Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1422 replies to this topic

#31 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

A Kinect was on display at Herald Square this weekend. I tried it because I own all systems and love technology in general. I thought the Kinect was meh. It felt like a PS2 eye toy that worked fairly well. Nothing too revolutionary... I was left wanting more.

This is not a trolling post, but a post of a disappointed gamer. Hopefully better games come out. For the record, I played two of the Kinect Adventure games.

These are the games that I am currently playing:

:ps3: Batman: Arkham City

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8
:3ds: Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage

Here is a direct link to my trade list.

#32 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Anyone remember the show Nick Arcade?

Posted Image

Kinect reminds me of those games they used to play on that show.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#33 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:55 AM

How many of you people that are complaining about the price paid $150+ for one game with a bunch of fake musical instruments?

Worst comparison ever.
Posted Image

#34 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

$150 w/ game isn't so bad. I'm gonna pick it up mainly because my wife and kids are showing interest in it. My 4.5 and 2 year old are both excited for Kinectimals. Adventures will be fun to play with my oldest and my wife. For me, I'll probably get Harry Potter, which has Kinect compatibility.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#35 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:13 AM

Worst comparison ever.

I hate this motion control stuff. But it is a reasonable comparison. Both are big chunk's of change to play casual games.

And I say that as again, someone who hates motion control and enjoys guitar games. Never gave a shit about the drums or vocals or stuff like DJ hero.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#36 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Add ons typically fail.
[cp][/cp]

#37 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

Count me out. I wasn't interested to begin with, but $149.99? Maybe Im cheap but that seems extremely expensive. When I saw that price I had the initial reaction I did to the PS3 opening price.

#38 Cephiros

Cephiros

Faux Dancer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:54 AM

My girlfriend and her kids have shown great interest in Kinect. I'm interested in Dance Central but I think a purchase may go on the back burner since Rockband 3 comes out 9 days earlier. Going to get game + keyboard and that's going to be ~$130.

Cephiros503.png

Cephiros.jpg

#39 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

I was always fine with the $150 price with no game, or would have been had there been a game I wanted. Racing and Adventures both sounded cool till I saw the E3 videos. Dance Central looks good, but I'm stereotypically white. I still haven't regained most of the interest I lost during E3.

155toba.gif2i6pefo.gif675n9f.gifhsl3pl.gif

#40 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:46 AM

Worst comparison ever.

Why?

The only real difference is that people paid $150 for a single game they knew they wanted (dmaul excluded apparently). Kinect is the possibility of many games that few know anything about so far.

#41 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...s-while-seated/

Works while sitting down.

seanr1221.png

#42 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...s-while-seated/

Works while sitting down.

lazy bastard's these days :roll::roll::lol:

I am just kidding , who would want to stand up just to get to netflix or something..no one

#43 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:32 AM

I initially decided to get this for the family to play (death to that stupid wii, it never gets played at our house). But, I'm getting pretty excited for it, myself. Can't wait to try Adventures with my daughter (4.5) and my son (2) gets geeked whenever he see's the vid for Kinectimals.
Chubbyninja1319.png

#44 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

Anyone catch Kinect's cameo on Entourage last night? Turtle was playing Kinect sports doing hurdles.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#45 AquaKnight

AquaKnight

Defender of the Seas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

honestly, I think Kinect is doomed to bomb for a couple of reasons.

- its hard to not look at this as a copy of the Wii. not trying to be a fanboy here (i don't really like Wii's approach to gaming all that much), but a good number of buyers are going to make that conclusion immediately before their purchases, which means theres a good chance that part of the audience is going to just buy a Wii instead of a Kinect.

- on top of that, there are little to no games for Kinect yet. the system is brand new, so we have yet to see how these games will fare. from the ones that I've seen in videos, and read about on xbox enthusiast sites, none of them are particularly impressive, mostly because Wii already did them.

- Kinect is $150 for just the equipment. With one game that's already $200. At that point, it seems like its way too much money to spend on a single game. I could understand if games that have the level of quality of Call of Duty: Black Ops or Halo: Reach or Grand Theft Auto 4 were also being released, but none of the launch titles give me that impression.

- a ton of people (myself included) are quite bitter about JoyRide becoming a pay to play title. Microsoft basically lied to all of us and made us believe it was going to be free for everyone. It may have been Xbox's Mario Kart (enhanced greatly because your avatar gets to participate in the action), but now its going to be a $50 - $60 game that uses Kinect as a poor method of controlling your car. Honestly, it looks like a $10 arcade game, so I don't really think it's going to go far.

well, that was a bit of a rant, so I apologize if other CAGs disagree with my points on why I believe Kinect will not sell.

tl;dr I do believe that Kinect is a step in the right direction and is excellent technology, but it simply has no support and no market.

#46 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

The games announced yesterday from Japanese developers could be interesting.

I'm curious to see how Steel Battalion turns out.

And the Suda 51 game. I'm kind of picturing it like you use the bat and ball to kill the costumed guys. You'll have to throw the ball up in the air with one hand, and then realistically swing, in the direction of the enemy to hit them. You'll also be able to melee attack the enemies if they come too close.

Edited by seanr1221, 16 September 2010 - 03:39 PM.

seanr1221.png

#47 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

honestly, I think Kinect is doomed to bomb for a couple of reasons.

- its hard to not look at this as a copy of the Wii. not trying to be a fanboy here (i don't really like Wii's approach to gaming all that much), but a good number of buyers are going to make that conclusion immediately before their purchases, which means theres a good chance that part of the audience is going to just buy a Wii instead of a Kinect.

That's possible.

