The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#1291 gamerguy73

gamerguy73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does Best Buy put an authorization hold immediately on my account?

#1292 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

Why wouldn't you want the deluxe model? For $50 more you get three accessories, a game, and the premium online service. Sounds like a deal to me!

Because it's black. I have enough black stuff. Why can't I buy premium in white?

#1293 QSilverTwo

QSilverTwo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does Best Buy put an authorization hold immediately on my account?

yes

#1294 paulwekiva

paulwekiva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

I have my Wii-U locked in but I want to encourage those that didn't get in on it so far.

I don't think any nationwide store knows how many systems they are actually going to get, or even how many they are SUPPOSED to get. Toys R Us, in example, was stating to "check back soon" to see if they are offering additional pre-orders for the deluxe.

I think that you will see additional pre-orders become available between now and launch day, just be patient, keep checking, and pre-order a basic version in Best Buy brick and mortar for $5 just in case.

#1295 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

I have my Wii-U locked in but I want to encourage those that didn't get in on it so far.

I don't think any nationwide store knows how many systems they are actually going to get, or even how many they are SUPPOSED to get. Toys R Us, in example, was stating to "check back soon" to see if they are offering additional pre-orders for the deluxe.

I think that you will see additional pre-orders become available between now and launch day, just be patient, keep checking, and pre-order a basic version in Best Buy brick and mortar for $5 just in case.

I think stores know how many they are supposed to get roughly. I mean if stores didn't know how much they were going to get, and then they took 25 extra preorders, there would be fights, angry shoppers, and just an overall bad experience. I seriously think that Nintendo is trying to avoid the negative PR like that, or so I hope.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1296 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

I realize it sounds naive, but I'd have to guess that stores have at least some tiny notion of how many systems they're being allocated. Keeping consumers happy is nice, but let's be fair... they're turning away money. Money that will just sit and earn interest for the company for at least 2 months. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't imagine companies are turning that away without a decent reason.

It'll become clearer if pre-orders open back up between now and launch, but for now I'll believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and that stores aren't just pulling this out of their asses.

#1297 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

In all fairness, toys r us is horrible in terms of actually knowing anything about anything. Id believe Gamestop first and Best Buy second as far as having any knowledge or organization of the issue.

#1298 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:41 AM

Just called my Best Buy (Pacoima, CA) and they stopped taking preorders for the Deluxe in-store. The Basic is still available, but even the girl on the phone kind of laughed that one off. Glad I got mine in and I hope this means good news come November 18th.

#1299 Donuts

Donuts

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

I'm late to Wii-U news and I'm thinking about grabbing one, but can anyone tell me if there's a certain benefit to pre-ordering a unit? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the regular vs deluxe vs waiting all together for a price drop. It'll most likely be through gamestop so I can get rid of this paperweight 360

#1300 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Basic really isn't bad. There's less internal storage but you can plug in a flash drive, SDHC card. Or even a USB hard drive of any size. You're not getting the including accessories like the charging cradle, but you can buy those separate. The only thing you can't get is the club thingy, but nobody knows what that will offer. I think the only thing mentioned (so far?) is a small rebate on eshop purchases.

#1301 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:01 AM

I am hearing on forums that we will not be guaranteed a Wii-u on launch date if so when i come in on november 18 i am going to rage if i dont get a Wii-u

Why not? From what retailer?

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#1302 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

I have 4 white Wiimote controllers and getting the black Deluxe system. Not too happy about that.

I feel you on that. I traded mine off when I got the mario edition wii. Perhaps your local target still has some of the fling smash bundles on clearance.
Now I have 2 black, 2 Red & 2 Gold. The children with the sticky hands get the black ones =D

I did the same thing. Gamestop was running a promo at the time, and I ended up trading in my white Wii that nearly paid for the new black one.

