Steam Weekend Deal (4-22) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare $14.99

Ooh, I might get this just for the single player campaign. I could mess around with the multi between BC2 sessions too.

If I've never plated a Modern Warfare game, is this worth my time, or should I skip straight to the (much-discussed) sequel?

Edit: And jeez, it took the thing this long to get down to $15? Mass Effect was $5 not too long ago...

Took long enough for this to get to a considerable price. Probably still won't bite, though; I'd only play the single player and I have enough games right now.

[quote name='MagicChicken']Hah! Saw this right after playing The Passing on L4D2.

Pretty good deal imo. How's the multiplayer in this one?[/QUOTE]

Has dedicated servers and is played a ton, IIRC.

According to Xfire stats, more people play this than MW2 using Xfire's MW stats compared to Steam's MW2 stats.

Bah, I own the game but the box is seperated from the CD case and CD. I need to find that...

Since when did they stop putting the CD key in booklets =/

Crap, and this month I promised myself I wouldn't spend any money. I already spent $15 on Force Unleashed, but it was because I had come upon some extra money.

But I have wanted to play the Modern Warfare games...

[quote name='mokmoof']If I've never plated a Modern Warfare game, is this worth my time, or should I skip straight to the (much-discussed) sequel?

Edit: And jeez, it took the thing this long to get down to $15? Mass Effect was $5 not too long ago...[/QUOTE]
It's worth your time. The single player campaign is really good, short, but worth the price. It has a really good story, and memorable characters for an FPS. And, for what it's worth, I think there are more people playing CoD4 multi than MW2 (and possibly BF:BC2).

MW2 has a lot more action and excitement, like you're playing through an action movie, but the story is disjointed, confusing, and at times preposterous. Every new mission jumps to a different character, with 6 in all, so I was often confused as to who I was, where I was, what I was doing there, and why. But it was edge-of-your-seat nonsensical excitement!

Personally, I enjoyed them both. The first has a great story, while the second is filled with action and excitement.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Bah, I own the game but the box is seperated from the CD case and CD. I need to find that...

Since when did they stop putting the CD key in booklets =/[/QUOTE]
The CD key is on the back of the CD case.

More PC people play CoD 4 because it has dedicated servers unlike MW2 which uses p2p like consoles. CoD 4 is a lot more fun with dedicated servers because server hosts can police their own servers, reduces lag, and can have up to 32 people playing on one map rather than the capped 18 on consoles and MW2 PC. Games are also usually longer as well so you can get 100 kills or more in one game.

Definitely worth it for $15.

Better than MW2 on PC?

I used to own MW on 360 ... loved it, but sold it in anticipation of MW2 (because obviously the sequel was going to be better :cry: ) ... didn't love MW2, sold it ...

So is it worth picking up again for PC?

[quote name='timobkg']It's worth your time. The single player campaign is really good, short, but worth the price. It has a really good story, and memorable characters for an FPS. And, for what it's worth, I think there are more people playing CoD4 multi than MW2 (and possibly BF:BC2).

MW2 has a lot more action and excitement, like you're playing through an action movie, but the story is disjointed, confusing, and at times preposterous. Every new mission jumps to a different character, with 6 in all, so I was often confused as to who I was, where I was, what I was doing there, and why. But it was edge-of-your-seat nonsensical excitement!

Personally, I enjoyed them both. The first has a great story, while the second is filled with action and excitement.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the mini-review! I am now strongly considering a purchase. Only my backlog might stop me.

[quote name='etcrane']Better than MW2 on PC?

I used to own MW on 360 ... loved it, but sold it in anticipation of MW2 (because obviously the sequel was going to be better :cry: ) ... didn't love MW2, sold it ...

So is it worth picking up again for PC?[/QUOTE]
If you want to play it again, yeah. PC version didn't have any issues, had dedicated servers, got all the map packs for free, and was generally a good game. Since you already know your thoughts on the game for 360 then barring your computer not having enough grunt to run it well (Kinda unlikely, I seem to remember it scaling well) PC version was/is good.

I think this is a bit of a fuck you to the MW2 map pack coming up. "Hey, why buy a MW2 map pack for $15 which has two MW1 maps in it when you can just buy MW1 for $15".

If you want to play this online, keep in mind...

Punkbuster + Steam Overlay == No Go

First of all, annoying as hell setting up Punkbuster correctly (gotta do some manual updates of the Punkbuster files cause of UAC, it's all in the Steam forums).

