DVD2Blu - Trade your DVDs for BLUs

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#31 lionheart4life

lionheart4life

The Human Suplex Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:21 AM

Great deal on some titles, not really worth it on others. I've got a bunch I want on blu-ray already but will be worth it for sure if I can find some cheap used DVD's of the others to send in.
Posted Image

#32 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:12 AM

I was looking at the reviews of the blu rays listed in this promo...they are god awful! I think the DVDs would be better in some cases. The one movie I really wanted to upgrade was The Fugitive, one of the lowest blu ray reviews I've ever seen...
Posted Image

#33 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:25 AM

What about fullscreen dvds? My parents collection has a ton of full screen dvds even though I tried to tell them for years that they'd be pissed when they finally got an hdtv. Now they have a hdtv and a blu ray player and tons of garbage fullscreen dvds that are of no use to anyone.

Why would they care? They aren't going to expect you to know the difference. As I already stated, Elf has 2 discs, so I sent the fullscreen one.

#34 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

If you're sending in DVDs from a 2 disc set where one is the feature and one is bonus material, do you have send both or can you just send the feature disc? I checked the FAQ and it addresses the fact that Special Editions count, but I'm wondering if I can just send a single disc and keep the bonus stuff since most of these blu-rays are bare bone releases.

#35 J7.

J7.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

Sweet, they only require the discs! Not sure how to ship them without discs though. What did you guys put them in?

#36 postalpez

postalpez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

has anyone asked about disc with more than one movie on them? seen the oceans 11-13+60's for $2 at a used shop. think they will take it?

#37 Brian9824

Brian9824

CAG-Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.

I'm pretty sure most people don't buy special edition sets w/ the intent to re-sell them. It's a well known fact that like games many of them don't hold there value.

#38 turls

turls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

Sweet, they only require the discs! Not sure how to ship them without discs though. What did you guys put them in?

They say somewhere to use a padded envelope. The label they generate is 1st class so the whole package can't be over 13 ounces.

#39 turls

turls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

If you're sending in DVDs from a 2 disc set where one is the feature and one is bonus material, do you have send both or can you just send the feature disc? I checked the FAQ and it addresses the fact that Special Editions count, but I'm wondering if I can just send a single disc and keep the bonus stuff since most of these blu-rays are bare bone releases.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere while getting my stuff ready they only want one disc (the feature).

#40 Methadon

Methadon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

You do get the blu-ray case and all like a new copy, right? I noticed you only send in the DVDs without the cases.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you get cases with it, but they didn't specify if the BD came inside the case, or if they were packaged seperate (though I don't see why they'd send you a package to assemble, as the same plant that would have the discs, cases, and wraps would also have fully assembled slip-streamed packages).

I'm fairly confident that the reason they only want you to send in your disc is because they're destroying them after receiving them. For those who don't know, many disc manufacturing plants will destroy many discs (returns, qa fails, etc), and recycle the materials.

#41 Dendaman

Dendaman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

I'm fairly confident that the reason they only want you to send in your disc is because they're destroying them after receiving them. For those who don't know, many disc manufacturing plants will destroy many discs (returns, qa fails, etc), and recycle the materials.

Makes sense, since I'd imagine a fair amount will arrive there already crushed from handling.
Posted Image

#42 lionheart4life

lionheart4life

The Human Suplex Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Why would they care? They aren't going to expect you to know the difference. As I already stated, Elf has 2 discs, so I sent the fullscreen one.

Nice, I'm going to do the exact same thing with Elf then.
Posted Image

#43 J7.

J7.

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:49 AM

They say somewhere to use a padded envelope. The label they generate is 1st class so the whole package can't be over 13 ounces.

I read that too. I'm wondering what people are sending the discs in. Are you guys putting them in paper disc sleeves for each disc? They do say they want them in good condition, but I do agree they probably destroy them. So if they want them in good condition you can't just throw them all in one envelope.

#44 Rivana

Rivana

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

From anyone who has actually tried the program, what was the quality of the blurays when they arrived? New in shrinkwrap? Are they just the barebones Bluray features or are the special feature discs included as well.

I have about 15 of these on dvd that I am interested in upgrading on, but I don't want to just jump in without knowing the end result.

#45 turls

turls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

I read that too. I'm wondering what people are sending the discs in. Are you guys putting them in paper disc sleeves for each disc? They do say they want them in good condition, but I do agree they probably destroy them. So if they want them in good condition you can't just throw them all in one envelope.

Of course you can send them in one envelope. Netflix does this as their business and they don't even use padded envelopes.

#46 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

From anyone who has actually tried the program, what was the quality of the blurays when they arrived? New in shrinkwrap? Are they just the barebones Bluray features or are the special feature discs included as well.

