The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#2911 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

"I'm actually just gonna go back to the Wii.. The Wii U looks too valuable to play." :lol:

That's pretty cool man. Thanks for the nostalgia trip. I remember when CC was open. I wanted to work there for the longest time, but then they closed down. :( keep the good times rolling guys.

#2912 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

I like the video of the dude trying to sell his spot for #2 in line for 1,500 for the PS3, lol.

#2913 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

Nintendo actually commented on it, saying "Amazon, as a direct sale retailer, currently does not carry our hardware."

Sounds kinda weird but i'm guessing it has to do with the profit margin for Amazon selling the systems. I'm not sure why its different from the other consoles but retailers generally make very little from a console sale, and depend on selling the buyer accessories and games to even it out. Which is why every asshole in BB will try to tell you that you need a Monster brand HDMI cable, lol.

I remember my dad buying a 480p TV at Best Buy for over $800-$900 at Best Buy around 2004-2005. Then, the employee suggested to get those $100 plus Monster Cables, which he did. My dad has no clue about technology to this day so he purchased a damn small 480p TV with useless cables. I was in the 7th/8th grade so I couldn't really save the day, plus I was a kid, so what do I know right? Even then, my "tech genes" knew something was fishy before the purchase.

#2914 Alucard400

Alucard400

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

I remember the PS2 launch in Circuit City los Angeles. That one was pretty crazy for me. I got to be friends with about 12 or 13 other people in line and I started my wait from 8:30pm. We all went through the night talking about video games and the industry while also playing cards to kill time. around 4am, it rained. Everyone went into their cars without regard to the line disappearing. No one wanted to be drenched. when it finally stopped raining, we all got back in line, the same order. The store opened at 10 for all of us to get our consoles. The next time I would camp out would be for a gamecube, which wasn't as much a big deal. but I got to see the meteor shower during the night I waited for it. The wii was a bit easier to get because of preorders in gamestop. I imagine the ps3 is the biggest and most hyped up launch while also being the hardest to get. People literally camped for two days to acquire one. I did not get a ps3 at launch, but waited about 2 years as I was pretty happy with a Wii and Xbox 360 console combo. Now I have all three consoles.

#2915 tongii

tongii

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Went at 10am and no one at layaway seems to have a clue about the pre-order. They said they don't have the Wii-U in-stock and i was like, um... yeah I'm not here to buy it. So I showed them the walmart paper, then one associate got smart and went to the back to look it up and come back with a page of instruction. Got mine pre-ordered with no problem :)

#2916 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

The mystery of no buyers today...

1) It was the front page of the Walmart ad on Sunday! Do people still read papers?

2) It's sold out everywhere! But there's no advertising and it's not even black Friday yet, so the demand is 80% scalpers who probably already have a dozen preorders.

3) It might be your last chance to get a Wii-U! Yeah, but you actually have to walk into a Walmart and figure out where the hell the Layaway department is and deal with clueless employees. Average wait time 40 minutes if you're the first one there and have to tell them when the memo is located.

#2917 rayfrombk

rayfrombk

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

Today was only half the battle. Can you all imagine what it's gonna be like on launch day?

"Wii U layaway? Sorry but you needed to pre-order online. We never put any Wii U on layaway because we didn't have it in stock prior to today. Oh you have a receipt? It must've been a mistake."

#2918 magikal

magikal

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

I went to Walmart today in San Jose (Almaden Expressway) and they had had 10 orders today, most people received 2. It was like a bunch of clowns running around. It took 4 different people to finally know how to type it into the computer correctly. But, 20 minutes later I have two pre-orders of the deluxe that should 'arrive on the first day.'

I also went to the Walmart on Story and they had also had about ten preorders so far.

I guess now it's just waiting for a text to see if they actually are going to arrive when they say they are. I'm surprised they were both available and didn't sell out quickly.

Part of it might be the Walmart staff not knowing how to order it properly.

Anyways, good luck out there. Try as soon as you can!