Second, even after it's all setup, you need to disable Steam Overlay to play this game otherwise Punkbuster will kick you (Steam blames Punkbuster and Punkbuster said they won't fix it). No overlay, means no Steam Friend IMing.

Single player was fun though, short-ish though. I took it pretty slow the first time I played it, done in 6 hours.

[quote name='Spooon69']If you want to play this online, keep in mind...

Punkbuster + Steam Overlay == No Go

First of all, annoying as hell setting up Punkbuster correctly (gotta do some manual updates of the Punkbuster files cause of UAC, it's all in the Steam forums).

Second, even after it's all setup, you need to disable Steam Overlay to play this game otherwise Punkbuster will kick you (Steam blames Punkbuster and Punkbuster said they won't fix it). No overlay, means no Steam Friend IMing.

Single player was fun though, short-ish though. I took it pretty slow the first time I played it, done in 6 hours.[/QUOTE]
Oh god that kills the temptation I had to re-buy this for Steam. They did this (Punkbuster kicking you due to Steam overlay) in Battlefield 2 as well which enrages the shit out of me.

[quote name='Scorch']Anyone know when this goes off sale? I'm afraid that I'll forget to purchase this.[/QUOTE]

Sunday night/Monday morning.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I have BF Bad Company 2 on Steam and have not had an single issue with Punkbuster and the overlay[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you weren't born at night.

Steam overlay fucks with PB? Maybe that's why PB kept kicking me with CoD WaW. I could never figure out WTF it was that was causing it, but maybe now I know...........

[quote name='CountChoculitis']More PC people play CoD 4 because it has dedicated servers unlike MW2 which uses p2p like consoles. CoD 4 is a lot more fun with dedicated servers because server hosts can police their own servers, reduces lag, and can have up to 32 people playing on one map rather than the capped 18 on consoles and MW2 PC. Games are also usually longer as well so you can get 100 kills or more in one game.

Definitely worth it for $15.[/QUOTE]

you know, i still prefer dedicated servers but i can definitely see the benefit to IWnet. Being able to just jump in and play is kinda nice. It just has issues that will most likely never get solved and thats what breaks it. No ability to vote kick/ban is its biggest fault.

[quote name='mokmoof']If I've never plated a Modern Warfare game, is this worth my time, or should I skip straight to the (much-discussed) sequel?

Edit: And jeez, it took the thing this long to get down to $15? Mass Effect was $5 not too long ago...[/QUOTE]

The single player is just as goon as the sequel (and the storyline is actually believable and makes sense). The multiplayer is just as garbage as MW2. Dedicated servers or not, the actual game sucks in multiplayer (especially if you've had the experience to spoil yourself silly on the incredible gameplay of PC Bad Company 2).

I hadn't thought about the ability to mod MW, so take the above posts into your consideration. I'd buy MW for $15 just off the single player. If you are a multi-player freak, your mileage (and tolerance for mind numbing gameplay) may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already have the retail version, but perhaps I could sell it off and get it on Steam....

I think I might have missed out on the good 'ol days of MW1 MP that everybody seems to remember. By the time I got it, every single game I entered had an insane amount of aimbotters. Even the PB games. What was worse, people would ask where to get them and the aimbotters would tell them! After about 2 hours of getting headshotted with LMGs from across the map, I was so pissed off I never played again. I'm thinking I just had really bad luck, but I don't see myself ever playing MW1 MP again. SP is awesome though.

Definitely worth $15 for you fence-sitters. The singleplayer game alone is worth that and it has an unlockable arcade-mode as a bonus. The multiplayer game was terrific in its day and still is provided you find a server that is well-admined. Free SDK and DLC just top it all off.

If you haven't played this and were ever on the fence about trying it out, then this is the deal you should jump on. Still one of my favorite MP games evar, and tons of good user created maps thanks to dedicated servers. Only one caveat is that you'd be giving ANY money to Smacktivision. But since it's probably inevitable anyway, that point is moot.

The epilogue scene in the jet blew me away!

[quote name='Rirse']I love how the new DLC pack for MW2 is more expensive then MW1 by two bucks. Great deal by the way.[/QUOTE]
I was just about to point that out.

MW > MW2 stimpack.

Went ahead and bit ... I've been wanting to grab this again and actually picked up the PS3 version during the GS gamedays sale ... only to return it when I learned the new 'GOTY' packs don't include the map pack (wtf). So this is $5 cheaper, will look better, and that SW mod look sick ... so yeah, seems like a good buy, thanks!

bread's done
Back