I hate Nintendo's franchises.
I don't like motion control.
I think 3D is a gimmick.

Should I buy the 3DS?

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#992 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:53 AM

Hey guys, help me out here.

I think 3D is a gimmick.

Should I buy the 3DS?

Yeah you should. Wanna know why? Kingdom Hearts. The best RPG known to man.

#993 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:54 AM

Motion control and 3D are gimmicks, but nobody here has said they don't like Nintendo's franchises.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#994 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:42 AM

Maybe I missed this discussion, so sorry if this is a rehash, but launch day game purchases for everyone? I'll probably be playing Okamiden and Black/White mostly but I need at least one 3DS game to fiddle around with. I want Nintendogs, but at $40 I'm more hesitant since it's probably not going to be much more interesting than the first one was, and I played that to death. I'm thinking Samurai Warriors and maybe SSIV (never played it on any console :x).

I'm definitely getting Nintendogs. I'm debating getting Bust-a-Move Universe too, but I think I'll end up just sticking with Nintendogs and trading for the rest down the road. I've got Golden Sun and Ghost Trick in my backlog, not to mention I'm trying to finish the storyline in DQIX.

So yeah, likely just Nintendogs for the launch.

#995 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:55 AM

I don't know if anyone will have an answer, but do you guys think any place will still be taking pre-orders around the 14th of this month?

#996 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

I would think all units would be accounted for at this point... Why would you wait until then anyway? An Amazon preorder doesn't cost a dime til it ships.

#997 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

I would think all units would be accounted for at this point... Why would you wait until then anyway? An Amazon preorder doesn't cost a dime til it ships.

I pre-ordered on Amazon weeks ago just in case, but I may be getting some Walmart gift cards from a relative and using those would be preferable to paying actual money. Putting in an order on the Walmart site today (without finalizing it, of course) still lists it as being shipped out at release.

#998 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:39 AM

Motion control and 3D are gimmicks, but nobody here has said they don't like Nintendo's franchises.

Yep, that's about where I stand. Well, with a small exception to Motion Controls. I think most games implement them in a gimmicky fashion, but there are some that truly benefit from it. Hard for me to call it completely a gimmick.

My point (if I have one) is that I liked the DS because of the software itself, not because of the hardware. It's why I try to be unfazed when it comes to hardware specs and crap. It doesn't matter if the system has the best processor in the world if no developer ever makes something enjoyable with it.

#999 dallow

dallow

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

I'm sold on Pilotwings Resort finally after more detailed reviews, so that plus Steel Diver and SSFIV for me.
Bust A Move on clearance.

Hey guys, help me out here.

I think 3D is a gimmick.

Should I buy the 3DS?

Hmmm not sure, but you should definitely keep posting about it.

#1000 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'm definitely getting Pilotwings and Steel Diver at launch. I *might* get Nintendogs if there's absolutely nothing else to play but I am leaning against it as I think Pilotwings will easily become a game I just pick up and play around with aside from advancing game goals. Any news on the initial 3DSware offerings? A VC games list perhaps?

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#1001 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

All I know of is the initial Game Gear games: Sonic and Tails 2, Sonic Drift 2, Columns, The GG Shinobi, and Dragon Crystal: Shirani's Maze.

I imagine it'll launch with Zelda: Link's Awakening, if only because it's been heavily pimped thus far as an example of the service and would make a nice side-by-side release to the OOT remake.

I want to find out what the 3D Classics fully entails. Straight NES ports with 3D effects? Or maybe they'll update graphics? Eager to hear more about those.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#1002 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Dragon Crystal looks interesting, but perhaps too dated for me to enjoy.

I remember playing Columns a lot when I had my Game Gear, but I doubt I would get it again. There's just so many superior jewel-matching games now.

As for Zelda: Link's Awakening? As I've never played it, I do believe I would leap to have it on 3DS. I've always enjoyed the home console Zelda's a lot, but I've never gotten into the handheld ones. It's just so hard to go from Windwaker and Twilight Princess to the DS games. The console games are just. so. beautiful.

Edited by utopianmachine, 04 March 2011 - 01:15 PM.

#1003 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

As for Zelda: Link's Awakening? As I've never played it, I do believe I would leap to have it on 3DS. I've always enjoyed the home console Zelda's a lot, but I've never gotten into the handheld ones. It's just so hard to go from Windwaker and Twilight Princess to the DS games. The console games are just. so. beautiful.

