XBOX 360 USB Compatibility Thread

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#31 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

A kindhearted individual who has a drive that passes the test and one that doesn't should compare speed using the same content and let us know if there's really that much of a difference. Obviously results will vary but we may be able to at least establish whether it really matters that much in general.
Posted Image

#32 andrewjohn81

andrewjohn81

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

UPDATE: EVERYONE FAILING SHOULD TRY THIS!!!

Notice in my previous post about the Patriot Xporter 4GB it was claiming to fail the performance test? I solved it.

Went over to windows vista and did a full reformat (yeah, took 10 minutes or so) with Fat32 using the default settings.
Solved!

I first tried just moving usb. This drive doesn't really fit in the back btw. If you really push hard you can squeeze it in (might depend on your xbox model's usb location?)

Can the failing guys retry the test after doing that? I'll probably eventually get another drive and would like a more complete list of working models. Also...this tells me the SanDisk ones will probably have the same problem.

I'm sure Microsoft will update their site to reflect these findings on their site. I'm hoping they just build it right into the xbox though. Give a suggestion if it fails to just completely reformat the drive. It really should do it automatically if you are using the whole drive. I mean, it's dumping all the data anyway right?

#33 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

Notice in my previous post about the Patriot Xporter 4GB it was claiming to fail the performance test? I solved it.

Went over to windows vista and did a full reformat (yeah, took 10 minutes or so) with Fat32 using the default settings.
Solved!

I first tried just moving usb. This drive doesn't really fit in the back btw. If you really push hard you can squeeze it in (might depend on your xbox model's usb location?)

Can the failing guys retry the test after doing that? I'll probably eventually get another drive and would like a more complete list of working models. Also...this tells me the SanDisk ones will probably have the same problem.

I'm sure Microsoft will update their site to reflect these findings on their site. I'm hoping they just build it right into the xbox though. Give a suggestion if it fails to just completely reformat the drive. It really should do it automatically if you are using the whole drive. I mean, it's dumping all the data anyway right?

You might want to pick up something like this if you have issues getting the drive to fit if it's a thick USB drive:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

1.5ft USB extension cable.

#34 Birbo

Birbo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

I bought a JetFlash V30 4gb yesterday at Target (on clearance for $11.48!) that failed.

I'll try the Vista reformat tonight.

EDIT: Not a "fail" but a performance warning.

#35 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

I'm wondering if that warning is bullshit (or at least overdramatic) to try to push certain memory units. Both of mine gave me warnings but I'm going to give it a shot anyway with the Kingston. If it's a legitimate issue, that is really Fucking annoying.

Put on your tinfoil hat - we've got a conspiracy theorist!

It wouldn't surprise me that M$ would do something like this though.
Posted Image

#36 caldazar

caldazar

RiderOnAPaleHorse

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

tag for future reference

#37 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Sony Pocket Bit USB Flash Drive - 8 GB

Does not meet 360 performance recommendations... go figure!! :lol:

Damn... that was the one I was going to use! Blah..

These are the games that I am currently playing:

:ps3: Batman: Arkham City

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8
:3ds: Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage

Here is a direct link to my trade list.

#38 crzyjoeguy

crzyjoeguy

King of Beers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:46 AM

well, i moved the blur beta to my usb drive, and it worked without any hiccups even though i got the performance warning..... just thought id mention that
Posted Image

#39 thehuskerfan

thehuskerfan

Would you kindly?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:56 AM

I'm running the new Modern Warfare maps off of my "incompatible" flash drive, and it works just fine.. conspiracy theory me thinks!!
2011 Nebraska Cornhuskers -- (9 - 3) -- Big Ten Baby! :D
Posted Image Posted Image

#40 Birbo

Birbo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:51 AM

Solved!

Mine now meets 360 requirements after this. Thanks!

#41 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:16 AM

Format trick didn't work for me on my Kingston. Oh well.
Posted Image

#42 Tony208

Tony208

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:25 AM

Will load times decrease if you install games onto the usb flash drive and play off that?
Digital distribution comes with strings.

#43 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:26 AM

I tried my 1 GB Kingston DataTraveler and got the performance warning. This even after I formatted it. Moreover, I think the warnings are legitimate as when it was plugged into my Xbox it took *much* longer to bring up the dashboard, lists of games, etc. I mean unbearably slow. Needless to say I won't be using this flash drive with my xbox.

Also, I tried using the technique of selecting a game and pressing Y, but this wants to copy everything, including the copy of the game on my HDD, which needless to say, won't fit. So I still end up having to go into the game and select each save file and such individually and copy them over. Annoying. I wish there were a better way.

