Nintendo 3DS

• Please log in to reply
8033 replies to this topic

#6721 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

The green health pools and range attacks are all carry over from the C:LoS game that came out a few years ago. It's a blatent rip off of the hack&slash style, but it was fun.
Spoiler

#6722 humidore

humidore

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just got a 3DS XL and was surprised StreetPass is not like Near on the PS Vita where instances of people's online activity is saved with location data. So you kind of "check in" and get the recent goodies/user info from everyone who played in that area. Granted there's no persistent stuff to do with the feature like puzzle pieces or Mii Plaza. I was just hoping I didn't need to physically pass by someone who has their system at that moment, but overall it's a fun little system.

#6723 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

After Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, I guess it was only a matter of time before they announced something similar for Devil Survivor 2.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=517794
At a pre-screening event for the Devil Survivor 2 anime, Atlus officially announced Devil Survivor 2 Break Record for the 3DS. Not much info about it though, just that it would contain some new story content.

Edited by Cao Cao, 03 March 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#6724 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Just got a 3DS XL and was surprised StreetPass is not like Near on the PS Vita where instances of people's online activity is saved with location data. So you kind of "check in" and get the recent goodies/user info from everyone who played in that area. Granted there's no persistent stuff to do with the feature like puzzle pieces or Mii Plaza. I was just hoping I didn't need to physically pass by someone who has their system at that moment, but overall it's a fun little system.

That's how Near works? I can't figure that shit out at all. Nintendo had the right idea, I think, it takes 5 minutes to figure out Street Pass and then games actually get things from it (high score challenges, etc.) in addition to the puzzles and Find Mii.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#6725 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

That's how Near works? I can't figure that shit out at all. Nintendo had the right idea, I think, it takes 5 minutes to figure out Street Pass and then games actually get things from it (high score challenges, etc.) in addition to the puzzles and Find Mii.

You get stuff from Near as well, like costumes, weapons, things like that. I like that they're far easier and more possible to get from people too since you don't need to walk by them.

I like Street Pass as well, but my problem is after about a year and a half I've only gotten 1 street pass.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#6726 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

I had no idea how Near works either (still don't, really) and I certainly didn't know that you get stuff from it. Whenever I use it, it shows one or two people and tells me what game they last played and I think that's about it. Everything about that app is confusing to me, especially the UI.

#6727 dallow

dallow

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Near is better with a big friends list. I trade items all the time with it. Getting items from strangers in Near is more a bonus.

#6728 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I had no idea how Near works either (still don't, really) and I certainly didn't know that you get stuff from it. Whenever I use it, it shows one or two people and tells me what game they last played and I think that's about it. Everything about that app is confusing to me, especially the UI.

It basically lookups all of the recent location updates within a certain radius and shows you where they were at around you, what they've played, and a couple of those game lists have gifts attached to them. The present button has all of the gifts from your PSN friends for various games, which you can set to automatically download things for games you own.

Near is basically what StreetPass stuff would be like if it were contained in one app and done via SpotPass so you didn't need to physically come into close contact with other 3DS owners.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#6729 200STM

200STM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

I was confused about NEAR as well, thanks FriskyTanuki for the info on it. I am playing pokemon white v2 again going to try to finish it before pokemon X chromosome and Y chromosome come out

#6730 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Okay, finished the Castlevania demo. People who want a 2D combat-intensive game will probably enjoy it, but quick-time boss fights on a handheld are just a terrible, derivative, uninteresting idea to me. I realize the original Lords of Shadow played much the same way, but it feels more forgiving in a 3D space. This game is trying to emulate the look of other 2D Castlevania's but clearly has nothing to do with them.

I think there's room for both kinds of games, but it looks like this is the direction of the series for the time being and that's a major bummer.

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

#6731 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

I don't mind QTEs on a handheld, but rapid button presses on a handheld (particularly one that needs to be held at a particular angle to look good) are not welcome.
Spoiler

#6732 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

It basically lookups all of the recent location updates within a certain radius and shows you where they were at around you, what they've played, and a couple of those game lists have gifts attached to them. The present button has all of the gifts from your PSN friends for various games, which you can set to automatically download things for games you own.

Near is basically what StreetPass stuff would be like if it were contained in one app and done via SpotPass so you didn't need to physically come into close contact with other 3DS owners.

Ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying that. That kinda explains why I've had so much more success with StreetPass: I don't have PSN friends! Well, I have two, but neither of them own a Vita. And since the Vita is more expensive, not so many people around here have it. It probably also doesn't help that I only turn it on every few weeks. My 3DS, on the other hand, is always with me, so I usually meet at least one person when I go out (in fact, I got one StreetPass at our tiny zoo today).

#6733 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

Ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying that. That kinda explains why I've had so much more success with StreetPass: I don't have PSN friends! Well, I have two, but neither of them own a Vita. And since the Vita is more expensive, not so many people around here have it. It probably also doesn't help that I only turn it on every few weeks. My 3DS, on the other hand, is always with me, so I usually meet at least one person when I go out (in fact, I got one StreetPass at our tiny zoo today).

