Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1422 replies to this topic

#151 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Yeah but that doesn't matter. Microsoft isn't that concerned about selling Kinect to 360 owners. They are concerned about using Kinect to sell more 360's to people that never would have been interested before.

Right, but then what? Does MS actually believe the new 360 owners, who were targeted as "casual gamers" mind you, will suddenly pick up games like COD and Halo just because of Kinect? Kinect will be great for them, and their investors, in the short term. Long term, I don't see it lasting long. Kids will get bored with it (they always do) and the gimmick effect will subside. All that's left to be judged are the games and they don't have stellar titles at the moment.
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#152 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

Right, but then what? Does MS actually believe the new 360 owners, who were targeted as "casual gamers" mind you, will suddenly pick up games like COD and Halo just because of Kinect? Kinect will be great for them, and their investors, in the short term. Long term, I don't see it lasting long. Kids will get bored with it (they always do) and the gimmick effect will subside. All that's left to be judged are the games and they don't have stellar titles at the moment.

The battle is getting the 360 into the home, once they accomplish that, then they're golden.
Posted Image

#153 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

Curious that the review sites all report issues with having the noted amount of space, at least all that I've read. How come they'd have issues but not the folks here? Weird. I wish they had a trial period with returns allowed, opened, within a period of time. I'd like to be able to try it in my home before buying.

buy as a gift

#154 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

I have 4 feet of space in my room... has anyone tried using Kinect with that little space? Very curious to see if it works.

These are the games that I am currently playing:

:wiiu: NES Remix
:3ds: Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate

Here is a direct link to my trade list.

#155 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

My friend bought one this morning, he bought the Kinect and Kinect Sports. I had alot of fun playing, it is for sure going for the Wii demographic, but it might have promise for the core gamers "might". None the less I do not have a Wii so I might buy one eventually. I also like how you do not need to buy anymore controllers for it, I do hope that they patch more interactivity in the future, it did not do all the stuff I thought it would. Also, like people were saying about the voice command, it worked when my buddies furnace kicked off, but if the furnace was running it was a no go on the voice command.

edit - my friend had it in his room and it was too small and we had to move it into the front room. 4 feet might work but that is cutting it really close when you have to kick and punch around.

#156 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

Giant Bomb got their Kinect in, so they're doing an all-day (Except during the Goldeneye TNT in a few hours) live video stream of them playing the Kinect.
Posted Image

#157 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

That pregnant chick playing Dance Central is in a tiny apartment and it seems to work just fine. The games look stupid but these concerns over the hardware seem like hyperbole.

#158 Strider21

Strider21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

As I understand it, all the games that come out for kinect will look like the ones out Now right? Since it uses like 30% of the Xboxs power.

#159 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

As I understand it, all the games that come out for kinect will look like the ones out Now right? Since it uses like 30% of the Xboxs power.

Apparently it only uses single digit percentage of the CPU according to Microsoft (via Engadget the other day).

Crunchewy.png

#160 Techsticles

Techsticles

Nihilistic Mystics

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

Gossip bloggers are saying the Kinect is racist... lol

The article they are linking to:
http://www.gamespot....ws/6283514.html
Kinect has problems recognizing dark-skinned users?

While testing out the Kinect, two dark-skinned GameSpot employees experienced problems with the system's facial recognition abilities. The system recognized one employee inconsistently, while it was never able to properly identify the other despite repeated calibration attempts. However, Kinect had no problems identifying a third dark-skinned GameSpot employee, recognizing his face after a single calibration. Lighter-skinned employees were also consistently picked up on the first try.

#161 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

I have 4 feet of space in my room... has anyone tried using Kinect with that little space? Very curious to see if it works.

I got a chance to play Kinect Adventures today at Best Buy. The play space was pretty small, but I'm not sure if 4 feet is going to be enough.

