The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#2041 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

We get it. You are poor and cannot afford to buy one. No need to hate one those who can.

Exactly. So transparent.

#2042 Gareee

Gareee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Anyone know what the status is of preorders at local walmart stores? Ours said they did not know arrival date, or quantity, so they are not taking preorders. Sounds like we might get in on the ground floor there, if I can get them to take a preorder.

#2043 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I would check in 10-12 hours before and look at the line

If the Best Buy is close I would check in the afternoon like at 3-4, then about 9pm. If no one is lined up then, then I would suggest maybe like 4-5 AM.

It never hurts to be too cautious.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#2044 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Something’s Not Right Between Nintendo And Amazon

Posted Image

It's got to be about the WiiU vs the Kindle.
[cp][/cp]

#2045 gamerguy73

gamerguy73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Nebraska Furniture Mart

Just called and they wouldn't sell one to me since I haven't made a purchase in their store before.
Don't understand why. But both models are available.

#2046 nightmarishhero

nightmarishhero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Just came back from a gamestop that gets little traffic, to trade in an old ps3, after the trade I was curious and asked about being on the wii u list. The Manager there told me that you can put your name down for one of the wii u bundles and will receive a call when one comes in to let you know. The "bundles" he was referring to were the deluxe and basic. He said it would either cost 349.99 or 299.99

I remember reading that people were sure that gamestop would include forced extras to increase the price of the post pre-order wii u. I know this guy's word is not the end all for gamestop. Just wanted to let people know how it went, I was number 5 on the list, literally hand written on a legal pad, with name, phone number, and type of "wii u bundle" you wanted

#2047 fezlopez

fezlopez

Jill Valentine's BF

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Just came back from a gamestop that gets little traffic, to trade in an old ps3, after the trade I was curious and asked about being on the wii u list. The Manager there told me that you can put your name down for one of the wii u bundles and will receive a call when one comes in to let you know. The "bundles" he was referring to were the deluxe and basic. He said it would either cost 349.99 or 299.99

I remember reading that people were sure that gamestop would include forced extras to increase the price of the post pre-order wii u. I know this guy's word is not the end all for gamestop. Just wanted to let people know how it went, I was number 5 on the list, literally hand written on a legal pad, with name, phone number, and type of "wii u bundle" you wanted

Nah man, you were #5 on the list for the day
Hmmmmm, hamburgers......

#2048 fezlopez

fezlopez

Jill Valentine's BF

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

Nebraska Furniture Mart

Just called and they wouldn't sell one to me since I haven't made a purchase in their store before.
Don't understand why. But both models are available.

Thanks for the details. I updated the wiki.
Hmmmmm, hamburgers......

#2049 SteveGo

SteveGo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Doesn't sound like a pre-order to me. Sounds like some lofty promise to try and get you one if they have any extras beyond the pre-ordered Wii U's, which they stopped taking a day or so after the price and release date were announced for NA.

If I were you I'd have that note and the guys's name and wait it out at that Gamestop on release day. Who knows, you might get lucky.

#2050 mr.ratburn

mr.ratburn

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

It's got to be about the WiiU vs the Kindle.

I really doubt it. Kindle tablet is completely different than Wii U's gamepad. For starters, their HD model is only $199 -- at a completely different price point from $299 - $349. Wii U's gamepad can only go 20 ish feet away from the console, plenty for gaming, though nothing compared to a 'true' tablet. Also, the Kindle is primarily an e-reader and a general media consumption device, whereas the Wii U is primarily for gaming, with some TV functionality that frankly all modern game systems have (granted, the Wii U extends that). ASUS's tablets and other Android tablets, you know, ACTUAL COMPETITORS TO THE KINDLE, are openly sold by Amazon. The list just goes on and on and I could write paragraphs on how different the Kindle is from the Wii U. Bottom line: it has nothing to do with why the Wii U is not being sold on Amazon.

Although I admit, I don't know why Amazon is not carrying Nintendo consoles anymore, it's probably because of a clash in business policies between the two companies. It could be simply outright refusal of one company to deal with the other for X reason. Also, Nintendo has been reportedly vague on how many systems they are actually shipping, so maybe Amazon's pre-order policy requires more specificity. One last thing it could be is the fact that the console launches on a Sunday, making it impossible for Amazon to provide release-date delivery since "there's no post on Sundays"; though if that were the case, it wouldn't explain why Amazon is not selling other Nintendo consoles.

