Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I started thinking today, I know this is cheap ass GAMER and all and this thread is for games and such, but there are alot of neat and usefull utility apps on the iphone/ipod touch that make it really unique. Does anyone else use utility apps on theirs? and if so would it be cool if we posted any kind of deals on those too? I dont want to clog up the already large list of free and cheap games coming at us if adding utilities to the mix. Its just a thought I had. I dont look for them as much as I do games but i dont know if they go on sale as much if at all.

This is great, the other thread was massive! It'd be impossible to update daily, but a new thread should make it easier for me to follow :)

[quote name='Billy Jean']So I started thinking today, I know this is cheap ass GAMER and all and this thread is for games and such, but there are alot of neat and usefull utility apps on the iphone/ipod touch that make it really unique. Does anyone else use utility apps on theirs? and if so would it be cool if we posted any kind of deals on those too? I dont want to clog up the already large list of free and cheap games coming at us if adding utilities to the mix. Its just a thought I had. I dont look for them as much as I do games but i dont know if they go on sale as much if at all.[/QUOTE]

I'd say go for it. There's plenty of room and while there's always someone who will complain, ignore them and post away. I download non game apps myself when I see good deals.

I do wish they would release the Netflix streaming app already for iPhone / iPod Touch. It is in development, just not out in the public yet.

This is technically the 3rd thread. This last time I waited until it broke 5,000. I have my forum options set to daily digest so I read that each day instead of the actual thread.

What is everyone's opinion on how long I should wait to archive threads? Is 5,000 posts average waiting too long?

Ok, first deal of the new thread...
DISCLAIMER: I don't know how good this is, no reviews so try at your own risk and just delete it if you don't like it.

Rocketards is FREE!

687708.png

Rocketards is a beautifully simple yet addictive dynamic line drawing strategy game where you control a team of crazy aliens with rocket packs called Rocketards.

http://appshopper.com/games/rocketards

Underwater The Game 2 $2.99 --> FREE!!

878888.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BEST COLUMNS&TETRIS GAME IN APPSTORE
SALE!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You continue your journey through the tranquil waters of the ocean depths
with magnificent colored jellyfish. This time in much more impressive
surroundings than before! With fascinating visuals, fine-tunes and new game
modes "Underwater 2" builds upon success of the first "Underwater" and
redefines the meaning of casual and enjoyable Tetris-like gameplay.

FEATURES
- deep relaxing atmosphere of the ocean underwater
- new awesome visuals and music
- 3 very different game modes
- time-proven gameplay with a few new twists
- simplified controls

HOW TO PLAY
Match jellyfish colors in lines to make them disappear and free room for
more. In some way, it's like Bejeweled meets Tetris. You'll learn to enjoy it in no time!

!! Rate this app if you love it !!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/underwater-the-game-2/id330878888?mt=8

Brought this one over from the last thread since it was the last deal before switching to the new thread.....

Space Storm

789210.png

In collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, Space Storm is Free for TODAY only.

A breathtaking space-shooter game. Every minute on thin ice, face to face with merciless enemies. You are the one to save the galaxy.

Strengthen your forces with cool weapons: from common machinegun to plasma gun and ion shell. In time of need you can't go without homing missiles to annihilate the enemy.

Enjoy various bonuses making you win in mortal combat.

After completing every three levels you'll meet a super-boss on your way. This ship-killer has unique skills and super armaments, which can in a matter of seconds reduce you to ashes. It's only your skills and weapons that will help you to survive. If you don't want to die at the very start of the game, you need powerful guns!

Top Features:
Lots of enemies with sophisticated skills and heavy armaments
Multiple bonuses to improve your fighting skills
Superior graphics will take you out of this world
Tutorial to help you make first steps
OpenFeint support

http://appshopper.com/games/cosmohero

[quote name='ryanflucas']This is technically the 3rd thread. This last time I waited until it broke 5,000. I have my forum options set to daily digest so I read that each day instead of the actual thread.

What is everyone's opinion on how long I should wait to archive threads? Is 5,000 posts average waiting too long?[/QUOTE]

I think 5000 is fine ;)

Thanks for all the deals from the last thread. I look forward to more deals in this one.

