3-D Gaming thread

KevinMassacre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I am starting my 3d-hdtv savings fund. Since I like the idea of 3D but I'm not sure the fad will last or how long it will be supported, hopefully others can post deals and sales on all 3d related items here. So far amazon has this 3D HDTV for preorder under the 1000 dollar mark:

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-60638-60-Inch-1080p-3D-Ready

Even though its not LED, a 60" 3D capable screen for 999.99 seems like a decent "early-adopter" price. I'm using the release date of Killzone 3 to be my goal-date for purchasing a 3D TV. And since sony has confirmed the PS3 will be compatible with 3D blu-ray discs, I'm not worried about having to upgrade to HDMI 1.4 cables and all the other crap.

Anyone else out there have any decent findings?

You can get last years model (WD-60c9) for like $900 or less. It goes on sale at Dell pretty frequently. I got the 73C9 for like $1200.

Either way, you'll need a $100 adapter (Mitsubishi 3DA-1) to get it to (potentially) work with a PS3 completely, or they plan to sell a 3D kit (includes adapter, 2 pairs of glasses, an emitter, and a Disney 3D showcase disk) for $399.

High Speed/Cat 2 HDMI cables (spec 1.3) do pretty much everything you'll need to do right now in regards to the PS3 anyway. There's only a few minor (at the moment) differences between the 1.3 cat 2 cables and 1.4a cables.

If I were you I'd see how your body responds to the shutter glasses before spending a bunch of money on one of the 1st generation sets. Some Best Buys have them on display with Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D.

[quote name='KillerRamen']If I were you I'd see how your body responds to the shutter glasses before spending a bunch of money on one of the 1st generation sets. Some Best Buys have them on display with Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D.[/QUOTE]
The Mits he listed is really like a 4th Gen Set (as far as 3D goes). ;)

[quote name='pjb16']The Mits he listed is really like a 4th Gen Set (as far as 3D goes). ;)[/QUOTE]

If it still uses shutter glasses, then he should still see how his body reacts. For some people (such as myself) those things are vomit inducing.

[quote name='KillerRamen']If it still uses shutter glasses, then he should still see how his body reacts. For some people (such as myself) those things are vomit inducing.[/QUOTE]
I agree he should check out the glasses, I was just clarifying that they weren't 1st gen sets.

Pretty sure that you will have to get an hdmi 1.4 to use 3D... I've seen them on ebay for under $10 tho. Wikipedia has a chart comparing all the hdmi cables. It states that you do need hdmi 1.4 for 3D over hdmi. Hdmi 1.3 can handle 3D, but will lower your video quality, according to this article.

[quote name='hockeyfun66@']Pretty sure that you will have to get an hdmi 1.4 to use 3D... I've seen them on ebay for under $10 tho. Wikipedia has a chart comparing all the hdmi cables. It states that you do need hdmi 1.4 for 3D over hdmi. Hdmi 1.3 can handle 3D, but will lower your video quality, according to this article.[/QUOTE]

So will the PS3 get HDMI 1.4 with a firmware update or will it have the less than stellar 1.3 1080i 3D?

[quote name='hockeyfun66@']Pretty sure that you will have to get an hdmi 1.4 to use 3D... I've seen them on ebay for under $10 tho. Wikipedia has a chart comparing all the hdmi cables. It states that you do need hdmi 1.4 for 3D over hdmi. Hdmi 1.3 can handle 3D, but will lower your video quality, according to this article.[/QUOTE]
There is 0 benefit to using a hdmi 1.4 with a PS3 when it only has a 1.3 chipset. A high speed/cat 2 HDMI cable will work just fine.

[quote name='Chuplayer']So will the PS3 get HDMI 1.4 with a firmware update or will it have the less than stellar 1.3 1080i 3D?[/QUOTE]
How do you know it's less than stellar?

I mean, you realize most games are natively 720p anyway, right?

[quote name='pjb16']How do you know it's less than stellar?[/quote]

1080p 3D = stellar
1080i 3D = less than stellar

Do the math.

I mean, you realize most games are natively 720p anyway, right?