They don't need to be on your friends list for Near, it can help though. When I'm on Near I can see a bunch of people that aren't on my friends list. A lot of them have tried to add me though. Getting a friend request that says "I live close to you" can be kinda creepy though :lol:

#6734 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

Okay, finished the Castlevania demo. People who want a 2D combat-intensive game will probably enjoy it, but quick-time boss fights on a handheld are just a terrible, derivative, uninteresting idea to me. I realize the original Lords of Shadow played much the same way, but it feels more forgiving in a 3D space. This game is trying to emulate the look of other 2D Castlevania's but clearly has nothing to do with them.

I think there's room for both kinds of games, but it looks like this is the direction of the series for the time being and that's a major bummer.

I passed by that one area and I could already tell there would be a lot of back tracking. One door only opened for dark magic one only for light but the game was fun I'll rent it and buy it from gamefly if I like it

#6735 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

They don't need to be on your friends list for Near, it can help though. When I'm on Near I can see a bunch of people that aren't on my friends list. A lot of them have tried to add me though. Getting a friend request that says "I live close to you" can be kinda creepy though :lol:

The people near you on the map don't need to be your friends, but there's also a list of gifts directly from your friends that can be filled with stuff if you have more people on your list.

#6736 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Managed to get my first two streetpasses today. Went to Gamestop and then a Mexican restaurant. Based on the time, I got one in each. Even better that my Mii's greeting is Que Pasa.

Still impressed by the 3D after a week. Fire Emblem looks absolutely fantastic.

Currently playing:

GTA V

ME3MP 
Fire Emblem: Awakening

#6737 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Oh yeah, I get that they don't have to be on my friends list; I just mentioned it because there isn't really anybody nearby who owns a Vita so I don't usually find any strangers. I live in a relatively poor neighborhood in a relatively poor city. And I only have the WiFi version, so it's no good on the go (hotspots aren't exactly common here). But yeah, I can totally see that being kinda creepy. I run into something similar with a couple of the location-based Windows Phone apps I use like Qonqr and Outsider.

#6738 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

I ended up canceling my castlevania preorder. I was thinking about it and I realized I just did not care for the new style. I mean the old style of games were good because they were platformers. Then we have the metroidvanias which were great action like rpg games.

This is just a generic 2D brawler with a map system. I think I will wait till it gets sub $20 level.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#6739 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Seemed like there was platforming in it to me.

I'm pretty excited for it personally. I loved Lords of Shadow and I enjoyed the demo for this.

#6740 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Got another display model StreetPass today, so that continues the trend of taking my 3DS everywhere and getting no legit tags. :-(

#6741 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

I actually got my first girl on streetpass when I was out today, I know it happened in Target but it wasn't the demo unit because the demo unit had style savvy in it and this person was playing Mario Party. I also got the demo unit which was called Mii when I was there last time, at least I assume it was the demo unit. I am having trouble streetpassing a demo unit in a GS, I cleared out the Mii's this time so hopefully next time I go by it I can get it. I know it is working since there are other Mii's on it.

#6742 xtreme_Zr2

xtreme_Zr2

Mr. Sonny Crockett

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

How do you know if its the display model streetpass?

#6743 dallow

dallow

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

Got one at the grocery store today. First time I took it out in a month. :)

#6744 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

The tag line it gives you when you meet it usually says "I'm Target Store #123!".
Spoiler

#6745 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

The tag line it gives you when you meet it usually says "I'm Target Store #123!".

Not if somebody changes it. I changed the local Target's to "Pokemon X & Y!"

I used to have 3 DSs for tagging, but TRU got rid of theirs for some reason and Best Buy refuses to turn theirs on after remodeling. Sad.

#6746 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I would assume the demo units would have the last game played as the cart that is in the demo unit at the time you pass it.

#6747 humidore

humidore

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Using both a Vita and 3DS now, i really wish one of them pulled together features of the other (i dont care which did it now that I own both systems). Basically Near let's you see people playing around you better, but it's less impactful. StreetPass has games and achievements to customize your avatar, but you can't see where people are playing and you have to have a chance moment where someone else close by also has their system.

You take Near's location data saving and ability to see a map of where you and someone else connected and roll in those meta games and you're golden!

As it is, I'll have to swing by GDC to really take advantage of StreetPass for the year...

#6748 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Because the name of the Mii is a fake name that is either the name of the store or some stupid word that some customer used to make a Mii for it.

I've got two named "gamestop", one named "Target Guy", and one named "Football:]"

Picked up a 32 GB SD card for my 3DS so I don't need to worry about space anymore.

#6749 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Picked up a 32 GB SD card for my 3DS so I don't need to worry about space anymore.

Can you just copy the SD card in the 3DS right to the new one or is there some transfer process?

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#6750 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

It requires copying the old card's contents to a PC with a card reader, formatting the new card correctly, and then copying all of the contents to the new card.