Nintendo 3DS

• Please log in to reply
8073 replies to this topic

#6421 MrSneis

MrSneis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say I have since downgraded from XL to the original 3ds purple and have not regretted the decision at all!
Virtual Hydlide, Bad Dudes

#6422 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

Just wanted to chime in and say I have since downgraded from XL to the original 3ds purple and have not regretted the decision at all!

Any reason behind this decision?

I'm currently holding on to both a purple 3DS and a recently picked up red XL and I really like the bigger screen and overall build quality.

The only thing I see as a benefit for the smaller 3DS is the portability factor (smaller) and the screen looking less pixelated.

Will most likely end up selling the purple 3DS, but I am curious to why someone would prefer the smaller 3DS.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#6423 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'd be interested in a Paper Mario XL bundle, but not white. Black, please.

Crunchewy.png

#6424 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Any reason behind this decision?

I'm currently holding on to both a purple 3DS and a recently picked up red XL and I really like the bigger screen and overall build quality.

The only thing I see as a benefit for the smaller 3DS is the portability factor (smaller) and the screen looking less pixelated.

Will most likely end up selling the purple 3DS, but I am curious to why someone would prefer the smaller 3DS.

There is no point he just wanted to be different

#6425 Andami

Andami

Buy Because it's on Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Or maybe because the purple 3DS kicks ass. I wish I would have waited for that one instead of the Black one I have now.

#6426 fitch1979

fitch1979

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

I'm pulling for a Green Luigi's Mansion bundle!!

Luigi needs more love. I enjoyed the first game a lot and I'm sure this game will be even better. With updated visuals, 3D, more mansions and better gameplay this is a no brainer for me.:-#

#6427 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

I also want a "Paper Luigi" myself... Heck, most of the back story has been written and teased in the Paper Mario 100 Year Door game.

#6428 harybd

harybd

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:46 AM

I'd like to get:

-RE revelations
-Kid Icarus
-Circle pad pro xl
-Case for the xl
-MK 7
-Pokemon 2

Also, Does anyone here knows about a better battery for the Xl or a recharge unit. I just bought the 3ds XL and saw there was one from Nyko http://www.nyko.com/...ge Base for 3DS Is there going to be a similar product for the XL?

#6429 Marvelous Mark

Marvelous Mark

I love redhead maids!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

Me too! I bought a blue 3ds xl day 1. However, a week later I bought a brand new, out of box purple 3ds on Craigslist for $100. Personally, I think the original 3ds looks more sexy with the gloss & glitter, while the xl looks cheap and the color schemes suck. Also, the $100 dollar difference did not justify the upgrade to the xl, so I sold the xl on Craigslist for $195 (I paid $197 for it, but I kept the 160 Club Nintendo Coins & used up my BestBuy gift cards).

#6430 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yeah, the bigger screen is definitely nice, but the regular 3DS looks so much better. Besides, I'm already attached to it.

#6431 MrSneis

MrSneis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Great Price on the cl purple 3ds! Lame color choices aside, I don't like how cheap the xl feels in my hands. The back cover flex was quite evident on my unit and the finish while decent felt sweaty to me. I could easily see the paint wearing down fast for some gamers. Not only volume but the speakers were notably crappy Imo as well, they sounded like they clipped or something, not that the og speakers were anything special to begin. Cramping may have been reduced but not by any significant amount Imo. The big screens and battery were nice though I admit.

#6432 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I love my XL, but the speakers absolutely suck. I played my DSi the other day, and it sounded like a huge surround sound system compared to the XL.

#6433 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Was at the Nintendo World Store today and checked out the XL. The blue looked better than in pictures. So that's good. However I was disappointed that, to my eyes at least, the sweet spot seemed absolutely no better. I wasn't expecting that. Shifting even slightly left or right gave a bothersome shimmering effect, for lack of a better word. With the 3D off the display was noticeably more pixely. I was left unsure if I'd want an XL for myself. It's probably more comfortable, though.

Crunchewy.png

#6434 MrSneis

MrSneis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

I really wish they would make a new 2-d Castlevania game for 3ds. I think that would be pretty badass.

#6435 Carbonite

Carbonite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

I really wish they would make a new 2-d Castlevania game for 3ds. I think that would be pretty badass.

They are. Its in 3d but its still a side scroller. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate.

Recently pushed to Q1 2013 though. Was supposed to be out by Christmas I think.

Castlevania is very very close to the only reason I buy Nintendo Handhelds.

http://www.konami.com/games/cvlosmof/

#6436 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

That's still the dumbest name for a Castlevania game yet, which is really saying something.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#6437 Carbonite

Carbonite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

That's still the dumbest name for a Castlevania game yet, which is really saying something.

If you look at the box art it makes a bit more sense. The first part signifies its in the vein of lords of shadow. The second part is specifically for this game. As if Castkevania Lords of Shadow were the franchise name and not just castlrvania.

But yeah silly.

#6438 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

It's not the traditional Castlevania style game like on DS. More of a beat-em-up.

