• Please log in to reply
8020 replies to this topic

#3001 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

http://www.nintendo....e-wont-transfer
What DSiWare games can be transferred to the Nintendo 3DS?

The functionality to transfer DSiWare from a Nintendo DSi to a Nintendo 3DS will become available through an update planned for the evening of June 6 Pacific time. All DSiWare games currently available will be able to transfer with the following exceptions:
Art Academy First Semester
Art Academy Second Semester
Asphalt IV
Crash-Course Domo
Earthworm Jim
Flipnote Studio
Hard-Hat Domo
Let's Golf
Nintendo DSi Browser
Oregon Trail
Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon
Pro-Putt Domo
Real Soccer 2009
Real Soccer 2010
Rock-n-Roll Domo
SUDOKU MASTER
SUDOKU SENSEI
Sudoku Student
White-Water Domo

Good deal on the DSi Front. I'll have to spend my remaining points tonight.

Little surprised about Earthword Jim, but I wonder if the listed applications are due to the dev teams not being willing to test against the 3DS firmware.

#3002 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

Wolfpup, you might as well wait. No need to force yourself to enjoy a game. E3 is less than a week away and the eShop launch is even sooner.

Yeah, but I'll have the same choice of games in a week :-/
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#3003 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, but I'll have the same choice of games in a week :-/

Wait just a touch, looks like some Fathers day deals are starting and handhelds are next, might bring the price down on a couple games to make it worth your while.

I would note I like Steel Diver a lot, but I agree that it is best purchased for under $25 and Bust a Move under $20.

#3004 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Getting a bit annoyed here personally =/. Been waiting on Best Buy to ship my BlazBlue 3DS order. 2 days after launch and they claim they have no idea when theyll get it (And according to the website theres a 2 week backorder now <_<)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3005 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

So what if you got 2 DSi, both with games on it? Would it be possible to transfer games from 2 DSi to one 3DS?

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#3006 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

My main concern is the word 'transfer'. So, the minute they're available on the 3DS, they become unplayable on my DSi?
If that's the case, I'm not interested. This was always one of the weakest things about the Nintendo offering. I have a Psp Go and a couple of regular Psp. I can activate the same game on up to 5 devices.
I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I don't want to 'transfer' anything. Just would like to play what I already own on my Dsi, on my 3DS.

#3007 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

Interesting that Art Academy won't transfer. Isn't that a first party release? DSi browser make sense, as does Flipnote since there will be updated versions of those. The Domo games make sense from a licensing standpoint, yet the weird part is that they were highlighted as DSiware releases at some point, I want to say E3 2010 or around the DSi's launch. Overall, nothing that strikes me as outrageous, since I'll get my Art Style puzzlers over.

We cannot transfer existing shop points? Didn't I hear the opposite at some point?

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#3008 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

We cannot transfer existing shop points? Didn't I hear the opposite at some point?

Don't think so. Think I remember that everyone was saying you can't transfer points since the beginning.

#3009 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Right, the new shop uses dollars instead of points.

Edited by bmachine, 04 June 2011 - 04:49 AM.

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#3010 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

It's not exactly a difficult conversion. 800 points = $8. I knew the eShop would use dollar amounts, but I could have sworn there was a way it would let you link your existing account over and run a conversion.

Whatever though.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#3011 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

My main concern is the word 'transfer'. So, the minute they're available on the 3DS, they become unplayable on my DSi?
If that's the case, I'm not interested. This was always one of the weakest things about the Nintendo offering. I have a Psp Go and a couple of regular Psp. I can activate the same game on up to 5 devices.
I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I don't want to 'transfer' anything. Just would like to play what I already own on my Dsi, on my 3DS.

That is unfortunately correct. Nintendo is getting better in terms of licensing and managing digital content, reaching an original Xbox level, but not quite Apple or Sony.

#3012 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

It's not exactly a difficult conversion. 800 points = $8. I knew the eShop would use dollar amounts, but I could have sworn there was a way it would let you link your existing account over and run a conversion.

Whatever though.

Indeed, I think the issue may be that Nintendo is moving to use Fastcard with this system, but I concede I'm not certain on that point.

#3013 io

io

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, I agree... I just started using my DSi a few weeks ago and I really like it. I only have the fighter game that uses pictures that was free for a while (sorry, don't remember what it was called) plus the 1000 points that came with the system originally. I was hoping that could transfer over as $10 or something but I guess not. I also have 4 or 5 Wii Points cards that are otherwise useless to me. I guess I'll just try to sell those on eBay and use said cash for 3DS shop stuff.

But I think I may just keep my meager single game on my DSi. I suppose I could buy some games with the 1000 points and then transfer those over. But now I'm thinking I will probably continue to use my DSi so I might as well keep them there.

