Backlog CAG Playthrough #1- Tales of the Abyss- Week 2

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 Dormin

Dormin

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

man I would love to join a group like this I will check back every now and then when you guys finish up this one.

Kamagii.png

#32 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Man the newer Tales game are a lot longer. I finished about a third of Tales of Destiny 2 (Japanese PS2) in 10 hours, and thats talking to every town person, watching every skit, doing all aside quest, and getting lost in a maze. I think it will take around 20 hours to hit the 1/3 mark in Abyss

Edited by 62t, 12 May 2010 - 07:35 PM.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#33 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

The sidebar "scenes" do annoy me because the music gets muted. Grrrr. Its bad enough that they don't have voice-overs, but muting the background music or even failing to have new "scene" music is just a bad call. So far, this is my biggest gripe with the game. Everything else is fine, but I guess I'll just have to get used to no music in the "scenes".

In the Japanese version most of those do have voice acting. Namco just didnt have enough budget to voice every line in this game. It is still better than Legendia having no voice acting at all in the second half of the game.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#34 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

Well I've hit quite a snag.

As soon as I enter Choral Castle, my game freezes up. I've tried it half a dozen times and always the same thing. I'm not sure if it is my disc (its a brand new game, I opened the shrink wrap when I started this playthru) or if it is a PS3 backwards compat. issue.

Anyway, if I can't get a work-around, I'll have to drop it. This is kinda pissing me off.

#35 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

Ok, I'll about this thread later tonight for Week 3, at least if people are still playing?
Posted Image

#36 CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

I'm still playing if others are. Last week was finals and graduation week so I didn't have much time for anything. I'll be juggling this with ff13 too, as I landed that during the KMart sale.

#37 VideoGamesIzFun

VideoGamesIzFun

Legalize it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

I would join in the Abyss playthrough but 5 hours a week just isn't enough. I finish school this week so 5 hours a day would probably be more my pace. Anyway have fun guys!

#38 VideoGamesIzFun

VideoGamesIzFun

Legalize it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Well I've hit quite a snag.

As soon as I enter Choral Castle, my game freezes up. I've tried it half a dozen times and always the same thing. I'm not sure if it is my disc (its a brand new game, I opened the shrink wrap when I started this playthru) or if it is a PS3 backwards compat. issue.

Anyway, if I can't get a work-around, I'll have to drop it. This is kinda pissing me off.

This is a problem with the PS3 actually. You need to run through this part on a PS2.

#39 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

Alright, I'm extending "Week 2" until this Friday. It seems everyone has gotten a little busy in real life and hopefully we can keep on track.

@Videogamesizfun- 5 hours a day? Really?
Posted Image

#40 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

Alright, I'm extending "Week 2" until this Friday. It seems everyone has gotten a little busy in real life and hopefully we can keep on track.

No school or job = 5 hours a day is a little low

I miss those days.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#41 VideoGamesIzFun

VideoGamesIzFun

Legalize it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Give or take.. I'm kind of a night owl. Also I do have a job. Most the time I won't even play video games unless I can play for at least an hour. 5 hours a day is probably an exaggeration. Just 5 hours a week is too slow for me. By the time I got to the end of the game 2 weeks later I would forget the beginning. Maybe if I get a second job 5 hours a week would be great.

#42 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Put another hour in. Most of it grinding for some spending money.

Character observations:

Luke: Insecure about his mullet hair-do
Tear: Probably extremely annoying and chatty if she ever got drunk.
Jade: When he adjusts his glasses, he does it with his middle finger, thus flipping the bird to Luke.
Guy: Obviously gay.
Meiu: Everytime Luke smacks him, I smile.

The mention of "Sephiroth" is interesting. Not just the Final Fantasy VII reference, but them being the "10 most powerful fon slots" because in the Jewish kabbalah, "Sephirot" is the 10 attributes/emanations thru which God reveals himself. Seems more than just coincidental.

You can find some pretty messed up references to Sephiroth in old books. I once has this massive Webster's dictionary from my grandmother's attic which had Sephiroth in there, defined and all O_O Something like the eleven manifestations of God (hence the one gamefaqs hypothesis that it's not Sephiroth following your party around, but it's his expressed self through the clones).

I've also seen some mentions of Sephirot in New Age magic books, along with diagrams showing different aspects of the body. I think the only hobby worse than this is trying to connect the Tarot aspects of the Persona series or Ogre Battle with actual Tarot XD

#43 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:02 AM

I would join in the Abyss playthrough but 5 hours a week just isn't enough. I finish school this week so 5 hours a day would probably be more my pace. Anyway have fun guys!

