All Game Crazys Are Closing

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#31 halofreak64

halofreak64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

really sad I've never been to a GC always wanted to never been one in fl.

#32 daminion

daminion

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

I have a service contract through them on my 360. Wonder if they will refund it.

#33 cRodz

cRodz

Lead Chimp Ass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

That's why I shop Amazon, they matched everything and no tax.

but dewd

Gamestop has liek 50% trade in so i can trade my video games and consoles [lol why do i need those for anyways?] at a minimal loss and that Edge card too that covers partial tax ..
and those lolgiftcards that do not stack with a single order!

you are such a tool! ;)

#34 sixteenvolt420

sixteenvolt420

Hidefninja.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

I'm surprised mine didn't close long ago. We have 2 Gamestops within 1 mile of one another. One in the mall, and one in the wal-mart shopping complex. They are both in the area most people go to. Gamecrazy, on the other hand, is a few miles away, and a bit out of the way of where most people are going.

sixteenvolt420.png

#35 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

You know how liquidations go... mark the product up 50% then offer 30% off! Don't expect too many great deals on this one.

Usually the way they do it with games is even more trickery, though its only yourself doing the tricking. The signs will say like 30%-70% off games, but there will either be no more of the games that were marked off at 70% off or they would have never existed to begin with. There can be multiple reasons why the top % off isn't on the shelves, but either way you be hard pressed to be the first one to nab something before an employee. At least thats what I seem to find in regards to any type of primarily tech/game stores.

#36 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

How much can the increase the price of a used game anyway?

#37 G3 Steve-O

G3 Steve-O

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Here's a blast from the past for all us Gamecrazy fans.
Here are the OLD SCHOOL Game Crazy Training Videos with your Favorite ZELDA SCOTT

If you never watched them, ITS A MUST. And YES they did show these to their employees for training purposes.

enjoy
"The Blackest Eyes. The Devil's Eyes."
- Dr. Loomis - Halloween

#38 cRodz

cRodz

Lead Chimp Ass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

oh lol
"As always Zelda, you are a lawsuit just waiting to happen!"

Game Crazy.
Retailer of the Year. All Years!

#39 malethief

malethief

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

There's a gamecrazy in NY maybe I should check it out to see if they're closing as well

#40 kart007k

kart007k

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

I gave 5 star only for the thread title.
"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. " - Layer Cake

#41 kart007k

kart007k

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

those two videos are awsome.
"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. " - Layer Cake

#42 myl0r

myl0r

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

sad that all stores seem to be closing. I used to work at a store in St. Louis. Some good friends still work there, and 2 of them are store managers. I had a GREAT time working there. I feel bad for all the employees.

#43 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

haha, my wife and mother-in-law just said, "I thought they all already closed down." this is no surprise, all the ones in Houston have been gone for 8 months now...

next will be Blockbuster, but they will shift to streaming and mail to rival netflix, and what I hear of their streaming quality, could beat out netflix. Imagine if BB could deliver release day movies via streaming and jack up their fee just a little, I would contemplate leaving 'flix for that..pretty easy to get customers..just pull an ECA move, when they close shop, convert everyone to the mail/streaming program w/ no hassle..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#44 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

It's always sad to see a business close up shop, but it's not exactly surprising. There's one store left in St Louis (I think there's only one) and they did no advertising what-so-ever. It's kind of hard to know if its worth going in when they don't advertise. From the one time I was at the store, it looked pretty nice, but the prices were a bit high. I guess I'll go in and see if I can get a deal.
Posted Image

#45 Magnificent Valor

Magnificent Valor

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

Ouch. I've never been to a GC but I know how that manager feels. I worked for an independent bookstore for ten years, right up until the abysmal 2008 holiday season put us out of business for good. Sounds like these guys had a good relationship with the local community... I hope that Store Closing BBQ is one hell of a bash, guys.

#46 Maromi

Maromi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

Sad day for Game Crazy employees. I've always felt they were a much more passionate, non-asshole bunch who actually cared about games and their customers. This leaves the complete opposite as pretty much the only games-specific retailer around here: the dreaded Gamestop. Sad day indeed.

