Borderlands Game of the Year edition?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Any news on when the Borderlands game of the year edition (with all the DLCs) is coming out?

#2 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

Such an edition has not been announced, unless you're aware of something the rest of us aren't...

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#3 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

Ryu, If I knew anything I wouldn't have posted my question, would I? ;-)

I did hear that more DLCs are coming in addition to the three already available, the last of which was 'the secret armoury of general knoxx'. So maybe a 'Game of the Year' edition is still fa away.

#4 OnyxPrimal

OnyxPrimal

Chocolate Goodness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

a "GOTY" is a long bit away, if it comes. More DLC is coming and the 1st 2 DLCs are being released on disc just this week. I would assume another Disc in a few months with Knoxx and another pack after a new DLC releases.

#5 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

Ryu, If I knew anything I wouldn't have posted my question, would I? ;-)

I did hear that more DLCs are coming in addition to the three already available, the last of which was 'the secret armoury of general knoxx'. So maybe a 'Game of the Year' edition is still fa away.

To be fair, the way your question was worded made it seem like you a knew a GotY edition was announced, but didn't know if there was an update on the release date of it.

Posted Image

#6 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Halluzinationz, you are right. Thanks for pointing it out. I had not noticed.
Ryu, I did not mean to belittle you. Hope you weren't offended.

Onyx, I think your assessment is spot on. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. I really want to play this game but don't feel like dropping 70-90$ for the game+DLCs. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with fallout 3. I do however think they will eventually release a GotY version. I just hope it's not next year!

#7 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

No offense taken. :) Halluz was right, from the way you worded your post I thought it sounded like you already knew about a GOTY or were taking it as a given, and just asking when the release date would be.

#8 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

did it get any GOTY awards? :lol: I would buy a Gold edition with all the DLC for sure.

#9 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Ninja, that is a very good question. Why DO they call it 'game of the year'? It's not like it won any awards. Usually it means that the game (gold edition) is packaged with all the DLCs. Like they did with 'Oblivion'.

I think your question should be the topic of a new thread!

#10 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

did it get any GOTY awards? :lol:

That's hardly required. :)

And if that's all Gearbox is waiting on, I'm happy to hereby bestow the Ryuukishi Game of the Year 2009 honor on Borderlands. Congratulations guys! :lol:

#11 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well, if they plan to call it a "Game of the Year" edition, wouldn't it have to launch within a year of the game's release?

#12 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Ninja, that is a very good question. Why DO they call it 'game of the year'? It's not like it won any awards. Usually it means that the game (gold edition) is packaged with all the DLCs. Like they did with 'Oblivion'.

I think your question should be the topic of a new thread!

well Fallout 3 and Oblivion and all GOTY editions won their respective award, but I just don't recall Borderlands getting any. Solid game, but it didn't blow minds.

#13 mang9432

mang9432

Bad Baby 4 Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

That's hardly required. :)

And if that's all Gearbox is waiting on, I'm happy to hereby bestow the Ryuukishi Game of the Year 2009 honor on Borderlands. Congratulations guys! :lol:

:applause:
Posted Image

#14 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

well Fallout 3 and Oblivion and all GOTY editions won their respective award, but I just don't recall Borderlands getting any. Solid game, but it didn't blow minds.

Ninja, I did not know that. That is very interesting indeed. Is there any other game with a GotY edition that did NOT win a 'game of the year' award?

#15 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

Well, if they plan to call it a "Game of the Year" edition, wouldn't it have to launch within a year of the game's release?

Cantatus, interesting point. Although I am not convinced that's the reason why. Ninja dog may be onto something...

#16 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

In all seriousness, it really was the best game of 2009 for me, so if it didn't win any year-end awards, it should have. 110+ hours and 1500 gamerscore in, and I'm still trying to get more of my friends to buy it so I can play more co-op. :) I personally wouldn't recommend anyone wait on a potential GOTY edition, it's well worth picking up right now.

