Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #201: In Dreams, Furniture, but not in the Tuchas

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 retromufc

retromufc

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

True but it goes beyond story... I think the Super Mario Galaxy 2 talk (last ep) made me realize that Cheapy is a " lazy" gamer. Any games that goes beyond point and shoot is seemingly no good. Which is fine but it does mean his credibility is nill with me.

We all have reviewers (or people who talk about games) that resonate more than others.

It's ironic that the head of this website and the main character on the podcast is so ignorant to the subject he is supposed to be knowledgeable in. He comes across as so crude & unlikable I can't see how anyone enjoys listening to him. He is definitely the weak point for this site's podcast.

It's too bad because wombat and shitwreck are entertaining and actually have great insight into games. Cheap has nothing to add but shit jokes and crap about his family, how he milks his sites members, and that he lives in Tokyo. Every time one of the guys starts going in depth about a game he always moves the conversation on. That's why I haven't listened to this crap in weeks and probably never will again. I mean, if he died and the show was just wombat and shitwreck I would, but you'd have to drop the spare tire first.

#62 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Although it makes perfect sense for you to be reading and writing about a show you don't enjoy, perhaps you can do it without involving my death? Stay classy.

#63 retromufc

retromufc

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

Although it makes perfect sense for you to be reading and writing about a show you don't enjoy, perhaps you can do it without involving my death? Stay classy.

Well, you don't necessarily have to die. I'd probably start listening again if you quit.

#64 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Hey guys,

I noticed that the new CAGcast logo has one guy under each word "Cheap Ass Gamer". Right now, Ship is under "Cheap", Cheapy is under "Ass", and Wombat is under "Gamer".

Considering the three personalities, wouldn't it be more appropriate to have Ship and Wombat switch places? Wombat is always looking for a handout and Ship plays a ton of games. Keep Cheapy where he is since he is a self-described asshole :)
Posted Image

#65 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

It's ironic that the head of this website and the main character on the podcast is so ignorant to the subject he is supposed to be knowledgeable in. He comes across as so crude & unlikable I can't see how anyone enjoys listening to him. He is definitely the weak point for this site's podcast.

I would actually disagree. Many of his insights have been spot on. When it comes to games, there is a difference in taste between him and myself.

By the way, just because someone doesn't like certain games doesn't mean they don't know anything.

#66 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

For the record, I was sent both Alpha Protocol and Red Dead Redemption so that has nothing to do with me preferring one game to the other.

aight, you got a free meal and you went for seconds of the big mac instead of going for the filet mignon :applause:. Personally, I like a filet or a porterhouse myself.
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#67 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Well, you don't necessarily have to die. I'd probably start listening again if you quit.

If he quit there wouldn't be a podcast, retard. :roll:

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#68 tomscab

tomscab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Eh not the best show ever, especially because i havent played alan wake so you kinda miss out on a lot of it... and am i the only one who was really disappointed that it wasnt a clip show...and does anyone else feel like cheapy is too lazy to go through with actually making one...Challenge extended cheapy, challenge extended

#69 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

So anyone who thought he was a great character doesn't know what they're talking about? Interesting.

Please enlighten me as to what it was about John Marston that was so great. Despite tons of dialogue on his side he had little more personality than Gordon Freeman.

It's one thing to thing to like him but to call him awesome and go on about how the game "subtly" builds him over time in an attempt to make someone look like a lazy idiot is ridiculous.

#70 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

Mass Effect multiplayer done perfectly:

* Computer terminals everywhere to access a multiplayer training simulator
* Option to play vs bots or players
* Experience gained in the multiplayer simulator affects your single player character
* Fame, weapon accuracy and awareness can be improved in multiplayer
* Reaching certain levels in multiplayer triggers special missions in single player
* Billboards/news in single player game show events that occurred in multiplayer
* You age slightly while playing multiplayer creating a risk/reward scenario
* Aging very slightly decreases run/walk speed, makes you less desirable (i.e. romance becomes more difficult) and increases your chance of ED (creating hilarious alternate romance results)
* Post game content in single player to give you a reason to keep playing
* Stats have an affect on a future game

All you need is a simple deathmatch mode with a couple maps to implement this. If it is successful you can build on it post launch.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#71 shafnitz

shafnitz

G100,000 - 5/16/2014!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

Gotta put in my two cents about Alan Wake.