I was never so happy to get rid of my white wii, even made a little money off of it between trading it in and then buying 2 of the Mario Wii with Kmarts instant $50 coupon. (I wanted to have 2 of the red wii remotes and nunchucks)

#1303 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:25 AM

I feel you on that. I traded mine off when I got the mario edition wii. Perhaps your local target still has some of the fling smash bundles on clearance.
Now I have 2 black, 2 Red & 2 Gold. The children with the sticky hands get the black ones =D

Same here. I've got two white ones right now with two white nunchuks and a white classic controller. I normally wouldn't mind, but because I bought this stuff in 07, the cords on the three accessories have aged and now show a bit yellowing. I've got half a mind to go buy some shrink tube and cover the cords in black. :\

#1304 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

Yeah, for me it was like this:
{snip}
So, yeah, all in all, I'd say the Deluxe is a no-brainer and based on the current preorder trends I'd say most people agree with that.

that's how I feel about. But the basic seems too high in comparison. Curious to know what the split in availability is between the two models: 50/50 60/40 70/30???

Now I have 2 black, 2 Red & 2 Gold.

Not even sure how many wiimotes I have around the place. Know there are at least two white, at least two black and the 1 gold, 1 Tron, 1 mini powerA model. Think I also have two motion+ units. Almost bought the Doctor Who one. Still think about every now and then (like now).

#1305 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

The Target system pissed me off when the Wii came out. I had quit my store after working there for 3 years in the summer of 06, my roommate still worked there and was the team leader in Electronics. Well he tells me their second shipment of Wiis were coming in so I got up early, went there to get a ticket.

Guy comes out, hands everyone pieces of papers with numbers on it. He said that they didnt have tickets so they were using this. I asked that since I had this, id be good to get my system? He said yes. I said alright, so its cool if I run to get some food and come back before 8 and ill be good to go? He said yeah, no problem.

So I ran to McDonalds, got some food. Came back few minutes before 8, they walked us to electronics, I gave the guy my ticket, and he said that wasn't the ticket so he wouldn't give it to me.

Turns out while I was gone, the assistant store manager came out and gave everyone a real ticket in exchange for the paper written one. I was pissed. He knew me and I told him what happened and he was like "I have no idea what you are talking about, there is no guy that did that"

It was the undercover AP guy so I knew who he was but he just kept smiling acting like he had no idea what was going on. I knew he did this on purpose just to screw me over, was so pissed.

Anyways, i'll check my local Best Buy tomorrow (Deptford, NJ) and see if they are still taking pre-orders.

I still feel good with GameStop because they have ensured me twice on two separate occasions that it will be based on who pre-ordered first and since I was the first, I will get it for sure. I even told him what you guys on here have said, that they will just hand them out to anyone there that had a pre-order and he was shocked and was like "Yeah, we would never do that at our store, even if district told us to"

At anyrate, just to be safe, ill get there a few hours before midnight and make sure I get it first. I have a back up pre-order at Best Buy but sadly, I can't be at two midnight launches at once. (Unless I send my g/f or a friend to Best Buy)

#1306 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

I think stores know how many they are supposed to get roughly. I mean if stores didn't know how much they were going to get, and then they took 25 extra preorders, there would be fights, angry shoppers, and just an overall bad experience. I seriously think that Nintendo is trying to avoid the negative PR like that, or so I hope.

I remember alot of negative PR when the PS3 came out but not so much for the Wii. Maybe I just missed it

I need a new signature.

#1307 melancholysp

melancholysp

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

I kinda feel silly preordering the Basic model on day 1, seeing as most retailers still have it available. I just really, really want a white console at expense of all the extras.

#1308 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

Tokyo Game Show is coming up this week starting Thursday. Maybe we will get some more surprises from Nintendo and something from Sony(PS3 price drop along with new slim model?).

#1309 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Tokyo Game Show is coming up this week starting Thursday. Maybe we will get some more surprises from Nintendo and something from Sony(PS3 price drop along with new slim model?).

