Goldeneye out, reviews in the 9s, cold day in Hell am comfrimd?

I could forgive the shite graphics if there was even a chance it would have good, smooth online multiplay. But it won't.

I think it looks as good as The Conduit and a number of other FPS, that and its not complete yet, its only in alpha. I have faith in it, I know its popular to take a shit all over Activision, but I don't think this is one they are going to screw up.

Honestly, I'm buying it no matter what, so I'll reserve judgement until I see more.

In terms of it being Wii exclusive, a thought... Activision famously took a bath on 'Quantum of Solace', which they *fully* chalk up to the fact that it was very similar to and released around the same time as World at War. In an effort to avoid the same issue, GoldenEye is on Wii. Not only do they not have a conflict, they also have a 'shooter' game releasing on Wii (which doesn't get CoD games day-one) the same time CoD is dominating 360/PS3, maximixing Activision's November sales potential.

Honestly, though, if this is why the Live remake was scuttled, I'm not entirely happy.

[quote name='Doomed']Carry on folks. Nothing to see here.[/QUOTE]

Worth quoting. I was mildly excited to hear this news until finding out that Activision is handling the game. Flush it now.

[quote name='tcrash247']Daniel Craig? Really? fuck that.[/QUOTE]

And fuck both Activision and Nintendo for not allowing Rare to release the original version on XBLA! fuckin' @$$holes!

I didn't think it looked that bad, and we're getting it through youtube goggles, highly compressed, so maybe it looks better then it looked there. I guess we'll find out. I should note that I have never even seen the original game.

[quote name='crunchewy']I didn't think it looked that bad, and we're getting it through youtube goggles, highly compressed, so maybe it looks better then it looked there. I guess we'll find out. I should note that I have never even seen the original game.[/QUOTE]

Blasphemy! Daily Goldeneye + Mario Kart 64 battles after school back in the day was the best shit ever. I really want to see a video of this.

For the record, I'd much rather have Craig than Brosnan. What a horrible choice for Bond he was, but, then, really the problem was that the franchise should have been shut down long before either of them. Certainly before Roger Moore, give or take a movie or two.

goldeneye-007-20100615013437788_640w.jpg

[quote name='crunchewy']For the record, I'd much rather have Craig than Brosnan. What a horrible choice for Bond he was, but, then, really the problem was that the franchise should have been shut down long before either of them. Certainly before Roger Moore, give or take a movie or two.[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing, Brosnan was Bond in Goldeneye. I suppose you would just have Brosnan airbrushed out of the movie and replaced with Craig too right? Pretend Brosnan never acted as Bond in "Goldeneye".
That's what Activision is close to doing with Craig as Bond in this. It's a complete slap in the face to real Goldeneye game and movie fans.

[quote name='Sarang01']Here's the thing, Brosnan was Bond in Goldeneye. I suppose you would just have Brosnan airbrushed out of the movie and replaced with Craig too right? Pretend Brosnan never acted as Bond in "Goldeneye".
That's what Activision is close to doing with Craig as Bond in this. It's a complete slap in the face to real Goldeneye game and movie fans.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit.

This isn't Perfect Dark, or any other remake that has come before. This is a movie licence and, therefore, will always have these problems. Even if they re-released the original GoldenEye, I guarantee you that Brosnan would've been out, along with the rest of the cast. Actor licencing deals are tricky, and wouldn't have applied past that initial release. If they wanted any of the likenesses for those people (Bean, Janssen, Coltrane), too, they would've needed completely new deals, which likely wasn't financially reasonable.

This is also a trickier situation because Brosnan is, technically, the first Bond actor to be, ahem, 'let go' from the series. Everyone else made a decision on their own, but Brosnan was basically told he wasn't coming back. So, you have a guy that likely isn't very happy with the franchise, and a current actor who is hugely popular and has already signed away his likeness rights.