I guess I have some additional questions about the transfer. Can it be done at any time in the future should I decide I want that stuff on my 3DS then (like, say, in a year?)? Will DSiware and the DSi in general still be supported or is it on its way out anyway? I know next to nothing about DSiWare but I've gathered that it has been pretty weak overall. I'm guessing we'll get some good (or at least unique) 3DS offerings from the e-shop so I will want to buy a few games for that anyway (especially given that I have yet to buy any real games for my 3DS). But I guess I don't necessarily feel the need to have my DSi stuff transfered over - at least not yet.

#3014 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

I hope this means we can transfer between 3DS any time we want!
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#3015 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

One quick final note, too... if you're only buying a 3DS *because* of the 3D, you're doing it wrong. As ridiculous as this sounds, I hate that the 3D has become the biggest talking point with this system, because it's far from the best reason to own one.

Unfortunately, I think Nintendo is to blame for this. The only real feature they touted for the 3DS was the 3D part. Even the name "3DS" puts the 3D feature as the distinguishing feature of the device. The 3D feature understandably got all of the media attention and Nintendo really didn't make any effort to promote the other unique features in the 3DS.

Also, even things like the new estore...the DSi already had this, so how is the new estore any different....other than it makes migrating your points/games over to your 3DS a PITA. Really nothing to promote here that's going to encourage DSi owners to migrate and a few things to piss them off.

I do like my 3DS, but I can completely understand all of the negative responses because they are quite valid. It IS overpriced, the 3D feature is a fun gimmick, but it is just as annoying as it is entertaining, the initial game selection was pretty crappy, battery life is poor, etc. I normally turn off the 3D feature because all too often I don't want to hold my 3DS in the sweet spot required for the 3D to work properly, and all of the game play just as well in 2D mode as in 3D (plus battery life is longer in 3D mode).

I think Nintendo should release the "2DS" for $175 or $200 if they want to keep the 3DS at $250. That's probably what they should have done from the beginning and just skipped over the 3D feature completely. I think they just got caught up in the 3D hype last year and thought they could leapfrog Sony/Apple by adding 3D when instead they ended up jumping sideways/backwards rather than forward. Not a fatal mistake, but still a mistake they will pay for in revenue.
3DS FC: 3652-0544-2057 (PM me with yours if you add me)
Posted Image

#3016 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, I'd have been a LOT more excited if it didn't have the "3D". Would love a 4.3" or larger "2D" screen.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#3017 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

How will the transfer work though? Is it through a list of things on Club Nintendo or a wireless transfer? I would like m ysave files- but I heard that that isn't possible. Rediculous.

Also, is the DSiWare shop closing on the DSi? Should I use up my points before Tuesday so I can transfer those games?

These are the games that I am currently playing:

:ps3: Batman: Arkham City

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8
:3ds: Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage

Here is a direct link to my trade list.

#3018 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Any clue if the web browser is finally going to be part of this update?

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#3019 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

I sometimes turn the 3D off if my eyes are starting to bother me but overall, I think the 3D feature is cool as hell.

If they made a DS HD, I wouldn't have bought it day 1.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3020 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

Any clue if the web browser is finally going to be part of this update?

Yeah it will be.

#3021 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

I sometimes turn the 3D off if my eyes are starting to bother me but overall, I think the 3D feature is cool as hell.

If they made a DS HD, I wouldn't have bought it day 1.

Depends what you mean by that. This same hardware but with a (hopefully larger) non "3D" screen? I would have jumped on it faster. Bought this DESPITE the "3D", and I'm not even 100% sure I can deal with the screens off or not.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#3022 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Depends what you mean by that. This same hardware but with a (hopefully larger) non "3D" screen? I would have jumped on it faster. Bought this DESPITE the "3D", and I'm not even 100% sure I can deal with the screens off or not.

the NGP is coming out. Maybe that's more to your liking.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3023 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

I think Nintendo should release the "2DS" for $175 or $200 if they want to keep the 3DS at $250. That's probably what they should have done from the beginning and just skipped over the 3D feature completely. I think they just got caught up in the 3D hype last year and thought they could leapfrog Sony/Apple by adding 3D when instead they ended up jumping sideways/backwards rather than forward. Not a fatal mistake, but still a mistake they will pay for in revenue.

I'd buy a 2DS for $180...especially if battery life is 8+ hours, and the screen a tiny bit bigger. It's crazy how much 0.3" matter, even. I'm so used to my phone's 4.3" screen, my GF's 4.0" screen looks tiny.

