CAGcast #201: In Dreams, Furniture, but not in the Tuchas

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'll be seriously irked if they charge for Hulu on 360. I used to watch Hulu on my PS3 all the time, for free, and it was awesome. Then they took it away. Why? To shop around and figure out how to get more money for it? Boo, Hulu. Very boo.

#32 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Good show, guys! I was really happy to hear the Alan Wake spoiler discussion and it has convinced me to pick up the game. It sounds really fun!

Also, I completely agree with Wombat about DCU Online. It shouldn't have a monthly subscription fee, I think it should instead opt to have a free online play like Guild Wars does. I think that if it did then a lot more players would probably feel inclined to get the game day one and purchase the inevitable expansion packs.

#33 butaneko

butaneko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Shouldn't the title be "In the City, the Bathroom, but not in the Tuchas"?

#34 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

Finished the Alan Wake spoiler discussion...

Pretty good discussion. I liked some stuff you guys pointed out. Kinda surprised at how critical Wombat was with the game.

Oh yea, FACT: Wombat hates trees!
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#35 DCJ83

DCJ83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

I just wanted to say that I have to agree with Cheapy when it comes to the Ratings for Red Dead Redemption. If that game wasn't made by Rockstar, It would've gotten a lower score. It's a good game, but it's not really anything special. It is pretty much a slower Grand Theft Auto like you guys were saying, but with Dead Eye and Horses. Not to mention I don't think the Multiplayer is all that great either. Free Roam is nice, but Matchmaking absolutely sucks.

Alan Wake on the other hand, I think is underrated and should be getting higher scores. I agree with what you guys had to say, that if that game came out a week or a month later and not on the same day as Red Dead, the rating for it would be higher. The story alone is great, and the atmosphere of the game as you play really gets you excited because you don't know what's going to happen next, and even at the end, you still wanted more.

This is something that I think a lot of games these days are lacking. The story could be good, but if it's something predictable, it lacks the user's excitement and the only reason they'll continue playing is just so they can finish the game to finish it, not because they want more.

#36 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

For those curious, it's available for streaming

http://www.netflix.c...sition/70043423
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#37 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

I just wanted to say that I have to agree with Cheapy when it comes to the Ratings for Red Dead Redemption. If that game wasn't made by Rockstar, It would've gotten a lower score. It's a good game, but it's not really anything special. It is pretty much a slower Grand Theft Auto like you guys were saying, but with Dead Eye and Horses. Not to mention I don't think the Multiplayer is all that great either. Free Roam is nice, but Matchmaking absolutely sucks.

Or, you know, maybe there are some people out there who feel it deserves its review scores. I'm a bit of a R* fanboy, but I have multiple friends who aren't that big on their games, and hated GTA IV, yet they're really into Red Dead.

Not saying you or Cheapy are wrong, but neither are the people praising the game, if that was their honest experience with it.

Edited by Fjordson, 03 June 2010 - 09:03 PM.

#38 Baron O Hell

Baron O Hell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

I'll give a shout out to the Keith and The Girl podcast. They are not Howard Stern but have the same sort of humor.

#39 tenma

tenma

He Shot First

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

Or, you know, maybe there are some people out there who feel it deserves its review scores. I'm a bit of a R* fanboy, but I have multiple friends who aren't that big on their games, and hated GTA IV, yet they're really into Red Dead.

Not saying you or Cheapy are wrong, but neither are the people praising the game, if that was their honest experience with it.

Agreed. I personally wouldn't rate RDR a 95/100 (probably more like an 87 or so), but I don't think the scores are just due to it being Rockstar. There are other publishers and developers out there who are just as respected - if not more so - that I don't see this argument being used towards. I think just as some people think people are rating Rockstar games higher just because they're Rockstar, I think there are people who may be predisposed to give Rockstar games lower scores simply because of the hype and advertising blitz. I remember it being especially cool to trash on GTA IV after it came out, after all. But had RDR come out as it currently is and gotten a 60 metacritic score I wouldn't just assume its because all the reviews had this pre-disposition.