Whether you like or not, this, or any other re-release of GoldenEye, was never going to feature Pierce Brosnan. Me, I'd much rather have Craig than the nameless Bond of Agent Under Fire. So, look, stop with the whole 'slap in the face of *real* fans' train, because that's not what replacing Brosnan is. You want to get on them for making this instead of an HD re-release of the original? By all means, I can get behind that.

The Brosnan thing, though? Complaining for the sake of complaining.

I know it's a Wii exclusive, but here's to hoping it's just a timed exclusive and that it'll get a proper release on the PS3/360. I was a Nintendo owner from NES to Wii, but I just don't feel compelled to play the system anymore when I've got my PS3 sitting here with a backlog of games 10 deep.

Either way, I'll still at least give it a try on the Wii. If it brings back the great nostalgia of the initial release (Grenade launchers in the Complex!), I'll give it some playtime, for sure.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I know it's a Wii exclusive, but here's to hoping it's just a timed exclusive and that it'll get a proper release on the PS3/360. I was a Nintendo owner from NES to Wii, but I just don't feel compelled to play the system anymore when I've got my PS3 sitting here with a backlog of games 10 deep.

Either way, I'll still at least give it a try on the Wii. If it brings back the great nostalgia of the initial release (Grenade launchers in the Complex!), I'll give it some playtime, for sure.[/QUOTE]

I'm still of the opinion that this is the result of a deal made during the whole GoldenEye HD remake debacle. From what I read, Nintendo was balking at a lot of it, and Activision wanted to keep them happy, since they were the biggest company. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Activision looked at it and figured they could make more money doing this than letting MS release the HD remake, all while keeping Nintendo happy. That seems to be the bottom line here... keeping Nintendo happy. Plus, Activision already has billion-dollar shooter franchises on the other two consoles, so I view this as a way to get a piece of the Wii pie.

So, I wouldn't expect it to show up anywhere else. Looking at it, they'd have basically needed to make two seperate versions to do that, and there isn't much of sign of it. There may be some sort of clause that states they can release it elsewhere if sales are abyssmal, but I'd say that's likely the only shot we have.

That looks pretty fun. Destructible cover, on-rails, basically CoD with a Bond slant. Graphics look sharp too.

Only 5 maps in multiplayer though. Disappointing that they couldn't get the original actors. And infinite ammo?

I could care less which Bond is in it (unless it was Timothy Dalton, he was an awful Bond). But as excited as I want to be for this, Nintendo's online multi-player system is such a mess that it's hard to be excited about anything on that. I don't buy online games for it anymore, and probably won't unless they fix it, which at this point looks extremely unlikely.

[quote name='Erad30']I could care less which Bond is in it (unless it was Timothy Dalton, he was an awful Bond). But as excited as I want to be for this, Nintendo's online multi-player system is such a mess that it's hard to be excited about anything on that. I don't buy online games for it anymore, and probably won't unless they fix it, which at this point looks extremely unlikely.[/QUOTE]

I'll take this as a vote for Lazenby!

According to the new issue of Nintendo power both Facility and Archives will returning as multiplayer maps. The game will also feature additonal remade maps from the N64 game and new multiplayer maps.

That Gold CC Pro looks sweet. I already have the black one though from MH Tri and would probably play this game with the Wii Remote+Nunchuk.

The inclusion of Facility is awesome. I think QoS had it too.

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/gc10-goldeneye-007-nuevos-detalles-e-impresiones-5400.html
Revogamers posted a preview for the Gamescom build, along with a few pictures of the Gold CCP. The article is in Spanish, but one of the staff posted a summary at NeoGAF
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22880013&postcount=1126

