Saints Row 2
Resident Evil 5
Kameo

arcade:
Castle Crashers
Perfect Dark (xbla)
Turtles in Time Re-Shelled (TMNT)[/QUOTE]
Xbox, not Xbox 360

I've got Morrowind and Crimson Skies in my collection.

I love the original Xbox. I think it's up there in the high tier along with the NES and SNES. I've spent years looking for the best games on the system, both critically acclaimed and remembered and the hidden gems that you need to dig for, but once you unearth are pure gaming bliss.

Here's my recommendation list.

Call of the Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - A moody, atmospheric horror game based on Lovecraft's classic novels. The game looks great and is interesting to play, but also looks slightly aged only because its not high def. This is technincally an FPS, but you shoot in it about as often as you stand still in a 2D Sonic game.

Castlevania Curse of Darkness - A sequel to Castlevania III, This is probably the only somewhat decent 3D Castlevania. It's still not nearly as good as the 2D Metroidvanias, but its nevertheless a worthy title of the Castlevania name. The Xbox version looks better than the PS2, surprise surprise.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - Even if you don't like the film or Vin Diesel in general, this is one awesome game. Stealth action, great graphics, well aged.

Conker: Live and Reloaded - A remake of the N64 classic. Pretty much the same as that game, so you'll like it or hate it depending what you thought of Bad Furday.

Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate - I consider this to be the best fighting game on Xbox. Released well after Dead or Alive 3 and all previous versions of Dead or Alive 2, DOA2U looks damn impressive, even DOA4 doesn't look much better. There are 20 costumes for all the chicks and about 10 or so for the guys, its fun, DOA chicks are hot, and it also comes with the Saturn version of Dead or Alive 1 which is fun for about 10 minutes. You can also pick it up for around $6. GET IT.

Doom 3 - If you somehow missed Doom 3......get Doom 3 Limited Edition which you can find for about $10.

Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil - Moar Doom 3 love, and the balls to the walls hard Master Levels of Doom 2.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - A rare example of a console Adventure game that's not a port or a remake of something from the mid 90s, Dreamfall is the sequel to the 1999 PC game of the year, The Longest Journey. Dreamfall is an amazing experience that has some flaws tacked on to make it more console gamer friendly, including largely useless stealth sequences and awful combat. Still, this game has some of the best voice acting EVER, an incredibly engrossing storyline graphics as good as the Xbox can produce and a wonderful score. Play through it and join me and the rest of the Longest Journey fan community that are pissed off of the third title's delays.

Fatal Frame - Rare, expensive, and worth tracking down, Fatal Frame is in many ways Japanese Resident Evil, which evil Japanese ghosts and curses replacing zombies. The gameplay consists of taking good photos of ghosts to sap them of their energy and ultimately unravel what happened in the mansion you're in. Still not convinced? You play as a cute underage Japanese girl in a school uniform. If that doesn't make you want to get it, nothing will.

Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly - FF2 is similar to the first game, but its longer and has a greater emphasis on puzzles. Tecmo went a little crazy for this one with the main characters being not one, but TWO underaged schoolgirls. The Xbox version includes the same third person game from the PS2 and also a new first person mode that sort of makes it Fatal Frame the FPS. This mode doesn't really work as well as was dropped in the next two games.

Heroes of the Pacific - A WWII Flightsim that's really cool and a lot of fun. If you're a war buff sick of WWII games set in Europe and requiring you to load up your M1 and Thompson, give this one a shot. It's lengthy and very fun. Two sets of controls so anyone can enjoy it regardless if they want arcade action or complex flight sim controls.

Indigo Prophecy - It came before Heavy Rain and shares a lot in common. Not so much a game as an interactive movie. It's not really my thing, but its an interesting game worthy checking out.

Jet Set Radio Future - An update to Jet Grind Radio for Dreamcast, this game is even more amazingly fun and features some of the best damn music in any game.

King of Fighters NeoWave - I consider this KOF 2004, this was the first King of Fighters game made or arcades to not be on the Neo-Geo MVS. NeoWave is a beautiful 2D fighter featuring a giant cast of characters and the Xbox port is handled very well. I don't like it quite as much as SVC Chaos, but it's a great game just the same.

