XBOX 360 USB Compatibility Thread

KevinMassacre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Since some xbox 360 owners out there are experiencing performance warnings and some arent, I started this thread to create a list of USB devices and show whether they are of xbox standards or not. Please post the brand of USB device you are using and if you got the performance warning or not. Also, if possible, post a link and price to where you bought it. Hopefully we can narrow a list of high performance devices and find great deals on them! I will update this first post daily to consolidate the info. Thanks CAG's!!! (NOTE: a performance warning does not mean its incompatible, it just means that data transfer speeds will vary greatly and will most likely be on the slower side)

NO Performance Warning
------------------------
SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-362-_-Product
Xporter Patriot 4GB
SanDisk 1GB Cruzer Mini (2005)
Kingston 8GB DataTraveler
Sandisk 4GB Cruzer Micro
Kingston DataTraveler 8GB DT100

Performance Warning
--------------------
MicroCenter Branded USB 4GB flash drive: Microcenter - $7.99
Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 120
DaneElec 8GB
OCZ Diesel 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Sony Pocket Bit USB Flash Drive - 8 GB
Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 101

So far, it seems, Sandisk products will work flawlessly. This makes sense seeing as the xbox 360 branded USB flash drives coming out in May are made by Sandisk.

UPDATE: So apparently, even after Major Nelson and Microsoft suggested staying away from external hard drives (spinning disk media), these guys did a test to see what was fastest by doing a game install on several flash drives and external HDD's. Turns out that the external hard drives are the fastest with the shortest install times. Watch the link below, very interesting:

http://kotaku.com/5513406/your-guide-to-xbox-360-usb-drives

So the test done in the video proves this thread's purpose pointless. The performance warning means nothing. Unless portability is what you are going for, the external hard drives are the way to go. Now we just have to find them cheap & small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Performance issue on a PNY 2GB Memory stick with a funky pattern on (Had it free with my minibook...)
Refuses to work with my decent Maxell Messenger 4GB Stick :/

Hmm, I haven't done anything with my USB Hard Drive, I was going to use my Western Digital Passport which has 250GB. Will I be able to use something so large?

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Hmm, I haven't done anything with my USB Hard Drive, I was going to use my Western Digital Passport which has 250GB. Will I be able to use something so large?[/QUOTE]You can use it, but you'll only be able to use 16 GB out of that 250 for :360: purposes. You'd be better off just going out and dropping $40 a cheap 16-gig USB stick that you can leave jacked into the box 24/7.

[quote name='techparadox']You can use it, but you'll only be able to use 16 GB out of that 250 for :360: purposes. You'd be better off just going out and dropping $40 a cheap 16-gig USB stick that you can leave jacked into the box 24/7.[/QUOTE]
Nah, I'd be better off NOT spending $40 and just using the HD I have. It's usually plugged in as it has all my digital downloads of movies stored on it, which I watch through my 360.

Here's a few oddball devices that 3 other people will find usefull. I tried my Western Digital My Passport Essential 160GB hard drive and it gave me a warning and said it was below recommendations. Then I tried an Ativa USB SD Card Reader. It didn't work with either a 2GB SD or 4GB SDHC, both by Sandisk. The 2GB would proform the test and fail. The 4GB would automatically come up with a error screen saying that the device is write protected or something.

I'm wondering if that warning is bullshit (or at least overdramatic) to try to push certain memory units. Both of mine gave me warnings but I'm going to give it a shot anyway with the Kingston. If it's a legitimate issue, that is really fucking annoying.

[quote name='Yamato']Using Kingston 8GB DataTraveler, works perfectly.[/QUOTE]
I'm using a Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 120, and I get the warning. Are you using the 120?

Performance Warning:

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 120

DaneElec 8GB

I am new to this can somebody explain what you can and cant do with the USB storage option?(i.e. can you save whole games to a USB Hard Drive for faster loading and less wear on your DVD drive?)

Dammit the Microcenter one doesn't work? Only USB stick I have that doesn't already have something on it.

Edit: Tried the Microcenter one and it "fails the data loss test" and says it won't work at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
No no no, a Microcenter drive will work just fine. It's just telling you that it is slow. But honestly, anyone who has ever used any Microcenter USB drive knows that already. :)

[quote name='Nogib']No no no, a Microcenter drive will work just fine. It's just telling you that it is slow. But honestly, anyone who has ever used any Microcenter USB drive knows that already. :)[/QUOTE]

Tell that to my system because I put it in, did the authorization, and it denied saying it will not work. It didn't give me any option to override the system's decision.

It's the 4 GB one they gave away when visiting the new store that just opened up in St. Louis, I believe it's the same 4 GB one listed in the OP.

i just used a OCZ Diesel 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and got this message
your device is ready, but dosnt meet xbox 360 performance recommendations.

you may experience significant performance problems playing games from the device or saving games and profiles to it.

if anyone wants to see the drive so they know not to buy one, its this but 8 gb not 4 (they dont have the 8gb anymore for some reason) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=ocz_flash_drive-_-20-227-331-_-Product

Strange, I got a performance warning with a Patriot Xporter 4GB.
Someone else on here didn't. I used a front usb. I'll try the back and see if there's a difference. If nothing, I'll reformat on my PC with FAT32 and try again. I'm not sure what format the drive was in previously. I assumed the xbox would take care of that if I select the whole drive.

I was going to add my large external HD, but it said it was going to wipe everything on it, so I declined. I'll snag a little 8GB drive to throw my DLC files onto.

Is there a program out there that can id the chipsets used in some of these generic drives? What about those drives that are given out at conventions and promos?

My 4GB Polaroid USB seems to work fine, despite the performance warning.