I was a little worried about space issues, but after playing it at Best Buy I'm pretty confident that I have plenty of space.
Posted Image

#162 Trez123

Trez123

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameofdoom666 Posted Image

From my experience 4 feet wouldn't work. My set up of almost 6 feet gets me in the good range for single player and If I step forward It tells me to step back. It worked well for Adventures but on the Dance Central demo I noticed my Head and feet were cut off.

#163 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

Anyone notice if you walk out of the frame, and step back you'll be signed out of the Kinect Hub in game if it can't re-recognize you?

Basically, in Dance Central, if I walk away, come back, it doesn't recognize me, I won't be signed into the hub when I paused. However, overall Im still signed into XBL overall. I just don't want this to effect achievements tied to my gamer tag.

seanr1221.png

#164 DrMunkee

DrMunkee

Logical AND dreamy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

http://www.gamesrada...104112019187027

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

#165 KongaKing

KongaKing

He who will save us all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

I think one thing that is going to really bug me is, when Im not playing a kinect game (Say, Fable 3, while sitting), the 2 lights on the kinect are right at eye-level and are going to annoy me

#166 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

I played with it for awhile @ work and saw customers using it, worked fine with no problems. If someone walks by and in the way, it'll pause and you can just resume and you gotta be at least 4-5 feet away but 7-9 is the recommended feet to be away so it'll work fine. 1 thing I did notice is that most of the launch titles do not have online multiplayer and that's kind of the main thing I was looking for so i'm still undecided on it.

#167 matto1233

matto1233

frooooom chicagooo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:51 PM

What's the word on motion sports and that fighting game? There have been zero reviews for them, anyone get either one?

#168 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

Fighters Uncaged has reviews and apparently it sucks http://www.gameranki...aged/index.html

If you're going to get multiple games, stick to Dance Central and Kinect Sports. 3 games out the gate should last you a little while.

seanr1221.png

#169 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

I decide afterall that i'll get kinect with my discount @ work and go to target and do the buy 2 get 1 free so for 3 games it'll be about $108 after taxes of course. called and had it verified by an employee at electronics.

#170 tbassett

tbassett

MW2 Still King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

OK I've spent about two hours with Kinect playing Your Shape Fitness and Kinect Adventures. I'm a extremely impressed with this so far. The movement tracking for Your Shape Fitness is amazing. When I'm doing an exercise and kind of cheating or being lazy it detects it and says "wider squats" or whatever may apply. As soon as I start working harder it acknowledges it.

I played Adventures with my 6 year old and it detected both of us constantly. There was one time where it had his left arm in weird position and wouldn't change it but as soon as the mini game was over it never happened again.

I will be getting the dance game this weekend and will try to play your shape fitness everyday.

Again this is only after two hours of play but so far it has exceeded my expectations.

One other thing I should have stated is that I have a pretty ideal setup for Kinect. I can make the lighting in my room really bright although medium level light seemed fine. I also have about 10 feet between my TV and couch with a lot of open space. So keep that in mind.

#171 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

Gossip bloggers are saying the Kinect is racist... lol

The article they are linking to:
http://www.gamespot....ws/6283514.html
Kinect has problems recognizing dark-skinned users?

Consumer Reports Knocks Down Kinect Skin-Color Claim

Yesterday GameSpot set off a minibomb with an anecdote about Kinect not recognizing two dark-skinned users while lighter-skinned gamers had no problems. Consumer Reports has weighed in, saying this sounds like a claim about laptops from last year.

card.pngl1.gif

#172 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:04 AM

The teardown
http://www.ifixit.co...Teardown/4066/1
Posted Image

#173 Chroma914

Chroma914

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:30 AM

Kinect has completely, completely exceeded my expectations!!!!! I picked up Dance Central and Kinect Sports and I've played both, plus KA, tonight over the past few hours. Wow, just wow. I have about 8-10 feet of space in my living room (I did some serious rearranging) and when playing, I have a huge gap of space behind me. These games are just plain FUN. I'm a hardcore gamer who loves his Halo, CoD, etc etc, but there's a time and place for those games, and theres a time and place to just kick back and have some genuine fun with a game. If anyone, anyone is on the fence about Kinect - do some rearranging in your room, get it, invite some friends over, and proceed to have a blast!