Personally, I think those two companies need to chill out and come to an agreement. Otherwise it's a missed opportunity for all parties involved. As for Newegg... well, they just copy Amazon when it comes to electronics, so it doesn't come as much surprise. I do have to say, I am a huge fan of their pre-order ($10-$12 off coupons, though!). On a side note, maybe the reason these colossal online retailers are not getting the Wii U is to promote brick-and-mortar retailers--as more B&M retailers have popped up offering the system than previous console launches.

#2051 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

I really doubt it. Kindle tablet is completely different than Wii U's gamepad. For starters, their HD model is only $199 -- at a completely different price point from $299 - $349. Wii U's gamepad can only go 20 ish feet away from the console, plenty for gaming, though nothing compared to a 'true' tablet. Also, the Kindle is primarily an e-reader and a general media consumption device, whereas the Wii U is primarily for gaming, with some TV functionality that frankly all modern game systems have (granted, the Wii U extends that). ASUS's tablets and other Android tablets, you know, ACTUAL COMPETITORS TO THE KINDLE, are openly sold by Amazon. The list just goes on and on and I could write paragraphs on how different the Kindle is from the Wii U. Bottom line: it has nothing to do with why the Wii U is not being sold on Amazon.

Although I admit, I don't know why Amazon is not carrying Nintendo consoles anymore, it's probably because of a clash in business policies between the two companies. It could be simply outright refusal of one company to deal with the other for X reason. Also, Nintendo has been reportedly vague on how many systems they are actually shipping, so maybe Amazon's pre-order policy requires more specificity. One last thing it could be is the fact that the console launches on a Sunday, making it impossible for Amazon to provide release-date delivery since "there's no post on Sundays"; though if that were the case, it wouldn't explain why Amazon is not selling other Nintendo consoles.

Personally, I think those two companies need to chill out and come to an agreement. Otherwise it's a missed opportunity for all parties involved. As for Newegg... well, they just copy Amazon when it comes to electronics, so it doesn't come as much surprise. I do have to say, I am a huge fan of their pre-order ($10-$12 off coupons, though!). On a side note, maybe the reason these colossal online retailers are not getting the Wii U is to promote brick-and-mortar retailers--as more B&M retailers have popped up offering the system than previous console launches.

did you not read the link some1 posted earlier in this thread, it is over the nintendo 3ds

#2052 Dr. Dib

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

If Best Buy opens at 10 am, what do you think would be a good time to get there and line up? An hour before? More?

Sorry, I've never bought a major console day-of release. Thanks.

It depends. Best Buy probably isn't the place to go as they're doing preorders. They might not have any extras. Go to Target or another store that doesn't have preorders or call ahead of time to see how many Wii Us Best Buy got. I remember Gamestop posted a sign on their door saying they didn't have any extra Wiis, so it's possible Best Buy might do something similar.

As far as timing, that also depends. I waited 12 hours for a Wii, but as it turns out I could have gotten there an hour before it opened, when they handed out tickets, to get one. I'd say scope out the line the night before to see how many people are lining up. Probably an hour is too late, I'd say 5-6 at the least but I guess you're never safe unless you're first in line.

#2053 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

go there and sleep in your car and set your cell phone to wake you up every hour or so to see if the line is forming

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#2054 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Anyone have any suggestions for moving some credit from gamestop to best buy? I have 2 ds lites I just paid $5 on craigslist for and a ps2 slim I got for $3. That's about $120 in gs credit there. Obviously there's no way in hell I'd score a wii u at launch at gs since I couldn't preorder there, but my wii u preorder is at best buy.

#2055 Masx

Masx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:50 AM

Huh? I had a receipt printed out like a typical preorder stating Wii U 32GB WAITLIST. Seems kind of, I guess for a lack of a better word, shady that they only wrote down your name on a pad.

#2056 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:58 AM

Huh? I had a receipt printed out like a typical preorder stating Wii U 32GB WAITLIST. Seems kind of, I guess for a lack of a better word, shady that they only wrote down your name on a pad.

