GOG Release Thread - Space Empires IV / Two Worlds II / Don't Starve / Fez

• Please log in to reply
1214 replies to this topic

#121 citiznmatt

citiznmatt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

I don't ....wow. Panzer General, the PC games, is absolutely nothing like the XBLA boardgame. Think WWII hex-based operation-level strategy games. Absolutely nothing in common with the XBLA game...except the setting and the name.

#122 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Probably WAAAAAAY too complicated for me!
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#123 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

Updated OP with today's release of Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich for $5.99.

#124 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Oh nice! Great price for a good game!

I already own it, but geez, this is one of those "is there some reason I need to buy a second copy?" situations :-D

I hope GOG.com really does add console games too. I would LOVE to buy stuff from the systems they listed (though unfortunately they didn't list NES, but they did list SNES!).
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#125 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

Updated OP for today's release of another classic adventure, The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time from Presto (Myst III, Star Trek: Hidden Evil, Journeyman Trilogy) for $5.99.

#126 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:29 AM

It's weird that they didn't start with the original. Why buy it if I can't play the first one first?

#127 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

I remember Star Trek: Hidden Evil! I think I finally reached it in my backlog a couple years back :-D It was too hard for me, as most point & click style adventure games are.

I remember trying and loving the demo for the third Journeyman Project. I remember it as looking really fantastic too, and I loved the sort-of 3D. I'd probably buy that, but I don't know about the first two.

Is there some reason why this is called Journeyman, and that show from a year or two back was also called Journeyman? Is that some time travel slang or something? :lol: Awesome show, wish it hadn't been canceled.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#128 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

While you're stopping by to check out Buried in Time, be sure to read about the David & Goliath 5-Day Showdown for the chance to spread the love of GOG while possibly winning a free game.

And if you actually found out about GOG from this thread/Weekend Deal threads, then feel free to complete the Facebook entry (instructions on all three ways to win located at the bottom of the page) referring to my GOG ID (JDV72) :). Hope some CAGs win!

I remember trying and loving the demo for the third Journeyman Project. I remember it as looking really fantastic too, and I loved the sort-of 3D.

If you like messing around with olive oil in Greece in the demo, just wait until you get to the yak butter!

It's weird that they didn't start with the original. Why buy it if I can't play the first one first?

Frustrating, I know. A similar situation exists with the Space Quest/King's Quest releases. To the diehards, buying 4+5+6 first is not a significant issue. But for new & interested buyers, the publishers view the later and more advanced games as better ambassadors (Though the differences between TJP 1/2
Spoiler
are not as drastic as, for example, King's Quest 1/4
Spoiler
) The 'oldies' are on their way, though, don't worry.

#129 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Updated OP with today's release of Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos for $5.99.

Community site & Mods can be found here.

#130 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I won a free game from GOG.com but man, I'm torn on which game to use it on. Thanks for the heads-up on the contest, cheapo!

#131 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

Updated OP with today's release of Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos for $5.99.

Community site & Mods can be found here.

Hey, what is this? I love this genre but hadn't heard of this.

Is it playable without a joystick? Man, I'd have to buy a new one if it's not...
[LIST]

Posted Image

#132 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

Updated OP with the third entry in Altar's UFO trilogy,
UFO: Afterlight, for $9.99.

Is it playable without a joystick? Man, I'd have to buy a new one if it's not...

Sadly, IW2 is not optimized for anything but a joystick for ship movement. I can be controlled with M/KB, but it will take some work with a mouse.ini or keybinder.

#133 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

Darn, thanks! It's funny, I don't even know if Microsoft or whoever MAKES joysticks anymore. I used to love them, and now I'm like "eeeeew, I have to pull one out?" :-D
[LIST]

Posted Image

#134 paean

paean

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

Thanks OP! Bought my first GoG game, IWar 2!

#135 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:41 AM

Darn, thanks! It's funny, I don't even know if Microsoft or whoever MAKES joysticks anymore. I used to love them, and now I'm like "eeeeew, I have to pull one out?" :-D

No kidding. I'd love to spend time and play these but gah the lack of room on my desk just makes me irked every time I have to set my X52 up. Even the Sidewinders are a hassle to have around on the desk. :-#

I miss playing MS FSX :cry:
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#136 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

GOG is like the ultimate gold mine of old software that could ever
be found in a thrift store. It does have some downsides, such as
that some titles have been pulled, but otherwise, it's great.

#137 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Updated OP with today's release from Atari of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (AITD 4) for $5.99.

#138 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

I think I'm going to buy this one...I think it was supposed to be pretty good (unlike the horrible most recent one). Looks really good from the screen shots too...I was surprised it was that old.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#139 The Nephilim

The Nephilim

The Troll King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Seems to have a RE2 vibe to it. I'm interested.

#140 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

The game came out during the PlayStation/Dreamcast days, and it's $5.99? If it was $5 or less, I'd definitely grab it.

I played it back in the day, and, being a late-generation PSOne game, it had nice graphics. I'm not sure how it holds up today, especially on a PC.

#141 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

I read a review for it and am a bit iffier now, though $6 isn't much, and the visuals look nice (even if they're locked at a now-low resolution).
[LIST]

Posted Image

#142 Dreamcastguy

Dreamcastguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

The Dreamcast version was OK. I remember that the PC version had some hilarious graphics errors due to my video card.

This game plays much better with a game pad.

If you are a huge survival horror fan and don't mind the tank controls I would give this one a shot. It's not nearly as good as the classic RE/Silent Hill series though.

#143 mogamer

mogamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

This game plays much better with a game pad.

This is why I played it and the Tomb Raider games on the Playstation instead of the pc. I have a hard time with tank controls and tank controls with a Kb/M are practically unplayable for me. :cry:

#144 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

Does it support gamepads? I'm guessing even if it did back then, it wouldn't support the Xbox pad, just 'cause it seems like whatever standard they were using back then isn't compatible with it totally.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#145 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Updated OP with the release of Space Quest 1+2+3 for $9.99 to (almost) complete the series. The SQ1 VGA release has been left out.

#146 The Carrot Cake Kid

The Carrot Cake Kid

Luvs Creamy Frosting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

The Space Quest series was Sierra's best offering IMO. Brings back some really cool memories.

#147 yukonrye

yukonrye

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Space Quest is great. SQ1 was my first PC game. The clerk at Radio Shack made a copy of it and gave it to me when my parents bought a Tandy 1000.

While this is a good deal you can play SQ1 & 2 online in a browser for free at http://sarien.net/. Infamous Adventures is also working on a remake of SQ2 but I have no idea when it will be released. SQ3 is still my favorite in the series.

#148 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

While this is a good deal you can play SQ1 & 2 online in a browser for free at http://sarien.net/

Ah, cool, thank you for that!! Does the browser allow you to save, or do you have to finish in one sitting?

#149 yukonrye

yukonrye

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

Yes you can save.

Saving and restoring
Sarien.net offers savegames through browser bookmarks. When you press CTRL + 5 (to emulate F5), or type save, the url in the address bar changes, and a dialog appears, asking you to bookmark the current page. The bookmark is your savegame. It stores your location, position, inventory and game status. Note that the visual state of objects is not saved, as this might exceed the maximum url length.

#150 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Updated OP for today's release of Croteam's Serious Sam: The First Encounter for $9.99.

Second Encounter coming soon.