There are a ton of games out there that get scores I don't agree with. I could come up with a bunch of theories about what that is, but I usually just chalk it up to "X person had a different reaction to it than I did" and nothing more. As someone who's not a part of the gaming journalism community maybe it's naive to have this view, but it's how I feel.
Posted Image[U]

#40 Super_Cholo

Super_Cholo

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

Awesome show guys as usual. I listen to your podcast while I run my iPhone repair business. Thanks to you guys, I have met a few cags who needed iPhone repairs. I usually sit down to 30 or so iPhones and iPods, turn you guys up and get work done. It seems to help for some reason, when listening to your show I get everything done with time to spare. Although when you make me laugh I tend to drop these tiny ass screws. I've had to buy 3 sets of replacement iPhone screws in the past month.

If you guys ever need repairs done for your iPhones, iPods or smart phones let me know. I will do it all at cost for you guys. And yes this is a legitimate business. (richsiphonerepair.com)
Check me out at Richs iPhone Repair Remember kids... We Don't Die, We Multiply.

Posted Image

#41 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

You rip a AAA title and gush over a turd. Your review credibility just crashed.

So everyone should just shower praise over a title if its a AAA title? Regardless of whether or not the person enjoyed it? Why do you even bother listening to someones review/comments on a title if you've pre-decided what they should say? If Ship/Cheapy/Wombat like or dislike a title, I want to hear it. I don't want them to just spew out what someone is 'supposed' to say about a AAA title.

And FWIW, I agree with most of the criticisms of RDR that were mentioned. I wish I had waited to hear Ship's comments, rather than trusting all of the reviews that seemingly gave scores because it was a 'big' title.

#42 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

This show felt rushed to me. Like you guys were just making all topics as short as possible just so you could do the Alan Wake discussion at the end. Then again, there wasn't much news to discuss, so that could just be it. But it was still a great show.

And about the Should Mario Die topic, I don't think Mario should die until the games become something like the Guitar Hero games and four are coming out in a single year, and they all lack quality. It was almost 3 years in between the Super Mario Galaxies, and there's no lack of quality in either of them.

DarkZion9.png

so I decided to see what I could do with it and I got to the end but there's no way I can finish him off. 

#43 spineynorman

spineynorman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:18 AM

This was my favorite CAGCast since the permanent addition of Shipwreck. You seem to have found your chemistry. Nice job guys - very entertaining.

I'm starting Alan Wake tonight and can't wait to finish so I can listen to the discussion at the end of the episode.

#44 LimpDaddy

LimpDaddy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:27 AM

Great show guys! I really think you are guys are hitting your stride. Your E3 coverage and trip should really bring you guys together even more.

#45 Filler2001

Filler2001

Literary Mercenary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

@Cheapy
regarding the Red Dead Redemption ending

Spoiler

When you guys beat the game, it would be awesome if you guys put aside 20-30 spoiler filled minutes of discussion of this in the next two weeks.

And also Cheapy:

Having rented and finishing Alan Wake, Im a little confused with all of the love going around for it. Although this was a pretty cool game, the Playstation has had much more cinematic, immersive, and epic experiences. Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, and several other story driven games (In my opinion) easily top this. My problem isn't preference either. My problem is that you give so much time to games like Mass Effect 2 and Alan Wake and only talk about other console exclusives for 2-3 minute intervals (at best). I love the show, but this just bugs me a bit.

#46 shimbibby

shimbibby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:59 AM

Sony move = poop stick!
Awesome show!

#47 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:16 AM

I was ready to hit delete 5 seconds in when I heard clip show. Wombat's voice saved the day.

P.S. I hate clip shows. :)

#48 flamecannon

flamecannon

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

I found the RDR talk pretty disappointing. Cheapy can't seem to appreciate any story that isn't slowly and deliberately spoon-fed to him, and Shipwreck spends so much energy looking for the good parts of shitty games that actually good games seem to barely hold his interest, with a few exceptions for stuff like Mass Effect.

