The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#2011 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

While what the Best Buy employee said is likely pure crap, I dont get why every is treating Best Buy pre-orders like they are pure gold that is guaranteed. How many other times have we seen things go horribly wrong there?

If I had my order there, I'd make damn sure I was still the first person at that door.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2012 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

While what the Best Buy employee said is likely pure crap, I dont get why every is treating Best Buy pre-orders like they are pure gold that is guaranteed. How many other times have we seen things go horribly wrong there?

If I had my order there, I'd make damn sure I was still the first person at that door.

Yeah, best buy seems to be a shitty place to have a pre order.

#2013 soxxx

soxxx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

Im confident Bestbuy will have extras for people that didnt buy. When wii launched I camped 14 hours, I was #40 out of 82 I believe. By the time they started handing out tickets at 8 a.m. their was over 600 people their.

Don't think for a second Bestbuy wont have any for those who didnt preorder. I guarentee you every store will have at least 10, they need to advertise it in their Sunday flyer and it is illegal to advertise if their are none actually for sale. Bestbuy wants 100s of people at their store, once when they get those 500+ parents in the store, chances are a 1/10 of them walk out buying something like a 3DS. Thats 50 people buying Vitas, 3ds, Wii, WHATEVER!

Trust me Bestbuy will fullfill all preorders and will have a couple extras wether it be 1 or 10. And to all those worried, when the Wii launched the 2nd shipment arrived for Black friday, so EVERY store will be restocked 4 days later. Trust me though, when the Wii hit their was hype, but by the end of the day the hype was through the roof and thats when it built up like crazy and by black friday their were lines probably even larger than the lines on launch day itself.

#2014 soxxx

soxxx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

Another thing, the BEST shot to get a Wii U is either launch day or Black friday. After that its a free for all and you just have to be lucky, and you have to call everday.

I remember my mom calling Gamestop for PS3 around 1 p.m. a few weeks after launch and the gamestop guy litteraly said that the truck just pulled up and they had PS3s so my mom rushed over their.

So the whole lining up in the morning doesnt work either, cuz gamestops get shipments any time in the day so its just a huge guess. If your getting a Wii U, get it launch day. Its going to be a complete free for all after black friday.

#2015 bthar

bthar

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

This is my first pre-order (TRU store). The Wii U will be a Christmas gift for my kids, so guaranteeing launch day arrival doesn't matter much to me. For those of you who have experienced pre-order "chaos", is it reasonable to expect mine will be filled in time for Christmas, even if TRU didn't estimate their launch day inventory correctly?

#2016 soxxx

soxxx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

This is my first pre-order (TRU store). The Wii U will be a Christmas gift for my kids, so guaranteeing launch day arrival doesn't matter much to me. For those of you who have experienced pre-order "chaos", is it reasonable to expect mine will be filled in time for Christmas, even if TRU didn't estimate their launch day inventory correctly?

By Christmas? you are definately safe. As I said, even if some preorders arent fullfilled, the 2nd shipment comes black friday 4 days later. So by that time just get ahold of the manager and make sure they put 1 aside for black friday.

I honestly am expecting no problems from anystores. The Wii and PS3 launches went smoothly. The only major launch problem came when gamestop took 100+ preorders for every store and then only reciever 10 or so Xbox 360s. After that fiasco gamestop came back the next year and had solid launches for the Wii and PS3 without any reported problems at all.

Im a little nervous about Bestbuy though because for the Wii launch there were no preorders. Only gamestop/ebgames took preorder. Now TRU, Target, Bestbuy, Kmart, Sears are all taking preorders which is a first for console launches.

It used to be, if you didnt have a preorder at Gamestop you had no choice but to campout at bestbuy, TRU, etc. Now it seems like their wont be as many campouts.

#2017 Paladinion

Paladinion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

My store manager told me that they cut off preorders at gs to be 100% sure that they were going to be able to fufill pre-orders. Do I believe her?

Fuck No

But the other nugget of info she had for me was that since its a Sunday launch, she WILL NOT have a midnight release for the console, and that you will have to pick it up in the morning. Luckily I know my manager well and she has done stuff for me in the past like letting me return a month old used Wii I purchased, so she promised to set all of my stuff I ordered aside for me so I can just walk in, have her scan my power up card, and walk out.

makes sense since im buying like 500+ in stuff, I want to be guarenteed my console.
Black console
ZombieU
New super mario brothers U
Black ops 2
Pro controller (black of course)

and somewhere along the line i need to get a few Wiimote +'s

*sigh* its gonna be a very expensive November.

btw anybody else see that footage of Dragon quest X on the wii u? that better come to America...