Yeah...calling a store, asking if they have it, them saying they don't carry it and never will, and then going there anyway will give you a better chance to get it than a name on a pad.

#2057 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

go there and sleep in your car and set your cell phone to wake you up every hour or so to see if the line is forming

LOL...that doesnt work... Nobody in line, sleep, nobobody in line, sleep, oh crap 10 people in line now wtf!

#2058 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

If Best Buy opens at 10 am, what do you think would be a good time to get there and line up? An hour before? More?

I'm guessing 24 hours before opening will get you a console.
I'm guessing 12 hours before opening will be unlikely to get one.

It's likely a small number of people will get there very very early,
and then there will only be a small number of consoles not spoken for.

There are many factors to consider.

It's been 6 years since a new console launch, people are hungry.
The Wii U gets the entire holiday season all to itself.
Pre-orders have likely gobbled up most of the initial stock.
The Wii U will be riding the coat tails of the Wii's success.
Based on the 2005/06 360/PS3/Wii must-have mania craze,
ebayers and flippers will be out in HUGE MASSIVE GIGANTIC numbers this time.
This thread is all the proof that is needed,
as a lot of people have mulitiple pre-orders at mulitple stores.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#2059 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

For the Xbox 360 launch in 2005 at 12:00 pm noon, 12 hours before the midnight launch,
there must have been at least 50 people already in line at my Walmart. I was #4.
A manager who knew they only had 8 consoles to sell, saw the oncoming train wreck,
and handed out tickets to the first 8 people in line at 12:00 pm, 12 hours before the midnight launch.
There was a small angry mob, but it could have been much worst
had they waited another 12 hours and had hundreds of raging people in line.

We got to go home and came back at midnight.
There was a huge crowd waiting there hoping
one of us Golden Ticket holders had some terrible accident and died.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#2060 AgentSquishy

AgentSquishy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

For the Xbox 360 launch in 2005 at 12:00 pm noon, 12 hours before the midnight launch,
there must have been at least 50 people already in line at my Walmart. I was #4.
A manager who knew they only had 8 consoles to sell, saw the oncoming train wreck,
and handed out tickets to the first 8 people in line at 12:00 pm, 12 hours before the midnight launch.

Just out of curiosity, what time did you get there? Must have been really early to be 4th in line. I have taken that weekend off so it looks like I will be in line all day.

#2061 SodaPopinski75

SodaPopinski75

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

For the PS2 I thought getting to Wally World at 4:50am would have been good enough... Wow was I wrong. First, every store had already given out tickets to a handful of people who had been camping outside since midnight.

Second, many of those people actually heckled myself and my brother when we showed up. Yelling stuff like "buhhh-bye, seeyah" and " hahaha you're late losers" from their tents... I thought wait a second, who are the losers?? lol

Lastly on a whim I decided to check Sears at the mall. I was third in line and they had four. Got a ticket and had to wait from 6am til 9am when doors finally opened.

What was kind of great, was many of the hecklers at the Wally World/Targets we had just left started showing up at around 7am and stood in our line now. Each store had no more than ten at most but around fifty people or so were in the lines so many were still empty handed and dour faced. They called us "the four" and people started showing up from NY, Upstate Mass and RI (it was southeastern CT). "Are you the four?" they would ask and we would nod. Then we asked where they were from and they'd say NY or wherever, holy crap.

People still stood in the line even though Sears specifically stated only four would be sold to us. They contemplated giving us security after we purchased them "due to a cabbage patch kids debacle" years before, haha.

Oh the memories... and the horror.

#2062 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, what time did you get there? Must have been really early to be 4th in line. I have taken that weekend off so it looks like I will be in line all day.

I got there at 9:00 am.
The line filled up really fast after people woke up, ate breakfast,
and went to get in line, almost all at the same time apparently.
It's some sort of mob mentality.

Guys would come strolling into the store grinning,
ready to wait in line for 12 hours to get their Xbox 360.
Within seconds, they hear all the tickets are long gone,
and the look of horror on their face as they realize
they have seriously miscalculated how many other people
would get there before them, and they've blown their chance.

That's why in this pre-order thread, people were seriously
freaking out about making sure they get one.
There are few guarantees with a console launch.

