Photo
- - - - -

Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill

• Please log in to reply
1189 replies to this topic

#31 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

So long as they did it to absolutely everyone i guess that could work somewhat, but we all know they aren't doing that.

I enjoy the videos and puns posted by Joliet Jake. I think he's almost as funny as my favorite comedian, Dane Cook. Now excuse me while I listen to Fallout Boy's music on their myspace page.

#32 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

"Can I see your drivers license?"

"Here ya go."

"Thanks, have a good day."

Except for the fact that proof of citizenship can only be verified by a birth certificate or passport.

Given that the police can now impound cars found to be harboring non-American citizens, how easy do you think it will be for a latino to get a cab in Arizona?

#33 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

I wonder if this law applies to the illegal Canadians in our state.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#34 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

We know what illegal Mexicans look like. What do illegal Canadians look like?
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#35 vic_x51

vic_x51

World Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

....this will encourage (edit:stronger) racial profiling, mainly if not exclusively to Hispanics.

#36 manthing

manthing

etc, etc, etc, etc,

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

I wonder if this law applies to the illegal Canadians in our state.

Only if they look like a Subesh or Kumar.
dont hate the player or the game just hate your salf

#37 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

We know what illegal Mexicans look like. What do illegal Canadians look like?

Lumberjacks and mounties, duh. But as the Canadians are a deceptive people it's not wise to try to out them by appearance alone. Canadians are masters of disguise, so the real way to catch an illegal Canadian is to listen for the "aboot."

Posted Image

#38 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:00 AM

What do illegal Canadians look like?

Pallid.
Posted Image

#39 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

Hey, trolls in Arizona! Got someone you hate? Get an illegal immigrant to squat in their car! Bend the law to your own personal malevolent whims!

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#40 hhhdx4

hhhdx4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:20 AM

"Here ya go."

It's pretty much like buying cigarettes.
Posted Image

#41 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

I can see it now; local farmer upset because workers never showed up to plant, pick, and sell his crops.
On another subject numerous vans full of brown looking people were stopped and held for questioning about their country of origin.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#42 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

On another subject numerous vans full of brown looking people were stopped and held for questioning about their country of origin.

Great.

Now I can't get the image of police patrolling for illegal Mazdas, Nissans, and and Mitsubishis out of my head.

Posted Image

#43 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

"Here ya go."

That's fine. If you're driving a vehicle.

If you're not operating a motor vehicle, there's no reason for an individual to have to produce their Driver's License.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#44 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

That's fine. If you're driving a vehicle.

If you're not operating a motor vehicle, there's no reason for an individual to have to produce their Driver's License.

State issued ID?

Any form of photo identification, but that doesn't really count for citizenship unless maybe a passport.

Seems to be the only solution is either A) State mandated IDs B) Citizenship IDs

#45 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

This is what happens when the Federal Government completely ignores one of the top 5 political issues to most Americans for more than a decade.

#46 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

This is what happens when the Federal Government completely ignores one of the top 5 political issues to most Americans for more than a decade.

100% agree. even though, as i said earlier, i think this law is too broad, congress and the white house havent touched this issue. ask anyone in california, arizona, new mexico and texas to name their biggest concerns for the state and illegal immigration is going to pop up every single time. if anything, hopefully this will spur congress to pass some common sense immigration reform. or ya know, at least enforce existing laws.

Posted Image

#47 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

Yeah I am not sure this bill AZ passed is the answer, or if it will help their problem - but at the very least it will, perhaps, wake up Congress and force them to address the one important issue that may not help their reelections.

#48 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

State issued ID?

Any form of photo identification, but that doesn't really count for citizenship unless maybe a passport.

Seems to be the only solution is either A) State mandated IDs B) Citizenship IDs

Yea, that's the problem. State IDs don't confer citizenship status.

I don't really grief Arizona for wanting to do something about this issue that seems to be such a big deal for them (we in Texas don't really give a shit, at least here in sanctuary city Houston). But the cure is going to cost the state millions in litigation and they're going to lose badly and the worst part is they know it.
Posted Image

#49 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

State issued ID?

So what about children? When was the last time you've seen someone that is 16 or younger carrying around a state id? More importantly, would you trust them to have them all the time?

Speed, hell even Birth Certificates don't confer citizenship all the time. I may be related to illegal immigrants but I still refuse to admit that two illegals having a kid in America = American citizen.

Edited by cindersphere, 26 April 2010 - 04:41 PM.

Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#50 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Yea, that's the problem. State IDs don't confer citizenship status.