Seriously, Cheapy, you always go on about Japanese games like Metal Gear having stories that "nobody can possibly follow"...that's not really true, if you look at message boards, there are _thousands_ of people who can follow and discuss complicated storylines; the fact of the matter seems to be that you aren't very smart and any game that asks you to keep track of what's happening is lost on you. RDR is a similar situation-Marston's character is subtly developed over several hours of dialogue; for the ending to have the proper emotional impact you have to understand who he is, what doing everything he's done has meant to him, everything his son represents to him...overall, more thinking than you seem to prefer from your video games, which is fine, but try to realize that people don't just say it has mature storytelling just because there's swearing in it. And Alan Wake wasn't written by God Himself, the story there is quite good, but it isn't nearly as far ahead of other games as you seem to think. It's just told in a way that's easier to digest for someone like you.

Not trying to bash or anything, I'm a huge fan and have been for the past 110 or so shows, this is just something that bothers me whenever Cheapy starts talking about stories in games.

#49 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:44 AM

I found the RDR talk pretty disappointing. Cheapy can't seem to appreciate any story that isn't slowly and deliberately spoon-fed to him,.

True but it goes beyond story... I think the Super Mario Galaxy 2 talk (last ep) made me realize that Cheapy is a " lazy" gamer. Any games that goes beyond point and shoot is seemingly no good. Which is fine but it does mean his credibility is nill with me.

We all have reviewers (or people who talk about games) that resonate more than others.

Edited by usickenme, 04 June 2010 - 04:55 AM.

#50 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:39 AM

Cheapyd, when you said you stop watching Weeds because the main character just got so stupid, i wanted to hug you. That's exactly why i stopped watching the show, i loved that show! and then it just got soooo stupid with the characters, ridiculous. haha. just was happy somebody else agreed on that. Most people keep watching it and justifying the characters, but yeah. just had to vent that...
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#51 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

Ok, I've avoided the spoiler talk from Alan Wake at the end of the show. I don't know if i want to throw 60 dollars at the game or not though. Is it really atmospheric? Is it a game that people typically not into games would be down to watch if they're into thriller/scary movies?

#52 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

So everyone should just shower praise over a title if its a AAA title? Regardless of whether or not the person enjoyed it?

No. And people shouldn't like something just because it's popular. I have an issue with the inconsistency. I'm not a RDR defender, but AAA titles are polished and in general are in a league above shit games. Ship sank a lot of hours & chose a 2nd play through of a shit game vs. playing a really good game. Maybe some of his bitterness comes from him buying RDR, while the turd he fell in love with was free.

Edited by rogueweapon, 04 June 2010 - 06:33 AM.

Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#53 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

I found the RDR talk pretty disappointing. Cheapy can't seem to appreciate any story that isn't slowly and deliberately spoon-fed to him, and Shipwreck spends so much energy looking for the good parts of shitty games that actually good games seem to barely hold his interest, with a few exceptions for stuff like Mass Effect.

Seriously, Cheapy, you always go on about Japanese games like Metal Gear having stories that "nobody can possibly follow"...that's not really true, if you look at message boards, there are _thousands_ of people who can follow and discuss complicated storylines; the fact of the matter seems to be that you aren't very smart and any game that asks you to keep track of what's happening is lost on you. RDR is a similar situation-Marston's character is subtly developed over several hours of dialogue; for the ending to have the proper emotional impact you have to understand who he is, what doing everything he's done has meant to him, everything his son represents to him...overall, more thinking than you seem to prefer from your video games, which is fine, but try to realize that people don't just say it has mature storytelling just because there's swearing in it. And Alan Wake wasn't written by God Himself, the story there is quite good, but it isn't nearly as far ahead of other games as you seem to think. It's just told in a way that's easier to digest for someone like you.

Not trying to bash or anything, I'm a huge fan and have been for the past 110 or so shows, this is just something that bothers me whenever Cheapy starts talking about stories in games.

You do not know what you are talking about when it comes to John Marston as a character. He was a cool character that was pissed away due to a lack of development. 90% of his dialogue involved just being pissed about getting the run around or telling people he doesn't want to talk about his past. The only time in dialogue that John Marston stood out was when...
Spoiler

They should have ditched the honor system and told a fleshed out story, because things don't even mesh if you make John bad. Although I'm really not sure if Rock Star is capable. The over arcing narrative is really weak anyway. The story really only exists in the last part of the game when you get back to Blackwater. None of the characters you meet in Mexico or before the Fort Mercer assault even matter because they never show back up! The only character that was worth a damn was the Sheriff anyway, because he was memorable and at the same time normal.