Nintendo doesnt do TGS.

#1310 Zazoo

Zazoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Not even sure how many wiimotes I have around the place. Know there are at least two white, at least two black and the 1 gold, 1 Tron, 1 mini powerA model. Think I also have two motion+ units. Almost bought the Doctor Who one. Still think about every now and then (like now).

Wait there's a dr who wii mote?! Oh don't tempt me I have enough lol

I kinda feel silly preordering the Basic model on day 1, seeing as most retailers still have it available. I just really, really want a white console at expense of all the extras.

No need to feel silly all the extras can be bought and an external hd solves the memory issue. Get what you want regardless of what kind of deal the deluxe is

If the colors had been switched I would be buying the basic.

#1311 Prison Mike

Prison Mike

Don't Drop The Soap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Both versions available online at Frys again

#1312 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

all gone now... =(

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Sorcery Saga, :3ds: N/A, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#1313 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Walmart bundles for both basic and premium are back in stock. This time though, instead of a Wiimote it comes with a Wii U Pro Controller.

#1314 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

I couldn't resist. I just preordered walmart deluxe bundle with black pro controller. I almost ordered yesterday but just could not bring myself to pay for another wii mote considering how many I have. Now with the pro controller offered as an option for $10 more I jumped on it. Mario Wii U game too. Delievery 11-21 - 11-29th I think is what it said. I really wanted a white one but I wanted nintendo land too and the extra 24 gigs of memory will probably save me from ever having to buy a memory card. I like supporting nintendo and I like having an early system off the line.

#1315 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

argh, missed out again. 20 minutes??? You guys are damn fast. =)

edaa9c273976.png

Currently Playing:  :vita: Sorcery Saga, :3ds: N/A, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#1316 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

I bought a ps3 bundle off of Walmart.com at launch and was able to return everything that came with the bundle in store without a problem. There was nothing indicating it was a package deal on the receipt. things could have changed since then though.

#1317 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm excited for it, just seems so expensive for what it is though. Like 500 bucks for the system, 2 games, and a Pro controller. Never thought I would spend half a grand on a Nintendo console.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#1318 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

I couldn't resist. I just preordered walmart deluxe bundle with black pro controller. I almost ordered yesterday but just could not bring myself to pay for another wii mote considering how many I have. Now with the pro controller offered as an option for $10 more I jumped on it. Mario Wii U game too. Delievery 11-21 - 11-29th I think is what it said. I really wanted a white one but I wanted nintendo land too and the extra 24 gigs of memory will probably save me from ever having to buy a memory card. I like supporting nintendo and I like having an early system off the line.

Argh, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this. You could easily sell the Pro controller for $40 right after launch and only be out $10 for convenience. The only issue is that you're not going to have the system on launch day. Worse yet, you're probably not going to have you system for Thanksgiving weekend.

Or I could just ignore all the bonuses with the premium and stick with the Best Buy pre-order for the standard. Nintendo is really going to shoot themselves in the foot if the premium membership that comes with the deluxe model offers any benefits outside of that 10% off.

#1319 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

I could see the pro controller being very difficult to find before Christmas. Back when the wii launched, the wii motes were really scarce and almost as hard to get as the system. I don't know enough about the wii u to know what games are designed for which controllers though.

#1320 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Argh, I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this. You could easily sell the Pro controller for $40 right after launch and only be out $10 for convenience. The only issue is that you're not going to have the system on launch day. Worse yet, you're probably not going to have you system for Thanksgiving weekend.

Or I could just ignore all the bonuses with the premium and stick with the Best Buy pre-order for the standard. Nintendo is really going to shoot themselves in the foot if the premium membership that comes with the deluxe model offers any benefits outside of that 10% off.

You can not select the wii motion plus controllers from the walmart solution bundle any longer. I just placed my order for the deluxe/lego/pro controller combo. All is said and done, $500.

edaa9c273976.png