The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#2731 DeathStinger356

DeathStinger356

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks to the information about the Walmart preorder or I would probably not been able to get one. I went to a 24hr one around 8:15am and the girl in electronics knew about it but said I had to wait until Layaway came in a 9:00am. The guy came in, read the memo, took my information, scanned the barcode, then I paid and he gave me a receipt. I did not see anything about a label but hopefully not too much to be concerned about. I was the first one to preorder so I should be good.

Same thing, reserved mine at 12:01AM at my 24-Hour Walmart, guy got all of my information and phone number, then he scanned the paper and all that. Printed out 2 copies of the biggest receipt I'd ever seen in my life and said I was all good to go...never saw what he did with his copy of the receipt or anything about a label...oh well, I hope to be waiting in line at 12:01AM on release day and as long as i'm one of the first few people and show my receipt, i'll have mine.

#2732 b4mv

b4mv

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

How much did you guys put down for it? I'm thinking about going and pre-ordering one (Or at least giving it a shot) but I don't have much money at the moment.. x}

#2733 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

I expect this thread to explode on November 18th.

If both the PS4 & next Xbox launch around the same time, then the Wii U launch won't end up looking so hectic in hindsight. ;)

#2734 zeldaking

zeldaking

I LOVE BOOBS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

I expect this thread to explode on November 18th.

agreed

#2735 AteBit

AteBit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

I would advise people to take a copy of the memo and the Sunday ad cause as expected my walmart was absolutely clueless. Had to wait about 15-20 minutes for them to go find and print the memo with the barcode.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2736 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I getting curious as to when we will get the first report of a Walmart having sold out of pre-orders. I am kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet but I guess a lot of people are not aware of the pre-orders, hell, or even the Wii U itself for that matter.

As far as the thread blowing up on the 18th or whatever I think it will be fine. They obviously have an allocated amount and the lady who did mine told me that when they come in the boxes will be label as 'layaway' and put into one of those metal cages that lock until 12:01. My store normally closes at midnight but they told me they are having a midnight launch so they will be open late. I'm not real concerned about it. She came in early and opened layaway at 6am in anticipation and was well prepared so I assume she has an idea of what she is talking about.

#2737 Central Scrutinizer

Central Scrutinizer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

I just took the five minute walk to my nearest Wal-Mart. Had to wait about five minutes for someone to answer the bell in the layaway department, but once they did, I was out in two minutes with a preorder in hand.

I was in at around 10 AM local time (mountain time zone) and I was the first preorder they had received. I was thinking about reserving two, but decided against it. Maybe I'll change my mind later today, it doesn't seem like there's a huge rush....but then, that's why I didn't preorder two, if there's no rush now, then the rush on Nov. 18 may be less than expected. Oh well, I suppose I can always sit on them until Xmas and if they don't flip, just take them back.

#2738 PlanarPotence

PlanarPotence

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the help you guys. Went back there. Insisted that they figure it out and showed them the memo again and told them there would never be preorder cards. They took a while to discuss it and figure it out but they did eventually and I preordered two.

I was reluctant to get two, not wanting to ruin some kid's Christmas, but they said it'd be fine. That however many preorders they get is at least how many Wii U's they'd get allocated. Not sure if they know what they're talking about but whatever. One for me and one for someone else to ingratiate themselves to me forever.

#2739 Fernando Rocker

Fernando Rocker

Nintendo Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

I just got back from my local Walmart... no problems at all. I was the only pre-order on that particular so far.

Posted Image

Edited by Fernando Rocker, 14 October 2012 - 05:27 PM.
Picture re-size...

#2740 CHADSTONe

CHADSTONe

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

My buddy preordered 2 consoles on 6 different transactions :-x

#2741 Evolution

Evolution

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

For anyone in Orlando, the Wal-Mart on Princeton is clueless, don't go there. I showed a manager the memo and she went to look for it in her computer. When she couldn't find it, she came back out and told me they couldn't let me order one on layaway because she didn't have the official memo or the barcode (though I'm a bit confused about why they couldn't just type in the UPC). She contacted the heads of layaway and electronics too, and neither of them knew anything about it. I went to the one in Casselberry instead and was in and out in 5 minutes. They said close to 10 people had already been in before me but that anybody who places a layaway order will be able to pick their console up on release day.

#2742 Fernando Rocker

Fernando Rocker

Nintendo Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Also... I just want to share this picture. The receipt is huge!

