The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#2341 screwkick

screwkick

It's T-Shirt Time...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Nintendo issued a statement denying this would have any effect on their launch allocation.

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

Thought it was an interesting article on a console release that is already very limited, and one that some folks here are actively searching for.

#2342 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

That doesn't automatically make you someone who understands retail. There won't be a line of people waiting to preorder a system.

No, but I understand modern parents (at least some of whom are gamers themselves) who will do anything they have to in order to make sure their kids get what they want for Christmas. People aren't stupid or oblivious and they will happily line up for a guarantee to get a WiiU at retail in time for Christmas. You can also bet that word will spread here and on Slickdeals and plenty of flippers and resellers will be there to snatch up what they can when the preorder opens just like they have with the other retailers.

#2343 screwkick

screwkick

It's T-Shirt Time...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Those who fail to look at history is doomed to repeat it.
http://www.mikehulse...wii-camping.htm

+1

Demand and exposure right now is low. However, if you remember the XBOX 360, Wii, and PS3 launches, then you remember the hysteria didn't start until the afternoon of launch day, when people who procrastinated finally realized they just couldn't walk into a store and buy one. Prices on on craigslist and ebay took off. Supply and demand will never change, especially for new consoles around the holidays.

#2344 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

That doesn't automatically make you someone who understands retail. There won't be a line of people waiting to preorder a system.

Not to preorder a system dummy, to get one in their blasted hands in time for the holidays once it DOES get released on November 18th and later. There were lines for the 360, PS3, and Wii multiple times during the 2005 and 2006 holiday seasons. There were long lines at many stores whenever a retailer announced they'd get more in... even as late as a week before Christmas. The guy you responded to is correct, don't be stupid.

#2345 screwkick

screwkick

It's T-Shirt Time...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

From 2007, a year AFTER the Wii launch:

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

#2346 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

From 2007, a year AFTER the Wii launch:

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

I sold a Wii on eBay for over 425 the second year / Christmas AFTER release

#2347 imri

imri

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Just a heads up for people talking about Nintendo finishing the 4th Quarter strong. Fiscal year ends March 31 in Japan. So technically they are releasing the Wii U in the 3rd quarter. And they most certainly limit quantities. Nintendo is very good with gimmicks ;P

#2348 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

The whole discussion was about going to Walmart on October 14th to preorder. The dummy here is YOU. Nobody waits in line to PREORDER.

Currently playing:

icon_snes.gif- Nothing, 11m9gn4.png- Nothing
:3ds:- Sonic Battle (GBA), :psp:- Nothing
:ps3:- Nothing, atari_jaguar.png- Nothing, Pippin01.gif- Nothing
Wii_U_platform_icon.png- Beyond Good & Evil (GCN), 20g0cxd.png- Nothing

#2349 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

My original post for this side-discussion-

http://www.cheapassg...&postcount=2336

If you read greenwolfe's post, he's talking about making it there on time to PREORDER. I assured him there would be no need because people won't be looking in a newspaper for a preorder.

Currently playing:

#2350 gamerguy73

gamerguy73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

What's the buzz on Zombi U? Is it gonna be any good? What games do you suggest getting for Wii U on launch day?

#2351 Paladinion

Paladinion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

What's the buzz on Zombi U? Is it gonna be any good? What games do you suggest getting for Wii U on launch day?

Im picking up
ZombieU
Super Mario
Call of Duty BO2
Pro controller.

From what I have seen Zombie U looks like its going to be great. Im so glad Nintendo is doing M rated games more openly now. Then again I pretty much buy Nintendo for Games Like Animal Crossing and Zelda so we'll see...

#2352 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

My original post for this side-discussion-

http://www.cheapassg...&postcount=2336

If you read greenwolfe's post, he's talking about making it there on time to PREORDER. I assured him there would be no need because people won't be looking in a newspaper for a preorder.

I would still make it there early. Take into consideration, we don't know how many Wal-Mart is allowing for pre-order and it will probably be printed all over the Internet on the deals sites and gaming forums by this weekend. I'd say you're still fairly safe, but I definitely wouldn't risk it.

I'm debating going myself to see if I can get a Deluxe.

#2353 gamerguy73

gamerguy73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Im picking up
ZombieU
Super Mario
Call of Duty BO2
Pro controller.

From what I have seen Zombie U looks like its going to be great. Im so glad Nintendo is doing M rated games more openly now. Then again I pretty much buy Nintendo for Games Like Animal Crossing and Zelda so we'll see...

Cool, I think I'll pick up Zombi U and the pro controller. And of course, New Super Mario. And I'm looking forward to Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Metroid, Animal Crossing and maybe Zelda.

#2354 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Im picking up
ZombieU
Super Mario
Call of Duty BO2
Pro controller.

Nintendo isn't making/publishing/developing Zombi U, and the game might go multiplatform.

It also looks like a generic turd.