You are seriously missing out and I wouldn't wait for it on the 3DS - I'd go play it NOW. Link's Awakening is one of the best games ever made on any platform ever. The Oracle games are fantastic too. The DS games and Minish Cap are OK - good games in their own right but they can't even sniff the greatness of the GB/GBC Zeldas.

I just finished Link's Awakening about a month ago (yet again) and I'm in the 5th dungeon in Oracle of Ages now (yet again). I still play through these games every so often - they are that good.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1004 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

I just finished Link's Awakening about a month ago (yet again) and I'm in the 5th dungeon in Oracle of Ages now (yet again). I still play through these games every so often - they are that good.

I always wanted to play Oracles too. I don't suppose either of these games are downloadable via DSi? I can't remember, but I don't think classics are really on there. That's probably more a Virtual Console thing.

#1005 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Link's Awakening is pretty good, and the only portable Zelda I like at all (though I've yet to play the newest train based one....I ended up buying it despite the likelihood I'll hate it, as it plummeted from $30ish to <$15 a few weeks after it came out, and I couldn't resist just because of the Zelda name...hey, I'm hoping for the best, and like trains at least, so...)
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#1006 muumuu

muumuu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Got my 3ds from NCSX yesterday. Could have canceled against the price-gouging, but what the heck -- been a while since I got a worthwhile gadget and I wasn't spending any money on audio equipment this month. Just bought Layton and Musou, since my primary interest was to get the JP games and avoid awful voiceovers on US releases.

The 3D imagery works very well. It's true that the image can lose focus easily, but it's just as easy to get back. I didn't find the blurred image when I lost focus to be much of a nuisance, though this will depend a lot on the user. I was surprised (more surprised that I don't think I've seen this really mentioned in previews) that you can see 3D from an angle, long as you were in the sweet spot there as well; you basically have a ~6deg good sweet spot to view the 3D from, every 10~15 degrees or so. That said, while games look great they still need to work on the whole 3D thing -- Layton looks a lot like those pop-out books; open-environment games like Musou don't lend to good 3d imagery (anything at a distance needs to be flat), and while they did a good job @ keeping the main game looking natural 3D the pop-outs when you beat the level and the demo scenes can seem a bit excessive. Closed-environment games like RE will probably get the biggest benefit from going 3D. Is 3D still a gimmick? Yes. Will I turn it off? Hell no, and the more the devs learn the system, all the less reasons to do so.

The biggest surprise IMHO was in the audio. The phantom surround does a super job at positioning sound (no small thanks to the fact that you're trying to keep a good position on the 3DS for its 3D effect), and effectively makes you forget that the speakers are still just tinny portable-speakers. Very cool, and again, horror games like RE will probably make the most use out of it. Too bad it doesn't work in conjunction w/ hp output (either that or I haven't found the setting for it yet).

#1007 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Link's Awakening is pretty good, and the only portable Zelda I like at all (though I've yet to play the newest train based one....I ended up buying it despite the likelihood I'll hate it, as it plummeted from $30ish to <$15 a few weeks after it came out, and I couldn't resist just because of the Zelda name...hey, I'm hoping for the best, and like trains at least, so...)

Save for the Pipes instrument, Spirit Tracks is quite fun, although one of the final bosses seems to venture towards luck rather than skill to beat, an oddity for Zelda games.

#1008 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

I imagine it'll launch with Zelda: Link's Awakening, if only because it's been heavily pimped thus far as an example of the service and would make a nice side-by-side release to the OOT remake.

I want to find out what the 3D Classics fully entails. Straight NES ports with 3D effects? Or maybe they'll update graphics? Eager to hear more about those.

That's multiple playthroughs right there. Link's Awakening is gaming perfection. I, too, have high hopes for the 3d classics...I'm sure I'll be picking a few of those up down the line.

You are seriously missing out and I wouldn't wait for it on the 3DS - I'd go play it NOW. Link's Awakening is one of the best games ever made on any platform ever. The Oracle games are fantastic too. The DS games and Minish Cap are OK - good games in their own right but they can't even sniff the greatness of the GB/GBC Zeldas.

Agreed. Link's Awakening is so good, in fact, that I even tracked down a copy of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naruand played it to completion. So good.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#1009 LoveDragonDon

LoveDragonDon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Anyone know where the BEST deal is for this???

