Borderlands Game of the Year edition?

Ryu, If I knew anything I wouldn't have posted my question, would I? ;-)

I did hear that more DLCs are coming in addition to the three already available, the last of which was 'the secret armoury of general knoxx'. So maybe a 'Game of the Year' edition is still fa away.

a "GOTY" is a long bit away, if it comes. More DLC is coming and the 1st 2 DLCs are being released on disc just this week. I would assume another Disc in a few months with Knoxx and another pack after a new DLC releases.

[quote name='hotelblvd']Ryu, If I knew anything I wouldn't have posted my question, would I? ;-)

I did hear that more DLCs are coming in addition to the three already available, the last of which was 'the secret armoury of general knoxx'. So maybe a 'Game of the Year' edition is still fa away.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the way your question was worded made it seem like you a knew a GotY edition was announced, but didn't know if there was an update on the release date of it.

Halluzinationz, you are right. Thanks for pointing it out. I had not noticed.
Ryu, I did not mean to belittle you. Hope you weren't offended.

Onyx, I think your assessment is spot on. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. I really want to play this game but don't feel like dropping 70-90$ for the game+DLCs. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with fallout 3. I do however think they will eventually release a GotY version. I just hope it's not next year!

No offense taken. :) Halluz was right, from the way you worded your post I thought it sounded like you already knew about a GOTY or were taking it as a given, and just asking when the release date would be.

Ninja, that is a very good question. Why DO they call it 'game of the year'? It's not like it won any awards. Usually it means that the game (gold edition) is packaged with all the DLCs. Like they did with 'Oblivion'.

I think your question should be the topic of a new thread!

[quote name='ninja dog']did it get any GOTY awards? :lol:[/QUOTE]
That's hardly required. :)

And if that's all Gearbox is waiting on, I'm happy to hereby bestow the Ryuukishi Game of the Year 2009 honor on Borderlands. Congratulations guys! :lol:

Well, if they plan to call it a "Game of the Year" edition, wouldn't it have to launch within a year of the game's release?

[quote name='hotelblvd']Ninja, that is a very good question. Why DO they call it 'game of the year'? It's not like it won any awards. Usually it means that the game (gold edition) is packaged with all the DLCs. Like they did with 'Oblivion'.

I think your question should be the topic of a new thread![/QUOTE]

well Fallout 3 and Oblivion and all GOTY editions won their respective award, but I just don't recall Borderlands getting any. Solid game, but it didn't blow minds.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's hardly required. :)

And if that's all Gearbox is waiting on, I'm happy to hereby bestow the Ryuukishi Game of the Year 2009 honor on Borderlands. Congratulations guys! :lol:[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='ninja dog']well Fallout 3 and Oblivion and all GOTY editions won their respective award, but I just don't recall Borderlands getting any. Solid game, but it didn't blow minds.[/QUOTE]

Ninja, I did not know that. That is very interesting indeed. Is there any other game with a GotY edition that did NOT win a 'game of the year' award?

[quote name='Cantatus']Well, if they plan to call it a "Game of the Year" edition, wouldn't it have to launch within a year of the game's release?[/QUOTE]

Cantatus, interesting point. Although I am not convinced that's the reason why. Ninja dog may be onto something...

In all seriousness, it really was the best game of 2009 for me, so if it didn't win any year-end awards, it should have. 110+ hours and 1500 gamerscore in, and I'm still trying to get more of my friends to buy it so I can play more co-op. :) I personally wouldn't recommend anyone wait on a potential GOTY edition, it's well worth picking up right now.

A "Game of the Year" Edition of Borderlands has been pure speculation and internet rumor at this point. Nothing official has been announced.

arkham.jpg

I'd hardly call this game GOTY material either.

[quote name='antlp89']
arkham.jpg

I'd hardly call this game GOTY material either.[/QUOTE]

Hey antlp89, I see your point, but Batman Arkham Asylum did win 'a' game of the year award at the BAFTA for 2009. Here's the link http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178431

So far Ninja dog's theory/explanation stands unchallenged.

Does anyone else have any other theories or explanations why some games' versions are called 'game of the year' editions? Or is Ninja dog's explanation the correct one?

[quote name='hotelblvd']Does anyone else have any other theories or explanations why some games' versions are called 'game of the year' editions? Or is Ninja dog's explanation the correct one?[/QUOTE]

"Game of the Year Edition" is just a marketing slogan, it doesn't mean that a game actually won any particular award. Left 4 Dead didn't win GOTY from any well-known websites or magazines as far as I'm aware.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']"Game of the Year Edition" is just a marketing slogan, it doesn't mean that a game actually won any particular award. Left 4 Dead didn't win GOTY from any well-known websites or magazines as far as I'm aware.[/QUOTE]

Ryu, up until now all games mentioned in this thread (except for borderlands) have won a GotY award so we assumed that was the reason for the GotY edition of those games.

But you are absolutely right, Left 4 Dead did not win any GotY awards. At best it won 'Multiplayer Game of the Year' awards. So far your explanation that it is a marketing term makes the most sense....in this case the term in itself makes no sense, especially for games that did NOT win any GotY awards.

I wonder if the games sell more copies because of the 'GotY' label? And I wonder if that could be considered as misleading the consumer, especially in games that did NOT win any GotY awards? What do guys (and girls) think?

[quote name='antlp89']
arkham.jpg

NOOO! I bought AA a couple weeks ago w/ the old PS3 logo in spiderman font.

