Photo
- - - - -

XBOX 360 USB Compatibility Thread

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 KevinMassacre

KevinMassacre

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Since some xbox 360 owners out there are experiencing performance warnings and some arent, I started this thread to create a list of USB devices and show whether they are of xbox standards or not. Please post the brand of USB device you are using and if you got the performance warning or not. Also, if possible, post a link and price to where you bought it. Hopefully we can narrow a list of high performance devices and find great deals on them! I will update this first post daily to consolidate the info. Thanks CAG's!!! (NOTE: a performance warning does not mean its incompatible, it just means that data transfer speeds will vary greatly and will most likely be on the slower side)

NO Performance Warning
------------------------
SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB - http://www.newegg.co....-362-_-Product
Xporter Patriot 4GB
SanDisk 1GB Cruzer Mini (2005)
Kingston 8GB DataTraveler
Sandisk 4GB Cruzer Micro
Kingston DataTraveler 8GB DT100

Performance Warning
--------------------
MicroCenter Branded USB 4GB flash drive: Microcenter - $7.99
Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 120
DaneElec 8GB
OCZ Diesel 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Sony Pocket Bit USB Flash Drive - 8 GB
Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 101

So far, it seems, Sandisk products will work flawlessly. This makes sense seeing as the xbox 360 branded USB flash drives coming out in May are made by Sandisk.

UPDATE: So apparently, even after Major Nelson and Microsoft suggested staying away from external hard drives (spinning disk media), these guys did a test to see what was fastest by doing a game install on several flash drives and external HDD's. Turns out that the external hard drives are the fastest with the shortest install times. Watch the link below, very interesting:

http://kotaku.com/55...-360-usb-drives

So the test done in the video proves this thread's purpose pointless. The performance warning means nothing. Unless portability is what you are going for, the external hard drives are the way to go. Now we just have to find them cheap & small.

Edited by KevinMassacre, 09 April 2010 - 06:16 PM.
Updating Info

Posted Image

#2 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:38 PM

I'd keep an eye out on Newegg for some good price/performance/size ratios for drives.

#3 TXboxGuY

TXboxGuY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

I'm using this SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB. I bought it over a year ago although it was much cheaper then. I got a great deal on it although I haven't seen the price near ($15/ FREE Shipping) that in awhile. :-|

Just configured 1.5 GB for use and got no performance warning.

http://www.newegg.co...1-362-_-Product

#4 bagleyboy

bagleyboy

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

Performance issue on a PNY 2GB Memory stick with a funky pattern on (Had it free with my minibook...)
Refuses to work with my decent Maxell Messenger 4GB Stick :/

#5 Metalic Sand

Metalic Sand

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Used a 4GB Xporter patriot, It said i passed all the performence test. Works great.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Add me on LIVE to compare or challenge XBLA scores! https://www.dropbox....ls/NTUzNzI3OTg5

#6 Mikkey

Mikkey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

used a SanDisk 1GB cruzer mini from 2005 and it worked perfect with no warning

#7 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hmm, I haven't done anything with my USB Hard Drive, I was going to use my Western Digital Passport which has 250GB. Will I be able to use something so large?

#8 PenguinMaster

PenguinMaster

Sacrilicious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I used the 40GB hard drive out of my PS3 in an external enclosure, I got a performance warning.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...action=overview

#9 techparadox

techparadox

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hmm, I haven't done anything with my USB Hard Drive, I was going to use my Western Digital Passport which has 250GB. Will I be able to use something so large?

You can use it, but you'll only be able to use 16 GB out of that 250 for :360: purposes. You'd be better off just going out and dropping $40 a cheap 16-gig USB stick that you can leave jacked into the box 24/7.

#10 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Using Kingston 8GB DataTraveler, works perfectly.

#11 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

You can use it, but you'll only be able to use 16 GB out of that 250 for :360: purposes. You'd be better off just going out and dropping $40 a cheap 16-gig USB stick that you can leave jacked into the box 24/7.

Nah, I'd be better off NOT spending $40 and just using the HD I have. It's usually plugged in as it has all my digital downloads of movies stored on it, which I watch through my 360.