P.S. don't tell you know who about this thread...hopefully he can stay in the old one...hey I can dream.

OMG NO!

Yeah, I don't really have anything to contribute at this time ... just waiting for FireThief to show up

... I wrote it once, so it just needs to be written two more times to summon him right?

Here's my contribution to the new thread:
The puzzler Blubble has dropped from .99 to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/blubble/id330470831?mt=8).
"Blubble is a new and innovative puzzle game created from a concept hatched over ten years ago.

Take control of your bounding blue blob and hop over spiky Murtles, bounce off of mushrooms, fly over dragon's eggs and teleport your way to the goal across water, ice, fire, and more!

* Smooth 3D graphics
* 60 mind bending puzzles
* 5 colorful themes
* Win trophies for finding the best solution!"

Also, for those nostalgic for seriously old school gaming, there's the 6-in-1 "Made in USSR/iElektronika" virtual LCD games simulator (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/made-in-ussr-ielektronika/id336473515?mt=8). That's right, LCD "goodness" for your cutting-edge iDevice. FREE for one May Day only, comrades. Dah!

The latest Free App a Day title is the puzzler iCut (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=25&month=05).

"IMPORTANT: in association with FreeAppADay.com all 432 puzzles are FREE until May 25 12:00 PM PDT! Don't wait, download iCUT, and unlock ALL EXTRA PACKS today!!
!
--------------------------------------------------------!
!
Discover a brand-new puzzle to get your brain skills to a new level! Cut different shapes into congruent parts. Sounds easy? Give'em a try!!
!
--------------------------------------------------------!
!
Main Features:!
* 432 hand-crafted puzzles (288 ones to unlock).
* 4 levels: cut shapes into 2, 3, 4, and 5 parts.
* 3 distinctive modes: Basic, Shift, and Domino.
* For all solvers: from beginners to experts alike.
* Each puzzle has a unique solution.
* Neat graphics and smooth play.
* Addictive and fun logic.
* Need help? Use advanced hint system!
* Got stuck? Use your skip points!
* Want more puzzles or features? Discover Unlock section!"

[quote name='etcrane']OMG NO!

Yeah, I don't really have anything to contribute at this time ... just waiting for FireThief to show up

... I wrote it once, so it just needs to be written two more times to summon him right?[/QUOTE]

NO ONE, speak of his name EVER !!! He has ruined the CAG Pick-Up thread and the old ipod/iphone ongoing sales thread !!!

Nothing beats that fresh new thread smell...

In any case, Space Storm looks interesting, here's hoping the controls work great.

Free App Calendar is featuring Parallelus today (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=113).

"Boost your brain playing two games simultaneously!

Try it yourself in this original arcade game.

Use your reflexes to complete this double task. Two hands, two brain parts, two game fields. Parallelus it!

Features:

- original concept
- immersive multi-touch control
- 150 levels
- 3 game modes
- OpenFeint leaderboards"

All the other usual free site locations have already had today's offerings posted (iCut, Space Storm, Paracute).

Made-In-USSR is free today only, looks like a Game n' Watch clone from Russia...

Haven't played it yet, but I loved those handhelds! I still have a Super Mario Game n' Watch somewhere at home...

Made-In-USSR

BioDefense: Zombie Outbreak is free for a limited time.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/biodefense-zombie-outbreak/id358678032?mt=8

=====================================
LIMITED TIME OFFER
Hurry up and get BioDefense for FREE!!!
=====================================

Explore the wastelands of BioDefense in this unique release from Resolution Interactive that will revolutionize strategy games on the iPhone/iPod Touch platform.

BioDefense is a real-time strategy game where you're defending your base against waves of relentless zombies. Build your defenses well and expand your base into the pitch-black wastelands in the hunt for more resources. Beware of different enemy behavior and adapt your tactics or be overrun in the mayhem.

How long will you survive the zombie outbreak?

That Zombie Defense game is VERY good, and I really don't care for the majority of tower defense games.

think of command and conquer, but instead of making troops, you make base defenses. theres even tech trees to upgrade your turrets.

