Doctor Who: The Complete Specials on Blu-ray for under $40?

Are you really being picky over $2-$3 with a $40 purchase? I'd go for it at that, but maybe you have a strict budget that those mere dollars go over.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Are you really being picky over $2-$3 with a $40 purchase? I'd go for it at that, but maybe you have a strict budget that those mere dollars go over.[/QUOTE]

Well, by under $40, I was hoping for more around $35 or so. It's $58.xx at Borders last I checked. Waiting for a 40% off coupon which would bring it down to about $35.xx plus tax. And yes, every dollar counts these days :).

[quote name='Burchamj']just started watching Dr. Who on netflix wouldnt mind a cheap sales on the seasons..[/QUOTE]

Good luck, it doesn't happen very often. And when it does it's not much of a sale.

I've heard success stories of people buying them from Amazon.co.uk for cheap but you also need a region free DVD player

[quote name='CombatCraig']Good luck, it doesn't happen very often. And when it does it's not much of a sale.

I've heard success stories of people buying them from Amazon.co.uk for cheap but you also need a region free DVD player[/QUOTE]

Looking for Blu-ray so UK stuff is hit or miss unfortunately.

I would love to pick this one too. After watching all 4 seasons on DVD, I've got to say this is the best sci-fi I've seen in years. This is from someone who doesn't normally watch anything outside of the U.S. when it comes to TV series so it really blew me away how good the Doctor Who series is. I'm hoping the price comes down a bit though because $20 is about the most I'm willing to pay for a Blu-ray nowadays.

[quote name='consoleman']I'm hoping the price comes down a bit though because $20 is about the most I'm willing to pay for a Blu-ray nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that it is five discs and over five hours of programming (not including the bonus content). So looking at the cost of it comparable to what you're willing to pay for a regular single-disc, under-two-hour movie doesn't really make sense. If you're waiting for $20 or under for this one, you're probably going to be waiting for a long time (especially because BBC titles don't generally drop like that).

[quote name='arcane93']Keep in mind that it is five discs and over five hours of programming (not including the bonus content). So looking at the cost of it comparable to what you're willing to pay for a regular single-disc, under-two-hour movie doesn't really make sense. If you're waiting for $20 or under for this one, you're probably going to be waiting for a long time (especially because BBC titles don't generally drop like that).[/QUOTE]

You're right. I wasn't aware it was 5-discs. I thought they would manage to fit the 5 specials on a single disc on Bluray at least.

As for BBC titles, I thought they lowered the first season of Torchwood to $25 or $30 a few months ago. Who knows, they might have a similar, short-lived deal on Amazon for this in the same price range?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='consoleman']You're right. I wasn't aware it was 5-discs. I thought they would manage to fit the 5 specials on a single disc on Bluray at least.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know why they made this five discs. It really should have been two or three at most (it would have been pushing it to fit all five specials and the bonus content on a single disc). I would assume it's because they had already released the specials individually, and it was easier for them to just package the discs together than it would have been to master new discs. Or maybe because discs are cheap to make, but the more of them there are in the package, the more they can charge. Who knows.

[quote name='consoleman']As for BBC titles, I thought they lowered the first season of Torchwood to $25 or $30 a few months ago. Who knows, they might have a similar, short-lived deal on Amazon for this in the same price range?[/QUOTE]

You might be thinking of Children of Earth (last year's Torchwood mini-series). It came out at a less expensive price point initially (MSRP $34.99), so it has been discounted to under $25. The cheapest that I've seen season one selling for has been around $50 -- I got it for $36 from Barnes and Noble, but only after using a coupon and my member discount on top of a sale price.

Crazy me. It turned out it was Tru Blood Season 1 on Bluray that fell to the $25-$30 pricepoint. How I got a HBO series mixed up with this one is kind of funny. You're right, I don't think any BBC series ever dropped that low.

bread's done
Back