Do realize, do not care. Games will be the resolution they will be. Blu Ray movies, on the other hand, can do 1080p 3D in HDMI 1.4. Will the PS3 support that?

Also a word of warning, the "3d ready" Mitsubishi DLPs are not compatible with the way 3D is handled with PS3. They apparently use what is called a "checkerbox" style to display the images (and yes, use the shutter glasses) whereas the PS3 is not compatible with checkerbox. Some games, such as Avatar or that PSN karate game (forget the name) allow a checkerbox setting from a menu, but that is on the developer, not officially by Sony. Supposedly an adapter is being made, but even then, that's just more cost on top of the ridiculous price of the signal emitter and shutter glasses (didn't look much into this though, so I don't know specifics)

Just found this out last night, and am pissed as I have a 65" "3d ready" Mits. I was hoping to play 3D PS3 games on. fuck!

All this 3D stuff is confusing, it's like 2001 all over again with 480p, 720p and 1080i and what is HD and what the p vs i meant.

I dont plan on making a purchase until after the 2010 holiday season. I think these tv's will drop drastically in price. The average mainstream consumer that has upgraded from a tube tv to an HDTV over the last couple years will not be making another investment anytime soon. Most people just won't care. Plus with companies like vizio and lg making 3d sets that are getting good reviews combined with the fact that the technology will ultimately become cheaper to manufacture, the top tier companies will lower their prices.

I hope you realize that the difference between 1080p and 1080i is pretty much negligible unless you have a tv that is 70 inches

[quote name='Chuplayer']1080p 3D = stellar
1080i 3D = less than stellar

Do the math.

Do realize, do not care. Games will be the resolution they will be. Blu Ray movies, on the other hand, can do 1080p 3D in HDMI 1.4. Will the PS3 support that?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheHapaOne']I hope you realize that the difference between 1080p and 1080i is pretty much negligible unless you have a tv that is 70 inches[/QUOTE]

Progressive being better than interlaced at any size? Say it isn't so.

I guess now that Nintendo has put out 3D without glasses, I'm waiting to see if they can do it on full size TVs before I get all excited. I checked out the Monsters vs Aliens 3D at Best Buy and thought it was cool, but I wasn't quite sold yet.

[quote name='QiG']I guess now that Nintendo has put out 3D without glasses, I'm waiting to see if they can do it on full size TVs before I get all excited. I checked out the Monsters vs Aliens 3D at Best Buy and thought it was cool, but I wasn't quite sold yet.[/QUOTE]

Its possible, the tech used by the 3DS is actually nothing new. The caveat is that it creates a limited focal point. WIth glasses, your eyes create the focal point allowing you to move around and still get the same effect, but with the screen doing the work of the glasses, there is only one focal point and it has a limited size. I imagine the DS can get away with that because users are all roughly the same distance from the screen, for a home theater it would mean you could have one chair seeing proper 3D while everyone else gets varying degrees, with some getting no effect at all (note in 3DS impressions how users are saying that if you view the 3DS off center, the effect goes away).

Personally, I am looking into 3D sets since I am upgrading my television in two months regardless. As it stands I may wait a bit. I do think that the stuff shown for PS3 has been a far more convincing argument for going 3D than any movie I have seen.

I'm sure my wife is tired of me complaining about this topic to her, so i'm happy to have another outlet to vent!

I've got a 61in Samsung DLP that was purchased about 2 years ago primarily for 3D gaming. The set is lovely. Unfortunately, since my purchase the technology the system uses has been retroactively been downgraded from "3D ready" to some other term I can't remember that's the 3D equivelant of "Cheese Product". Basically, I can display some 3D images if I hook up a PC to my TV, but it's not compatible with anything else. The emmiter and the glasses are no longer sold by Samsung.

Supposedly I can buy the mitsubishi adaptor for it, and then it will work with the current technology, but I haven't seen anything that verifies that this actually works- so i don't want to invest. It's only 120hz- so it may look like crap.

So now I'm kind of stuff. I can't exactly trick my wife into letting me buy a new set at these prices and what would I do with the old one? I can't exactly move it into one of the other rooms in the house like I used to do with my replaced tvs, and I surely couldn't get any money selling it on craigslist.

