Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I had an uprising in my pants when I saw Kid Icarus Uprising lol. It looks very good in terms of physical appearance. I can't wait to see more.

Some Specs
http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/

Size (when closed):
Approximately 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, 0.8 inches tall.

Weight:
Approximately 8 ounces.

Look:
Final design is TBA.

Top Screen:
3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).

Touch Screen:
3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution with a touch screen.

Cameras:
One inner camera and two outer cameras with 640x480 (0.3 Mega) pixel resolution.

Pre-Installed Software:
TBA

Nintendo 3DS Game Card:
2 GB Max. at launch.

Wireless Communication:
Can communicate in the 2.4 GHz band. Multiple Nintendo 3DS systems can connect via a local wireless connection to let users communicate or enjoy competitive game play. Systems also can connect to LAN access points to access the Internet and allow people to enjoy games with others. Will support IEEE 802.11 with enhanced security (WPA/WPA2). Nintendo 3DS hardware is designed so that even when not in use, it can automatically exchange data with other Nintendo 3DS systems or receive data via the Internet while in sleep mode.

Game Controls:
Touch screen, embedded microphone, A/B/X/Y face buttons, + Control Pad, L/R buttons, Start and Select buttons, "Slide Pad" that allows 360-degree analog input, one inner camera, two outer cameras, motion sensor and a gyro sensor.

Other Input Controls:
3D Depth Slider to adjust level of 3D effect (can be scaled back or turned off completely depending on the preference of the user), Home button to call system function, Wireless switch to turn off wireless communications (even during game play), Power button. The telescoping stylus is approximately 4 inches when fully extended.

Input/Output:
A port that accepts both Nintendo 3DS game cards and game cards for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems, an SD memory card slot, an AC adapter connector, a charging cradle terminal and a stereo headphone output jack.

Sound:
Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen.

Battery:
Lithium ion battery details TBA.

Languages:
TBA

Parental Controls:
Parental controls similar to the Nintendo DSi system will be included.

Pictures:

featured_hardware1.jpg

featured_hardware2.jpg

blue.jpg

red.jpg

black.jpg

...I suggest going to the Nintendo site as well. The Kid Icarus trailer is up!

I'm excited about this, but am also horribly disappointed in the form factor. It's sleek, but with edges like that, it's going to be near impossible to put some sort of protective shell around it. And something that glossy DEMANDS a shell.

Rumor: Zelda Ocarina of Time remake coming to the 3DS, alongside Star Fox 64 Remake.

Remaking arguably the best games in their respective series? I think I could survive on happiness alone for the next few days, eschewing food and drink for pure elation.

[quote name='Strell']Rumor: Zelda Ocarina of Time remake coming to the 3DS[/QUOTE]

Wow. If so, count me in. Greatest game of all time.

I like the teal color. If it's more than 2 bills, I might pass, but hopefully it'll be less than that. (A LOT less, in my perfect world. $150 is about the max I'd ideally spend on a handheld.)

Probably a day one purchase though, if it's as freakin' awesome as it sounds. Now I just need to know when.

[quote name='Strell']Rumor: Zelda Ocarina of Time remake coming to the 3DS, alongside Star Fox 64 Remake.

Remaking arguably the best games in their respective series? I think I could survive on happiness alone for the next few days, eschewing food and drink for pure elation.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo just set the date I'm forced to buy a new system. I was going to try holding off with the regular ds for a bit, but if they do either of these I'm getting a 3DS the day they come out.

.3 megapixels?!?!?!?!? Sure I don't expect an 8mp on that thing, but how shitty is the 3d picture taking going to be at that res? come on Nintendo!

fuck, and here was hoping for a Gamecube drive for BC :(

looks like i found what my graduation money is going towards...

edit: please let there be a gameboy color neon green colored 3ds!!!!:drool: if not i will prolly just get the blue one

Looking pretty awesome. I'm gonna need to know the launch games, the price, and the online features/capabilities before I day one this, though.

The hands-on video above is amazing. I've had a perpetual smile on my face since I started reading about everything an hour ago. I'm so stoked for Kid Icarus Uprising, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs + Cats, Assassin's Creed, and Paper Mario. I would be absolutely blown away if ALL these games are launch games.

I highly doubt they will launch with that entire lineup. Expect one big title from Nintendo, a few smaller titles, some shovelware from Ubisoft, and maybe 1-2 truly good third party games.

There's no way they'd dump all of those at once. They'd cut into the sales of each other. Better to space it out.

I really hope they did blueweltall... I really do. I want this so badly, first handheld I've actually wanted to buy.

[quote name='Strell']I highly doubt they will launch with that entire lineup. Expect one big title from Nintendo, a few smaller titles, some shovelware from Ubisoft, and maybe 1-2 truly good third party games.

There's no way they'd dump all of those at once. They'd cut into the sales of each other. Better to space it out.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying. I would hope that Kid Icarus Uprising would be a launch title, but I could see Nintendo going with more popular franchises, like Nintendogs+Cats and Paper Mario. Anyway, my hope is Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus.

[quote name='budsmoka']I love all 3 colors. After I get my new tv I'm buying this, hopefully day one.[/QUOTE]

I'm all over Teal. But I tend to skin my systems, so I suppose black would make sense... We'll just have to see when more pics are released.

[quote name='blueweltall']Did they ever release a time frame on when we might expect the 3DS to be release?[/QUOTE]

I believe it comes out late this year in Japan. The expectation is that it'll launch next year, earlyish.

bread's done
Back