I need advice about buying/selling video game stuff (Xbox 360 woes)

JOHNNEY5

CAG Veteran
I've got a problem. I got RROD, bought a new 360, then decided to repair my old one. My friend got RROD, sent his to Microsoft, they sent it back, and he got RROD again. I told him I could help him fix it (because he didn't want to wait for the Microsoft Team to fix it).

Needless to say both of our RROD boxes went back to their fail state (I'm holding onto it for him.) Now, my working 360 is starting to freeze up / make funny sounds. I forgot to mention I also bought a refurb 360 for my friend which now has a burned out DVD drive.

The short story: I have 3 broken 360's and 1 that is not working perfectly.

The problem is I don't have the money to buy brand new Xbox 360's for my friend and I.

I'm probably going to put the 3 very broken one's on ebay and trade the working one (which is scaring me at this point) in at Gamestop or somewhere similar.

To get the maximum amount of cash back, I'm going to trade some other stuff in as well. I'm wondering, how much $ does everyone suspect I will get for the following:

1 Xbox 360 arcade (with faceplate, wireless controller)
1 Nintendo DSi
360 Games:
  1. Guitar Hero World Tour
  2. Halo 3 (campaign disc)
  3. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
  4. Mass Effect
  5. Sega Superstar Tennis
  6. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  7. Devil May Cry 4
  8. Fuzion Frenzy 2
  9. The Orange Box
  10. GTA 4
  11. Crackdown
  12. Splinter Cell Double Agent
  13. NBA Live '07
  14. Guitar Hero 3
  15. Saints Row
  16. Saints Row 2
  17. Hitman Blood Money
  18. Kane & Lynch Dead Men
  19. Tony Hawk Project 8
  20. Tony Hawk Proving Ground
  21. Tenchu Z
  22. Xbox Live Arcade disc
  23. Viva Pinata
  24. Elder Scrolls Oblivion
  25. Halo 3 Multiplayer Disc
  26. Mirrors Edge
  27. Condemned Criminal Origins

1 Guitar Hero Wireless Guitar
1 Additional Xbox 360 Controller Wireless
1 Xbox Live Vision Camera
2 Nintendo Wiimotes
3 Nintendo Wii Nunchucks

Also, does anyone think I should just get a PS3? I am a huge Halo fan so I pretty much want to play Halo:Reach very very badly... almost enough to not even consider the PS3, i'm just sick of buying Xbox 360s!

Note: I'm probably going to sell the broken 360's on eBay, but I'd prefer NOT to sell any of the games/accessories ect. over eBay despite the fact that I might get more money on eBay. And I do have an edge card. Any rough estimates for those things are appreciated.

Any advice is appreciated too! Thanks in advance.
-J5

You might be able to make a decent amount selling those games on Glyde.com rather than trading them in at Gamestop.

I know you said you don't want to sell them on Ebay, so maybe you'd be uninterested in Glyde as well, but it's actually a pretty good site for selling on and they also pay for the shipping. They mail you a prepaid envelope after your game sells and you simply put it in and give it to your postman.

There's also a thread on here listing all the amounts for trade-in credit you'll get for the games. Just a random guessing average though I'd say around 25-30 maybe in store credit. As for the DSi and Xbox 360 maybe around 110-130 for those two. I think there's a promotion going on for trading in consoles right now, not sure if it still is though.

But yea I'd say your best bet for the games, and the way to get the most for them, would be Glyde.

Edit: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255178 Here's the link with all the GameStop credit info.

how do you break so many@@. you could try to be awsome and trade 3 broken and 1 bad condition for 1 good condition :D.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to call Gamestop in the afternoon and see if they are still doing the bonus 50% extra trade in credit (if so I'm hoping for maybe $45 for the games).

If not i'll check out Glyde, it sounds pretty sweet.

[quote name='An J0e']how do you break so many@@. you could try to be awsome and trade 3 broken and 1 bad condition for 1 good condition :D.[/QUOTE]

Definitely ask Microsoft for me, I'm wondering the same thing.

So I guess the 3 broken consoles are out of warrenty/have voided warrenty?

If thats true your in the same boat I am. I have a working 360 and an old out of warrenty RROD console that I don't know what to do with.

I would sell the games, not to gamestop though, like crr mentioned glyde. I just checked out glyde today and it looks like you can get good money for your games way better than gamestop. I'd estimate you could get $100+ for the games on glyde. The $50 bonus deal on trading in consoles sadly ended a day or two ago but if your real worried about your current 360 breaking and its out of warranty id see what gamestop would give you. Finally you could use the money you got from selling the games/ds and xbox to send in two of your broke consoles to Microsoft for repair/refurb exchange. Which would cost you $99 each and take around a month.

Or you could try to do what i'm doing. Call customer support everyday and try to get them to accept your out of warranty broken xbox and give you a free repair. But so far that has proven unsuccessful and frustrating as hell. Don't buy a ps3...reach, crackdown 2, gears of war 3, & what other games that Microsoft ends up finagling an exclusivity deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if you don't mind going the Craigslist route and if there are people in your area looking for them, you can sometimes sell broken 360 consoles on there for around $50-$75. Around here people are always looking for them since they fix them and then sell them back off in working order for double the price.

Would save you the hassle of Ebay fees and shipping costs.

[quote name='Ltor']your real worried about your current 360 breaking and its out of warranty id see what gamestop would give you.[/QUOTE]

Most definitely.

Ltor, from what I understood, the RROD would be repaired by Microsoft for life. I suppose maybe they think that newer models are less likely to get RROD but who knows.

Problem is the only 360 of mine that does have the warranty sticker intact is the one with a dvd drive problem which means they would charge me at least $50 usd.

[quote name='Ltor']reach, crackdown 2, gears of war 3, & what other games[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JOHNNEY5']Most definitely.
Problem is the only 360 of mine that does have the warranty sticker intact is the one with a dvd drive problem which means they would charge me at least $50 usd.
.[/QUOTE]

Well, if one of your xbox's that are missing warranty stickers are still under warranty you could always remove the sticker from your current xbox and put it on one of the broken ones. You could then send one of those back for free and then still probably sell the working one to gamestop as i don' believe they check for that sticker. I know I've seen a tutorial o how to remove the sticker without breaking it by using a blowdryer so just search for it on youtube.

Ltor, it could work but i'm just going to list them on ebay to save a headache.

Traded everything in the above list for at least $300 store credit for anyone who is / was curious.

Yes I'm going to miss my DSi but I need REACH!

Monday, May 3, 2010

2 Days
21 Hours
29 Minutes
And 34 seconds...

Should have my console either on time for the beta or I might miss a few days but I can wait!

bread's done
Back