CAGcast #199: Wombat, Wake Up

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

But he had the orange jumpsuit before he left, as if he knew Stark would be on the track. But Stark should have never left the party with Pepper & Hammer. Whiplash disguised as a busboy would have made more sense.

I think more or less it was just the best way for him with his look and whatnot to get into the event as a mechanic, track attendant, whatever. Once he found out where Anthony was I don't think anyone other than Iron Man was equipped to prevent him getting or going where he wanted anyway. So had he found out he was in the dining area he would have whipped his way there.

I think an orange jumpsuit is also the only thing a poor Russian man that just blew all his money on an arc reactor could afford. Had he shown up with his long nasty hair and in expensive rich folk clothes I think that would have been even more of a plot hole.

Wombat I hope you weren't really expecting your Macbook to be amazing at running games. The problem isn't with Runic or Steam but the hardware. I'm sure it excels at most other tasks but graphic intensive games weren't high on the list when being made by Apple.

Another big part of the problem at hand is the API. Now I know some people may bring up the Wolfire article citing OpenGL is a much better platform for 3D rendering but that point is moot. I'm sure electric cars can be more efficient than gas powered ones but the market just hasn't been developed that much. They PC games industry has settled on DirectX as a standard. Maybe if developers take Apple more seriously the future of Mac gaming will be much stronger.

Sorry about your computer not handling Torchlight. If you make a Windows 7 partition I'm sure it will run. But you seem satisfied with the games you already have or play so you shouldn't really worry about PC gaming.

LOL at Torchlight being "graphic intensive" I have a netbook that is total weaksauce in the hardware department, I can't even watch HD video, and Torchlight will run on this. The problem does sound like it's Runic. Sounds like they'll release a patch. You act like they put a product on steam for mac and they're just going to leave it broken.

And wombat you should try to make the jump to PC gaming because it's the best!!! Once you get past or bypass the higher start up cost games you see the magic.

#32 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

good show, lotsa laugh haha and for some reason i have much more interest in Alan Wake now than I ever did!
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#33 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

LOL at Torchlight being "graphic intensive" I have a netbook that is total weaksauce in the hardware department, I can't even watch HD video, and Torchlight will run on this. The problem does sound like it's Runic. Sounds like they'll release a patch. You act like they put a product on steam for mac and they're just going to leave it broken.

And wombat you should try to make the jump to PC gaming because it's the best!!! Once you get past or bypass the higher start up cost games you see the magic.

As opposed to web browsers, productivity software, and media editing? Yes.

Posted Image

#34 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

Where are the pics of Ship wearing his MOH Oakley glasses and backpack? We could use that for the next CAG contest, such as "Win Ship's sunglasses and backpack by photoshopping him wearing the sunglasses and backpack in backgrounds" - Contest (rolls off the tongue, I know).
Posted Image

#35 retromufc

retromufc

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

At least this podcast has a decent name

#36 smellhasreturned

smellhasreturned

Peyton Manning

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Another sexy episode gentleman. You better go hard for #200... I want B-List celebrities like Jon Luvitz & Antonio Banderas.
Posted Image

#37 commish

commish

Mrs. Shipwreck's Stalker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

I might be the only who cares, but Wombat how about a spoiler alert in regards to Smallville.
Posted Image

#38 Jasonofindy

Jasonofindy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

I think one of the things developers/publishers could do to reduce the price of making games in terms of marketing would be stop having special events for journalists (Like Capcom's Captivate.) They're unnecessary and expensive.

They could also stop making special editions of games. I wonder how much more money it costs to make a copy of Modern Warfare 2 that included night vision goggles.

Actually, the reason you are seeing so many more special editions now are because they generate additional profit when compared to the regular editions. When purchased in bulk the low end night vision goggles cost considerably less then the difference in price between the hardened and prestige editions. You also benefit from the 'collector" effect where a certain percentage of dedicated fans will actually buy one or more copies of each edition.

Additionally, while throwing the press special events may seem pricey in raw dollars, as a percentage of the marketing cost for most large budget games it is usually a drop in the bucket, especially when compared to the amount of gaming media coverage it generates. This is increasingly true in those cases where you use the same event to promote multiple games. (Including those smaller games in your stable which may not have their own marketing budget.)

#39 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

I hope Bit.Trip Runner is good Shipwreck; my review copy is in the process of being sent to me :)

As for episode 200, any chance for an appearance from either Super Programmer John, or John Snow? They don't have to be live appearances.