#2919 GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

1) It was the front page of the Walmart ad on Sunday! Do people still read papers?

2) It's sold out everywhere! But there's no advertising and it's not even black Friday yet, so the demand is 80% scalpers who probably already have a dozen preorders.

3) It might be your last chance to get a Wii-U! Yeah, but you actually have to walk into a Walmart and figure out where the hell the Layaway department is and deal with clueless employees. Average wait time 40 minutes if you're the first one there and have to tell them when the memo is located.

1) Yeah, they showed up later.

2) Math it out and you're talking maybe a tenth of a percent at most, of flippers, speaking for the consoles. They're launching with 3 million, just FYI ;). The argument that flippers can be talking for 4/5 of the consoles is just silly. If anything, demand is going to ramp up further once ads start this week and ESPECIALLY towards launch/Black Friday. It'll be a zoo.

3) So? It's worth it for the profit potential, if not I'll live with having spent a half an hour browsing on my Galaxy S3.

#2920 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

The thing is too, the WiiU is launching in a very different world-- everyone's bowled using motion controls now, the Wii is in pretty much every home that REALLY wants one, the economy's been in the toilet for 4 years, etc, etc.

I'm sure there's demand for this-- it's the first new home console launch in a long time. But honestly the launch lineup isn't THAT fantastic (at least IMHO), the console costs $50-$100 more than the Wii did at launch, the new functionality is a bit harder to really get excited about (Motion control in 2006 was just MINDBLOWING! Playing a game on a tablet.. not so much ;) )

I'm sure it will be initially tough to get. Maybe even though Christmas. And I am sure Nintendo will do everything in their power to remind everyone of the craziness of the Wii launch and try to control the resupplies so that they're "moderately difficult but not impossible" to get one if you didn't pre-order. Enough to build hype, not enough to lose sales. This Christmas is CRITICAL for Nintendo to get a lead in "next next gen" before Sony and Microsoft start working to steal their thunder.

I hate to admit it but I sort of pre-ordered on the hype. There's not a whole lot I want to play RIGHT NOW (well, at launch) but this is my hobby and I enjoy it, and I'm sure it'll be a fun system.

(I will say-- I think people forget what a surprise the Wii was. I remember a LOT of people expecting it to bomb. Remember it launched 2 days after the PS3 and people thought the PS3 would steal all of Nintendo's thunder... but then it became apparent that weekend that while the PS3 was selling well, a lot more people wanted the Wii.. the hype about the Wii being impossible to buy sort of came up 'overnight' as the launch happened and suddenly everyone was out of stock. I think before that everyone had sort of low key expectations about the Wii and expected the PS3 to be massive)

I mostly agree, but I think another big thing to keep in mind is that many of the general consumers (buying for their kids or whatever) still don't understand that Wii U is a new console. Hell, a lot of these folks don't even know that it exists yet. I'm sure there are plenty of other towns like mine where people are completely oblivious to the world of gaming. Not too long ago, I was out shopping when I saw/heard a mother and her child arguing about the 3DS...he really wanted to get one for his birthday and she kept refusing because she couldn't understand that it wasn't the same thing has his GameBoy Advance. He was trying to show her that they are different products, but she insisted that he would just have to deal with playing new games on just the one screen. And while waiting for a manager at layaway, they asked me what the Wii U is and they had a hard time understanding that it's not a regular Wii that comes with an iPad.

Wii U has one of the better launch line ups we have seen.

I definitely agree with this. There are some naysayers, but I am quite excited about the lineup. It's certainly the best lineup I've seen in the last several years.

That was kind of my point, many of the big launch titles aren't WiiU exclusives, at least not the entire game.

I'm not saying it's a bad launch list, just that I don't really look at that list and see many "OMG MUST HAVE WIIU FOR .... " besides maybe NSMB and ZombiU.