#17 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

A "Game of the Year" Edition of Borderlands has been pure speculation and internet rumor at this point. Nothing official has been announced.

#18 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Posted Image

I'd hardly call this game GOTY material either.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#19 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Posted Image

Hey antlp89, I see your point, but Batman Arkham Asylum did win 'a' game of the year award at the BAFTA for 2009. Here's the link http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3178431

So far Ninja dog's theory/explanation stands unchallenged.

Does anyone else have any other theories or explanations why some games' versions are called 'game of the year' editions? Or is Ninja dog's explanation the correct one?

#20 Archfiend

Archfiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

GOTY??? Doesnt the game usually have to be epicly good?

#21 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

Does anyone else have any other theories or explanations why some games' versions are called 'game of the year' editions? Or is Ninja dog's explanation the correct one?

"Game of the Year Edition" is just a marketing slogan, it doesn't mean that a game actually won any particular award. Left 4 Dead didn't win GOTY from any well-known websites or magazines as far as I'm aware.

#22 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

"Game of the Year Edition" is just a marketing slogan, it doesn't mean that a game actually won any particular award. Left 4 Dead didn't win GOTY from any well-known websites or magazines as far as I'm aware.

Ryu, up until now all games mentioned in this thread (except for borderlands) have won a GotY award so we assumed that was the reason for the GotY edition of those games.

But you are absolutely right, Left 4 Dead did not win any GotY awards. At best it won 'Multiplayer Game of the Year' awards. So far your explanation that it is a marketing term makes the most sense....in this case the term in itself makes no sense, especially for games that did NOT win any GotY awards.

I wonder if the games sell more copies because of the 'GotY' label? And I wonder if that could be considered as misleading the consumer, especially in games that did NOT win any GotY awards? What do guys (and girls) think?

#23 LakersForLife82481

LakersForLife82481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image

NOOO! I bought AA a couple weeks ago w/ the old PS3 logo in spiderman font.

I WANT IT WITH THE NEW LOGO DAMMIT! :bomb:

#24 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

Anybody know what is up with the Batman 3D glasses? Is there an option to turn on 3D or is it coming with a patch, I am just a little confused by it and I hope it does not become a habit until we can get 3D tech without glasses.(this type of 3D hurts my eyes after a while)

#25 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

GOTY??? Doesnt the game usually have to be epicly good?

Posted Image
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#26 life.exe

life.exe

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

Posted Image

This game is quite possibly the best superhero game of all-time and won many GotY awards and you" hardly call it GotY material"?

#27 hotelblvd

hotelblvd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

This game is quite possibly the best superhero game of all-time and won many GotY awards and you" hardly call it GotY material"?

Life, maybe antlp89 was talking about the packaging (with the flimsy 3D glasses). As for the game itself, I agree with you, it the best superhero game I have played and a great adventure/action game. Definitely worthy of a Game of the year nomination for 2009.

#28 myl0r

myl0r

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

knowing the awesome humor the people at Gearbox have, if there is a GOTY-esque release, I doubt it will be called "Borderland Game of the Year Edition"
I like what someone on Goozex called it, something like "Borderlands Super Duper Awesome Kablooey Edition". Something to that nature.

#29 phantasyx

phantasyx

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

its coming because I read some where that another dlc was being considered. If that is true then it would be bundled with the GOTY edition obviously, we will have to wait a year anyway to see it coming.

#30 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

Batman: AA was a good game, but truly overhyped. The amount of backtracking you had to do if you wanted to 100% everything(find all the hidden crap)was ridiculous, since you didn't get the tools to get into some of the areas those items were hidden in until VERY late in the game.

I hate backtracking in games, unless it serves a real purpose, like some sort of waypoint for a mission.

Is it just me or are more people a little pissed that so many games are getting GOTY re-launches with added content within 6 months to a year of release and thus fuckin' over those of us who bought early?

I am tempted to get the LBP GOTY, but only if I can find a game to trade into GS from the $25 off promo list from someplace like Blockbuster during a B1G1.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image