#40 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

Wombat wake up? more like everyone listening wake up....

#41 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

Wombat wake up? more like everyone listening wake up....

I can't believe it took 39 posts for someone to come up with that.

#42 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

Once again, great show! Shipwreck's sojourn to LA was my big interest in this show. I laughed my ass off when he talked about the EA dickheads using their own airsoft gear. That's just a serious douche move! You guys should start a CAG airsoft team and challenge EA, that'd be fun. And Wombat, your idea about the sort of Marvel comics Pokemon game was fucking AWESOME! You and Shipwreck really need to start up BatShip Insane consulting and get some good games made. I know I'd definitely buy that Marvel Pokemon game day one.

#43 dubbfoolio

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

CheapyD you will enjoy the following article http://www.1up.com/d...9359&cmpid=0101 Red Dead Redemption resolution is lower on PS3! I blame you for willing this disparity into existence you xbox fanboy!!! ;)

#44 Xo ColdKilla oX

Xo ColdKilla oX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

i love coming to the homepage and seeing a new show =)
really makes my day, thanks alot guys

#45 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lux is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

http://designer.3ddotgameheroes.eu/

There is a link to internet 3d dot game heroes editor :)

Peace!

#46 Oburi

Oburi

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

Tell me if you all think this is possible. So the Natal maps your body image and puts it on tv wouldn't it be possible for the new 3d tv's that are coming out to work with that and allow the mapped image to grab the 3d objects? Like a 3d baseball game the ball is thrown to you and you can catch it. I'm not going to buy project shitbox but I just see where it could go. Even if thats a next gen selling point like HD was for this gen. Tell me what you think

#47 Plastique

Plastique

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

Love the Flash Gordon music in the intro!

Another great show as usual. And Wombat, you rock!

#48 polly

polly

Karma Policeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

Well let's all throw a nice little pity party for those poor game publishers. Cheapy, the main game experience may not deteriorate but the online community in particular certainly does die off for any given game over time. This is the main irony with EA & THQ charging used game buyers extra for the online component of their sports games, since few people will still be playing a year later.

You may be rolling in that CAGdough ;) but at least acknowledge the difference between Project $10, where added bonus content is given to gamers who buy new, and EA & THQ's online pass strategy where they're holding game functionality ransom for those who don't. The online pass strategy strikes me as particularly anti-consumer and I'm genuinely shocked when people say they don't have a problem with it. It's like we've been worshipping game developers for so long that we just let them piss down our back and tell us it's raining.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

#49 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

Well I think he had the intention of attacking drivers during the race because he knew that Iron Man would show up to save the day. It was just a bonus that Stark happened to be one of the drivers.

Agreed. Whether or not Iron Man was there, I think his main intention was to insult Stark one way or another.

And yes. Shipwreck has cursed in past CAGcasts. Still listening to the show...

#50 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

Cheapy, the book industry and music industry ARE trying to squash out the second-hand market. Kindle and iTunes.

#51 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:07 AM

Great episode. I think you're spot on about all the used stuff. The only reason other industries aren't as aggressive when it comes to combating used sales is simply because they don't have the means. And people have this delusional picture of companies like EA being some evil group of billionaires, swimming in cash trying to take over the world. These big publishes are losing massive amounts of money every single year.

And hopefully you guys play more RDR before next week's show. The game is incredible and really opens up after the first few hours.

#52 MattZack

MattZack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:51 AM

^ I would like to know where you get your data about losing massive amounts of money every single year. I believe that if it was "every single year" they would be out of business by now.
Posted Image

#53 MattZack

MattZack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:27 AM

OK, I looked it up. Here is the info straight from EA Investor Relations website.

For fiscal year ending March 31, 2010:

GAAP net loss for the year was $677 million as compared with a net loss of $1.088 billion for
the prior year. Diluted loss per share was ($2.08) as compared with a diluted loss per share of
($3.40) for the prior year. Fiscal 2010 GAAP results include a $140 million restructuring charge
associated with the fiscal 2009 and fiscal 2010 restructuring plans.

Non-GAAP net income was $145 million as compared with net loss of $96 million a year ago.
Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share were $0.44 as compared with diluted loss per share of
($0.30) for the prior year.

I am not sure that they actually lost money last year, just that they lost it according to GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).
Posted Image

#54 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:31 AM

I am not sure that they actually lost money last year, just that they lost it according to GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles).