That said, I was pretty satisfied with the end and how things played out, but I sure as Fuck wasn't blown away.The story was paced weird/poorly and the characters all in all were pretty lame. They were on to something with John Marston, but blew it.

#54 FishyJoe

FishyJoe

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

iCary? Christ.

#55 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

As soon as I heard about this Mass Effect multiplayer business, the first thing that came to my mind was an MMO. It would be pretty cool if I can play as a Turian with a scouter like Garrus, but there's no real way of knowing what the multiplayer could be. I'm hopeful that it's a spinoff, so as to not to draw resources away from the single player of Mass Effect 3.

Anyway, I enjoyed this week's episode, but unfortunately I didn't hear the ending because I still haven't purchased Alan Wake. I was a little disappointed that there was no mention of this week's Modern Warfare 2 map pack (at least, I don't think there was). It would have been nice to have thrown criticisms of Activision for having a total of $30 for 10 maps when discussing how expensive Project Natal is rumored to be.

#56 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

Great episode, dudes. Loved the AW talk. I pray that sells a lot, I want a sequel!

Really surprised with the lack of love for Red Dead, but meh. Different strokes I suppose.

As for multiplayer in Mass Effect, I hope it's something separate from ME 3. I'd hate to see any RPG/conversation aspects be dumbed down in order to make room for co-op, or to somehow balance a multiplayer mode.

You do not know what you are talking about when it comes to John Marston as a character. He was a cool character that was pissed away due to a lack of development.

So anyone who thought he was a great character doesn't know what they're talking about? Interesting.

#57 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

I got Red Dead Redemption a few weeks ago, and while I do enjoy the game, I must admit it has some flaws. John Marston can survive a shootout, but he dies instantly when he falls into the water because, apparently, cowboys can't swim, the auto aim is nice, but sometimes you'll end up killing the wrong people and your honor points will go down, and the horseback takes some time to get used to. The story is okay, nothing spectacular, but there are a lot of odd moments, especially during those "stranger" quests. It is a solid, fun game, one that I enjoy a lot more than GTA4, but i have to agree those ratings are ridiculous.

Also, thank you Wombat for bringing back the godaddy.com background music.

#58 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

No. And people shouldn't like something just because it's popular. I have an issue with the inconsistency. I'm not a RDR defender, but AAA titles are polished and in general are in a league above shit games. Ship sank a lot of hours & chose a 2nd play through of a shit game vs. playing a really good game. Maybe some of his bitterness comes from him buying RDR, while the turd he fell in love with was free.

For the record, I was sent both Alpha Protocol and Red Dead Redemption so that has nothing to do with me preferring one game to the other.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#59 grognard66

grognard66

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

Cheapy please don't mention Australia & or New Zealand as weird. Other then that i enjoy your podcast, hope you make another 200 episodes.

To be fair, I think Australia & New Zealand were the only countries/ethnic group/religion/sexual orientation CheapyD hadn't managed to insult by this point. :)
Posted Image

#60 Energy Penguin

Energy Penguin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

I love RDR, but I understand why some people don't. It is very much a R* game. The mission structure, the tone of the dialogue, the open world jank is all there. So if you don't like that stuff, you may not love the game.
And the high scores may have something to do with it being a R* game, but that happens all the time. Look at Galaxy 2, it has a 98 on metacritic currently. A 98, for what most reviewers are calling a Galaxy expansion pack. If Galaxy 2 was Super Fred Galaxy 2, instead of Mario would the scores be anywhere near as high? I don't think so. But reviewers can't find it within themselves to score a Mario game below 95. It's impossible. For a Mario game, a score under 90 would be considered a complete pan and welcome the ire of grown men who love Mario.
It seems most reviewers have a score in mind before they begin playing AAA titles. That is why I appreciate Ship's reviews. He is honest and tries to be as objective as possible when he reviews games. As for his love of Alpha Protocol, I believe he said his recommended purchase price was $30, half its price. That should tell you that he enjoyed, but it is certainly flawed.
Love the show!