Malice - The final game by Argonaut Software (the folks behind the original StarFox) Malice is a fairly generic 3D platformer that nobody besides me seems to like. The game is quarky and a bit rough, but its not nearly as bad as most would have you think.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 - It's gonna take you for a ride. Port of the Dreamcast version. No online support, which apparently renders one of the best fighting games of all time a 4.0 according to IGN. Don't be fooled: this is the definitive version of the game in its original form. The XBLA version revamped the menus and options and took out unlockable artwork. This is how me and my buddies prefer to play this classic game.

Metal Wolf Chaos - You play as the President of the goddamn United States in a mech defending American freedom and justice from the traitorous vice president who also rides a mech. Released only in Japan, this game does make one wonder how the Japanese think the US Political system works. The game is completely dubbed in English with only Japanese subtitles. Fully playable and totally awesome. This is the most patriotic game of all time.

Ninja Gaiden BLACK - Do you like Ninjas? Do you like HARD games? Do you like the fact that the Xbox is too big and heavy to easy throw across the room in anger? Then this game is for you!

Otogi 1 and 2 - The Otogi games are beautiful Sega made action games that sold poorly due to obscure names and heavy emphasis on Japanese mythology, but goddamn do these games rock. You might be able to luck out and find them cheap.

Panzer Dragoon Orta - It's like the Saturn classic but its prettier.

Petit Copter - A friend living in Japan managed to buy this game for 500 yen but spent nearly double that shipping it to me (lol) but yeah. This game is a fun remote controlled helicopter sim released only in Japan.

Psychonauts - One of the best 3D platformers I've played. I'm sure someone else can explain why its so great, but just trust me it is.

The Red Star - The Xbox version was finished, canceled, and leaked online, and is superior to the PS2 version. The game is a mix of two awesome oldschool genres mixed together: the beat 'em up and the bullethell shooter. It's impressively done and is a true hidden gem on the Xbox. To play it you of course need to legally buy the PS2 version and then softmod your Xbox to run backups. The game loads quicker than the PS2 and of course looks better to boot.

Return to Castle Wolfenstien - A wonderful successor to Wolfenstien 3D, this version is better than the PS2 and has more content than the PC version. I think its a better game than the 2009 Wolfenstien.

SERIOUS SAM - Superior Xbox version of The First AND Second Encounter. Also cheaper than the XBLA release of only one of those, let alone both.

SNK Vs Capcom SVC Chaos - One of the final games made for the Neo-Geo MVS, SVC Chaos is a masterfully crafted 2D fighter featuring fantastic original sprites for all Street Fighter characters and features some hidden awesome fighters like Zero from Megaman Zero and you can play as a Mars Person from Metal Slug. I mean come on. How can you NOT love it?

SoulCalibur 2 - Still good after all these years.

Taito Legends - A Collection of many awesome classic Taito games including Bubble Bobble, Elevator Action and Space Invaders. The Japanese version includes Pu-Li-Ru-La, and that game is so overly bizarre it's worth the import alone.

Taito Legends 2 - Released only in Europe and Japan, this awesome collection includes some of the best arcade games ever such as Elevator Action Returns, Puzzle Bobble 2, Bubble Symphony, Gekirindan and Growl. It also has The Legend of Kage, which arguably hurts the value of the package.

Tenerezza - A cell shaded, anime action/adventure RPG game somewhat like Zelda. Tenerezza is a young anime witch-girl...you'll need a guide to play it but its one of the most interesting Japan only games.

XIII - A highly stylized FPS based on a french comic nobody outside of Europe has heard of. It's a downright SHAME no sequel has been made yet.

There are probably more, but man this took way too much time to write.

Satoshi_Matrix gave a nice list. I don't agree with him on all those titles (IMHO, Dreamfall was horrible, so was KoF Neowave, Malice and XIII), but they are arguably playable games. Here is my "shortlist" of the best of the original XBOX. Note I've added cross platform titles here as well.