[quote name='nbballard']I'm sure my wife is tired of me complaining about this topic to her, so i'm happy to have another outlet to vent!

I've got a 61in Samsung DLP that was purchased about 2 years ago primarily for 3D gaming. The set is lovely. Unfortunately, since my purchase the technology the system uses has been retroactively been downgraded from "3D ready" to some other term I can't remember that's the 3D equivelant of "Cheese Product". Basically, I can display some 3D images if I hook up a PC to my TV, but it's not compatible with anything else. The emmiter and the glasses are no longer sold by Samsung.

Supposedly I can buy the mitsubishi adaptor for it, and then it will work with the current technology, but I haven't seen anything that verifies that this actually works- so i don't want to invest. It's only 120hz- so it may look like crap.

So now I'm kind of stuff. I can't exactly trick my wife into letting me buy a new set at these prices and what would I do with the old one? I can't exactly move it into one of the other rooms in the house like I used to do with my replaced tvs, and I surely couldn't get any money selling it on craigslist.[/QUOTE]
I have the Samsung 61a750 (I think that is what you have too, since you said 2 years) and there are potentially a couple alternatives.

For 3D blu ray movies (if you care about them), the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 or 350 output in checkerboard and are immediately compatible with your set. Like buy today, works today. It also has a 2nd HDMI out so you can still get HD audio to a v1.3 AVR (which the PS3 can't do if it's connected straight to a TV).

You don't need Samsung glasses, you can get Xpand x102's ($129) and they work right out of the box, no set up required really. They use no emitter. http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/X102-home/

As far as TV and Gaming go, the Mitsubishi adapter may work. If it does work, it will only work with a Gefen HDMI Detective who has a Mitsubishi EDID programmed into it. There are people over at the AVS forums who are going to try this and see if it will work. I can keep you posted if you want, so that you don't have to waste your money investing and potentially having it not work.

If you do have the 61a750, even if you can't do 3D it still is an amazing TV with a really great picture. You could just use it for a number of years and wait for the tech to improve and come down in cost.

[quote name='pjb16']I have the Samsung 61a750 (I think that is what you have too, since you said 2 years) and there are potentially a couple alternatives.

For 3D blu ray movies (if you care about them), the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 or 350 output in checkerboard and are immediately compatible with your set. Like buy today, works today. It also has a 2nd HDMI out so you can still get HD audio to a v1.3 AVR (which the PS3 can't do if it's connected straight to a TV).

You don't need Samsung glasses, you can get Xpand x102's ($129) and they work right out of the box, no set up required really. They use no emitter. http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/X102-home/

As far as TV and Gaming go, the Mitsubishi adapter may work. If it does work, it will only work with a Gefen HDMI Detective who has a Mitsubishi EDID programmed into it. There are people over at the AVS forums who are going to try this and see if it will work. I can keep you posted if you want, so that you don't have to waste your money investing and potentially having it not work.

If you do have the 61a750, even if you can't do 3D it still is an amazing TV with a really great picture. You could just use it for a number of years and wait for the tech to improve and come down in cost.[/QUOTE]
Yep- that's me. I love the set. Haven't had any problems with it, and the quality is great. Do they even have a release date for the mitsu adapter?

Mitsubishi DLP's kick ass. I bought one 3 or so years ago when they were a high end item. In any case, I will warn you a few things about DLP's.... A side for the lack of 3d on my TV it does have latest DLP reflective chip so picture quality should be roughly the same.

1. You need to buy a new bulb every year or two. They do last longer than that, but if you want the best picture possible you should change it before it burns out. Bulbs are only 100 bucks or so. I will say once you pop in a new bulb it's like you have a brand new TV.

2. Sometimes the color wheel goes bad which is a big ticket repair...but this is rare.

3. DLP's make a minor fan noise when running...It's a lot quieter than a PS3 (even the slim) but it's noticeable if you're listening to the TV really low (which is rare).

