CAGcast #196: A Piece of Junket

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#121 gunstar808

gunstar808

Capitalism, Ho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

It was definitely cool having Justin on the show.

I started listening to the Joystiq pdocast a while ago based on Wombat's recommendations, and while I enjoy the show now, it did take me a while to warm up to Justin's voice. Voice aside tho, his commentary on games is really pretty good. The whole crossover thing really worked well.

Maybe a Giantbombcast guest in the future?

-

#122 DragonX2

DragonX2

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Strippers, Midgets and Duty.
Class act this week guys, Shipwreck can't leave two alone for a week?
But great show, u should have Justin as a 4th chair in more shows! :)

#123 Trenchalicious

Trenchalicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

Justin is just too damn annoying with his voice and laugh, otherwise a fine show.
1 CENT AUCTION STARTS: XBOX 360 & DS Game @ My ebay auctions!

#124 misterine

misterine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

This is how the show went

Cheapy talks
Wombat talks
justin HAHAHAHAhahAHAHA
cheapy talks
wombat talks
justin hahahahahahahaahha
then serious talk happens

#125 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

I never miss a CAGcast or a Joystiq podcast, so it was nice having the crossover of my two favorite weekly shows. I don't get all the hating on Justin's voice, but whatever. Dude's the funniest (and possibly nicest) guy in the world of videogame podcasting, and I'm thrilled that he's starting another podcast. MBMBAM is another must-listen for me.
Posted Image

#126 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Good show guys, Justin was a good guest and filled in nicely for Boat Crash. He did a great impression of him as well. Cheapy, have your wife clipper your back hair. There is no reason to be out in public with a Chia Pet farm on your back if you have a spouse or significant other. Hand her the clippers and say "clean me up honey".
Posted Image

Posted Image

#127 Drexnot

Drexnot

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

as for the podcast I've started listening since the last 10 or 11 podcasts ago, I gotta say the CAGcast is awesome it is well balanced and since I am now a staff member for a community, listening to the podcast have given me some tips or techniques (if you will) to CheapyD, Wombat and Shipwreck keep up the good work! "Good Job, Soldier!"

#128 xraytd

xraytd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

I have to disagree with Justin that reviewers don't need to mention the graphics since there are HD videos available. That would be like car reviewers not commenting on the car's looks because there are pics available.

#129 gamerboy1223

gamerboy1223

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:06 AM

great show guys but 2 times you guys have gotten my hopes up so high thinking i won a contest because my username begins with gamer and the past maybe 2 weeks you've announced contest winners beginning with gamer and while im doing dishes or hw i stop with excitement that i might be the chosen one to finally receive an awesome prize but then im sent back to reality when i find out it was just someone else. thanks guys

#130 dopa345

dopa345

All around nice guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:01 AM

Great show, really enjoyed Justin, he was a great guest with good insight into junkets and their potential influence in reviewers. The only thing that bugged me was that he could not pronounce endoscopy. It's "en-dos-co-pee."

#131 StriderNo9

StriderNo9

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

You guys came off very jealous with all the whining about Capcom and their press event. Cheapy I'm a big fan because you are real, but on this podcast you and Wombat came over very angry bitter that you didn't get an invite. The big "story" was NOT how much it cost or how the trip went, this is a gaming event. You have proven time and time again when you go to gaming events you do everything BUT care about the games being shown. That is fine for your site, since you aren't really a real news site, you do what you do well, but I'd be pretty pissed if Kotaku, or Giantbomb went and talked about their hotel more than the game. Good show overall, Justin seems like a cool guy.

#132 Jadam

Jadam

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

Been listening to the CAGcast for a few months now and decided to sign up. Great show as always, but I agree with some posts about Justin's voice being hard to listen to.

#133 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

A couple of notes on the Capcom event:

1) They had their sales meeting at the same time. Assuming it was a global meeting, then they would have had ~100 people flying in from Japan, Vancouver, San Francisco, London, etc...

2) A normal sales meeting of this magnitude costs ~$240,000 (http://www.meetingme.../calculator.htm)

3) The incremental cost to have this meeting in Hawaii probably wasn't that large, and it could have possibly even been cheaper than having it in San Francisco.

4) At least one journalist (Jeff G) said he had no free time at the event to enjoy Hawaii.

5) Sales meetings usually have full schedules from 8 AM to at least 9 PM, so there's not really any reason to be jealous of the Capcom sales force. After 9 PM a bar in Hawaii isn't that different from a bar in San Francisco.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#134 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

The thing about the Roger Ebert thing that bugged me was that he ad this same opinion a few years ago, so we already knew about that.

