Photo
- - - - -

Journey: ThatGameCompany's new game

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Well, almost a year later I finally got around to playing the CE version today and what a treat. I was shocked how active it still is as I had a partner for every level, eight in all after the credits rolled (mostly because PSN disconnected me twice -_-). I really dug how you could feed off each other's energy for some air acrobatics or juggling each other to reach a platform with a glyph/symbol. From the art to the minimalist story/gameplay, it's just a masterpiece in imagination.

Truly a game to pick up when you're feeling down, because it warms the heart.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#62 bkjohns1

bkjohns1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I was playing on the 19th as well. I had someone in every level. Finally got the meditation trophy; for me everybody would runoff when I pressed select and sat down for this trophy. I only have one trophy remaining: meet 10+ players.
bkjohns1.pngsig.gif
My goal for 2012 was to fund my gaming habit through reward sites which still continues on into 2014. You can read about my "journey" here.

#63 J7.

J7.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

I played Flower and did not like it. I was bored. I heard Flow had even less "gameplay". Would I enjoy Journey? Does it have substantial gameplay or is supposed to be more of an experience?

#64 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

I played Flower and did not like it. I was bored. I heard Flow had even less "gameplay". Would I enjoy Journey? Does it have substantial gameplay or is supposed to be more of an experience?

It is very much an experience. Theres more to it than Flower or Flow, but dont expect gameplay to be the central focus of why that game received the praise it did.

#65 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

It's an experiment in social interaction. I'd liken it to Demon's Souls (hear me out) in the fact that communication is minimal yet the goal is understood. It's heavy on symbolism and somewhat of a spiritual quest, so very much an experience. You will beat it in under four hours as well, but replay value is high due to the randomness of online experiences.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#66 J7.

J7.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

Does it have any actual gameplay? More than say moving the character around with the analog stick?

#67 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Does it have any actual gameplay? More than say moving the character around with the analog stick?

You can chirp tunes to your partner. :lol:

But seriously, there's some puzzle solving and you can learn to air juggle each other for exploration. Not much else to the game except the ride.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#68 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Unless they definitely lowered the price "fl0w" is a ripoff. I liked that game but I think I paid $8-11 with the expansion and still felt it was overpriced.
I haven't played "Flower" or "Journey" but have wanted to play the latter after seeing it in action.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#69 J7.

J7.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

You can chirp tunes to your partner. :lol:

But seriously, there's some puzzle solving and you can learn to air juggle each other for exploration. Not much else to the game except the ride.

I take it that air juggling is non-intentional on the developer's part. Not sure I want to play it then. Can you compare the gameplay to any other game?

#70 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

I take it that air juggling is non-intentional on the developer's part. Not sure I want to play it then. Can you compare the gameplay to any other game?

It seemed intentional to me. The more you work with your partner, the easier the Journey is.

I can't compare it to any other game, it is very unique and fun experience. The game mechanics are simple, but elegant. You can collect words/symbols to upgrade your scarf. Plus find all the wall paintings and you'll get a new robe. In my opinion, the game is meant to be played through in 1 sitting. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours. And to be played more than once (for fun, not higher difficulty level bullshit). There is a hub-area where you can level/area-select after beating the game, or make a whole new journey.

Simply put, you wander a desert, trying to climb a mountain. You can jump, float, revive/ride carpets a short distance, chirp to signal/beckon partner, recharge scarf. There is a danger element you'll find while playing the game, and it genuinely feels tense. The game is short. My best recommendation is watch a 5 minutes youtube clip to get a basic idea, but that won't convey the beauty imo. Soundtrack is amazing and won some awards.

The Journey CE on disk version comes with Flower+Flow, Soundtracks, and a few other extras. Very nice deal if find on sale at $15, MSRP is $30 I think. But retailers have better sales than digital, so it should go on sale again.

#71 J7.

J7.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

It seemed intentional to me. The more you work with your partner, the easier the Journey is.

I can't compare it to any other game, it is very unique and fun experience. The game mechanics are simple, but elegant. You can collect words/symbols to upgrade your scarf. Plus find all the wall paintings and you'll get a new robe. In my opinion, the game is meant to be played through in 1 sitting. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours. And to be played more than once (for fun, not higher difficulty level bullshit). There is a hub-area where you can level/area-select after beating the game, or make a whole new journey.

Simply put, you wander a desert, trying to climb a mountain. You can jump, float, revive/ride carpets a short distance, chirp to signal/beckon partner, recharge scarf. There is a danger element you'll find while playing the game, and it genuinely feels tense. The game is short. My best recommendation is watch a 5 minutes youtube clip to get a basic idea, but that won't convey the beauty imo. Soundtrack is amazing and won some awards.

The Journey CE on disk version comes with Flower+Flow, Soundtracks, and a few other extras. Very nice deal if find on sale at $15, MSRP is $30 I think. But retailers have better sales than digital, so it should go on sale again.

Thank you. I'll play it someday when it is on sale.