Spoiler

Shafnitz.png

#72 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Please enlighten me as to what it was about John Marston that was so great.

Don't take my original post the wrong way. You said you didn't like him, so don't. I couldn't care less. I just thought it was unfair to say that people who thought he was a good character "don't know what they're talking about".

I liked his dialogue, the voice work, the small insights into his character that are in the game (like when he's approached by a hooker and mentions that he's married). I liked that he had a family and a whole background separate from the game. It was a nice change of pace from earlier GTA protagonists who weren't much more than generic gangsters at the start of the game. Niko in GTA IV was somewhat of an improvement on that, but the family aspect made me relate to John a lot more than Niko. I thought he was likable and seemed like an inherently good person underneath all of his past transgressions.

But that's just me.

Edited by Fjordson, 05 June 2010 - 12:29 AM.

#73 H4Y4TO

H4Y4TO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

In my opinion, it was a good show... The cagcast and tqcast are the only podcasts that I can listen to because all the other ones sound to dry to me

I am really wanting to pick up Alan Wake...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#74 CaptNink

CaptNink

Building consensus.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

I liked his dialogue, the voice work, the small insights into his character that are in the game (like when he's approached by a hooker and mentions that he's married). I liked that he had a family and a whole background separate from the game. It was a nice change of pace from earlier GTA protagonists who weren't much more than generic gangsters at the start of the game. Niko in GTA IV was somewhat of an improvement on that, but the family aspect made me relate to John a lot more than Niko. I thought he was likable and seemed like an inherently good person underneath all of his past transgressions.

I feel the same way about the John Marston character - he is very likable. He has qualities that I like. If he were real, I think he would be a cool person to know.

Now, in a literary sense, is he a well-written, fleshed-out character? I don't know, and I don't really give two shits. I enjoyed the Marston character and that's what makes him great to me.

Another awesome CAGCAST guys! Keep up the solid work! :applause:
Posted Image]

#75 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

I feel the same way about the John Marston character - he is very likable. He has qualities that I like. If he were real, I think he would be a cool person to know.

Now, in a literary sense, is he a well-written, fleshed-out character? I don't know, and I don't really give two shits. I enjoyed the Marston character and that's what makes him great to me.

Agreed. There are definite flaws to the way R* tells a story and how they write their characters, but I still liked John /shrug

#76 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

Don't take my original post the wrong way. You said you didn't like him, so don't. I couldn't care less. I just thought it was unfair to say that people who thought he was a good character "don't know what they're talking about".

But that's just me.

Where did you get that I hate the character? My original post was directed at someone that tried to over exaggerate how well developed John Marston and the game's story was in an attempt to make Cheapy out to be an idiot.

I never said I didn't like John Marston, and I said that he was a good/cool character. He just wasn't as well put together as this clown was trying to say.

As I already said, I was completely content with the game, and I was down right giddy when...
Spoiler

Agreed. There are definite flaws to the way R* tells a story and how they write their characters, but I still liked John /shrug

...this is exactly what I was getting at with that other guy.

#77 Fluffy

Fluffy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:40 AM

Where'd it go? I'm with Ship, bring it back.

#78 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

@CheapyD Stern is off this week? Great opportunity to check out the Adam Carolla podcast/show. Teresa Strasser (kind of hot, new mom) and Bald Brian (recent cancer survivor, still slurs) are very funny sidekicks. Check out the one with the legendary Billy West.

You should almost expand your horizons from Stern if just to get yourself exposure on other podcasts/radio shows/whatever. Stern is great though.
Posted Image

#79 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

Cheapy, I too am not a fan of the 'Galaxy' series and am just tired of Mario-based games. What is the last Mario-based game you enjoyed? I last enjoyed Mario Kart DS--though I didn't prefer to race as Mario.

