Did my phat PS2 bite the big one?

Buuhan1

CAGiversary!
I have a phat PS2 from 2002, this baby has been my main source of gaming in my life, but it's been neglected since I got the PS3 6 months ago. After finally going back to it after my PS3 I found the blurryness almost too much to stand, so I decided to buy component cables.

I hook em up today and being very neglectful of what I'm doing I plug them into my TV AFTER plugging them into my PS2. Pulling on the cable I ended up pulling my PS2 off my living room table straight to the floor. My floor is carpeted, the PS2 landed flat, and it's only about a foot and a half drop. The PS2 was also completely off when this happened.

I turn the PS2 on and it's just fine, I set everything up for component, etc.. etc.. I put a game I just got in to test the progressive scan (Beyond Good and Evil) and it plays fine. (I played about 5 minutes of the game) I turn it off and go on about my business.

So, I come back to test more games, PS2 starts up just fine. I put in a disc and my ears are greeted with very ugly sounds of the PS2 trying to read the disc. It says reading disc for an unusually long time, so I take the game out and wipe it off before inserting it. This time, it reads then goes to the red "Please insert a PlayStation or PlayStation 2 disc..." screen. I put another game in, it does the same thing.

Is my disc drive fucked? Am I gonna have to finally bury my baby and get a slim? I start with an upgrade, and end with the ultimate downgrade. XD

Well, I kept trying and it seems to have fixed itself. It's loading games just fine and the noises have stopped. I'd be making sweet sweet love with it, but I kinda wanna get on my PS3 and mess around with LBP. It can't feel neglected, it's gotten 12 hours of play time out of me recently.

Welp, now it's only reading certain games. It won't read Yakuza 2 at all, but will Yakuza 1.

I have no clue, but I think Target has the slims on clearance for $70 or something. If you want a slim, I think they will only become harder to find the longer you wait.

Edit: Although, a local Toys R Us still has Game Cubes, so who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
No go, they're $100 at my local Target. My Kmart (shockingly) has PS2s in stock, so worse comes to worse I'll have to layaway it.

[quote name='Buuhan1']No go, they're $100 at my local Target. My Kmart (shockingly) has PS2s in stock, so worse comes to worse I'll have to layaway it.[/QUOTE]

let me know if you find a cheap one cuz i need to buy one soon my phat is acting funy

Sorry, I completely forgot to update. My PS2 is fine, GameStop just sent me a bad copy of Yakuza 2. My PS2 not reading other games was just a fluke thankfully, everything's good now.

That is good to hear. I'd be sad if my PS2 broke...i'd probably try to fix it honestly if that happened because I wouldn't want to replace it :lol:

[quote name='Paco']Grinding noise means you need to lube up the gears a bit.[/QUOTE]
My PS2 and I have been together eight years, but I don't think we're ready to be that intimate with one another yet.

bread's done
Back