#2018 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

My store manager told me that they cut off preorders at gs to be 100% sure that they were going to be able to fufill pre-orders. Do I believe her?

Fuck No

To be honest, when I went to pick up my 3DS they did have enough units for people who preordered. No extras, just for preorders. So there might be some truth there.

I really don't care if I get mine on launch or not, it's more of a am I with my GS.com preorder going to be guaranteed a console at some point so I don't have to go out to a store trying to find one of these fuckers.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#2019 Kyanos

Kyanos

Big Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

Fuck No

But the other nugget of info she had for me was that since its a Sunday launch, she WILL NOT have a midnight release for the console, and that you will have to pick it up in the morning. Luckily I know my manager well and she has done stuff for me in the past like letting me return a month old used Wii I purchased, so she promised to set all of my stuff I ordered aside for me so I can just walk in, have her scan my power up card, and walk out.

makes sense since im buying like 500+ in stuff, I want to be guarenteed my console.
Black console
ZombieU
New super mario brothers U
Black ops 2
Pro controller (black of course)

and somewhere along the line i need to get a few Wiimote +'s

*sigh* its gonna be a very expensive November.

btw anybody else see that footage of Dragon quest X on the wii u? that better come to America...

I have no experience with the GameStop I will be getting mine from this time, but I'm hoping for a midnight release. The one I got the Wii from was a very smooth experience and I don't want to deal with all the people in the morning being upset about not getting one.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2020 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

Im confident Bestbuy will have extras for people that didnt buy. When wii launched I camped 14 hours, I was #40 out of 82 I believe. By the time they started handing out tickets at 8 a.m. their was over 600 people their.

I'm calling BS on this, 600 people in line outside a TRU would be a damn near riot, the Police would have shut the store down. There were not 600 people in line waiting for a Wii anywhere, ever. Wii was available of the shelf beginning with the second shipment. They didn't become hard to get until maybe a week or two before Christmas, but they weren't selling for anything close to a premium.

#2021 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

I honestly have very little to no worry that Gamestop will be able to fill all their stock. I have never had a single problem with a pre-ordered console there, even with the Wii/PS3/360 chaos.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2022 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Uh.. I worked at Best Buy during the Wii. As soon as a truck came in they were gone before they even made it to the shelf, lol.

#2023 fezlopez

fezlopez

Jill Valentine's BF

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

Guys, one more place is accepting preorders! I updated it with the Nebraska Furniture Mart.

If you have useful info to add (prices, availability, or even if you can pre order at the mart) please add it!
Hmmmmm, hamburgers......

#2024 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:17 AM

I'm calling BS on this, 600 people in line outside a TRU would be a damn near riot, the Police would have shut the store down. There were not 600 people in line waiting for a Wii anywhere, ever. Wii was available of the shelf beginning with the second shipment. They didn't become hard to get until maybe a week or two before Christmas, but they weren't selling for anything close to a premium.

I can't speak to the 600, but living in Southern California and actively looking for a Wii for myself and a couple of friends with kids in the period running up until Christmas that first year, I can state unequivocally that they were hard to find and whenever even a rumor of a store getting a shipment got out, people lined up. They also sold for well above MSRP on Ebay and Craigslist up until Christmas. In fact, the Wii wasn't readily available on shelves for almost 18 months after launch and consistently sold out within hours every time a local Target, Walmart, Best Buy, TRU, etc...got them in.

#2025 Paladinion

Paladinion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

The problem Im seeing with almost all pre-orders going on is that it seems like everywhere over ordered by a lot. What are the chances of 1 bb store getting over 50-100 consoles? I just get the feeling theres gonna be a lot of upset people when launch day rolls around. Im just hoping the people who actually like Nintendo and want to play this thing get one for their families before the guy ahead of you who pre-purchased 7 of them to try and flip on ebay.

