytime you go in a store they were sold out creating a mental look like ohh it is still must be hot. I am not mad I get it but it is annoying.

Great marketing though. How many things stay hot for 2 holiday seasons?

#1090 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

Or they could have just made a quality product that was new anr revolutionary and had great marketing and everyone wanted. Especially the marketing about moving while playing instead of just sitting around. Every kid wanted this thing and the marketing said to parenta that they would be getting some activity in.

#1091 brutalny

brutalny

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Great marketing though. How many things stay hot for 2 holiday seasons?

This didn't work for them, they admitted to losing money because they couldn't keep up with the demand. For example, I skipped the wii entirely because I couldn't find one. If they make people wait a year, and the new xbox or playstation gets to be available they lose all their footing. Also, wii is the number 3 system. I'm sure everyone wants to see Nintendo get back into the top spot again. I certainly don't want to get a wii u to have it become another wii where there is only one good title per year & a bunch of wii fit or wii interactive game panel shit.

#1092 AcePuppy

AcePuppy

Yoshi Yoshi!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

Just noticed the following 3 bundles via Google Search that aren't showing in a Gamestop search on there website. Google Redirects to broken links, but the details are below.

https://lh3.googleus...7w=s90-c$439.97 - Wii U Ninja Bundle for Nintendo Wii U - http://www.google.co...lm0JEGw_KxwZheA

https://lh4.googleus...iA=s90-c$459.96 - Wii U Family Bundle for Nintendo Wii U - http://www.google.co...sM_zl7MTKcLiBXQ

https://lh6.googleus...5hQ=s90-c509.96 - Wii U Big Boy Bundle for Nintendo Wii U - http://www.google.co...X4N6huW1mpfpCcg

Edited by AcePuppy, 16 September 2012 - 02:20 PM.
Adding Google Search Image of Products

#1093 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

^ Links don't work

I need a new signature.

#1094 AcePuppy

AcePuppy

Yoshi Yoshi!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

^ Links don't work

Hence why I said "they aren't showing in a Gamestop search on there website." Which means they're dead links. You need to do a Google Shopping Search to find them, they redirect to a broken Gamestop page.

#1095 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hence why I said "they aren't showing in a Gamestop search on there website." Which means they're dead links. You need to do a Google Shopping Search to find them, they redirect to a broken Gamestop page.

My apologies. I shouldn't post before 10 am on the weekend

I need a new signature.

#1096 Saroyan

Saroyan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I remember the SNES launch very well, I was 13 and spent the entire summer mowing lawns and doing other odd jobs around the neighborhood to save up money to buy it at release. On launch day I had my money and got my mom to drive me to the mall. I was going to buy it from Electronics Boutique but when we got there they were sold out, I was so heartbroken, lol. The Software etc. store was sold out too, so as a last resort we walked over to Kay Bee toys and they had like 4 left so the day was saved :bouncy:

#1097 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Also, wii is the number 3 system.

Uhhh what? The Wii is the top-selling of this generation by almost 30 million.

http://en.wikipedia....soles#Worldwide

fs_overall.png

#1098 wohomerhoo

wohomerhoo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Looks like Amazon took down all the 3rd party sellers. It now show Currently Unavailable.

I know it's a crap shoot at this point but I have hope. Having Amazon Credit in this case has worked against me.

#1099 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

ooo ds so close

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1100 Hades79

Hades79

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

I wonder how big the grey market is going to be for this. Sold out everywhere already?

#1101 armandxp

armandxp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Did anyone ever find out about Target's preorder policy? I called today and was told that a preorder would be charged to your card and would not be removed until ship date? Was curious if anyone else called.

#1102 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well call me a sucker. Honestly, the real suckers were those who bought the PS3 (in which at launch was a glorified blu-ray player) for $599/$699 at launch. You can keep the blu-ray. Besides, Nintendo will not give Sony any money for using their technology. A new format will be coming soon anyway. So I'm on board.

Me and the wife actually have decided to brave black friday this year, if the deals are worth it atleast. I hope my pre-order is good because I don't want to have to camp out in line twice in one week, that would suck

I keep seeing this, its just plain bad information. Last year a software company developed a new codec that is so efficient that they will be able to stick 4K movies on a Blu Ray Disc, that is waaaay more space. 4K is 4x the resolution.

If the U is in stock on.BF and on sale, that will make for interesting morning news

#1103 Lexicon

Lexicon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Looks like Amazon took down all the 3rd party sellers. It now show Currently Unavailable.

I know it's a crap shoot at this point but I have hope. Having Amazon Credit in this case has worked against me.

That's because Amazon doesn't allow you to presell items and they will pull them down if they notice.

Delayed shipments or pre-sells are prohibited. Items offered through Amazon Marketplace must be shipped within two business days of the date the order confirmation is made available to you. Therefore, you should not list or match against items that Amazon designates as pre-orderable.

#1104 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Not sure if they were taken down or if people ordered them.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png champloo4.png

#1105 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

FYI, bestbuy just shot me an email saying they backordered my wii-u deluxe pre-order. So beware with bestbuy.

what a shocker!! best buy cant track their inventory i dont know why anyone would put faith in them.

gamestop is the most reliable source here for a preorder.

#1106 zaw73

zaw73

Nothing to see here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

I ordered it with it Fry's (never used them before). Looks like I fell for Nintendo's "marketing" and decided to grab one. Thanks for looking out...

#1107 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

what a shocker!! best buy cant track their inventory i dont know why anyone would put faith in them.

gamestop is the most reliable source here for a preorder.

well, I preordered from bestbuy and my order says in process. Keep dreaming if you think everyone that preorodered from any source will get the wii u

DaviVascaino.png         Davivascaino.png

#1108 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

well, I preordered from bestbuy and my order says in process. Keep dreaming if you think everyone that preorodered from any source will get the wii u

not saying all best buy preorders will get screwed merely stating best buy is very prone to not knowing how to track inventory properly....just look at their B2G1 sales online a good half of those go unfulfilled and backordered or cancelled. then we have their inability to properly check stock in stores. you could have 5 copies of a game in store but online might say its unavailable or you could have nothing in store but online says available.

#1109 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

How reliable is Fry's? They will charge me shipping, but I'm guessing I wouldn't pay tax in MD. But scared to cancel my order at Best Buy....

Crunchewy.png

#1110 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Or maybe they just didn't offer up many pre-orders especially online ones.