XBOX 360 USB Compatibility Thread

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#61 Sdawg

Sdawg

Lord of the Squirrels

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:21 AM

The dark void drives should be 1 gb, but one of mine had a faulty chip in it, so I can only format it to like 32k on my computer and I can't use it without formatting, so that may be why it didn't work. On a side note, I really wished the iPhone layout had a quote option, would make things much easier, lol.

Edited by Sdawg, 10 April 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#62 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Patriot Xporter XT 8gb received no errors.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#63 Goodeye

Goodeye

Resident Halo nerd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

The Mimobot USB drives work with the dashboard and work quite well.
[FONT="]Posted ImagePosted Image

[/FONT]

#64 the_void

the_void

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

My 16gb Kodak USB recieved no errors.

#65 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:32 AM

Dang it, I was planning on running out to Microcenter to get one of their USB drives, because you can't beat the price... stinks that they are failing the performance test.

#66 csidegamer

csidegamer

What problem w/ Dwarves?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:34 AM

Kingston Datatraveler DT1 / 8GB
Performance warning, but working fine.
fs_overall.pngs2741431x15a.png

#67 life.exe

life.exe

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

Centon DataStickPro 4GB
OCZ Diesel 8GB

Both do NOT work.

Edited by life.exe, 12 April 2010 - 03:36 PM.

#68 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Hey Shrike/Linkin Prime, shouldn't this thread be stickied since it's a significant new feature of the system?

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#69 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

LP isnt a mod anymore

#70 crzyjoeguy

crzyjoeguy

King of Beers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

Centon DataStickPro 4GB
OCZ Diesel 8GB

Both do NOT work.

my 8 gb OCZ diesel works just fine. it gave me a performance warning, but its working just fine. ran arcade games, and dlc of of it. and i now have MW2 installed to it and that runs perfectly. if yours isnt working at all, id try reformatting it on your pc.
Posted Image

#71 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

The 16 gb version of the Kingston Data Traveler 112 is the goldbox deal of the day today for $25 shipped. I have the 8 gb version and it works great with the 360, with no performance warning. Also a nice thing about it is that it's shorter then most flash drives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

#72 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

The 16 gb version of the Kingston Data Traveler 112 is the goldbox deal of the day today for $25 shipped. I have the 8 gb version and it works great with the 360, with no performance warning. Also a nice thing about it is that it's shorter then most flash drives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

I was wondering this myself, and trying to figure out if there would be a performance warning associated with it. Is it a pretty safe bet that there won't be?
My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#73 life.exe

life.exe

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

my 8 gb OCZ diesel works just fine. it gave me a performance warning, but its working just fine. ran arcade games, and dlc of of it. and i now have MW2 installed to it and that runs perfectly. if yours isnt working at all, id try reformatting it on your pc.

I reformatted twice and it failed both times afterward.

#74 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Are there any advantages of using a USB flash drive for dlc, game saves, etc. if you still have space on your console's hdd?

I'm just wondering if I should even bother getting another media device (I still have a 64mb mu, too, for moving my profile).

Joystiq mentioned something about the "inevitable" hdd failure, so that kinda made me nervous.

#75 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

I was thinking about getting an enclosure for one of my older hard drives (80 GB IDE/ATA) to use with the 360 for some added space after I move some stuff off of it to my new PC, so have there been any reported issues on external enclosures yet that I should make sure to avoid?

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#76 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

I ordered a Sandisc 16GB cruiser for free with credit card points. Hopefully it will come in soon. My 120 is runnng out of room grumble grumble.

#77 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:21 AM

The biggest benefit I can see is moving around downloaded content between systems. Notably, Rock Band songs. The 256/512 memory cards would run out fast.

#78 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:27 AM

Are there any advantages of using a USB flash drive for dlc, game saves, etc. if you still have space on your console's hdd?

One nice thing is you can move your profile and saves onto the flash drive and then if you visit friends/family you can take that with you and play games with your saves. At least I think that is possible. Truthfully I'm a newb and haven't been able to test yet if this actually works. I do have my profile on my flash drive, and I have some of my saves on there. I think you can also put XBLA games on the flash drive and as long as you have your profile on there too, and log in on the other console, you can play the XBLA games. I'm not really sure about that, though.