Also, some screenshots of it:
http://www.revogamers.net/galerias-1604.html

- New Jungle level, set in Africa (SP). Plane crash, stealth approachig to enemies, breakable covers, use your SmartPhone to aim auto guns to enemies.
- Different enemies IA phases. Music dinamically changes depending on action-stealth moments
- Online with experience points and ranks, unlock guns.
- Wiimote + Nunchuck not yet shown, but yu'll use D pad to change weapons, tilt the Nunchuk to take a look from the corners, Wiimote movement for melee atack, buttom for reload. They say they'll have loads of config options, sensititivity and whatnot for each control scheme, including a Gamecube controller one.
- You can mix your control schemes during MP. It can be 4 Wiimote-Nunchuk or 1 Classic, 1 Wiimote, 1 Zapper, etc
- Localized VA confirmed for Euro zone, including Spanish VA.
- Time trial mode will be there.
- Golden Klobb won't exist. Golden CCPro takes the spotlight, Wii Zapper compatible.
goldeneye_classic1.jpg

Look, I'll be upfront... I'm buying this no matter what. I have to, I'm a whore. I need to make that clear.

Anyway, rant time....

So, if you're changing the main character, updating the storyline to 2010, adding new levels (Africa WTF?), and FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGING the motivations and backgrounds of basically every character except Bond... then doesn't it CEASE TO BE GOLDENEYE?

I wanted this so much to not be a cash-in on name nostalgia. GoldenEye, as a film, could've easily been the background for another very good game. As it stands, this is just some random Bond adventure with, I'm assuming, a weapon called GoldenEye in it. Sadly, that makes this kind of just as bad as 'GoldenEye: Rogue Agent'.

The update to 2010 is what really bugs me, because it means that all the characters change. Trevelyan can no longer be the child of Lienz Cossacks and have the same motivations... you can't have old Soviet generals... it fundamentally changes the fabric of the plot. Shit, when they said Zukovsky was now going to be a nightclub owner in SPAIN who wants to buy/owns a soccer team? I just. don't. fucking. get. it.

Sorry, I've been meaning to rant here for a while, I just never got around to it. I still think this has the potential to be a good game, but it seems ridiculous to me that you release two Bond games on the same day, one original and one based on a film, yet the film-based one likely has as much to do with a real film as Bloodstone does.

So, fine, throw in the facility, throw in the dam, throw in 006 (is he still Trevelyan?)... but it's still just not GoldenEye. I'm trying to be optimistic, but nothing I've read so far about the plot has done anything to ease my fears.

First, let me say I totally understand where you're coming from, 007 (most appropriate username, btw). Why call it GoldenEye when it has almost nothing to do with the movie or the N64 game?

Well, for basically the same reason they stuck GoldenEye to the Rogue Agent title. They could've called it 007 or Bond or whatever but they called it GoldenEye. I suppose to Activision the name meant more than the movie and the game: it carried a reputation as one of the groundbreaking console FPSs, four-player splitscreen, and a ton of options. You could compare it to "Legend of Zelda" having less and less to do with Zelda, but the name staying nonetheless.

To the gaming world GoldenEye means a high-quality FPS and if Activision had just polished up the old levels it would be called a lazy remake to milk an old franchise. Mention the word "GoldenEye" and a gamer would tell you about 4-player shootouts in Facility, not a satellite and a rogue 006.

Yeah, I get *why* they're doing it, but it just doesn't make me any happier about it. Plus, the bottom line is that they're trying to sell it to gamers who, well, weren't really old enough to have been into GoldenEye when it came out. Now I feel old. Crap.

The decision will always baffle me, though, as I guarantee that they could've just let the graphically enhanced, online multiplayer re-release on the 360 come out and have made just as much, if not more, money than they'll make from this. That's what bugs me the most, is knowing that if this game is beyond terrible, it's the reason that re-release will never see the light of day, even though all reports say it was basically done.

Best Game Ever. I still play it to this day and have a blast playing it. I have my Wii Modded, and have all the OG games. I still find myself going back and playing Goldeneye for hours. I do hope the re-release this so everyone can be able to play it again. I would like to see be released for the 360 in possible HD, which I heard may "still" may be in the works.

There was that "leaked" video, or was that Perfect Dark? PD has some levels from Goldeneye anyway - probably truer to the game than this.

And this game is basically Call of Duty - Goldeneye: Rouge Agent edition.

bread's done
Back