Bungie and Activision announce exclusive 10 year partnership

ananag112

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
BUNGIE AND ACTIVISION ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE PARTNERSHIP

10-Year Alliance Expands Global Reach for Leading Game Developer Across Multiple Platforms

Kirkland, WA and Santa Monica, CA – April 29, 2010 -- Bungie, the developer of blockbuster game franchises including Halo, Myth and Marathon, and Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, the #1 online games publisher (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that they have entered into an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie’s next big action game universe to market. Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The groundbreaking alliance will provide Bungie its first such partnership since splitting off from Microsoft in 2007, significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices.

Activision will broaden its portfolio with a new franchise from one of the industry’s most creative, successful and proven studios, whose games have sold more than 25 million units worldwide. To date, Bungie’s Halo games have generated approximately $1.5 billion in revenues, according to The NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK. Activision expects this agreement to be accretive to its operating margins as of the release of the first game.

“We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise,” said Harold Ryan, President of Bungie. “From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences.”

“Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade,” stated Thomas Tippl, Chief Operating Officer of Activision Blizzard. “Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry’s best creative talent. Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities.”

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=25920

CryingIndian.jpg

You know, I always sorta thought this might happen. But it still sucks. 10 years is quite a while. It's not even a specific game deal. It's a 'we own your asses for 10 years deal'. And given Activision's history with developers, this is not good news for them. You can say all you want about 'Bungie owns their IP, they're still indepdent, yada yada yada'; but keep in mind this is Activision. This company is about to close its' most profitable developer.

I love this gen. Never has there been so much drama and sillyness. I think the only people who are really upset about this are the microsoft brotheren, i mean this means more people get to play bungies next game, and now thats a bad thing amirite? Of course i'd be equally pissed if sony lost say Naughty Dog, but that isnt happening.

At this point, i am hoping the rumors of microsoft dropping the Xbox name from the 360 slim becomes true and that they re-launch the system under the 360 brand, with natal to try and steal some of that wii audience. It would be so epic to see unfold.

[quote name='blitz6speed']I love this gen. Never has there been so much drama and sillyness. I think the only people who are really upset about this are the microsoft brotheren, i mean this means more people get to play bungies next game, and now thats a bad thing amirite? Of course i'd be equally pissed if sony lost say Naughty Dog, but that isnt happening. [/QUOTE]

I think most people are upset because they are joining Activision; not because they will be making games for multiple platforms.

I can see where this is going...

"Bungie employees leave over unpaid royalties, Activision announces 3 new Halo games for 2011"

How is bungie under ms different from IW? They are force to work on more halo, with ms milking the series with halo war, halo mmorpg

Isn't this just a publishing deal? It's not like Activision have bought Bungie.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal, I'd imagine Bungie are clever enough to have said "Don't fuck us over like IW". I believe Bungie will retain IP on anything they produce.

[quote name='benjamouth']Isn't this just a publishing deal? It's not like Activision have bought Bungie.

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal, I'd imagine Bungie are clever enough to have said "Don't fuck us over like IW". I believe Bungie will retain IP on anything they produce.[/QUOTE]

I am sure thats what IW thought when they created Modern Warfare

[quote name='62t']I am sure thats what IW thought when they created Modern Warfare[/QUOTE]

Yeah but didn't IW sell out to Activision? Bungie aren't owned by Activision from what I can see.
I could be wrong.

Ah well, at the end of the day of the games are decent then I don't really care, the last few Halo games weren't that great, they could do with some new IP.

Bungie just sold their soul to the Devil. And not like the cool Robot Devil from Futurama, but like Bobby Kotick.. ya know the real devil.

This is just crazy...

[quote name='62t']Yea MS still own Halo. I am guessing they will let other developer keep making Halo games[/QUOTE]
They already have a new studio for Halo games.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'd lol if Bungie works on a new CoD and MS hires Respawn to make the next Halo.[/QUOTE]

Would be fitting given how many people jump around in MW2 like they're playing Halo!

halocraft of duty post modern futuristic warfare? who actually owns the halo ip is it bungie or microsoft? thatd be funny if halo ended up as a cross console game but im sure microsoft still owns halo. although they could probably bring back their marathon series.

my only concern is with activision influence on bungie. I would have rather seen them be independent.

This really isn't a big deal. It is a pretty simple publishing deal.....at this point at least. Activision will simply publish games developed by Bungie but Bungie will still be choosing its own projects. Based on what I've read of the deal, Activision will have virtually no input into title Bungie developers or the timeframe that they develope those titles in. When Bungie has a completed game, they turn it over to Activision and then it gets marketed to the public and published.

The only thing this deal really means is that Bungie will definately NOT be an exclusive developer for any platform. With Activision publishing, their games will be on every platform on the planet.

YAY, I can't wait for a new Halo game every year! Halo Underground will be the best I can't wait to get out of the armor and walk around talking to Bam Margera!

"Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property"

I wonder how long until someone at Bungie tells them to go eat a dick and the lawsuits fly.

Who cares? Bungie sucks and so does Activision. Neither have decent games, let them rot together for all I care. Maybe once they look past the flood of cookie cutter FPS's they'll have a mild chance to succeed.

[quote name='DPsx7']Who cares? Bungie sucks and so does Activision. Neither have decent games, let them rot together for all I care. Maybe once they look past the flood of cookie cutter FPS's they'll have a mild chance to succeed.[/QUOTE]

lol man, all activision and bungie have EVER made is FPS. FPS, man, cookie cutter, generic, cliche, cliche, cliche,cliche

please stop trolling the cag forums.

There will be NO halo games under this deal - microsoft owns that IP. Whatever they're doing, it's brand new. Bungie has done RPGs, RTS games, and third person action games. Halo just happened to be their hit. BUT OMG IT'S FPS COOKIE CUTTER DURRRRRRRRGG JAPAN

[quote name='DPsx7']Who cares? Bungie sucks and so does Activision. Neither have decent games, let them rot together for all I care. Maybe once they look past the flood of cookie cutter FPS's they'll have a mild chance to succeed.[/QUOTE]

i c whut u did ther

[quote name='jer7583']lol man, all activision and bungie have EVER made is FPS. FPS, man, cookie cutter, generic, cliche, cliche, cliche,cliche[/quote]
Off the top of my head I can think of four franchises Bungie has worked on over the years, and only two of them were FPS. I actually assume whatever they're making won't be a FPS, or at least not primarily a FPS.

[quote name='pete5883']this is so awesome. Bungie is like a woman getting married to the guy who's currently on trial for domestic abuse.[/quote]

lmao!

bread's done
Back