- on top of that, there are little to no games for Kinect yet. the system is brand new, so we have yet to see how these games will fare. from the ones that I've seen in videos, and read about on xbox enthusiast sites, none of them are particularly impressive, mostly because Wii already did them.

The first ones, that's true. More is coming. Higher ups in Microsoft made a decision about a year ago to launch Kinect directly competing with Wii. That's what the release games do. That's not what is intended forever though.

I have it on authority that Microsoft sort of realizes that they miscalculated with the whole "Wii is the one to beat" angle with the Kinect launch, since the Wii has kind of taken a downturn in popularity over the last year - but it's too late to do anything about and games take time to make.

I know for a fact that 6-12 months ago they were shooting down 'mature' title proposals from various developers (Epic was one, I can't name the other) or titles that use the controller with it. But I also know that they will be changing those plans soon, if they haven't already (look at the TGS Kinect game announcements).

- Kinect is $150 for just the equipment. With one game that's already $200. At that point, it seems like its way too much money to spend on a single game. I could understand if games that have the level of quality of Call of Duty: Black Ops or Halo: Reach or Grand Theft Auto 4 were also being released, but none of the launch titles give me that impression.

An awful lot of people spent $150 on single games recently. Rock band? Guitar Hero: World Tour?

- a ton of people (myself included) are quite bitter about JoyRide becoming a pay to play title. Microsoft basically lied to all of us and made us believe it was going to be free for everyone. It may have been Xbox's Mario Kart (enhanced greatly because your avatar gets to participate in the action), but now its going to be a $50 - $60 game that uses Kinect as a poor method of controlling your car. Honestly, it looks like a $10 arcade game, so I don't really think it's going to go far.

I may have just missed it, but I don't think Microsoft has ever said what Joyride will cost or if it will, specifically. But you are most likely right.

tl;dr I do believe that Kinect is a step in the right direction and is excellent technology, but it simply has no support and no market.

I think it will sell better than you think it will, but that will highly depend on how fast they get out other games and games that use regular controllers with it etc.

#48 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Thrust, not sure if you can answer this, or if you even know the answer but...

Is the Kinect more of an experiment (sort of like the PSPGo) to see how the market reacts, or a well calculated decision based off of feedback, consumer research, etc.?

Only reason I ask is because it seems like MS will REALLY be pushing the Kinect on consumers. I'm expecting a huge advertising blitz this holiday.

seanr1221.png

#49 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Everything I have heard is that Microsoft really does see this as a new console launch and they will pretty much market it and treat it as one in every way. They are expecting it to extend the life of the 360.

As far as "research" or testing the waters - I think how Kinect sells will heavily affect how the 360 successor is designed.

#50 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Kinect is way better then will

and all Kinect games are 49.99

#51 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

I'm pretty interested in these Kinect games announced at TGS. I mean, an exclusive Panzer Dragoon game? Come on, that's good stuff. Plus, I'm a sucker for spooky haunted house stuff and that game Haunted looks promising.

Finally, Kinect stuff for "me" to be interested, vs. just stuff for the family!
Chubbyninja1319.png

#52 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

At my Best Buy they have a huge space ready for Kinect. Two tvs, and half of the 360 shelf space are reserved.

#53 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

Just a heads up, but you can get this in your Amazon quick picks for $142.49. Only reason I mention this is because hardware of this sort is typically rare for the gold box and since a few might be picking this up, the extra 5% off will be appreciated. For ways to accomplish this, you can read the FAQ linked in my sig.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#54 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

http://kotaku.com/56...ls-lookfamiliar

seanr1221.png

#55 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

http://www.computera...e.php?id=267040

seanr1221.png

#56 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:04 AM

:lol: I'm the only one updating this thing with new info. Come on, LP.

http://www.joystiq.c...tect-seated-pl/

seanr1221.png

#57 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:27 AM

any deals for this? haven't really seen anything for awhile and I missed out on the amazon deal where you bought kinect+dance central and got a $20 game credit back. I haven't found out any information @ work (bb) as far as a sale/promotion yet.

#58 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:38 AM

any deals for this? haven't really seen anything for awhile and I missed out on the amazon deal where you bought kinect+dance central and got a $20 game credit back. I haven't found out any information @ work (bb) as far as a sale/promotion yet.

I pre-ordered it for $99 during the Microsoft Store Labor Day sale so I'm set. That's the best deal I've seen, but K-Mart's deal is pretty good too.

11-4 Kinect Camera Offer $25 gaming coupon
11-4 Kinect 4GB/250GB Bundle $40 gaming coupon
11-4 Kinect Games Offer $15 gaming coupon with purchase of Kinect Camera or Hardware bundle

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=274278
Posted Image

#59 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:46 AM

I pre-ordered it for $99 during the Microsoft Store Labor Day sale so I'm set. That's the best deal I've seen, but K-Mart's deal is pretty good too.

11-4 Kinect Camera Offer $25 gaming coupon
11-4 Kinect 4GB/250GB Bundle $40 gaming coupon
11-4 Kinect Games Offer $15 gaming coupon with purchase of Kinect Camera or Hardware bundle

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=274278

yeah I saw that. do you happen to know if best buy would match those kmart deals? If so, then i'd be set and I would get it @ bb instead. Also, do ya think the deals could stack? Because i'll probably end up getting Kinect along with Dance Central and maybe Your Fitness as well.

#60 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

yeah I saw that. do you happen to know if best buy would match those kmart deals? If so, then i'd be set and I would get it @ bb instead. Also, do ya think the deals could stack? Because i'll probably end up getting Kinect along with Dance Central and maybe Your Fitness as well.

They should match it as long as you bring an ad and as long as kmart has it in stock.