#47 Sairou

Sairou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

So, is this starting now or 2 weeks from now?

#48 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

poor scorch, I just found out mine closed a few weeks ago, I should have went and a bought a few things....

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#49 Zippon

Zippon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

The complaints about markups are a bit disingenuous. True, plenty of uninformed shoppers get caught in that trap, but that's their own dumb fault. There's usually nothing shady at all about it.

When Circuit City went under, the liquidator marked everything up to MSRP, then started the markdowns. Simple as that. And it put all stores on the same footing. They didn't pick prices out of thin air.

Folks who complained about "this TV was $200 cheaper last week!" didn't seem to understand that that sale price was Circuit City's. They no longer owned the TV. The liquidator was a new owner, and was starting the pricing at full MSRP. It would be a logistical nightmare for the liquidator to keep track of all regional prices (and recent short-term sale prices) for every location nationwide and start their liquidation there.

And no, that's not a ripoff, because--unlike Circuit City--the liquidator was going to keep lowing the price of the TV until it sold.

#50 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

This has been known for months and I think there was a previous thread about this. Gamecrazy never had much of good games in stock in my area and alot of them were slackers who didn't show much effort or that they cared. They are all being closed by the fall supposedly so dip out while you can and use up all your credit. Buy whatever you can and just sell/trade it on here or elsewhere. By the way, all the local gc employees who lost their job went on to work at gamestop. Go figure..

#51 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

Sad for me. I worked and managed one for a few years...after I left about a year later it turned into a generic "Hollywood Games" before disappearing overnight when Hollywood closed.

#52 wreckemtexastech

wreckemtexastech

Red Raidin' CAGer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

Too bad EB/GS is still around.

why do you say this? GS is ten times better than gamecrazy... I will miss GC but their business practices were terrible, not to mention they were very conservative with their promos, which never stacked with "MVP"... I will miss the store but overall I love GS far more
Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 wreckemtexastech

wreckemtexastech

Red Raidin' CAGer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

and contrary to popular belief, their trades were NOT better than GS, in fact I traded in games there a handful of times unlike the 9 billion times I trade into GS a month.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 Billymays21

Billymays21

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm confused. Is this just the ones in Oregon or all around the country?

#55 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

I'm confused. Is this just the ones in Oregon or all around the country?

yeah its buried at the end of his first sentence, but it says ALL in big capital letters, so I think we're assuming ALL as in nationwide..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#56 Zippon

Zippon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

I just called the one store left here in town. They reiterated the online message exactly--all stores closing, no special sales right now, liquidator should start sales in approx 2 weeks.

Bummer because there were 2 stores just a couple of months ago, and the other one (gone now) had a few good deals I meant to take advantage of. My bad.

#57 mossman43

mossman43

Castlevania Freak

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

Not all. The two next to me in Dartmouth and Fall River MA will remain open.

#58 myl0r

myl0r

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

It's always sad to see a business close up shop, but it's not exactly surprising. There's one store left in St Louis (I think there's only one) and they did no advertising what-so-ever. It's kind of hard to know if its worth going in when they don't advertise. From the one time I was at the store, it looked pretty nice, but the prices were a bit high. I guess I'll go in and see if I can get a deal.

Hey Ramen,
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but from what I know there are at least 2 stores in the St. Louis area, plus one in Granite City. I used to work at W. Florissant, which is still open, and my friend is the manager at, and I'm friends with 2 other workers at, the Delmar store. Not sure if S. Grand is open or if it was closed down months ago, along with the other one(Festus?).

#59 fritter

fritter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

If you go on Hollywood Video's site, they say that only some of the less profitable stores are closing. They said to use the store locator to find which ones were closing (only 2 out of about 15 were closing in West Michigan). I don't know if this means that only some are closing, or if only some have their sales going already.

#60 Dante Devil

Dante Devil

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Walked into my GC for any information on a liquidation sale, but didn't get any. Would like to pick up some Blu-Ray movies from Hollywood Video.

dantedevil0ec6zs.jpgcagerssmall6vi5lm.gif

ach.png