Currently playing:

#2355 skullflame

skullflame

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the head up, will head to Walmart early in the morning. During the Wii launch, waited in line at a Toys r Us for 4 hours to grab a preorder. Didn't happen :/ Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

#2356 D.Choy

D.Choy

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

Frys has taken the Wii U Basic off the online catalog. I also received this email this morning:

Dear DANIEL :

Thank you for your order. We apologize but the item(s) you
ordered are currently out of stock and we are unable to provide
a definite ship date at this time. However, we continually
receive new merchandise in our warehouse and we hope to fulfill
your order within the next thirty days or sooner if possible.

At this time, your order is still pending and will ship as soon
as the item(s) are in stock. Your order number is ############ .

If you would prefer to cancel, change, or check the status of
your order, you may do so at anytime prior to shipment by
calling customer service at 1-(408)350-1484 or e-mail us at
service@cs.frys.com. If you choose to cancel your order
we will provide a full and prompt refund of any charges which
you may have incurred for unshipped items.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Frys.com

Sincerely,

Frys.com
Customer Service

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with the Frys orders. When I track it on my account it just lists the transaction as backordered.

#2357 gamerguy73

gamerguy73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Nintendo isn't making/publishing/developing Zombi U, and the game might go multiplatform.

It also looks like a generic turd.

Ok, Zombi U is fired! lol

#2358 loomis1975

loomis1975

Cell Block CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

If Zombi U goes multi-plat it won't be for months and months. Also if a third party can make a good Wii U game that fully uses the gamepad, even if its a big one like Ubisoft, I think thats a positive, not a negative.

#2359 Dr. Dib

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

The whole discussion was about going to Walmart on October 14th to preorder. The dummy here is YOU. Nobody waits in line to PREORDER.

Not quite nobody.

(Some are tickle me Elmo, but still)

This is for EB Games:

And in text format for good measure: http://www.joystiq.c...e-belt-edition/.

Bottom line, there's now way to tell how many people will wait to preorder the Wii U. People do wait in line to preorder though.

#2360 strangelove

strangelove

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

http://www.cheapassg...&postcount=2295

I read this post. I dont understand what i will have to do as a customer to get the pre-order at Warlmart this sunday. Should I be there saturday night, do I have to go to layaway? Any help would be great
Not only am I a cheapass gamer, I am a cheap ass all-star.

#2361 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

I guess your the dummy, case in point the videos that Dr. Dib put out. If I remember correctly most if not all GS sold out of pre-orders in the first few hours with plenty of people waiting in line for that.

#2362 loomis1975

loomis1975

Cell Block CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm guessing being there Saturday night and going to layaway would be very helpful. Go on like this! ;-)

#2363 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

Most young people don't look at newspapers. You'll be fine. Just go into the store at 8AM (if that's when it opens on Sundays).

Absolutely awful advice of the worst kind.
If there are 10 people in the layaway line at 8 am,
and that store has been allocated 10 layaway Wii U's,
then that person has blown his last good easy chance.
I suggest at least 2-3 hours before layaway opens.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#2364 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

Absolutely awful advice of the worst kind.
If there are 10 people in the layaway line at 8 am,
and that store has been allocated 10 layaway Wii U's,
then that person has blown his last good easy chance.
I suggest at least 2-3 hours before layaway opens.

I think most people have figured out to ignore nintendonly's advice.

This wii launch should be a lot of fun. I just wish there was a fire emblem game. The wiiU controller would be awesome for it.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#2365 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

People are also realizing that the wii u will in fact be the most powerful console until probably 2014 with new estimates of 720 and PS4 not arriving til 2015.

I actually don't think nintendo will be able to produce enough supply even if they wanted to because most everyone will want a Wii U this year.

NextBox720 will launch by November 2013.

Wii U might have a little bit more power than PS360,
but that power is being used to drive the hi-res tablet screen,
so the TV graphics are pretty much the same as the current PS360.

No console manufacturer can make enough consoles to meet the initial holiday demand.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#2366 cakefoo

cakefoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...edition-part-1/

#2367 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Anybody hear if Gamestops anywhere are doing midnight launches?

#2368 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

I'm actually pretty excited by the Wii U and hope Nintendo hits a home run with this one. Zombie U looks good. Mario should be great. Rayman should be awesome. Smash Bros, Bayonetta, etc. all eventual releases. I'm more excited for this than I was for the Wii (but not as much as for the gamecube - was all about Smash Bros Melee). Good sign the preorders sold out.

Watching the coverage on them makes me wonder how crazy it will get compared to the original Wii. One thing I don't understand is how people are already listing it on eBay. I saw the kotaku and other articles, but ebay doesn't let people list stuff before 30 days until it comes out. The people do have actual listings for the Wii U and not bogus random things, so I don't know how they sneak under the radar.

I wonder how it will be in a week or so when it hits the under 30 day mark.

#2369 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

My store told me they were.

#2370 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

Since they do midnight launches for things like Mass Effect 3, I would think it's a fairly safe bet they're going to. There's also a countdown on the Gamestop webpage counting down to launch, ending at midnight eastern time (it even accounts for daylight savings time!), so that would also point to yes.

PSN = madcatz1999