That said, Pikmin 3 was enough to make sure I get my WiiU preordered to be safe. ;)

For me, it's all about Scribblenauts. I know I can just get it on the 3DS, and I will, but I've been wanting to play Scribblenauts on TV since the first game came out. I'm certainly not saying that it's my sole reason for buying the Wii U, but it is a huge draw for me.

Obviously people do or else they wouldn't be sold anymore. Many, many people get the newspaper specifically for ads and coupons. But it's irrelevant anyway because the ad is also on the site, so even people who don't get the paper are likely to see the ad.

#2921 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

Even though it's on the front page, the way it talks about Layaway and such on the front page isn't quite as blatant as "MAKE SURE YOU COME IN NOW TO PRE-ORDER YOUR SYSTEM!" It almost reads like "yeah, we can put this on Layaway too..." I bet many people kind of miss the point of the ad, this is Walmart getting us all into their Layaway system using it as the preorder method.

Probably by the end of the week most, if not all, Walmarts will be sold out of the pre-order stock and many will be kicking themselves given how relatively easy it was today as long as you were persistent.

Plus Walmart is probably getting a very, very, very large allocation of systems given their relative size, especially considering Amazon's out of the equation for this launch. They have 4500 stores in the US, if each store gets 50 Wiiu's thats 225,000 systems... which is probably lower than they're really getting assuming the supply chain is working at 100%. It's probably "not quite as hyped as we think" combined with "large allocation" making today so easy.

I'm fairly hopeful for this but I do have a pretty bizarre track record of Walmart screwing up easy things, so we'll see. Thankfully my heart isn't TOTALLY set on a WiiU but if I get there on the 18th and my Layaway isn't there I'm sure I'll be a bit upset.

#2922 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

Wal-mart doesnt even really run weekly ads anymore so I think most people don't even look anymore tbh.

#2923 Redeema

Redeema

Refuses to pay full price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Damn, I missed this, so I guess it's off to my small town Wal-Mart tomorrow to try my luck.

I got the Wii after it first launched and I missed out in every local store. I went to a Circuit City where I knew the manager and he told me exactly how many consoles they were getting. We were there at like 1am behind a couple of other guys. I told them how many systems they were getting and we made a list of the first 20-25 people in line, so that when they came to give us the tickets for the system there would be no last second line jumpers. It worked out perfectly. One guy was just hanging out with his friends just to pass the time, he put his name on the list just because and he ended up selling his ticket for a hundred bucks or so. He was just going to play at his friends' house anyway. It pays to go hang out in these lines sometimes.

Now playing: Gears of War: Judgment, Fire Emblem

rifsbannerslim.jpg

#2924 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

I wonder if Walmart is going to not preorder out the cheapy version so people have something to walk in and buy if they didn't preorder the deluxe. It would make sense for them anyway, best of both worlds. Oh, you didn't preorder, well we have some Retardo editions in stock.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#2925 arsenalcrazy8

arsenalcrazy8

As Cheap As Wenger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

I think the reasons for the lack of preorders today are as follows:
1.) Walmart ads are not as popular as they used to be; I dont think people these days still check ads for deals really.

2.) In my case, I honestly did not even know what layover meant. In no way shape or form did I make the connection between layover and preorder. If it werent for this thread, I would not have gone to preorder, because I thought layover was just a way to finance a purchase into many smaller payments - my first reaction was "oh look its available for layover, but thats probably assuming you have on ordered on walmart.com or found one in store." I know I sound dumb, but I honestly think not that many people (like me) knew what layover exactly meant...

lol I was tired...*layaway

Edited by arsenalcrazy8, 15 October 2012 - 03:18 PM.

Up the Gunners!!!!!
I am Cheap, therefore I buy Cheap.