I WANT IT WITH THE NEW LOGO DAMMIT! :bomb:

Anybody know what is up with the Batman 3D glasses? Is there an option to turn on 3D or is it coming with a patch, I am just a little confused by it and I hope it does not become a habit until we can get 3D tech without glasses.(this type of 3D hurts my eyes after a while)

[quote name='antlp89']
arkham.jpg

This game is quite possibly the best superhero game of all-time and won many GotY awards and you" hardly call it GotY material"?

[quote name='life.exe']This game is quite possibly the best superhero game of all-time and won many GotY awards and you" hardly call it GotY material"?[/QUOTE]

Life, maybe antlp89 was talking about the packaging (with the flimsy 3D glasses). As for the game itself, I agree with you, it the best superhero game I have played and a great adventure/action game. Definitely worthy of a Game of the year nomination for 2009.

knowing the awesome humor the people at Gearbox have, if there is a GOTY-esque release, I doubt it will be called "Borderland Game of the Year Edition"
I like what someone on Goozex called it, something like "Borderlands Super Duper Awesome Kablooey Edition". Something to that nature.

its coming because I read some where that another dlc was being considered. If that is true then it would be bundled with the GOTY edition obviously, we will have to wait a year anyway to see it coming.

[quote name='life.exe']This game is quite possibly the best superhero game of all-time and won many GotY awards and you" hardly call it GotY material"?[/QUOTE]

Batman: AA was a good game, but truly overhyped. The amount of backtracking you had to do if you wanted to 100% everything(find all the hidden crap)was ridiculous, since you didn't get the tools to get into some of the areas those items were hidden in until VERY late in the game.

I hate backtracking in games, unless it serves a real purpose, like some sort of waypoint for a mission.

Is it just me or are more people a little pissed that so many games are getting GOTY re-launches with added content within 6 months to a year of release and thus fuckin' over those of us who bought early?

I am tempted to get the LBP GOTY, but only if I can find a game to trade into GS from the $25 off promo list from someplace like Blockbuster during a B1G1.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Is it just me or are more people a little pissed that so many games are getting GOTY re-launches with added content within 6 months to a year of release and thus fuckin' over those of us who bought early? [/QUOTE]

It's just you. Nobody is getting "f'ed over", the early adopters purchased at a higher price for the chance to play the game sooner. Purchase games at the price you feel is fair for the content available at the time of purchase. Games will always drop in price or release with more content included later. Most games are front loaded in sales, and once a game has been out for six months or a year, the publisher has to do something to get back into the minds of gamers. Companies are forced to drop the price or realease with more content if they still want to sell any copies.

Geez, I certainly hope there is one. I already 1000'ed the main game when it came out (rented it from GF). Would love to pick up the complete package at a good price.

[quote name='msdmoney']It's just you. Nobody is getting "f'ed over", the early adopters purchased at a higher price for the chance to play the game sooner. Purchase games at the price you feel is fair for the content available at the time of purchase. Games will always drop in price or release with more content included later. Most games are front loaded in sales, and once a game has been out for six months or a year, the publisher has to do something to get back into the minds of gamers. Companies are forced to drop the price or realease with more content if they still want to sell any copies.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Batman: AA was a good game, but truly overhyped. The amount of backtracking you had to do if you wanted to 100% everything(find all the hidden crap)was ridiculous, since you didn't get the tools to get into some of the areas those items were hidden in until VERY late in the game.

I hate backtracking in games, unless it serves a real purpose, like some sort of waypoint for a mission.[/QUOTE]
Disagreeing with this post x10. AA was fun to backtrack through and find all those riddles. My only complaint is how dead the place seems at the end of the game. I didn't really want to find anyone else, but it'd be nice to have staff in there cleaning up.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I hate backtracking in games, unless it serves a real purpose, like some sort of waypoint for a mission.

Is it just me or are more people a little pissed that so many games are getting GOTY re-launches with added content within 6 months to a year of release and thus fuckin' over those of us who bought early?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should stay 1 gen behind or at the very least 3 years behind. That way you can always get games with a ton of content for 5-10 bucks.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Disagreeing with this post x10. AA was fun to backtrack through and find all those riddles. My only complaint is how dead the place seems at the end of the game. I didn't really want to find anyone else, but it'd be nice to have staff in there cleaning up.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Maybe you have to be a fan of Batman, but I certainly enjoyed finding everything. I also agree that they should have done something to add a little life to the place at the end of the game.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Disagreeing with this post x10. AA was fun to backtrack through and find all those riddles. My only complaint is how dead the place seems at the end of the game. I didn't really want to find anyone else, but it'd be nice to have staff in there cleaning up.[/QUOTE]
That was an issue for me too, in that maybe you might find an occasional goon or two that you didn't fight in the initial runthrough, but those fights were few and far between after the end of the game.

Then again, if I didn't find the riddles/trophies/etc on the first run through I didn't feel compelled to go back through and find them after the game was done due to how dead the game world was. I'm not really someone who HAS to 100% a title. As long as I finish the game, it was fun and not glitchy, then I got my money's worth.
[quote name='wildcpac']Maybe you should stay 1 gen behind or at the very least 3 years behind. That way you can always get games with a ton of content for 5-10 bucks.[/QUOTE]
Actually I still find a ton of games for $5-10 that I've wanted to play, especially with the prices of games going down so fast nowadays, but it seems every damn game is getting a "GOTY" edition now which jacks the price back up there to MSRP or close.

At least when Sony dropped Little Big Planet to Greatest Hits, they dropped the GOTY to $30 too.

they usually make a goty edition during the holiday season so let hope some news come out in the summer time then we will know for sure if there is going to be a goty edition for borderland.

bread's done
Back