Target offers $5 if you pre-order, but what other stores offer anything better?

#1010 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Agreed. Link's Awakening is so good, in fact, that I even tracked down a copy of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naruand played it to completion. So good.

Dang, there are probably so many games like that that never made it here, or that I missed, that I'd love to get to play.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#1011 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Damn - I never even heard of that. Looks good though. Is it playable if you don't know any Japanese? I'll put it on my PSP tonight if that is the case...

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1012 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

I would say no without a guide. I played through it when I still had a fair grasp on basic Japanese (long since rotted away) and had a strategy guide at my side. If you can play this with a guide in front of you then go for it!

Apparently there is a translation project underway but it won't be out for a while.

Dang, there are probably so many games like that that never made it here, or that I missed, that I'd love to get to play.

This has been my almost universal gripe with Nintendo since the advent of the internet. There are just so many amazing Japan only games that I wish Nintendo would bring overseas. I understand that the development process is very 'Japanese' so a lot of stuff isn't translatable but man, it still stings like a Mother.

#1013 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

I must be the only person who detested spirit tracks.

They took everything I hated about phantom hourglass and expanded it, while removing a great deal of freedom in the overworld - the entire travel system in the game was literally on-rails... to me it felt like they removed a huge part of what makes zelda great and fun.

#1014 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

I must be the only person who detested spirit tracks.

They took everything I hated about phantom hourglass and expanded it, while removing a great deal of freedom in the overworld - the entire travel system in the game was literally on-rails... to me it felt like they removed a huge part of what makes zelda great and fun.

Not the only one. First Zelda I didn't finish (youtubed the ending, clearly didn't miss anything, lol). Seriously, what a shitty shitty game. I then proceded to play Awakening DX, and all was right in the portable world :D

I really would love for Capcom to be put back on the Zelda portable games. Ages, Seasons, and Minish Cap were all fantastic games.

Edit: thanks for the opinions Muumuu, I'm surprised I haven't seen more import opinions around the net (not that I've looked).
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#1015 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

...it still stings like a Mother.

What you did there. I see it.

More top-down 2D zeldas without any fancy stylus controls or whatever would be awesome. I still have my copies of Oracle of Ages and Minish Cap. I know I had Link's Awakening at one point, but I guess I sold it some time ago. Oh, the stupidity of youth.

This thread also reminds me that I really need to playthrough Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess soon...I've started each numerous times, but never finished.

#1016 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

Has anyone here downloaded Looksley's Lineup, the DSiware game? I was just wondering if anyone can compare the 3D effect that game offers to the 3DS. Looksley's Lineup was sooo frustrating to find a good angle on 3D. I know it's a different system and specs and all -- just looking for a comparison.

#1017 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

I couldn't agree more. Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, ever. It captures simplicity of the original game's art style since it's still an 8-bit title, but much more refined - the way you'd expect LttP to look if it was de-made for the NES. The music has some great original tunes and interpretations of other Zelda music, and the 2Dish-style dungeon portions recapture some of the feel of Zelda 2 without changing or complicating the basic gameplay.

The cameos of Chain-Chomps and Goombas really add some charm, too. Play it! ASAP!
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#1018 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

Le sigh, just canceled my preorder. Just can't justify it to only play DS games when I have a perfectly fine DSL. Saw on Eurogamer that OoT is supposed to release in June, so maybe I'll likely pick one up then just because I'm a slut for OoT :D
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#1019 Trillian

Trillian

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

This has been my almost universal gripe with Nintendo since the advent of the internet. There are just so many amazing Japan only games that I wish Nintendo would bring overseas. I understand that the development process is very 'Japanese' so a lot of stuff isn't translatable but man, it still stings like a Mother.

Yeah, I'm with you there. If only import games weren't so expensive and time-consuming to work through, I'd do it more.

Really wishing the 3DS wasn't region-locked, since I can't justify the expense of a Japanese model along with a US model. I'm hoping that the 3DS will at least let me play my Japanese DS games, but I haven't heard if that will work either way.

#1020 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

Really wishing the 3DS wasn't region-locked, since I can't justify the expense of a Japanese model along with a US model. I'm hoping that the 3DS will at least let me play my Japanese DS games, but I haven't heard if that will work either way.

Ouch, that would be an expensive purchase right now, what with the import cost of a Japanese 3DS. If I understood Japanese, I'd be torn too, what with all the great stuff Japan gets first, or only.