Also for a fun story about the Wii launch....i was promised a Wii for xmas that year but we had no idea about preorders so my brother and I went out to get it. We went to Meijer but there was a line that wrapped all the way around the outside of the store so we gave up. Luckily K-mart was across from us and only two people were waiting for the wii. I was beyond excited as we stood there at 8pm waiting for midnight. Hours passed and the line got much longer, I didn't care tho since I was number 3 in line and guaranteed my console in my eyes. So after a few more hours it was around 11:30 and the night manager came out and started handing numbers to everyone in order. Now i was super pumped. Shortly after we were led into the store...all 200 or so of us and asked to gather around the electronics department. We were told they had 10 Wiis in stock...by now I could taste Zelda. Then my world came crashing down....in the name of "fairness" she told us that she will be pulling 10 numbers out of a bin and that those people would be getting a console. I was devastated but the people who waited in line in front of me, i still remember the look on his face when he said "F*** me...".

Of course, I lost...so I got to hold onto my copy of Twilight Princess and the stratedgy guide for over 9 months before I happened to go grocery shopping in Meijer one day and strolled passed the electronics section to see them putting 2 consoles in the case. I stood there holding the console for a hour while my mom finished her shopping then purchased it for me when she was done. This was in september of the next year, this is how rare the consoles were in my area.

I called stores every single day asking if they had any and the answer of course was always no, I did this for like 4 months before i gave up and dumb luck got me my unit finally.

#2026 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

Uh.. I worked at Best Buy during the Wii. As soon as a truck came in they were gone before they even made it to the shelf, lol.

I had a friend who worked Geek Squad during the months before and after launch and he had to answer the store phone for a few hours a day and if you really wanted to get him upset when he was off, all you had to do was call his cell phone and ask if they had any Wiis in stock. He said at one point literally half the calls he received were from people asking if they had the Wii and trying to find out when the next shipment was coming in. The demand was serious and unrelenting for a very long time.

#2027 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

Yeah, I worked at customer service. Every freaking call was asking if we had Wiis in stock.

#2028 raptor3076

raptor3076

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

Didn't they have Wii tracker websites? I swear I remember seeing one. I do know that I camped out on black friday to get a Wii and by the time the store opened we had around 100 in line...for 4 Wiis

#2029 Ericsc

Ericsc

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

I wonder if something is up between Amazon and Nintendo -- Amazon doesn't have the 3DS XL yet. Only available from 3rd party sellers.

Something’s Not Right Between Nintendo And Amazon

"We don't talk about our specific business practices with individual retailers, and so you're not going to get any more information from me specific to Amazon or any of our different retail partners," he told me last week in an interview.

"What I can tell you is they are selling software, and [there] are resellers that are on the site selling hardware as well, but you're right: Amazon as a direct sale company currently does not sell Nintendo hardware."

Fils-Aime wouldn't say more than that.

Posted Image

#2030 scblueeyedguy

scblueeyedguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

The 2 times I camped out for a Wii, I was the very last person to get one. Felt bad for the other people waiting just behind me. Most went on to buy other stuff. The best one was when I called Walmart one time and happened to walk up there to buy the last one. Even though I resold the Wii's I bought, I did donate one to a children's hospital to keep some good karma. lol

#2031 jedimario

jedimario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

I was told by best buy representative that not all customers are guaranteed a system and thats at any store....now mind you best buy is not doing a midnight release at least in my area but i will be there 10 or 11 am whatever time they open november 18th

So does that apply to preorders too? I was in there the other day and they said they would set preorders aside?

#2032 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

I hope its not too late to pre-order at BestBuy or Gamestop. Going to attempt to pre-order later this week.

I'll be fine if I can't though since I will most likely get bored of it and resell it but still.

I just hope that during launch there is 100's of people in line trying to get the console that didn't pre-order it.

#2033 io

io

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

^ I hate to tell you, but you are a few weeks too late, especially for Gamestop. And it looks like Best Buy has at least stopped taking preorders. It could be that what that rep meant wasn't that they were cancelling people's existing preorders but that they were cancelling the notion of taking more preorders. At this point they probably realize they want the systems in the store to get people to come in (and buy other stuff when they can't get a Wii U).

Wow - you must have lived in an alternative universe. While the hysteria over the Wii didn't pick up till December, they were definitely sold out before that. When GS had preorders you had to camp out jsut to get the preorder. They announced it a little more ahead of time back then. I'm so glad it kind of slipped under the radar with the Wii U and I was able to go in at 11 am the first day and get one no problem.

