Photo
- - - - -

Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1422 replies to this topic

#121 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:08 AM

Just finished about 10 songs in Dance Central. Worked up a huge sweat. The game is really accurate, but I don't like the menu navigation.

seanr1221.png

#122 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

I got to play about an hour and a half of Kinect at my buddy's house. I was bored pretty quickly. Interesting technology, though. Seems to work well enough.

#123 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

Just realized Kinect doesn't work with Netflix =/ That sucks. One of the major reasons I was buying it. Oh well mine arrives from Amazon tomorrow.

I think it will. That will be easy to update.

I still have not seen one review talk about using it for voice chat during regular 360 games. I am not even sure it can anymore.

#124 Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

Here is the dumbest thing I have read about Kinect yet, from the review on Katuku "If Kinect becomes nothing more than a replacement for the TV remote, it'll prove to be a winner".

#125 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

It's Kotaku. They consider Mario shampoo news.

seanr1221.png

#126 DrMunkee

DrMunkee

Logical AND dreamy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

#127 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

Here is my playspace (small, one bedroom apartment). Sorry for the mess, haven't had a chance to clean in a few days.

Spoiler

Works perfectly fine.

seanr1221.png

#128 thrinn

thrinn

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

I don't want it, and it'll be here tomorrow.. anyone think there is going to be a market for these?

Not really. People were able to pre-order yesterday without too much hassle. Plus the fact that MS is making a camera (and not something more technically complicated like a system) will mean they're able to quickly produce them to better meet demand.

#129 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

The space requirements for this thing are a potential deal killer. 9' minimum between the sensor and you for two players, even more if you are tall? That's pretty insane. I like the concept, but it's a shame they couldn't make it work in a more reasonable space. We do have the potential to clear up that much space in our living room, but most people? If most people can't use this it's going to die pretty quickly on bad word of mouth.

Having said that, Dance Central looks like a system seller. I can see people buying it just for that, and clearing space for it. Heck, I might. I love DDR and so a new/better dance game sounds good to me.
Posted Image

#130 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

Just read the PCWorld Review and I'm now more inclined to sell this thing once it arrives today. I literally do not have the space for it and apparently it's not as accurate as the Move or Wii. I see the potential it has, but it really sounds like the EyeToy 2.0 guys, nothing more, nothing less.
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#131 kevgret

kevgret

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

Here is my playspace (small, one bedroom apartment). Sorry for the mess, haven't had a chance to clean in a few days.

Spoiler

Works perfectly fine.

I think people are finding something.. anything.. to bash this thing..

the ads show large spaces probably because it looks nice in the ad.

The video posted above where the girl is playing dance central is not a huge room at all and it was working fine. I'm sure there will be places where the kinect won't read right due to sunlight, camera placement, etc.. but most users should be fine.

Kevin

#132 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

The whole lighting thing I think is really overblown. Kinects 3D sensor actually works best in low light, or even no light - you just won't get your picture taken well when the game wants to do so.

#133 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

Sunlight is a factor though. Best to close the blinds.

#134 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

Just read the PCWorld Review and I'm now more inclined to sell this thing once it arrives today. I literally do not have the space for it and apparently it's not as accurate as the Move or Wii. I see the potential it has, but it really sounds like the EyeToy 2.0 guys, nothing more, nothing less.

CML if you do because j will love it

#135 jason00

jason00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

I played Kinect Sports with a friend of mine while standing about 5 feet away, and it worked just fine, so 10 feet is an exaggeration. If you get too close, it actually tells you to back up.
608312.png

#136 Chroma914

Chroma914

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

So my Target is sold out of most of the games and I am torn between joy ride and Kinect Sports. Which one should I get? I read the gaming site reviews, but I'm looking to get some feedback here.

#137 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

I'm surprised there are no demos for the games that are out so far. For those who got Kinect it would be a great way to test out what games to buy.

#138 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

Well sign me up! Just got back from buying mine..totally made up my mind this morning. I'm more excited about the technical features, but know my kid will love it :D
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#139 kevgret

kevgret

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

I'm surprised there are no demos for the games that are out so far. For those who got Kinect it would be a great way to test out what games to buy.

I believe that there are a few demos packed into the kinect.. dance central, joyride and kinect sports?

#140 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

Curious that the review sites all report issues with having the noted amount of space, at least all that I've read. How come they'd have issues but not the folks here? Weird. I wish they had a trial period with returns allowed, opened, within a period of time. I'd like to be able to try it in my home before buying.