Posted Image

#2743 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Took about a half hour for me. Got in at 9am and asked at the layaway, but was directed to electronics. They, of course, were clueless, so one of the managers I spoke with went back and looked for the memo.
Funny part is I read the memo from page 115 off to them and one woman got pissed that I had it, said it was a private internal memo for Walmart managers only, and I had no business reading it. The other manager said "It's a good thing he does have it, he knows more about it than we do". Once he got his copy of the memo I had to wait 10 minutes for them to find out who was staffing layaway, and it went smoothly after that.

#2744 thebytewasbit

thebytewasbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

My buddy preordered 2 consoles on 6 different transactions :-x

Must be nice to have money to throw around like that.

#2745 Midnight Express

Midnight Express

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Same thing, reserved mine at 12:01AM at my 24-Hour Walmart, guy got all of my information and phone number, then he scanned the paper and all that. Printed out 2 copies of the biggest receipt I'd ever seen in my life and said I was all good to go...never saw what he did with his copy of the receipt or anything about a label...oh well, I hope to be waiting in line at 12:01AM on release day and as long as i'm one of the first few people and show my receipt, i'll have mine.

I guess the only thing is some others are indicated the label has the number on it like 1 if we were first just in case they overbook or something. Walmart said they did not know how many they were getting in, but when they reached their limit the system would not allow any more preorders.

#2746 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

I just got back from my local Walmart... no problems at all. I was the only pre-order on that particular so far.

Posted Image

These preorders DON'T have to put on layway.. right?

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 14 October 2012 - 05:39 PM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#2747 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

They do. But you can pick them up the day it gets released (Nov 18th)

#2748 GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

Guys it doesn't matter really if you are the first or the last. On the official memo it clearly states there's a certain amount allocated for the pre-order layaway sale. Once the allocated amount has been met there will be a Sales Block.

If they don't actually receive all of them, it would matter.

#2749 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

They do. But you can pick them up the day it gets released (Nov 18th)

That seems lame to get charged a 5.00 fee. Are there any other fees for layway?

#2750 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

That seems lame to get charged a 5.00 fee. Are there any other fees for layway?

You get the 5 back on a gift card when you pick up your item.

#2751 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

You get the 5 back on a gift card when you pick up your item.

Good to know, thank you!

#2752 Central Scrutinizer

Central Scrutinizer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yes, you will get the $5 back in the form of a gift card, unless you cancel the order first, in which case, you're out five bucks.

In California and I think a few other states, you can just get the $5 cash back as opposed to the gift card, as per state law.

#2753 Tdog987

Tdog987

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

So I got to my 24 hour Walmart at 9 am (like they told me)...Got to layaway...1 dude was already there talking to one of the associates about being able to get it at launch Sounds like they knew what was going on. They had the memo with the barcode ready and everything.

The whole process was painless, but not quick. The layaway lady didn't show up until 9:15. Before she got there me and the other guy had a quick little chat.

Me: "You here for layaway?"
Him: "Yeah"
Me: "So deluxe or Basic?"
Him: "Oh, I think you can only do deluxe here"

My discount card worked, so I'll be paying $315 for the deluxe model. Trying it online when the pre orders were up didn't work.

I ordered 1, but the guy in front of me ordered 2 (1 for him and 1 for his "cousin"...lol right)

#2754 beatngurnuts

beatngurnuts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just got back from walmart, 4th person who reserved. I did ask if it mattered if I was 1st or last and they said no, when they run out of the allocated pre-order amount, the system will lock automatically and not allow anymore pre-orders.

#2755 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Lots o cousins named "Craig" these days.

#2756 GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Does anyone know what it means if your sku code has a "k" on the end of the number that otherwise matches what everyone else has posted? Asking on behalf of someone :).

#2757 Tonnous24

Tonnous24

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

So do I go back to the electronic department to do this? Customer service? Dumb question I know, but I've never put anything on layaway.

#2758 Fernando Rocker

Fernando Rocker

Nintendo Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

So do I go back to the electronic department to do this? Customer service? Dumb question I know, but I've never put anything on layaway.

Layaway section.

#2759 sephiroth61787

sephiroth61787

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

I just called my local wal-mart to ask if they're still taking Wii U preorders. The layaway guy told me yes and I asked how many preorders they've taken so far. 16 he said.

It's about 20 minutes away, so I'm not going to drive out there. I'll stick with my TRU and Walmart.com preorders to try and get one.

#2760 Sivarticus

Sivarticus

Kentucky Fried Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Well, threw it on layway. I assume I am the first one to do this at my Walmart, because they had no idea what I was talking about lol. They kept telling me I could put it on layway on 11/18, and I kept telling them it was in their weekly ad.

Eventually they did it for me after printing off the paper with the barcode, but man that was a hassle. Either way, I am okay with this hassle vs. finding one on launch day. Thank you to whoever posted the Walmart info!