007 Everything or Nothing
Bard's Tale
Black
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Burnout 3 Takedown
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Deux Ex Invisible War
Fatal Frame 1 and 2
Freedom Fighters
Galleon [A long-dead DC title resurrected on XBOX -- has its flaws, but still worth a playthrough]
Indiana Jones: Emperor's Tomb
Jade Empire [Surprised Satoshi_Matrix didn't include this one]
Maximum Chase [Very cheap, and simply awesome for the camp factor -- you'll see what I mean]
Mercenaries
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System [Next to Psychonauts, most underrated game ever]
Midnight Club 3 DUB Remix
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks [MK games are not my thing, but this classic Double Dragon take is fun-fun]
Need for Speed: Most Wanted [Also on the 360]
Ninja Gaiden [Actually prefer the original over Black; the original also has the NES trilogy on it]
Otogi 1 and 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Prince of Persia 1, 2 and 3 [Excellent games on practically every level]
Psychonauts
Shenmue 2 [I would recommend the DC version over this one]
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Simpsons Hit & Run [Remains the best Simpsons game ever made]
SSX 3 [The pinnacle of the series]
Star Wars KOTOR 1 and 2 [You know, I never really fell in love with these; I think Jade Empire is better, but these games won so many awards so who I am to quibble?]
Still Life [Incomplete but one of the most atmospheric games made]
Thief: Deadly Shadows

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with Doom 3, that was an AWESOME game and I loved it.

Freedom Fighters was nice as was SSX3, both mentioned above. I also agree that 3 was the best SSX game ever released, after that they all have been downhill (no pun intended hah)

Jade Empire and the Knights of the Old Republic games are excellent, again as romeo has mentioned above.

Mortal Kombat though, I must say I enjoyed Deception the most. It had a ton of unique modes such as its Tetris and Chess variants as well as the single player campaign.

Also like above all of the Prince of Persias were great games.

Also I really agree with Satoshi about XIII. I loved that game so much, though it may not be as fun now seeing as there is no XBL support.. though there is always ways around that..

Another, (if you have not played the PC version only though) is Counter-Strike, which again without XBL is not nearly as enjoyable.

The Hunter titles were fun with friends, though not the greatest of games I know, but somehow it hard some charm with a roomful of people playing.

Those are the top picks that come to mind, granted many were already said, but I am just enforcing them then!

Psychonauts
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Soul Calibur 2
Gladius
Crimson Skies
Fable
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Toe Jam and Earl 3.

Also, if you can track down a copy of Exhibition Demo Disc Volume 02 it comes loaded with TJ&E 3's DLC which is no longer obtainable through download.

I'm seriously dying for an HD rerelease on Arcade. Perhaps after the first two are finally released in their Sega Classics pack.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection. Grand Theft Auto Double Pack: Grand Theft Auto III & Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Halo. Lol.

I was quite fond of the following:

Jet Set Radio Future
Crazy Taxi III - High Roller
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Guilty Gear X2
Crimson Skies

I second Maximum Chase -- only game I know where they hired actors and then hired more actors to play their voices (and not to dub them, BTW) -- I mean, that's crazy.

I know I am probably in the minority on this one but one of my favorite games for XBox was Blood Wake. I have prayed for a sequel ever since that game was released. Its basically a high speed water/boat combat game. What was so cool about it was the water physics. Some of the levels had stormy weather and huge waves. I had a blast playing that game and have gone back and played it many times over the years. Actually just played it a few months ago and it still hold up incredibly well. There is just nothing else like it on the market. Oh man, I could just imagine what they could do with this kind of game on an XBox One. Ah well, one can hope. 

Fable The Lost Chapters

Fight Night Round 3

Doom 3

Juiced (Can race for Pinkslips, makes racing waaaay more intense)

San Andreas

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory!

Jade Empire

Star Wars KotOR

Halo 2

I agree with a lot of the recommendations so I won't repeat them. I didn't see Urban Chaos, though. I really enjoyed this game. Also Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball.

need for speed: hot pursuit 2

Ghost recon 1 and 2

halo

STAR WARS BATTLE FRONT 1 AND 2 (one of my top favorite games ever)

Stubs the Zombie

Obscure

Steel Battalion-expensive, but it’s the best mech game with the best controller ever made. I wish someone would make a current game for that controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back