#141 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Curious that the review sites all report issues with having the noted amount of space, at least all that I've read. How come they'd have issues but not the folks here? Weird. I wish they had a trial period with returns allowed, opened, within a period of time. I'd like to be able to try it in my home before buying.

wait, I don't see why you couldn't return this to some retailer, like Best Buy if you weren't absolutely satisfied..if you said it doesn't function as intended in my living room, just like say, a digital camera didn't fit right in your hands, then I think they would take it back. I mean software is strictly no returns, but when you get into hardware/accessories, I think they honor it. I'm sure people return controllers from time to time, like if they bought a MadCatz, regretted it, and wanted to up it to an official one..

I'm not really worried about the space, I do have a sectional couch, so one part of the 'L' will definitely be in the picture..I just don't know. I didn't have any problems with Move, so I don't think I'll have any problems with this..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#142 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

The space requirements greatly depend on:

The game
The height of the player playing (which can be greatly helped by placing kinect above your TV).

But it's safe to say that less than 6 feet for one player is asking for trouble unless you are a child. 8 feet for 2 players.

#143 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

Another third party review that is highly critical of the Kinect. I'm starting to see why MS put an embargo on reviews and I hoped I wasn't right..oops. I've pretty much made up my mind at this point: I'll sell mine for a small profit and just leave it at that. Sorry guys...
Currently Playing:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#144 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

Why are you apologizing?

Also, the grammar in that review was horrible. I don't usually judge, but you'd think he would check things over.

#145 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

I, and I think Microsoft, expected mediocre/bad reviews simply by the nature of what it is and who is reviewing it. This can be illustrated by the reports I've been reading of Kinectimles. As gamers we can sit and nit pick the shit out of it. But put a kid in front of it and watch him light up and smile for hours - that's what Kinect is.

Can someone please verify for me whether or not Kinect works as a Mic for regular 360 games/party chat?

#146 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

I believe that there are a few demos packed into the kinect.. dance central, joyride and kinect sports?

Well then...that's pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up!

-------

FYI on some free stuff:

Thanks for the head up Spydir420, here link.

Kinect Premium theme:
http://marketplace.x...9270e?cid=SLink

Kinect Joy Ride Chevy Volt:
http://marketplace.x...cb788?cid=SLink
*Note* You could only get it in Ads at xbox marketplace or Spotlight (Not website)

#147 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Why are you apologizing?

Also, the grammar in that review was horrible. I don't usually judge, but you'd think he would check things over.

I think he was just writing by the seat of his pants to be honest. I'm an English major and grammatical errors bother the living hell out of me, especially when they come from news sources or the like. I would consider his writing to be more along the lines of "stream of consciousness," where the writer/author is simply writing as he/she thinks. I do it all the time because it's informal and fun.

I, and I think Microsoft, expected mediocre/bad reviews simply by the nature of what it is and who is reviewing it. This can be illustrated by the reports I've been reading of Kinectimles. As gamers we can sit and nit pick the shit out of it. But put a kid in front of it and watch him light up and smile for hours - that's what Kinect is.

Can someone please verify for me whether or not Kinect works as a Mic for regular 360 games/party chat?

I don't doubt that kids will love it. Actually, I think kids would get a kick out of it and I would have loved something like this when I was a kid! That being said, the 360 isn't usually thought of as a family friendly console like the Wii. With games like Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, and so on, its target audience is for gamers between 17 and 35 or so.

Also, according to one of the reviews I posted above, it does not work great as a mic for regular 360 games or party chat. It worked sometimes and other times it would require the person to nearly scream at it to get other people to hear them...barely.
Currently Playing:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#148 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:57 PM

I don't doubt that kids will love it. Actually, I think kids would get a kick out of it and I would have loved something like this when I was a kid! That being said, the 360 isn't usually thought of as a family friendly console like the Wii. With games like Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, and so on, its target audience is for gamers between 17 and 35 or so.

Yeah but that doesn't matter. Microsoft isn't that concerned about selling Kinect to 360 owners. They are concerned about using Kinect to sell more 360's to people that never would have been interested before.

#149 Trez123

Trez123

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

I was planning on holding out for awhile but curiosity got the better of me. I just barely have about 6 feet and so far Kinect adventures works fine.

#150 maingon

maingon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Just realized Kinect doesn't work with Netflix =/ That sucks. One of the major reasons I was buying it. Oh well mine arrives from Amazon tomorrow.

Yeah me too, but then again you know there will be a update sooner or later for Kinect support