#80 collipop

collipop

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Eh not the best show ever, especially because i havent played alan wake so you kinda miss out on a lot of it... and am i the only one who was really disappointed that it wasnt a clip show...and does anyone else feel like cheapy is too lazy to go through with actually making one...Challenge extended cheapy, challenge extended

I wish these spoiler discussions were an extension to the cagcast instead of replacing other discussion. If you haven't played the game then you feel cheated out of half an hour of cast.

Also I was really glad this wasn't a clip show as I'm not really a fan of them.

#81 Corizzle

Corizzle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Alan Wake spoiler, although very minor.

Spoiler

Want Amazon, Paypal or Starbucks gift cards just by searching the internet? Just join swag bucks then. I have earned $140 in Amazon GCs so far.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#82 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

Alright, here is what I'm trying to say about Shipwreck. He has a bias against bad/unpopular games. Not necessarily in the sense he will rate bad games higher (which sometimes might be the case), but when discussing a poor game over a good game he'll much rather bash a good game (excessively) over berating the bad one.

I'm sure Shipwreck will give RDR the same if not a higher score than Alpha Protocol. Yet when discussing RDR there is not one positive thing said, yet when it's time to talk about Alpha he's just beaming with excitement.

I just think Ship prides himself on playing EVERYTHING and liking the uncommon title. This is just an observation, nothing serious, no hard feelings. Love the show!

Spoiler

360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#83 boyneverbored

boyneverbored

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

On Episode 201 Cheapy read a comment from a first-time listener claiming he was turned off by "the poop jokes" and that it left a bad first-impression. Well, I had the exact opposite experience.

My first episode dates back to 150-something where Cheapy discusses a poop-test trip to a Japanese doctor's office. He lamented on the unwieldy size of the poop tube and how he even got some on the tiled floor. Was it a little nasty? Sure, but with Cheapy's account came a load of humor with a coat of the real prize: honesty.

Keep it up, Cheapy. Your honesty in all that you say about your business to the hole in your underpants is well-noted. And happy 200 to the whole crew. Eff keeping it classy; just keep it honest.

#84 ultrarobotninja

ultrarobotninja

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

I was ready to hit delete 5 seconds in when I heard clip show. Wombat's voice saved the day.

P.S. I hate clip shows. :)

Me too! I almost turned off the show! Im glad I didnt thou, I thought this was a great episode.

BTW, cheapy , I just so happen to have a pretty scandalous picture of the Major and none other then Jabba the hut himself. Surely you can use this to blackmail him to get wombat and ship into the conference.
Posted Image

Edited by ultrarobotninja, 05 June 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#85 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

Seems to me, Cheapy, that you should put a poll up before you do a clip show. I for one don't really care to have one either. And I am sure that you'd rather not waste your time with one if no one wants to listen to it.

#86 MattZack

MattZack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

Here is how 3d should be done.

Posted Image

#87 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

This show seems rushed, but it was good nonetheless. Looks like you guys are more synchronized with each other now. Keep it up.
I think cheapy was kinda sad when Wombat almost didn't make it to E3 because he would not have his entourage. :)

#88 pelf21

pelf21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

Didn't shipwreck say he knew RDR was the "better" game? But he prefers Alpha Protocol.....big deal....I dont see why people are crying about it....Are you people buying games based on Ship's reviews? Without him agreeing with you, can you not sleep at night?

#89 rteg48

rteg48

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Great show but I heard you guys complain a lot about how Rockstar can't write good characters. Personally I think Niko Bellic and John Marston are some of the best adult video game characters because they seem like well round characters who have no qualms about killing people they would rather be doing something else. Where as most other "adult" characters just seem like a bunch of flat characters who are either kill happy (like Marcus from Gears) or whinny characters who cry every cut scene (like Dom from Gears). Which adult video game characters (i.e. no Mario, Link, or Sonic) do you think are the best?

#90 retromufc

retromufc

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

This episode is suggesting that they do a clip show? That would be perfect Cheap could make one long episode out of all his awkward shit humor. Sounds like a winner.\\:D/