Steam Weekend Deal (4-22) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare $14.99

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 JUDOHAWK

JUDOHAWK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

Steam overlay fucks with PB? Maybe that's why PB kept kicking me with CoD WaW. I could never figure out WTF it was that was causing it, but maybe now I know...........

#32 TehKyosho

TehKyosho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

the steam ui beta has an option to disable the overlay for individual games

#33 qwerty1

qwerty1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

More PC people play CoD 4 because it has dedicated servers unlike MW2 which uses p2p like consoles. CoD 4 is a lot more fun with dedicated servers because server hosts can police their own servers, reduces lag, and can have up to 32 people playing on one map rather than the capped 18 on consoles and MW2 PC. Games are also usually longer as well so you can get 100 kills or more in one game.

Definitely worth it for $15.

you know, i still prefer dedicated servers but i can definitely see the benefit to IWnet. Being able to just jump in and play is kinda nice. It just has issues that will most likely never get solved and thats what breaks it. No ability to vote kick/ban is its biggest fault.

#34 TheVandit

TheVandit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

If I've never plated a Modern Warfare game, is this worth my time, or should I skip straight to the (much-discussed) sequel?

Edit: And jeez, it took the thing this long to get down to $15? Mass Effect was $5 not too long ago...

The single player is just as goon as the sequel (and the storyline is actually believable and makes sense). The multiplayer is just as garbage as MW2. Dedicated servers or not, the actual game sucks in multiplayer (especially if you've had the experience to spoil yourself silly on the incredible gameplay of PC Bad Company 2).

I hadn't thought about the ability to mod MW, so take the above posts into your consideration. I'd buy MW for $15 just off the single player. If you are a multi-player freak, your mileage (and tolerance for mind numbing gameplay) may vary.

Edited by TheVandit, 23 April 2010 - 07:11 AM.
spelling, grammer.

#35 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

Already have the retail version, but perhaps I could sell it off and get it on Steam....

I think I might have missed out on the good 'ol days of MW1 MP that everybody seems to remember. By the time I got it, every single game I entered had an insane amount of aimbotters. Even the PB games. What was worse, people would ask where to get them and the aimbotters would tell them! After about 2 hours of getting headshotted with LMGs from across the map, I was so pissed off I never played again. I'm thinking I just had really bad luck, but I don't see myself ever playing MW1 MP again. SP is awesome though.

#36 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Definitely worth $15 for you fence-sitters. The singleplayer game alone is worth that and it has an unlockable arcade-mode as a bonus. The multiplayer game was terrific in its day and still is provided you find a server that is well-admined. Free SDK and DLC just top it all off.

#37 RuzzT

RuzzT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

If you haven't played this and were ever on the fence about trying it out, then this is the deal you should jump on. Still one of my favorite MP games evar, and tons of good user created maps thanks to dedicated servers. Only one caveat is that you'd be giving ANY money to Smacktivision. But since it's probably inevitable anyway, that point is moot.

The epilogue scene in the jet blew me away!

#38 Rirse

Rirse

The Death of Grammar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

I love how the new DLC pack for MW2 is more expensive then MW1 by two bucks. Great deal by the way.

#39 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:30 AM

I love how the new DLC pack for MW2 is more expensive then MW1 by two bucks. Great deal by the way.

I was just about to point that out.

MW > MW2 stimpack.

#40 ItsaMeMario

ItsaMeMario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

hm... is this still worth playing on an underpowered PC?

I have a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4, a 7600gt and 2 gigs of ram

#41 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

Went ahead and bit ... I've been wanting to grab this again and actually picked up the PS3 version during the GS gamedays sale ... only to return it when I learned the new 'GOTY' packs don't include the map pack (wtf). So this is $5 cheaper, will look better, and that SW mod look sick ... so yeah, seems like a good buy, thanks!