Seems like you're clutching for straws. I'm not going to pretend to know what this means, though.

I'm not saying these big name companies are fully innocent, but they aren't as well off as people think.

Edited by Fjordson, 21 May 2010 - 02:43 AM.

#55 thwak

thwak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:45 AM

In response to Wombat's question, "can you name any well known games that copy the Pokemon formula" I can name one known to hardcore gamers.

The Shin Megami Tensei series is basically Pokemon, but with more mature themes involving topics such as religion and morality. If you really want to get more technical, it could be argued that Pokemon stole their gameplay ideas from the Shin Megami Tensei series since the Shin Megami Tensei series has been around since 1987 in japan.

So if you ever wanted a Pokemon esque game that wasn't aimed towards kids I would suggest that series. However I wouldn't neccesarly recommend that series to Wombat, or any parents, since those game tend to go on forever (for example, it took me well over 80 hours to beat persona 4).

I hope that answers your question, and I do think that marvel super heroes game idea is awesome. No one would ever make it because it's too clever, but it's still a good idea none the less.

#56 ColdAsIce

ColdAsIce

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Yeh Whiplash was only suppose to cause some chaos and show the world the the ironman suit can be duplicated.

#57 40_ounce

40_ounce

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

I can't download the show from itunes. Will try the other dl link.

#58 Sigma

Sigma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

Seems like you're clutching for straws. I'm not going to pretend to know what this means, though.

I'm not saying these big name companies are fully innocent, but they aren't as well off as people think.

I get what you are trying to say. A lot of people think companies like Activison and EA are loaded with money because they are such big publishers and in this day and age that simply isn't true. Both companies are far from bankrupt, but they haven't been turning much profit in the last few years. Activison has had the saving grace of Call of Duty, but for every great success is a few epic fails and for Activison that epic fail is anything having the word Hero or Hawk in it. The last batch of Guitar Hero/Band Hero and Tony Hawk ride just didn't sell all that well and with the high cost of shipping these games to stores had to have cost them a small fortune.

Something I would like to know about EA is how much money they actually make on some of these EA Partners deals with companies like BioWare and DICE. I wonder how much money EA takes in on these deals versus what the developers get. I'd be interesting to know the numbers because some of EA's best selling titles are from developers that are on the EA Partners deal.

Cheapy, the book industry and music industry ARE trying to squash out the second-hand market. Kindle and iTunes.

Any industry is going to try to stop people from buying digital or worse, USED! I see the music industry being a digital only business model within the next 6 or 7 years. CDs are already on the verge of extinction
and many major retailers are giving CDs less space on the shelves or simply getting rid of them all together. Same goes for books, but it'll be decades before we live in a Mass Effect-esque world where all books are on iPads and Steve Jobs is the President of the World!

Back to CAGcast discussion though, I am still listening to show and once again another great show. I can't wait for the big #200 next week. The talk on Alan Wake is making me want to spend more money this week! I just picked up RDR and 3D Dot Game Heroes so I wanted to wait a few weeks to pick up Alan Wake, but after hearing Cheapy and Ship give the game glowing praise and getting some first hand time with it at a friends yesterday, I am already pulled into the story by just playing the first 30 minutes of episode 1. Remedy has made a brilliant game, with an unparalleled presentation. I don't know why everyone want's to compare this to Silent Hill and Resident Evil, Alan Wake really doesn't have much in common with either game and quite honestly it's better than just about every game in either of those series especially the disappointing RE5.
Posted Image Posted Image

#59 Evilsean

Evilsean

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

I loved hearing about Wombats gripe with saving in Red Dead Redemption. It took me back to my days working the electronics department at Wal-Mart. People would come in with their perfectly fine products and ask me why its not working. The first question I always asked them was, 'Well what does the instruction manual say?', to which I was always answered, 'I didn't read the instructions'.

#60 SRDMizzou

SRDMizzou

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

As for the discussion on used things. Text book companies do use a way to combat used sales. I can't tell you how much money I spent in college getting the new 8th edition of a book that changed some page numbers and examples just enough for the 7th edition to be useless for class homework. It would also drive me crazy when I found a typo in that 8th edition, meaning next year there would be a 9th edition.

I don't mind the codes given out for new games, because the only used games I buy are a few years after they released (i wait for them to drop to $15-$20) and by that time not many people are online to find a match with anyway.

If anything, I think it would drive down used game prices. Say you could hypothetically get Mass Effect 2 used for 50 with a code, or 35 without the code.