Suggestions about starting MMORPG

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:20 AM

The problem is that despite the game being an MMORPG which should have huge devides between low geared and high geared it's still a competitive game where skill should be the main factor. So even if you're maxed out in gear, guy who only raids occasionally can still beat you if he outdoes you. Forcing players to have good gear to raid but the only way to get good gear is to raid is a poor system so the game needs to be rewarding.

The problem is they give out good gear way to easily. You shouldn't be able to skip half the games end game raid content and go to the last couple of raid instances in a short amount of time once hitting 80. Also, to be in those top tier guilds you wont even make it through most app processes if you don't know how to play your character extremely well. People that buy accounts/gear or whatever are extremely easy to spot.

But yeah, there are plenty of actually skilled people that don't have the gear for whatever reason, but that is pretty much the whole point of WoW getting better gear. It is a shame most people that hit 80 now will never truly experience Naxx, it is Blizzards best raid content to date still. It was pronominal when it was originally released in vanilla WoW.

Giving out the gear just takes away so much of the challenge that it doesn't even make the game fun. Too many people have gear that is way way way above what their skill level would realistically get them.

#32 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Personally, I like the changes. As a random schmuck that has nowhere near enough time to raid everything continuously to gear myself up, it allows me to actually see the upper levels of content. It allows me to actually partake in some of the lore.

Yeah that sounds like they're making it better to me, but I guess if you spent all that time getting something and suddenly it was really easy to get it, I'd feel silly for having wasted all that time grinding for it (I'd feel silly for it anyway but thats beside the point!). Its probably hard for those people to keep in mind whats good for more people when having their "hard work" taken from them, so of course they'd be at least a little bitter.

Also, I have no idea what a raid is. I've seen it so many times. Is it just WoW's term for groups for specific missions?

Also, to be in those top tier guilds you wont even make it through most app processes if you don't know how to play your character extremely well. People that buy accounts/gear or whatever are extremely easy to spot.

But yeah, there are plenty of actually skilled people that don't have the gear for whatever reason, but that is pretty much the whole point of WoW getting better gear. It is a shame most people that hit 80 now will never truly experience Naxx, it is Blizzards best raid content to date still. It was pronominal when it was originally released in vanilla WoW.

Giving out the gear just takes away so much of the challenge that it doesn't even make the game fun. Too many people have gear that is way way way above what their skill level would realistically get them.

Holy shit you make WoW sound terrible. OP I'd rethink trying it if what this guy is saying is true. Its one of those "People don't play it to have fun, people play it to have a sense of accomplishment" video games.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

Yeah that sounds like they're making it better to me, but I guess if you spent all that time getting something and suddenly it was really easy to get it, I'd feel silly for having wasted all that time grinding for it (I'd feel silly for it anyway but thats beside the point!). Its probably hard for those people to keep in mind whats good for more people when having their "hard work" taken from them, so of course they'd be at least a little bitter.

Also, I have no idea what a raid is. I've seen it so many times. Is it just WoW's term for groups for specific missions?

Holy shit you make WoW sound terrible. OP I'd rethink trying it if what this guy is saying is true. Its one of those "People don't play it to have fun, people play it to have a sense of accomplishment" video games.

Raid for WoW is getting 10-25(depending on raid dungeon) people (normally a guild) go through normally fight "trash" mobs (mobs that just block the path to the boss) to get to bosses in the raid instance to kill and get loot. That are lots of bosses in an raid instance and the whole goal is to get gear from killing them. You can only kill the boss once a week then your timer resets and you do it all over again. Bosses will drop a set amount of items but their loot tables are usually pretty large so it might take a lot of kills to actually see a certain item. Then depending on how the guild does loot, you might or might not get the item (loot systems can be pretty complex and sometimes you might go a long time before getting an item you want).

Each boss requires different strategies and your raid will need a certain amount of certain classes to actually progress. Some bosses are easy and you can kill them your very first time fighting them ever, others you can be stuck on for weeks or longer sometimes, it all varies on the players skills and how good everyones gear is generally.

Raiding, is all about killing bosses for better gear. Rinse and repeat when a new raid instance comes out with better gear.

I don't mean to make WoW sound terrible, it is a good game, but it has become so easy and catered to the casual market now that it is a pale shadow of what it once was in many ways. Blizzard implemented "Hard Modes" for bosses (various things change for the boss fight or timer/restrictions are put in to make it more challenging ) but even those on the whole aren't hard outside of a few bosses.

If you never plan to play hardcore then yeah WoW is pretty a slice of heaven to most if they get into it. It practically rewards you for scratching your ass.