Terracore Adventures is the re-release of Mole: Quest for the Terracore Gem and it's currently FREE until Wednesday (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=55687).

"Enter the world of Terracore and play as a mining mole as you take on an epic quest to dig for the fabled Terracore Gem!

Game Features:

* An easy to play touch-screen game with no complex and cloggy GUI controllers. Simply touch any location to have your miner dig to it!
* Explore the deep underground and dig to find randomly generated Gemstones and Rare Metals. Each dig is a new bite sized mining adventure!
* Collect metal to upgrade your digging equipment so your miner can dig deeper, faster and for longer periods of time!
* Post your best dig scores onto the EscFactory leaderboards!
* Progress through 4 different mining Ranks, unlock 12 challenging achievement Medals and find all the rare Artefacts!"

The Whack-a-Mole-ish Paradise Monkeys has dropped from $2.99 to FREE for 24 hours (http://appshopper.com/games/paradise-monkeys).

"Help the monkeys to stop the horrible monkey Dracula, decided to take all the bananas on the island!

Touch the monkeys as fast as possible, avoiding traps, beat strong monsters and earn gold to increase your power, regenerate your life and unlock bonus.

Paradise Monkeys is a funny game that immerses you in a delirious tropical world full of monkeys like no other!

- Improved Whac-a-mole game !
- A game 100% designed for the iPhone Multi-Touch.
- An entertaining action multi-touch game easy to handle.
- 9 Levels, each divided into 5 sub-levels (45 levels in total)
- 9 different boss to defeat and many enemies.
- 2 amazing mini-games to unlock !
- Buy items and increase your finger power !"

I vote for including utility and other non-game app deals. I never see any deals on those because nobody posts them, and some of my most-used apps aren't games. Also I agree they need to hurry up on that Netflix streaming app. It would be perfect for the iPhone. My guess is that it will get announced at WWDC and will require OS 4.0, but who knows?

We have been posting utilities and other useful apps sincethe first thread. Feel free to post whatever good iPhone apps are on sale here.

Two non-game apps I use are:

AppVaultPro - Someone on here suggested it. I like all the different apps in one, I know there are free ones out there but this one has some great stuff I use. It was taken down for a while due to some conflicts but it's back up now

LoseIt! - I am on a journey to lose 300lbs and once I got a Touch I started looking for apps to help. I used to use FitDay to track my calories & exercise but it was a pain because I would have to diary at the end of the day. This app pretty much mimics FitDay (but doesn't do the homemade recipe feature - which I love about FitDay), it tracks calories, exercise, weight, and has a rather extensive food category list which includes both brand name items AND fast food restaurant menu items. VERY handy when you're with someone and they mention running to McD's for dinner and not having the nutritional info handy for the customer (which they should). Losing weight doesn't have to be about avoiding such places but making better & informed choices...

Those are a few that I use...

One of my favorite non-gaming apps is M-Train (http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/m-train). It's (mostly) FREE and totally useful for new workout ideas.

"Conceived and developed by three of today’s most sought after fitness trainers, M-TRAIN provides all of the benefits of an expert personal trainer without the expense, on your own schedule, and with your own music.

-- M-TRAIN, an innovative application designed to give the user the freedom to workout with a personal trainer anywhere and at anytime. The app. offers pre-designed workouts or the user can create their very own training regimen to their own music. No matter who you are, regardless of your fitness level, M-TRAIN offers everyone a satisfying and results-oriented workout just as you would achieve from an in-person session with one of the M-TRAIN trainers."

Thanks guys for the utilities apps, I ll definitely check some of them out. I bought iFitness and I like it alot but I paid 2 bucks for it which i still feel is worth it. But for free i ll def check out Mtrain. LoseIt sounds pretty good too.