I don't really grief Arizona for wanting to do something about this issue that seems to be such a big deal for them (we in Texas don't really give a shit, at least here in sanctuary city Houston). But the cure is going to cost the state millions in litigation and they're going to lose badly and the worst part is they know it.

I agree. It's not really a State issue and only got that far because they've been sitting on the problem.

So what about children? When was the last time you've seen someone that is 16 or younger carrying around a state id? More importantly, would you trust them to have them all the time?

Yes, they too would get IDs, that would also help a bunch of other issues too if valid IDs can be found.

Simply do what people do when they lose their driver's, pay the insane $35 reissue. Get kids to get on their phones to call their parents... to validate ID.

It's not the problem of replacing it, it's the problem of initially getting one. Once you're in, you're fine. Police can look you up.

I doubt Police are targeting kids. We're not having an illegal kid problem.... it's illegal adults.

I would say the easiest is the "new" SSN card... State issued cards really won't work, unless Federal cards don't get passed somehow, and states are forced to.

I really have no problem carrying an ID, and I don't see how anyone else would either. Any issues? Anyone?

#51 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

Yes, they too would get IDs, that would also help a bunch of other issues too if valid IDs can be found.

Simply do what people do when they lose their driver's, pay the insane $35 reissue. Get kids to get on their phones to call their parents... to validate ID.

It's not the problem of replacing it, it's the problem of initially getting one. Once you're in, you're fine. Police can look you up.

I doubt Police are targeting kids. We're not having an illegal kid problem.... it's illegal adults.

I would say the easiest is the "new" SSN card... State issued cards really won't work, unless Federal cards don't get passed somehow, and states are forced to.

I really have no problem carrying an ID, and I don't see how anyone else would either. Any issues? Anyone?

I don't really have a problem with it myself, as long as everyone is getting checked all of the time. I mean everyone too. While we're at it, I want people to be checked for outstanding warrants and past due tax bills if we're going to say it's about crime and money.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#52 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

Don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said. Just a stupid, stupid bill.

Will just lead to more racial profiling of hispanics. Reasonable suspicion--the requirement to make a stop--is vague already. Even more so when you add illegall immigration as a possible reason for a stop etc.

Making illegal immigration a state crime is dumb as well. The CJ system is already incredibly overwhelmed and over crowded at every step.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#53 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

I agree. It's not really a State issue and only got that far because they've been sitting on the problem.

Kids already get targeted to disclose immigration status. This will just give immigration happy schools authority to try to glean immigration information from their parents when they enter their kids into schools. Little johnny doesn't have a official id card yet, lets call the INS office and report the family because he could be an illegal immigrant.

#54 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

I guess I am curious for realz (though my post was mostly for lulz) if the bill applies to other types of immigrants. If we hear an "aboot" can they ask to see their papers? I can't imagine the bill is specifically only for one type of immigrant, but I just can't get the hillarious mental picture out of my head of a cop asking for a Canadian's papers. Well, the mental picture of a cop doing it for a Mexican is funny too, but you know what I mean.

#55 fatherofcaitlyn

fatherofcaitlyn

Der Uber Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

We like Canadians.
Synergize, bitches!
Posted Image

#56 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

Celine Dion.

I enjoy the videos and puns posted by Joliet Jake. I think he's almost as funny as my favorite comedian, Dane Cook. Now excuse me while I listen to Fallout Boy's music on their myspace page.

#57 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

Pamela Anderson :)

#58 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Norm MacDonald.

#59 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

The only part I'm opposed to is that citizens can sue their local government if they don't think immigration laws are being upheld. There are going to be a lot of assholes out there that will be suing the mayor every week. I actually think it's a solid idea. I've never understood the viewpoint that as a nation, we should allow illegal immigration. If we're tacitly supporting it, is it still illegal?

#60 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Kids already get targeted to disclose immigration status. This will just give immigration happy schools authority to try to glean immigration information from their parents when they enter their kids into schools. Little johnny doesn't have a official id card yet, lets call the INS office and report the family because he could be an illegal immigrant.

Should it be up to the school? it is funded by the big G and well they really shouldn't be here....

If the parents came here illegally, and birthed a child that would be US born, they have 3 options.

1) get out, with kid.
2) get out, kid becomes an orphan
3) somehow by magic, they'll go through the process to not be illegal.

I am kinda on the fence. If you're here illegally, you really don't get my mercy but if it's that difficult, which I know, I sponsored someone, that process should be a bit easier.

Little Johnny is at the mercy of bad parents. If they somehow went to a private school, then the school wouldn't care.

I would think that for any government services that's need, proper ID is requried... welfare, section 8, SS, blah blah blah. We already passed that in this state.

Illegal is still illegal.