#12 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

I guess my 256MB memory unit is now worthless :-(

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#13 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

Fired up a Sandisk 4GB Cruzer Micro, no problems.

#14 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

Here's a few oddball devices that 3 other people will find usefull. I tried my Western Digital My Passport Essential 160GB hard drive and it gave me a warning and said it was below recommendations. Then I tried an Ativa USB SD Card Reader. It didn't work with either a 2GB SD or 4GB SDHC, both by Sandisk. The 2GB would proform the test and fail. The 4GB would automatically come up with a error screen saying that the device is write protected or something.

11317.png

#15 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

I'm wondering if that warning is bullshit (or at least overdramatic) to try to push certain memory units. Both of mine gave me warnings but I'm going to give it a shot anyway with the Kingston. If it's a legitimate issue, that is really fucking annoying.

Using Kingston 8GB DataTraveler, works perfectly.

I'm using a Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 120, and I get the warning. Are you using the 120?

Performance Warning:

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 120

DaneElec 8GB
Posted Image

#16 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

I am new to this can somebody explain what you can and cant do with the USB storage option?(i.e. can you save whole games to a USB Hard Drive for faster loading and less wear on your DVD drive?)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#17 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Dammit the Microcenter one doesn't work? Only USB stick I have that doesn't already have something on it.

Edit: Tried the Microcenter one and it "fails the data loss test" and says it won't work at all.

Edited by MSUHitman, 06 April 2010 - 10:48 PM.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#18 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

No no no, a Microcenter drive will work just fine. It's just telling you that it is slow. But honestly, anyone who has ever used any Microcenter USB drive knows that already. :)
End of line.

#19 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

No no no, a Microcenter drive will work just fine. It's just telling you that it is slow. But honestly, anyone who has ever used any Microcenter USB drive knows that already. :)

Tell that to my system because I put it in, did the authorization, and it denied saying it will not work. It didn't give me any option to override the system's decision.

It's the 4 GB one they gave away when visiting the new store that just opened up in St. Louis, I believe it's the same 4 GB one listed in the OP.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#20 halobender

halobender

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

Got a performance warning with the Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 101.

#21 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

I am using a Kingston DataTraveler 8GB DT100 (black), and no problems. Sorry to hear about the 101 trouble.

#22 crzyjoeguy

crzyjoeguy

King of Beers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:17 AM

i just used a OCZ Diesel 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and got this message
your device is ready, but dosnt meet xbox 360 performance recommendations.

you may experience significant performance problems playing games from the device or saving games and profiles to it.

if anyone wants to see the drive so they know not to buy one, its this but 8 gb not 4 (they dont have the 8gb anymore for some reason) http://www.newegg.co...7-331-_-Product
Posted Image

#23 thehuskerfan

thehuskerfan

Would you kindly?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:20 AM

Sony Pocket Bit USB Flash Drive - 8 GB

Does not meet 360 performance recommendations... go figure!! :lol:
2011 Nebraska Cornhuskers -- (9 - 3) -- Big Ten Baby! :D
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Add the 2 gb Version of the Microcenter flash drive to the list as well.

#25 andrewjohn81

andrewjohn81

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Strange, I got a performance warning with a Patriot Xporter 4GB.
Someone else on here didn't. I used a front usb. I'll try the back and see if there's a difference. If nothing, I'll reformat on my PC with FAT32 and try again. I'm not sure what format the drive was in previously. I assumed the xbox would take care of that if I select the whole drive.

#26 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

Corsair Flash Voyager 2G does not get any warning.

#27 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

I was going to add my large external HD, but it said it was going to wipe everything on it, so I declined. I'll snag a little 8GB drive to throw my DLC files onto.

#28 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

Is there a program out there that can id the chipsets used in some of these generic drives? What about those drives that are given out at conventions and promos?

#29 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

My 4GB Polaroid USB seems to work fine, despite the performance warning.

I really am curious if only Sandisk products will go through without the performance warning.
My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#30 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

Got the performance warning with my 1GB DataTraveler and an old external hard drive (some WD model).