There are pretty much no 7-11s anywhere close to me while I could probably find a half-dozen GameStops I could reach in 30 minutes, so them getting into the used game market doesn't affect me at all.

I don't get Justin's claim that you need to spend those extra XBL points that Microsoft sold you rather than wait until it may pile up into a useful amount of points. If they didn't want to sell it to us in useful amounts, we didn't have to spend it just because there were points left over.

It's weird that people that didn't like Heavy Rain tend to act like everybody should feel the same way and those that disagree are factually wrong. I guess the other side also does the same thing, but this game being so divisive that it's created two opposing, elitist groups is weird. I don't think I've seen this kind of thing since Dead Rising where some didn't like it due to the limited saves/forced restart mechanic supposedly didn't get what those that enjoyed the game liked most about the game.

Decent show.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#135 Copper_City_Champ

Copper_City_Champ

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for having Justin on the show this week I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

P.S. I'm absolutely loving My Brother, My Brother, and Me!

#136 200STM

200STM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

This was a good podcast guys and Justin was a great guest I liked his discussion and opinion from the Capcom event. Ill be sure to follow him and check out his podcast and videos.

#137 Bucknut

Bucknut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

I thought this show was ok, Justins microphone sounded a bit busted, and his levels were inconsistent and most the time higher then everyone else so it got a bit annoying.

As for dexter cheapy, I just got done watching the first season and it was great. I dont remember him ever cutting into a body besides slashing people on the check thats about it. In the intro they zoom very close into him cutting a piece of ham, and that does look like flesh almost, but its him just cooking. You should definitely check it out.
Posted Image

#138 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

doodies+strippers+midget+religion+video games= great cagcast.

cheapy, you should at least watch a few episodes of dexter. it's great!

#139 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

It's weird that people that didn't like Heavy Rain tend to act like everybody should feel the same way and those that disagree are factually wrong. I guess the other side also does the same thing, but this game being so divisive that it's created two opposing, elitist groups is weird.

I didn't like Heavy Rain and am passionate about it because I wanted to like the game. I haven't been more disappointed in an entertainment experience outside of the Transformers 2 movie. It was made worse by the fact that the game was so engaging and showed so much potential in the first few hours.

I have no problem with people saying they love Heavy Rain as a game. There's a lot to like and if the story doesn't bother you I completely understand the love. It's when they defend the plot holes and laud the story as being mature thematically that I take issue. Having mature content is not the same as a mature theme. The story and theme are on par with a Saw movie or Phantasmagoria.
Posted Image

#140 Bucknut

Bucknut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

I haven't had a chance to listen to this one yet but I wanted to post a comment about the previous podcast, Toilet Crysis.

I thoroughly enjoy the addition of Shipwreck to the cast. He is a funny guy and most of the time he is very knowledgeable but I have to call him out on his comments about MLB 2k10.

He talked about how he loves the create-a-player mode and then someone asked him if the feature was also in The Show. He wasn't sure. Now I'm guessing Ship is not a baseball fan at all because if he was he would know that The Show INVENTED that feature and has had it in ebery iteration back to the PS2 days. 2K just instituted it and it can't hold a candle to that of The Show, let alone the entire game. Since he owns both a PS3 and 360 there is no reason for him to be wasting his time with 2k, except for maybe that he is scared to turn on his PS3.

I can only hope that he got 2K for free, which is probably the case.

Ship, check out The Show. You won't be disappointed.

And what is with all the Wombat hate. I think he's hilarious.

*Patiently awaits wombat to read this in his Nerd Rage voice on the next episode*
Posted Image

#141 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:47 AM

I didn't like Heavy Rain and am passionate about it because I wanted to like the game. I haven't been more disappointed in an entertainment experience outside of the Transformers 2 movie. It was made worse by the fact that the game was so engaging and showed so much potential in the first few hours.

I have no problem with people saying they love Heavy Rain as a game. There's a lot to like and if the story doesn't bother you I completely understand the love. It's when they defend the plot holes and laud the story as being mature thematically that I take issue. Having mature content is not the same as a mature theme. The story and theme are on par with a Saw movie or Phantasmagoria.

I think you missed the point of the post if you're telling me why you didn't like it.

I'm not challenging anybody's opinion, just saying there's no need to be a douche about it no matter what side of the fence you're on.

#142 MethodManFTW

MethodManFTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:12 AM

:O friskyyanuka gets a shout out on like every cagcast... just agree with him!! :P

wheres my new cagcast... need it! :D

#143 paintball745

paintball745

PHD in deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

:O friskyyanuka gets a shout out on like every cagcast... just agree with him!! :P

wheres my new cagcast... need it! :D

this is from cheapys twitter
"It's Golden Week time in Japan, which means CAGcast schedule is screwy. Look for the next show either on Friday or Monday."