#3024 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

:ds: -> :3ds:
DSi to 3DS transfer details

- available June 7th
- transfer includes DSiWare games, your photo and sound data from DSi Camera and DSi Sound, and your Wi-Fi user information, including your Wi-Fi Connection ID
- DSiWare games and Wi-Fi Connection ID will be deleted from your DSi/XL
- copies of your pictures and sound data will remain in the original system
- update your 3DS to version 2.0.002 then download the free transfer app
- select to transfer individual items or transfer everything all at once
- select to transfer items from multiple DSi/XL systems on to one 3DS
- Japanese list of DSiWare that cannot be transferred
- once you've transferred data to the 3DS, it can't be moved back.
- DSiWare save data and DSi Points cannot be transferred over
- save data will be deleted from the original DSi/XL system along with the DSiWare game

#3025 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

:ds: -> :3ds:
DSi to 3DS transfer details

- available June 7th
- transfer includes DSiWare games, your photo and sound data from DSi Camera and DSi Sound, and your Wi-Fi user information, including your Wi-Fi Connection ID
- DSiWare games and Wi-Fi Connection ID will be deleted from your DSi/XL
- copies of your pictures and sound data will remain in the original system
- update your 3DS to version 2.0.002 then download the free transfer app
- select to transfer individual items or transfer everything all at once
- select to transfer items from multiple DSi/XL systems on to one 3DS
- Japanese list of DSiWare that cannot be transferred
- once you've transferred data to the 3DS, it can't be moved back.
- DSiWare save data and DSi Points cannot be transferred over
- save data will be deleted from the original DSi/XL system along with the DSiWare game

As a gamer that has bought many games from Apple iTunes store and Sony's PSN Store (which I can play on the multiple devices registered under these accounts and can easily move from one device to another as I upgrade models), I can say with a high degree of confidence that due to the incredibly stupid and restrictive approach Nintendo has chosen they won't be getting very much money form me. I never bought a DSi so I never bought any DSiWare games, but the only good thing I've heard about the 3DS estore is maybe that it "sucks less".

I won't say Nintendo's estore model is doomed to failure because there are more than enough kids that will be whining to their parents to buy them the latest downloadable game and the parents will be too distracted/uninvolved to realize that they are buying the same games over and over. But I do think it is doomed to mediocrity and will fall far short of its potential due to their incredibly hostile licensing/migration model. And people will brains will be spending their money elsewhere.

Stupid Nintendo....still got their head stuck pretty far up their ass in this area.
3DS FC: 3652-0544-2057 (PM me with yours if you add me)
Posted Image

#3026 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised about the new information. I'll keep the few games I have on my DSi where they are.
As for the new store, without any integration with any of my previous accounts, they better have some really cool stuff to entice me to spend any of my money.

#3027 io

io

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

- save data and DSi Points cannot be transferred over

Nice, so you can't transfer your saves and when you transfer the game the save gets wiped out? Awesome, Nintendo ;).

It doesn't matter to me as i've never even played the one (free) DSiWare game I ever got. But, yeah, I think I'll just keep the two separate as I do have that 1000 points on the DSi. I suppose I could buy a game or two and then transfer them over, but, meh...

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised about the new information. I'll keep the few games I have on my DSi where they are.
As for the new store, without any integration with any of my previous accounts, they better have some really cool stuff to entice me to spend any of my money.

Same here - and especially with them eliminating the points cards that means paying full retail and I pretty much won't do that unless they come out with iTunes store type pricing for the games and I really, really, doubt they will. Though wasn't there talk that there would be some sort of "cash" cards available for this store as well - but it was just different than the Wii/DSi points? If that is the case, I can still hopefully get some "cheap" credit by using gamestop credit to buy those cards - that makes it more palatable that just using a credit card directly.

#3028 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

Same here - and especially with them eliminating the points cards that means paying full retail and I pretty much won't do that unless they come out with iTunes store type pricing for the games and I really, really, doubt they will. Though wasn't there talk that there would be some sort of "cash" cards available for this store as well - but it was just different than the Wii/DSi points? If that is the case, I can still hopefully get some "cheap" credit by using gamestop credit to buy those cards - that makes it more palatable that just using a credit card directly.

They should be selling cash cards soon enough. http://www.joystiq.c...-buy-stores-in/
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#3029 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

Well I finally had enough of my loose hinge so I decided to fill out a warranty claim for service on it. When it was in the "locked" open position it would still move about 1/2" up and down. The previous games I played it wasn't very noticeable but with DoA it was getting to be unbearable. Unfortunately I'm going on a car trip this weekend so I guess I'll just deal with it for the weekend and send it in next week. Hopefully it won't be gone too long so I'll be able to partake in the e-shop...

#3030 io

io

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

They should be selling cash cards soon enough. http://www.joystiq.c...-buy-stores-in/

Nice, that article shows pictures of the cards showing up at Best Buy stores. That will work, too, as I have a $25 RZ cert that I need to use before the end of June. I almost never buy anything there so it would be perfect if I could snag a $20 3DS card and maybe some iTunes money with my RZ cert.

If they release some awesome game first thing (which is likely - seems like they'd come out of the gate strong and then let it coast for a while ;), I'd be hard-pressed to wait for the cards to show up at GS as that may take a while. Hopefully my Best Buy has them now or very soon.