I miss those days, haha. Now 5 hours a week on one game is a feat for me, especially since I sitill try to play more than one at once. And on that note I'm starting to fall a ways behind haha, haven't finished the Liger Queen yet, but I'm getting close. Basically Monster Hunter 3 is still soaking up lots of time and then I also started Nier, and then I'm trying to do this on the side... we will see hopefully I will not have to drop out.

432990.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#44 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:17 AM

This is a problem with the PS3 actually. You need to run through this part on a PS2.

Dammit I thought so. I ain't got no PS2. But at least I know its not the disc itself that has the problem.

In that case, I'll have to drop the game for a week or so until I can get over to my brother's house and jump past this section.

#45 DrNo888

DrNo888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

What?

That sucks. Guess I'll keep my copy sealed until if/when I ever get a PS2. So much for BC. LOL!
=========================
Posted Image

#46 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:04 AM

What?

That sucks. Guess I'll keep my copy sealed until if/when I ever get a PS2. So much for BC. LOL!

Keep your copy sealed and pick up a used copy

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#47 timesplitt

timesplitt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:22 AM

i wish the characters would talk in those conversations

how do i move about the battlefield?

#48 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

I'm not very happy with this game. The characters aren't very likeable at all.

#49 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

i wish the characters would talk in those conversations

how do i move about the battlefield?

You have to gain the ability, I think it's called Free-Roam. Once you do, you have to hold R1 I think.

I'm not very happy with this game. The characters aren't very likeable at all.

I think the characters are great, but everyone is different.

Edited by willardhaven, 21 May 2010 - 02:01 PM.

Posted Image

#50 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

Hey, I was a bit laid up this week. I had to go to the emergency room and was in the hospital for a few days.

If you're in the group send me a PM if you're still interested and where you're at in the game. It seems to me that people either are unable to play, time constraints, or just don't like the game.

Anyways, sorry for my absence and PLEASE SEND ME A PM.
Posted Image

#51 CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

My cat loves mieu. Either that or it annoys the hell out of him. But everytime mieu speaks, his ears go up and he starts following the Luke running around onscreen.

#52 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

I've been held up by work and only just made it off the Tartarus this morning... RL doesn't really allow me more than a few hours of game time each week, and that's on a good week...

Nevertheless, I hope I can catch up soon... without this kind of motivation, I'm affarid I'll NEVER get through my backlog...

PS: I did however got the free Portal download and finished the starting set of missions.. I honestly haven't play such an inovative game with such simple controls for a long time. Absolutely loved it! Especially the fairly short lenght of it. Finished it in two sitting.

#53 CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

I've been held up by work and only just made it off the Tartarus this morning... RL doesn't really allow me more than a few hours of game time each week, and that's on a good week...

Nevertheless, I hope I can catch up soon... without this kind of motivation, I'm affarid I'll NEVER get through my backlog...

PS: I did however got the free Portal download and finished the starting set of missions.. I honestly haven't play such an inovative game with such simple controls for a long time. Absolutely loved it! Especially the fairly short lenght of it. Finished it in two sitting.

yeah portal is awesome.

Portal and Tales of Vesperia are the only current gen games that I've really gotten into so far.

#54 Sito

Sito

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

I actually just started up tales of the abyss last week and am about 2 hours into it. Cool if I hop in and catch up?
I love lamp

#55 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:57 AM

I actually just started up tales of the abyss last week and am about 2 hours into it. Cool if I hop in and catch up?

Sure you can hop on. :)

I'm waiting for some more PM's and letting people catch up. So if you just get to Chesedonia, that would be great.

Also, I'm thinking it's OK if we fall behind a bit, we just need to motivate each other to tame this backlog beast.
Posted Image

#56 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

You can add me, I'm actually returning to Chesedonia after the Zao Ruins but you guys will catch up to me in no time.
Posted Image

#57 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

Ok, sorry for the delay everyone. I've had some minor medical problems which have been taking up A LOT of my time. I'll update the list and everything, hopefully you guys are still interested, please let me know. Thanks everyone and sorry for the delay.
Posted Image

#58 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

My family has been taking turns getting sick, plus a large influx of work load, so while I am still playing when ever I can but I've only just made it to Fubras River.

I hope I can catch up in July...