And they sure as hell sold for a premium through Christmas and well beyond. They were selling for about double retail even on eBay (which was flooded with them) through most of December.

Shortly after we were led into the store...all 200 or so of us and asked to gather around the electronics department. We were told they had 10 Wiis in stock...by now I could taste Zelda. Then my world came crashing down....in the name of "fairness" she told us that she will be pulling 10 numbers out of a bin and that those people would be getting a console. I was devastated but the people who waited in line in front of me, i still remember the look on his face when he said "F*** me...".

I couldn't tell you how angry this would have made me if I was in line for 4-5 hours. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. What they should have done was come out around 9-10 and let people in line know they only had 10 so the people who came later didn't waste their time. Instead they made 200 people waste various amounts of time, then crammed them into the store, and then let (most of) them down? That manager would have been fired on the spot if I was her boss.

As for GS preorders, as others have said, they should be pretty solid. They took so few of them just so that they can fulfill them The Wii launch went just fine 6 years ago. And that was also a Sunday launch, right? They definitely did the midnight thing then. I have fond memories of picking up that system and setting it up late at night to show the family the next day. Those were innocent days when Miis were shiny and new and playing old Mario (Virtual Console) games on the TV was a cool new concept.

Don't forget that GS has tons of experience with preorders (much to the annoyance of many customers ;)) and knows how to do them. Chances are some local manager won't pull some BS like that Kmart manager and in the interest of "fairness" just start handing out everyone's preorders to whoever walks in the door. Preorders are GS's bread and butter a least with respect to new products (used games are obviously their primary money-maker). They will do all they can not to screw that up - otherwise who would preorder anything from them again?

#2034 wyatt8

wyatt8

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

The 2 times I camped out for a Wii, I was the very last person to get one. Felt bad for the other people waiting just behind me. Most went on to buy other stuff. The best one was when I called Walmart one time and happened to walk up there to buy the last one. Even though I resold the Wii's I bought, I did donate one to a children's hospital to keep some good karma. lol

Imagine their relief after they actually played the Wii and exclaimed, "What a hype machine! This things sucks ass!"

Luckily for Nintendo there are enough people that haven't learned a hard enough lesson from the first Wii that they are willing to gamble on the Wii U...that or 6 years time has made their memories a little hazy.
Get hundreds of used classic video games at http://www.warpzonevideogames.com - Great Prices! Great Selection!

#2035 io

io

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Imagine their relief after they actually played the Wii and exclaimed, "What a hype machine! This things sucks ass!"

Luckily for Nintendo there are enough people that haven't learned a hard enough lesson from the first Wii that they are willing to gamble on the Wii U...that or 6 years time has made their memories a little hazy.

Or, you could not be a fanboy. The Wii ended up being disappointing to a great many people (me included). But for the first year or two it was good for what it was. And even at the end of its life, it still had some great games. Xenoblade Chronicles is top 2 or 3 for me this generation and it was on the lowly Wii.

And maybe some of us have actually played the Wii U and see the potential. At the very least, it is a system on par (if not better) than the oh-so-wonderful PS3/360 but yet will have first-party Nintendo games (finally in HD). And that alone makes it worth a purchase.

#2036 Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

If Best Buy opens at 10 am, what do you think would be a good time to get there and line up? An hour before? More?

Sorry, I've never bought a major console day-of release. Thanks.

#2037 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

I would check in 10-12 hours before and look at the line
Posted Image

#2038 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

We get it. You are poor and cannot afford to buy one. No need to hate one those who can.

#2039 slppedyoursster

slppedyoursster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I definitely remember the hysteria around the Wii and that is why I pre-ordered a WiiU thru GameStop. I have no problem with the fact that I am going to flip that sucker. In fact, I might even decide to sell it to a CAG for a decent amount below ebay prices but we will cross that bridge later. Anyway, according to a local GameStop employee in Cincinnati, Toys R us was the last retailer that had any WiiU consoles available for pre-order and those are all gone too. I tend to believe him because this was after I pre-ordered the WiiU from him a week earlier.

#2040 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Awesome just talked to my Gamestop manager. He said he was 100% sure that everyone at his store that pre-ordered is getting one. And considering how long he has been there and how many hookups he has given me, I dont doubt his credibility.

Time to sit back and watch as everyone goes crazy trying to find one
Posted ImagePosted Image