I have about 15 of these on dvd that I am interested in upgrading on, but I don't want to just jump in without knowing the end result.

The site says that the discs come new and are just like the retail copies of the Blus, and I would assume that it'd be shrinkwrapped but that I am not for sure about.

I do know of many Blu-rays that do not contain the same special features as the regular DVDs, but you'll receive a retail copy of whatever Blu-ray it is you are converting to.

#47 J7.

J7.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

Of course you can send them in one envelope. Netflix does this as their business and they don't even use padded envelopes.

Just throw 6 discs in 1 envelope and have them scratch the hell out of each other? I haven't used netflix but it looks like they use 1 envelope per disc.

#48 goku89

goku89

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

Do you have to send the original upc or can you send a copy?

#49 yankeesfan330

yankeesfan330

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

Has anyone gotten their blu rays back that has sent in DVDs? I'm just wondering how it all worked out. I'm thinking about tracking down some of the DVDs on this list that I have and maybe finding cheap copies of some of the others. Just wanted to hear some success stories. Thanks.
Posted Image

Xbox 360 100% Complete Achievements: 10
(5 Xbox 360 Titles, 5 Arcade)

#50 Neo Queen Serenity

Neo Queen Serenity

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

Do you have to send the original upc or can you send a copy?

You do not need to send the UPC. You only need to send in the disc.

#51 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:30 AM

Just throw 6 discs in 1 envelope and have them scratch the hell out of each other? I haven't used netflix but it looks like they use 1 envelope per disc.

Well, the only conceivable reason they are asking for the DVDs and nothing else would be that they are going to destroy the discs, so condition doesn't really matter. If it did I am sure they'd clarify that in the instructions. I wouldn't worry about disc condition when you send these off.

#52 J7.

J7.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

Well, the only conceivable reason they are asking for the DVDs and nothing else would be that they are going to destroy the discs, so condition doesn't really matter. If it did I am sure they'd clarify that in the instructions. I wouldn't worry about disc condition when you send these off.

But they do clarify it. Are you sending them all loose in an bubble mailer?

9. The DVD disc of the Participating Title must be:
an authorized, original DVD copy of the movie. Pirated and/or DVD-R copies are not valid; and
in good condition.

#53 turls

turls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

I don't see DVDs rubbing against each other causing issues. I've already sent them, so we'll see.

#54 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

I think I may do this just to get rid of my DVD's that are in those old crappy cardboard cases.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#55 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

But they do clarify it. Are you sending them all loose in an bubble mailer?

9. The DVD disc of the Participating Title must be:
an authorized, original DVD copy of the movie. Pirated and/or DVD-R copies are not valid; and
in good condition.

It said not to tape them together so your only option is to leave them loose.
Posted Image

#56 xXJonoXx

xXJonoXx

Resident Che(vil)ap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

Placed an order for 7 of them. Took all 7 DVD discs, put them label to label and put them in a bubble mailer. Sealed it up and taped the label to it. Hope to get the discs soon.

Posted Image Posted Image

My 2011 Game of the Year - Batman: Arkham City
My Most Underrated Game of 2011 - Driver: San Francisco

#57 skinkrawl

skinkrawl

DoyoulikePhilCollins

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Just hit a pawn shop or a closing movie store and get the discs for $1 and then send them in. Will end up costing $6 per disc if you get the free shipping.

#58 cheapomonkey

cheapomonkey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

I'm in... gonna gather some titles. Particularly curious if Beetlejeuce looks better in Blu-Ray or not... (One way to find out...)

But one question: PAN'S LABYRINTH?? Who the hell bought that PoS?!? Most over-hyped garbage I've ever had the displeasure of being trapped in a movie theater watching! I wouldn't take a copy of that movie if it were FREE! Or rather, I would. But only to crush, burn, and then launch to the moon.

you sure you don't want my dvd copy of pan's labyrinth when i upgrade to blu-ray?

#59 cheapomonkey

cheapomonkey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

i saw a couple people ask, but i didn't see an answer - has anyone actually gotten blu-rays back from this? were they sealed?

i see that there is shipping on orders under $35. is there any tax?

i only have one movie on that list. i'm going to see if any family members have any. or i might hit up the hollywood video (?) that is closing to see what they have.

netflix does ship dvds in unpadded envelopes. but the discs are in sleeves. and i have only gotten a single disc at a time.

i don't know how well shipping multiple discs in the same envelope would go.

#60 cheapomonkey

cheapomonkey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.

you clearly don't own the awesomeness that is the futurama dvd set packaged inside a bender head replica.