I really am curious if only Sandisk products will go through without the performance warning.

A kindhearted individual who has a drive that passes the test and one that doesn't should compare speed using the same content and let us know if there's really that much of a difference. Obviously results will vary but we may be able to at least establish whether it really matters that much in general.

UPDATE: EVERYONE FAILING SHOULD TRY THIS!!!

Notice in my previous post about the Patriot Xporter 4GB it was claiming to fail the performance test? I solved it.

Went over to windows vista and did a full reformat (yeah, took 10 minutes or so) with Fat32 using the default settings.
Solved!

I first tried just moving usb. This drive doesn't really fit in the back btw. If you really push hard you can squeeze it in (might depend on your xbox model's usb location?)

Can the failing guys retry the test after doing that? I'll probably eventually get another drive and would like a more complete list of working models. Also...this tells me the SanDisk ones will probably have the same problem.

I'm sure Microsoft will update their site to reflect these findings on their site. I'm hoping they just build it right into the xbox though. Give a suggestion if it fails to just completely reformat the drive. It really should do it automatically if you are using the whole drive. I mean, it's dumping all the data anyway right?

[quote name='andrewjohn81']UPDATE: EVERYONE FAILING SHOULD TRY THIS!!!

Notice in my previous post about the Patriot Xporter 4GB it was claiming to fail the performance test? I solved it.

Went over to windows vista and did a full reformat (yeah, took 10 minutes or so) with Fat32 using the default settings.
Solved!

I first tried just moving usb. This drive doesn't really fit in the back btw. If you really push hard you can squeeze it in (might depend on your xbox model's usb location?)

Can the failing guys retry the test after doing that? I'll probably eventually get another drive and would like a more complete list of working models. Also...this tells me the SanDisk ones will probably have the same problem.

I'm sure Microsoft will update their site to reflect these findings on their site. I'm hoping they just build it right into the xbox though. Give a suggestion if it fails to just completely reformat the drive. It really should do it automatically if you are using the whole drive. I mean, it's dumping all the data anyway right?[/QUOTE]You might want to pick up something like this if you have issues getting the drive to fit if it's a thick USB drive:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5431&seq=1&format=2

1.5ft USB extension cable.

I bought a JetFlash V30 4gb yesterday at Target (on clearance for $11.48!) that failed.

I'll try the Vista reformat tonight.

EDIT: Not a "fail" but a performance warning.

I'm wondering if that warning is bullshit (or at least overdramatic) to try to push certain memory units. Both of mine gave me warnings but I'm going to give it a shot anyway with the Kingston. If it's a legitimate issue, that is really fucking annoying.

Put on your tinfoil hat - we've got a conspiracy theorist!

It wouldn't surprise me that M$ would do something like this though.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']Sony Pocket Bit USB Flash Drive - 8 GB

Does not meet 360 performance recommendations... go figure!! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Damn... that was the one I was going to use! Blah..

Solved!

I'm sure Microsoft will update their site to reflect these findings on their site. I'm hoping they just build it right into the xbox though. Give a suggestion if it fails to just completely reformat the drive. It really should do it automatically if you are using the whole drive. I mean, it's dumping all the data anyway right?[/QUOTE]

tried it, no go. still got the error with the Diesel

edit: just realized you meant for devices failing and not working lol. disregard my post

well, i moved the blur beta to my usb drive, and it worked without any hiccups even though i got the performance warning..... just thought id mention that

I'm running the new Modern Warfare maps off of my "incompatible" flash drive, and it works just fine.. conspiracy theory me thinks!!

Solved!

I'm sure Microsoft will update their site to reflect these findings on their site. I'm hoping they just build it right into the xbox though. Give a suggestion if it fails to just completely reformat the drive. It really should do it automatically if you are using the whole drive. I mean, it's dumping all the data anyway right?[/QUOTE]

Mine now meets 360 requirements after this. Thanks!

I tried my 1 GB Kingston DataTraveler and got the performance warning. This even after I formatted it. Moreover, I think the warnings are legitimate as when it was plugged into my Xbox it took *much* longer to bring up the dashboard, lists of games, etc. I mean unbearably slow. Needless to say I won't be using this flash drive with my xbox.

Also, I tried using the technique of selecting a game and pressing Y, but this wants to copy everything, including the copy of the game on my HDD, which needless to say, won't fit. So I still end up having to go into the game and select each save file and such individually and copy them over. Annoying. I wish there were a better way.

[quote name='Tony208']Will load times decrease if you install games onto the usb flash drive and play off that?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean compared to playing off the DVD, or do you mean compared to playing off the HDD? I doubt the latter would be faster as you're going through USB2. Maybe it's faster then DVD, but how many 360 DVD games will fit onto a 16 GB flash drive?

[quote name='crunchewy']Do you mean compared to playing off the DVD, or do you mean compared to playing off the HDD? I doubt the latter would be faster as you're going through USB2. Maybe it's faster then DVD, but how many 360 DVD games will fit onto a 16 GB flash drive?[/QUOTE]
All of them....

Oh, you mean how many simultaneously? Maybe 2-3, tops, but it's a viable solution for those with a 20GB HDD since the OS and OG Xbox support knock out so much by default.

[quote name='crunchewy']Do you mean compared to playing off the DVD, or do you mean compared to playing off the HDD? I doubt the latter would be faster as you're going through USB2. Maybe it's faster then DVD, but how many 360 DVD games will fit onto a 16 GB flash drive?[/QUOTE]

USB flash drive vs the hard drive

I got a performance warning with my 500 GB Seagate hard drive, but I guess that is to be expected. I installed Mass Effect on it, and it seems to work just fine though.

bread's done
Back