As backup, though, it's actually a real pain to do, especially if you have multiple profiles on your drive and/or you install DVD games to the hard drive. That's because you can't then just select a game and say to copy everything for that game to the flash drive. If you've got an installed DVD game it will complain and not work. So you have to go one level deepr and then copy each file individually. Major pain depending on the game. If you have multiple profiles and saves from other profiles as well as from your own, you'll have to copy the saves from each individual profile - you can't copy everybody's saves at once. You have to copy your saves, then switch profiles and copy that profiles saves, etc. In general, most of the time I seem to have to copy individual files. End result is it isn't practical to use as a backup, at least not as a good one. You'll do it once, maybe, but I doubt you'll keep the backups up to date. Not even close.

#79 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:36 AM

I ordered a Sandisc 16GB cruiser for free with credit card points. Hopefully it will come in soon. My 120 is runnng out of room grumble grumble.

Why don't you just delete some of the copied games? Those eat up like 4-6 Gb each.

#80 crzyjoeguy

crzyjoeguy

King of Beers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:41 AM

I reformatted twice and it failed both times afterward.

well that sucks. guess im lucky mine works. i gues people should avoid the ocz just to be safe
Posted Image

#81 Ziv

Ziv

Jerk Extreme

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:15 AM

I only keep the ones I play on a semi regular basis. I don't keep the ones I don't play anymore.

#82 YodaEXE

YodaEXE

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:48 AM

I picked up this drive from Newegg. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820178252

A 16GB PNY Mini Attache. Works perfect on my 360. No performance warning. I actually took the time to go through and copy every gamesave I've got on my 360 to it, along with some DLC, so it's all backed up in case I ever have an issue. I then copied all the files from the drive to my desktop as well, as an added safety measure. So now I have a pretty much complete backup of my 360, along with a backup of my PS3. Yay!
Posted Image

#83 LiveCrazy_Joe

LiveCrazy_Joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:56 AM

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

Sandisk 16GB
Picked up one of these and its works perfectly.

#84 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

Can you "copy" game saves to the flash memory, or do you have to "move" them (only have them on one device at a time)?

I think you can only move your profile, so I don't know how it works for saves.

#85 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Can you "copy" game saves to the flash memory, or do you have to "move" them (only have them on one device at a time)?

I think you can only move your profile, so I don't know how it works for saves.

You can copy saves and lots of other things. Profiles, you are correct - they can only be moved. Also, I did find some things it wouldn't let me copy even though it would for other games, so I guess the game can decide what you are able to do. Or something decides that, and not always in your favor, but most stuff I'm able to copy.

#86 GLOCKGLOCK

GLOCKGLOCK

Too many games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

You can copy saves and lots of other things. Profiles, you are correct - they can only be moved. Also, I did find some things it wouldn't let me copy even though it would for other games, so I guess the game can decide what you are able to do. Or something decides that, and not always in your favor, but most stuff I'm able to copy.

Yea some games do not allow you to copy saves. I made a list when i was copying my stuff over. I'll try to post it when I get home from work.

Also remember that you cannot mass copy items by using the handy transfer content option (hit "Y" button when highlighting the HDD). That only allows you to mass move content. If you want to copy all your games you have to highlight each game, hit "Y" and select copy. This is very tedious and time consuming especially if you have played more than 100 games on your profile.

Let's go Pens!

#87 n33no

n33no

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

my Microcenter 4gb drive didnt work ether

#88 IronsideGrunt

IronsideGrunt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:00 AM

http://www.sandisk.c...usb-flash-drive

In case anyone here cares...

69.99 for the 16 gb / 34.99 for the 8 gb

....at least it will always work in case MS decides to ever pull the plug on 3rd party ones (like it did with memory cards) since this one is 'officially' licensed...

BTW...

I have my profile on a 512 mem card...for whatever reason my profile loads faster on that than on my HDD...

If I get a USB and put my profile there, would it be better than the memory card? ie., which is faster? Memory card or USB flash?

#89 FISTINFACE

FISTINFACE

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

Sandisk 16GB
Picked up one of these and its works perfectly.

Picked this up as well. I can confirm that is works perfectly.
Posted Image

#90 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

UPDATE: So apparently, even after Major Nelson and Microsoft suggested staying away from external hard drives (spinning disk media), these guys did a test to see what was fastest by doing a game install on several flash drives and external HDD's. Turns out that the external hard drives are the fastest with the shortest install times. Watch the link below, very interesting:

http://kotaku.com/55...-360-usb-drives

So the test done in the video proves this thread's purpose pointless. The performance warning means nothing. Unless portability is what you are going for, the external hard drives are the way to go. Now we just have to find them cheap & small.

Very interesting. I guess my suspicion about MS giving you inaccurate results seems to be at least partially correct.
Posted Image