#144 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

Well, it's quite tough to tell whether the $5000 was worth it. On one hand, Gizmodo is still getting publicity from late-comers like the Daily Show. On the other hand, police obtained a search warrant and raided the Gizmodo blogger's house, and supposedly Apple tracked down and paid a visit to the guy who sold the phone.
http://www.thedailys...0-ken-blackwell
http://gizmodo.com/5...-missing-iphone

Edited by Cao Cao, 29 April 2010 - 06:58 AM.

#145 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

I think you missed the point of the post if you're telling me why you didn't like it.

I didn't miss the point of your post. I explained why I was so passionate about my dislike and pointed out that most anti-Heavy Rain people I've encountered (including myself) do not question why other people like it. We question why they defend a story that is so obviously flawed. I should also add that David Cage comes off as a major douche. The man talked shit about the story of other games and then tried to defend a plot device as a MacGuffin but he completely misunderstood the meaning of the term.

You can love something and still admit to its flaws. Saints Row is one of my favorite games but I still realize that you could spend a full day pointing out all of the problems it has. If I tried to argue that the graphics were awesome or that there aren't any glitches I would be wrong. One's enjoyment of Saints Row comes from how much you enjoy its gameplay and how easily you can overlook its flaws.

Here's a perfect example of a comment from someone that loved Heavy Rain that illustrates what I'm talking about:

You know, I love Heavy Rain and even Indigo Prophecy, despite their obvious flaws, but David Cage seriously doesn't know what he's talking about.

He cuts on the game industry for having bad writing, overly cartoonish characters, and not being in the same league with the movie industry. So he makes games which he believes are brilliant, but they end up being even MORE stupid and ridiculous and badly written than what's already out there!

I get the sense that Cage doesn't even really play or know much about video games. Because if he did, he'd know that there is a lot of stuff out there and it isn't all Gears of War and Grand Theft Auto. There's so many game I've played that have better voice acting, plots, character development, and are more believable and reasonable than Heavy Rain. These games don't just suddenly forget about a major plot point, and put you in the shoes of the villain, and be able to LISTEN TO HIS THOUGHTS, yet he still apparently lies to himself and doesn't accidentally think "Hm, I need to murder a kid today" just because it made it easier to fit into the game.

Ugh. i shouldn't even really care, because I DO love Heavy Rain. But I just don't like people like Cage who are up their own asses and criticizes others, despite having enormous, huge, gaping problems of their own.

Posted Image

#146 Lord Jezo

Lord Jezo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

CheapyD when talking about Dexter: "I dont want to watch something where a guy is on a surgery table getting cut open with a scalpel. I'll just watch Robocop" (not exact words but close enough)

Man what?

Robocop 2: Scene with a fully conscious police officer on a table getting cut open with a scalpel.

#147 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

G4tv.com's video podcast finally talked about Deadly Premonition, naming it Game of the Week. How long ago was it you guys talked about that on the CAGcast?

#148 syd411

syd411

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

Holy crap the image of Cheapy's back hair seaweed/kelp infestation in the pool almost made me lose my lunch. As well as several lunches in the future.

#149 NutManIV

NutManIV

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Holy crap the image of Cheapy's back hair seaweed/kelp infestation in the pool almost made me lose my lunch. As well as several lunches in the future.

Wait...is there an actual image of this or did you mean the mental image?

Cuz if there's a picture I wanna see it.:applause:

#150 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:25 AM

I didn't miss the point of your post. I explained why I was so passionate about my dislike and pointed out that most anti-Heavy Rain people I've encountered (including myself) do not question why other people like it. We question why they defend a story that is so obviously flawed. I should also add that David Cage comes off as a major douche. The man talked shit about the story of other games and then tried to defend a plot device as a MacGuffin but he completely misunderstood the meaning of the term.

You can love something and still admit to its flaws. Saints Row is one of my favorite games but I still realize that you could spend a full day pointing out all of the problems it has. If I tried to argue that the graphics were awesome or that there aren't any glitches I would be wrong. One's enjoyment of Saints Row comes from how much you enjoy its gameplay and how easily you can overlook its flaws.

Here's a perfect example of a comment from someone that loved Heavy Rain that illustrates what I'm talking about:

I'm not saying that everybody that doesn't like it acts like a dick either, but that there are people in generally that do that about any game. As long as you're respectful of those that like it and aren't trying to convince them of why they should think it's a bad game, then I wasn't talking about you. There's no reason to treat an opinion like a fact that everybody has to accept as the final say and change their opinions accordingly or else they're morons.