#2926 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

^

*Layaway

#2927 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Id say 90% of pre orders for the WiiU are placed by gamers who keep up with the industry which includes all of us on here. The other 10% are friends who tag along and decide to get one or store employees. There isnt any hype, tv commercials, internet campaigns etc...showing the WiiU yet. The average person or store employee has never heard of the WiiU yet. The holiday season for the majority of America doesnt start until Thanksgiving weekend. Then I think Nintendo will start blitzing ads in primetime for the WiiU driving the Soccer moms and Joe dads to stores to get one for little Jimmy. Then the hysteria starts only if Nintendo has limited supply. I think thats their marketing goal...to drive up the hype during the holiday season with limited supply to get in everyones head, then capitalize on the years headstart on Microsoft and Sony.

#2928 thetruth1983

thetruth1983

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

I once had a layover my house.

#2929 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

You guys are making more wildly unfounded baseless speculations than Michael Pachter has all year.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#2930 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

I think the reasons for the lack of preorders today are as follows:
1.) Walmart ads are not as popular as they used to be; I dont think people these days still check ads for deals really.

2.) In my case, I honestly did not even know what layover meant. In no way shape or form did I make the connection between layover and preorder. If it werent for this thread, I would not have gone to preorder, because I thought layover was just a way to finance a purchase into many smaller payments - my first reaction was "oh look its available for layover, but thats probably assuming you have on ordered on walmart.com or found one in store." I know I sound dumb, but I honestly think not that many people (like me) knew what layover exactly meant...

http://www.gameinfor...bout-wii-u.aspx
This video probably explains alot...

#2931 iGen

iGen

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

San Lorenzo CA Walmart is out of preorders.

#2932 ets

ets

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

The way layaway works at a store level is that when an item is sold, the inventory changes to show one sold. So the on hand for a store would show -6, if 6 were sold. They can easily pull the total sold compared to the other method they use.. They used the preorder gift card system for video games and the iphone 5. The giftcard was/is more of a hassle for employees then layaway also.
Currently Playing: N/A
On Deck: N.A

MyTradeList [Link]

#2933 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

That sums it up. I even had the WM electronics guy this morning argue that its just an add on to the current Wii....I gave up. He is like "Dude, I KNOW about gaming. Thats why I work in the electronics dept" lol.

#2934 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

That sums it up. I even had the WM electronics guy this morning argue that its just an add on to the current Wii....I gave up. He is like "Dude, I KNOW about gaming. Thats why I work in the electronics dept" lol.

At Walmart I saw that U Draw tablet thing for the Wii. I'm not even sure what it is really. I am wondering if people are thinking that is the Wii U and the new console is just them bundled together. I wonder how many people are going to buy that thing think it is the new system.

#2935 thetruth1983

thetruth1983

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

lol I had to rewind it because I thought he said he was beating his **** on top of a mushroom.

#2936 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Nintendo Wii University was the winner of that video truly lol

#2937 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Nintendo Wii University was the winner of that video truly lol

I laughed so hard when he said, "I stand on this mushroom type thing and I constantly get beaten off and fall into the water." I couldn't believe he said that, lol. That goes to show you that Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to advertising. I would say 80% of consumers don't even know about the Wii-U.

#2938 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

I laughed so hard when he said, "I stand on this mushroom type thing and I constantly get beaten off and fall into the water." I couldn't believe he said that, lol. That goes to show you that Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to advertising. I would say 80% of consumers don't even know about the Wii-U.

They do not need to advertise the wii-u at this point, since it will be sold out everywhere anyways. IF they do advertise now, it would be a war. So I think they are waiting for november/december to start advertising when they should have more units available

DaviVascaino.png         Davivascaino.png

#2939 druggie218

druggie218

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

San Lorenzo CA Walmart is out of preorders.

Anyone else confirm they r done.

#2940 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

I liked the part about the 5 year-old kid beating the old guy on a mushroom and then the Game Informer guy said it was probably Resident Evil, lol.

Currently playing:

icon_snes.gif- Nothing, 11m9gn4.png- Nothing
:3ds:- Monster Rancher Advance 2, :psp:- Nothing
:ps3:- Nothing, atari_jaguar.png- Elansar, Pippin01.gif- Super Marathon
Wii_U_platform_icon.png- Ducktales Remastered, 20g0cxd.png- Nothing