Edited by gordojones88, 05 October 2012 - 03:28 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2063 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

I'm glad I have all of my games and accessories pre-ordered through newegg. Now I can just finish paying for the system and pick it up on the 18th at Gamestop. I'll leave all the drama stories for you guys to tell me afterwards :)

I need a new signature.

#2064 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

LOL...that doesnt work... Nobody in line, sleep, nobobody in line, sleep, oh crap 10 people in line now wtf!

I've seen people round up all the neighborhood kids offer them $50-100 to wait in line, pull up to a store early, and totally monopolize Black Friday deals and console launches. It's not uncommon to see nobody in line one second and a van full of 5-10 people show up the next minute. People are greedy SOBs.

#2065 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

For PS3 and Wii, I was in college and broke so I didn't reserve or wait in line. My parents asked me about them and I told them I'd just be waiting until they were easier to find and I had some money saved up. I told them how the lines were forming a week ahead of time in some places and it wasn't worth it.

Then on Christmas, "Santa" brings me a Wii and my big present under the tree is a PS3. My mom waited in line for me for 15 hours outside of a Target in Joliet, IL. She ended up being #5 of 6 for PS3 and she somehow got a 60gb console. Strangers there actually let her stay in their tent with them where she said they had a generator with a heater, tv, and pizza oven. I'll never forget the story from her about it. At one point she had to leave the line to go take my grandpa to the doctor. This took about 2 hours, but there was a rule that you were only allowed to leave the line for 15 minutes. When my mom got back, she had Wendy's food for the other people in line. When the target rep came out to check on the line, they saw her walking back up and they asked how long she'd been gone. She said all the other people immediately yelled "15 minutes!". God she's an amazing lady. Then she and my grandma ended up getting to the mall at 4am for the Wii launch a few days later and got me one of those too.

All this after I told her not to worry about it. I'm a hell of a lucky person.

#2066 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

For PS3 and Wii, I was in college and broke so I didn't reserve or wait in line. My parents asked me about them and I told them I'd just be waiting until they were easier to find and I had some money saved up. I told them how the lines were forming a week ahead of time in some places and it wasn't worth it.

Then on Christmas, "Santa" brings me a Wii and my big present under the tree is a PS3. My mom waited in line for me for 15 hours outside of a Target in Joliet, IL. She ended up being #5 of 6 for PS3 and she somehow got a 60gb console. Strangers there actually let her stay in their tent with them where she said they had a generator with a heater, tv, and pizza oven. I'll never forget the story from her about it. At one point she had to leave the line to go take my grandpa to the doctor. This took about 2 hours, but there was a rule that you were only allowed to leave the line for 15 minutes. When my mom got back, she had Wendy's food for the other people in line. When the target rep came out to check on the line, they saw her walking back up and they asked how long she'd been gone. She said all the other people immediately yelled "15 minutes!". God she's an amazing lady. Then she and my grandma ended up getting to the mall at 4am for the Wii launch a few days later and got me one of those too.

All this after I told her not to worry about it. I'm a hell of a lucky person.

This is awesome and awesome mom you have. One of the most heartwarming gamer stories I've ever heard. Do you still have the same ps3 and wii?

#2067 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

I remember back in nov (either 18th or 21st) of 2001 when the gamecube launched. I knew I had to have one after playing the demo of rogue squadron 2 at walmart. The morning it came out which was either a sat or sun I went before work early and was lucky they had a black one (even though I would have taken a indigo one if I had to) and got rogue squadron 2 as well. The problem was I could not find memory cards anywhere for a few days so I remember playing the game without the ability to save and probably within a week I found a memory card.

#2068 SteveGo

SteveGo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

When did this become a "tell us about your other console launch stories" thread? Can we try and stay on topic that way if new pre-orders do occur somehwere, it isn't lost in all of this clutter?

Thanks.

#2069 Belarr

Belarr

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

When did this become a "tell us about your other console launch stories" thread? Can we try and stay on topic that way if new pre-orders do occur somehwere, it isn't lost in all of this clutter?

Thanks.

To be fair, it's all useful for people who can't get preorders to know what the camping experience will be like.

#2070 CHADSTONe

CHADSTONe

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

I kind of like the reminiscing of prior console launches tbh. good stories