#6439 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Finished NSMB2, and it was a lot of fun. Not as good as 3D Land, but still a solid Mario romp.

Just started replaying Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on the 3DS XL and am greatly enjoying the bigger screens. The 3DS Castlevania coming out next year is supposed to appeal to Metroidvania fans... according to the devs at least.

#6440 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

The first thing I thought of was the old Castlevania greatest hits box in the Xzibit vein. Something about the franchise methinks.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#6441 200STM

200STM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

I am halfway done with beating super mario land 3d and I am having a blast! Has anypony here ever played the DS Snowboard Kids game? I recently picked up the first game on N64 and was wondering how the anime ds game is?

#6442 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

After picking up the 3DS and playing with it for the past couple of weeks I find the console pleasantly enjoyable.

I played through and beat Super Mario Land (still have to collect all the hidden star coins and finish the last world), played through a few hours of Mario Kart, and powered through LOZ: OoT (currently at the shadow temple). These 3 games alone have been a blast to play.

Still have to try out and play through Kingdom Hearts and Tales of the Abyss and I can't wait for Animal Crossing next year.

Even after I finish my current games I can still pick up Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, NSMB2, and Star Fox. Eventually I can add Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 to that list as well. I'm actually suprised that the system has a lot of games that interest me which is a huge improvement coming from the Vita.

Also picked up an XL and the games really do pop out and feel like a console experience with the larger screen. I can play the XL comfortably farther away from my face, and the matte border around the screens is a great touch as it prevents sun glare. I love the improved feel of the start/home buttons as well. The two things that I like more about the original 3DS hovever is the charging dock (genius idea from Nintendo, so simple to just drop in the console to charge) and the speakers on the original are a tad louder than the XL. Overall, for me the XL is a better experience and I'm glad I got one.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#6443 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

huge improvement coming from the Vita.

Couldn't agree more. Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware, but the game selection is abysmal. Even though it had one of the worst launch lineups I've seen in years, I expected there to be a steady flow of awesome games because everyone seemed so excited about it, but it already feels like it's almost as dead as the PSP. Getting it is one of my biggest regrets of the year. I mean, I was going to eventually get it no matter what, but I wish I would've saved my GameStop credits to get a Wii U instead.

3DS, however, is a different story. I got it Day 1 and even with the price drop and the release of the XL, I'm still very pleased with my purchase. Sure, I wish I would've waited for the price drop, but I still feel like it's worth what I paid.

#6444 Marvelous Mark

Marvelous Mark

I love redhead maids!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

Still have to try out and play through Kingdom Hearts and Tales of the Abyss...

I just picked up Tales of the Abyss on Sunday and I'm enjoying it (Mieu is so adorable). The gameplay reminds me of Final Fantasy 12, which I also enjoyed.

#6445 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I just picked up Tales of the Abyss on Sunday and I'm enjoying it (Mieu is so adorable). The gameplay reminds me of Final Fantasy 12, which I also enjoyed.

I put a few hours into it and I am really enjoying it as well. I like how they included all the voice acting dialogue from the PS2 version. The battle system feels almost identical to Tales of Symphonia (one of my favorite games on the Gamecube) and yeah Mieu is freaking hilarious. I really didn't care for Luke at first but he is starting to grow on me. Great game so far.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#6446 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

So I'm thinking of getting my daughter a 3ds. She's had her dslite for almost 4 years now, so it's time for an upgrade. Any word on Nintendo stopping production of the original 3DS models? I don't like the look and feel of the XLs and I know she would prefer the purple model anyway.

#6447 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

So I'm thinking of getting my daughter a 3ds. She's had her dslite for almost 4 years now, so it's time for an upgrade. Any word on Nintendo stopping production of the original 3DS models? I don't like the look and feel of the XLs and I know she would prefer the purple model anyway.

I doubt they will stop selling the smaller model. Not everybody wants a jumbo-sized portable.

Crunchewy.png

#6448 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Nintendo announced on a Nintendo Direct Mini last night that they're going to bring older games to the eShop in Japan. I imagine Europe and North America will follow suit but I doubt a ND is necessary.

The games are:
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7
- Mario Tennis Open
- Mario and Sonic at the 2012 Olympic Games
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Pilotwings Resort
- The 3D Encyclopedia of Flora an Fauna

All of these will be full price except for the last one. If they release Pilotwings Resort at full price here, Nintendo is incredibly stupid. Then again they're releasing it at full price to begin with.

It makes me a bit wary of Nintendo's eShop plans though, considering that if one were going to go digital for their games, you'd lose all of your save file progress since it's on the Game Cart.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#6449 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

All 3 of the new 3DS bundles announced for Japan look amazing. I think I'm finally FINALLY going to bite on a pure black Monster Hunter bundle...around the new year anyways...

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#6450 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

All 3 of the new 3DS bundles announced for Japan look amazing. I think I'm finally FINALLY going to bite on a pure black Monster Hunter bundle...around the new year anyways...

Too bad they're region locked, else I'd get a Japanese one.