Some Utilities i like to use are:
(all are free except appzilla at a buck)

Appzilla: which just got a new update that added 30 or so new utilities the already 50.
http://appshopper.com/utilities/50-in-1-appzilla

Alarm Clock (FREE version): this is what i use to get my ass up in the morning, it has the most annoying ringer which is the old school clock that instantly makes me pop up. There are other cool features to the free version as well.
http://appshopper.com/utilities/alarm-clock-free

Local Concerts: Great for finding concerts for bands you like that are playing around you. It also sees what music you have on your your ipod and puts it as your favorites as well. http://appshopper.com/music/local-concerts

Comics: gives a good variety of alot of indie as well as some mainstream comics and has free ones to download as well. http://appshopper.com/books/comics
another related is the marvel comics app that is essentially just like it but all marvel.

And lastly, I like to use Inside XBox: which allows you to add up to i believe 20-25 friends to your xbox buddy list and follow. It also updates your xbox ID and has news and other misc xbox related stuff. good for what it is. also its the "official" xbox app.
http://appshopper.com/entertainment/inside-xbox-360

So you know what I hate about new threads... It's the fact that all the folk who subscribed to the old thread are now forced to resubscribe. And if your like me and have been on the forums forever, you end up with a million thread subscriptions that seems to interfere with the instant update feature. Sucks !!

[quote name='Billy Jean']Thanks guys for the utilities apps, I ll definitely check some of them out. I bought iFitness and I like it alot but I paid 2 bucks for it which i still feel is worth it. But for free i ll def check out Mtrain. http://appshopper.com/entertainment/inside-xbox-360[/QUOTE]
I also have iFitness and I like its encyclopedic nature for looking up / trying out new moves. The nice thing about M-Train is that it's comprised of actual workouts. You can just hit "play" and follow along. The only downside is that it doesn't include all the levels for each category (Power, Agility, Strength, Endurance). It gives you one level for each so you can get a feel for the various routines. You have to purchase the additional levels. However, they keep adding new routines so it's really not a bad deal at all (especially for free).

[quote name='stoned99']So you know what I hate about new threads... It's the fact that all the folk who subscribed to the old thread are now forced to resubscribe. And if your like me and have been on the forums forever, you end up with a million thread subscriptions that seems to interfere with the instant update feature. Sucks !![/QUOTE]

I wonder about this to, so I pm'd CheapyD. I'd like to see a feature where when a thread is archived for getting too large, a new thread is created, and all those who subscribed to the archived thread are auto subscribed to the new thread without interruption. That way you really wouldn't have to do anything. Links to old archived threads could then be inserted into the first section of the OP.

Personally I've been playing these lately:

- 10 Pin Shuffle $3.99
- 5-0 Radio Pro $1.99
- Blokus $4.99
- Bookworm $2.99
- Charada $1.99
- Dark Nova $2.99
- Elevensgems $0.99
- Facebook $Free$
- Final Fantasy $8.99
- Final Fantasy II $8.99
- Flick Fishing $0.99
- Great Artist Jigsaws by ADS Software (multiple ranging in price from Free to $1.99 depending on artist)
- iDracula $2.99
- Match 3D Flick $2.99
- Plants vs Zombies $2.99
- Puzzle Quest Chapters 1 & 2 $4.99, Chapter 3 $1.99
- Solitaire City $5.99
- TMZ $Free$

Anything that looks halfway decent that's free I download. I'm pretty backlogged but the games above I come back to very frequently. I have so many titles in my touch that I need to use finder to see them all.

Here's your mid-week free sites update:

Free App a Day has something called Fishies (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=26&month=05). Can't really tell if it's a game or just a fish-keeping sim.

OpenFeint is featuring Fluttr (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=26&month=05).

Great App a Day has the previously-mentioned Spaceballs.

Free App Calendar is showing the puzzler Doodle Pubbox (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=184).

A pretty blah assortment overall today. Maybe some better freebies will come along as the day progresses. Have a great Wednesday anyway!

[quote name='Javansdaddy']
LoseIt! - This app pretty much mimics FitDay (but doesn't do the homemade recipe feature - which I love about FitDay),[/QUOTE]

It DOES do the homemade recipe feature as well. To get there:

More -> Edit Food & Exercises -> Recipes.

I've never tried FitDay so I don't know if it is more unwieldy, etc, but the Recipes work well, provided you pay attention to what your ultimate serving size is as well as how many total servings you've made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back