#174 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

How to you get out of Kinect without a controller. Can you get to the guide with Kinect? I see the guide symbol (xbox symbol) but nothing happens when I go over it. I can get into Kinect central but no Dash. Also didn't see anyway to shut down from kinect central.

#175 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:43 AM

Kinect has completely, completely exceeded my expectations!!!!! I picked up Dance Central and Kinect Sports and I've played both, plus KA, tonight over the past few hours. Wow, just wow. I have about 8-10 feet of space in my living room (I did some serious rearranging) and when playing, I have a huge gap of space behind me. These games are just plain FUN. I'm a hardcore gamer who loves his Halo, CoD, etc etc, but there's a time and place for those games, and theres a time and place to just kick back and have some genuine fun with a game.. If anyone, anyone is on the fence about Kinect - do some rearranging in your room, get it, invite some friends over, and proceed to have a blast!

:applause:

Awesome to hear. I was really only interested in Dance Central of the release games (since Sonic Riders appears to be very bad), and my fiance wants Harry Potter next week, so I'm glad to hear it's (kinect and dance central) as fun (for many people) as I had hoped it'd be.

Edited by pjb16, 05 November 2010 - 03:03 AM.

#176 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

Wow, looks like fun at parties, but no way will it fit anywhere in my apartment. Might have to see if I can con my buddy who has a house into picking one up...
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#177 SNAKE EYES EX

SNAKE EYES EX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:01 AM

Kinect has completely, completely exceeded my expectations!!!!! I picked up Dance Central and Kinect Sports and I've played both, plus KA, tonight over the past few hours. Wow, just wow. I have about 8-10 feet of space in my living room (I did some serious rearranging) and when playing, I have a huge gap of space behind me. These games are just plain FUN. I'm a hardcore gamer who loves his Halo, CoD, etc etc, but there's a time and place for those games, and theres a time and place to just kick back and have some genuine fun with a game. If anyone, anyone is on the fence about Kinect - do some rearranging in your room, get it, invite some friends over, and proceed to have a blast!

100% same the same for. My friends and I were laughing and having a blast with Kinect.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#178 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:14 AM

Ok, my initial 5 minute hands on review is very satisfying. I was really scared reading this thread but soon caught on that everyone who bought it had no problems and practically loved it, while everyone elses 'friends' who they went over to their 'house' hated it..

I literally took a tape measure out before I unboxed and measured about 7.5 feet from the sensor to where I would stand. When Adventures configured, I was right on the line b/t Good and Best, so I was happy with that. With the lights completely out, navigating the menu's was kick ass, flawless. However, when I jumped into Adventures it got kind of weird, but turning on the lights fixed it. I really enjoyed playing that game, it was fun, didn't check out any of the demos.

When I went back to the menu, it said to say 'Xbox' then I got to play with the voice commands which was the sh*t!! I really hope they expand commands thru updates, which I'm sure they will. Hell, there is so much that I feel like you can do / say, but I just don't know it. These websites need to stop putting out 'your mega guide to Kinect' which is bs links to other articles/reviews and start showing us inside tips and tricks!!
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#179 Coraanu

Coraanu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:24 AM

Also a hardcore gamer here. Had a blast with Kinect Adventures due to the two-player mode. Pretty seamless jump in and out. This echoes almost everyone else, but Dance Central is the winner. I could see why you can't have two-players with some of the moves.
Mike

#180 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:29 AM

I'd consider myself to be a hardcore gamer as well, and I am also having a blast with the kinect so far. Kinect Adventures is really fun multiplayer and the online is also awesome, and I also really like Sonic Free Riders...it just takes some time to get used to it all but its also a blast in multiplayer.