Crunchewy.png

#44 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:31 AM

Will load times decrease if you install games onto the usb flash drive and play off that?

Do you mean compared to playing off the DVD, or do you mean compared to playing off the HDD? I doubt the latter would be faster as you're going through USB2. Maybe it's faster then DVD, but how many 360 DVD games will fit onto a 16 GB flash drive?

Crunchewy.png

#45 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:36 AM

Do you mean compared to playing off the DVD, or do you mean compared to playing off the HDD? I doubt the latter would be faster as you're going through USB2. Maybe it's faster then DVD, but how many 360 DVD games will fit onto a 16 GB flash drive?

All of them....

Oh, you mean how many simultaneously? Maybe 2-3, tops, but it's a viable solution for those with a 20GB HDD since the OS and OG Xbox support knock out so much by default.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#46 Tony208

Tony208

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

USB flash drive vs the hard drive

#47 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:50 AM

2 GB stick from the Forza 3 Collector's Edition (Sandisk)
No errors or compatibility issues.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#48 Nathan_Sama

Nathan_Sama

I'm backwards compatable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

I got a performance warning with my 500 GB Seagate hard drive, but I guess that is to be expected. I installed Mass Effect on it, and it seems to work just fine though.

#49 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

All of them....

Oh, you mean how many simultaneously? Maybe 2-3, tops, but it's a viable solution for those with a 20GB HDD since the OS and OG Xbox support knock out so much by default.

I'm embarrassed to say that, no, I meant a single game. I was sleepy. Not thinking straight. Shouldn't post when sleepy. :)

Crunchewy.png

#50 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

USB flash drive vs the hard drive

Well, I would presume not, since USB2 would be the bottleneck and I'm pretty sure that USB2 is a lot slower then the SATA that the HDD is connected with (it is SATA in the 360, right?). No harm in trying, though! Maybe the results would be surprising?

Crunchewy.png

#51 Tony208

Tony208

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

^I'm only knowledgeable about advertised speeds like USB2.0 480Mb vs SATA II 300Mb (the 360 drive is 5400rpm so even slower?). I don't know how fast they actually operate. I guess I'll try to find out.

#52 js1

js1

Badassfully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

Quick question do you still need the transfer cable, even with the new update?

Gamertags:

PSN: Ghost_Face_36

XBL:  Gh0st Face 36

Twitch: 

Spoiler

#53 Last Baron

Last Baron

Mark it zero

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:17 AM

If you have a Dark Void branded USB from when they were giving away swag, don't bother. I got warnings about performance issues and only had about 32kb available after formatting.

#54 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hmmm, how much space is actually suppose to be on that Dark Void USB drive? The performance issue shouldn't have anything to do with "missing" space.

#55 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:38 AM

2 GB stick from the Forza 3 Collector's Edition (Sandisk)
No errors or compatibility issues.

Forgot to mention that you only get to use 1.4 GB of the storage after setup.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#56 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

^I'm only knowledgeable about advertised speeds like USB2.0 480Mb vs SATA II 300Mb (the 360 drive is 5400rpm so even slower?). I don't know how fast they actually operate. I guess I'll try to find out.

Your numbers are bit off there. SATA is theoretically capable of 1.5 Gb/s and SATA II is 3.0 Gb/s! :) Of course these are just theoretical, but I can assure you that in practice SATA is much, much faster then USB2, and USB2 is much slower then its theoretical speed, much more so then SATA - more overhead with USB and probably other reasons that I'm not savvy enough to know.

Crunchewy.png

#57 KevinMassacre

KevinMassacre

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

UPDATE: So apparently, even after Major Nelson and Microsoft suggested staying away from external hard drives (spinning disk media), these guys did a test to see what was fastest by doing a game install on several flash drives and external HDD's. Turns out that the external hard drives are the fastest with the shortest install times. Watch the link below, very interesting:

http://kotaku.com/55....360-usb-drives
Posted Image

#58 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

I saw that video but it makes no mention of formatting for 16 gb partitions or does the 360 allowed access to the entire drive's storage space without breaking it down into pieces? At this time I really don't see a point in this 16 gb limitation and so I find there is nothing to get excited about.

#59 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:25 AM

Tempted to just buy a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB USB Flash Drive on eBay for like $32.00 .. is this a good deal on flash drives, considering newegg has them listed for $39 and up? Or does someone know a coupon code or deal site we can use to get these things for cheap? ;)
MLIFTgM.gif

#60 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

I took a chance on a Kingston 8 gb DataTraveler 112, and it proves to work like a charm, with no performance warning. It's pretty cheap from amazon. Something like $16 shipped with FSSS or prime. Seems fast and it's smaller/shorter then most flash drives.