4. Black levels on DLP's are just fucked up. Theirs nothing you can do about that. If you're playing a dark game like dead space the blacks are just too black and you can't see jack (even if the game is set to it's brightest settings). Now you will ask why don't you just higher the TV's bright settings...well this just washes out the picture with white. It makes the image look washed out and it doesn't let you see anything that was too dark to begin with. I will also say black levels are fine if you have a brand new bulb in...but after a few months of TV watching that sucker gets dark again for gaming.

5. What DLP's lack in terms of funky black levels for gaming (mostly this gen) they make up for in their excellent Blueray playback. Seriously Avatar just looks amazing on my TV...better than any LCD or Plasma in the 65 inch size range.

6. DLP's have excellent Power wattage to screen size ratios and the best price per inch of TV on the market. From what I've seen they're actually the most Greenest TV's to own if you own a big screen.

This last bit is my opinion...but I personally love my DLP just not for gaming. For general HDTV watching it's just amazing but for gaming it's just too dark. If I were to buy a TV for gaming or 3D gaming then I'd buy LCD. However LCDs with 3D are down right expensive now and 3D effects look kind of weak sauce on anything smaller than 50 inches. Thats kind of why I still like DLPs.

[quote name='Sk']Mitsubishi DLP's kick ass. I bought one 3 or so years ago when they were a high end item. In any case, I will warn you a few things about DLP's.... A side for the lack of 3d on my TV it does have latest DLP reflective chip so picture quality should be roughly the same.

1. You need to buy a new bulb every year or two. They do last longer than that, but if you want the best picture possible you should change it before it burns out. Bulbs are only 100 bucks or so. I will say once you pop in a new bulb it's like you have a brand new TV.

2. Sometimes the color wheel goes bad which is a big ticket repair...but this is rare.

3. DLP's make a minor fan noise when running...It's a lot quieter than a PS3 (even the slim) but it's noticeable if you're listening to the TV really low (which is rare).

4. Black levels on DLP's are just fucked up. Theirs nothing you can do about that. If you're playing a dark game like dead space the blacks are just too black and you can't see jack (even if the game is set to it's brightest settings). Now you will ask why don't you just higher the TV's bright settings...well this just washes out the picture with white. It makes the image look washed out and it doesn't let you see anything that was too dark to begin with. I will also say black levels are fine if you have a brand new bulb in...but after a few months of TV watching that sucker gets dark again for gaming.

5. What DLP's lack in terms of funky black levels for gaming (mostly this gen) they make up for in their excellent Blueray playback. Seriously Avatar just looks amazing on my TV...better than any LCD or Plasma in the 65 inch size range.

6. DLP's have excellent Power wattage to screen size ratios and the best price per inch of TV on the market. From what I've seen they're actually the most Greenest TV's to own if you own a big screen.

This last bit is my opinion...but I personally love my DLP just not for gaming. For general HDTV watching it's just amazing but for gaming it's just too dark. If I were to buy a TV for gaming or 3D gaming then I'd buy LCD. However LCDs with 3D are down right expensive now and 3D effects look kind of weak sauce on anything smaller than 50 inches. Thats kind of why I still like DLPs.[/QUOTE]
1. Not all DLPs use a bulb, the LaserVue from Mitsubishi and the 750 line from Samsung (2008 model) didn't. ;)

2. If you get a new set, Texas Tape Works offers 3 year extended warranties for like $150 or so. I think their warranty takes effect after the Manufacturer warranty ends too. But that could help put your mind at ease about bigger ticket repairs. But yes, the color wheel can be expensive to replace should you need to (it's not common as you noted).

3. Yes, I agree. It's very minor noise IMO but it is not silent.

4. I don't have any problem with black levels (granted I try and calibrate my set), and really DLPs are only behind Plasmas as far as black levels go. Also I've not used my Mits for very long (2 months or so) so it may indeed get worse over time, but as of now I have no issues. The Samsung 61a750 doesn't use a bulb and has simply an amazing picture all around (IMO).

5. Agree. Movies are stunning.

6. Yes. People are often surprised at how light they are given the size as well.

I personally love my DLP's all around, however if I could get a Plasma for a similar price at the same size I would get that. Plasma display's are all I would trade a DLP for (actually I'd probably pick a LaserVue over a plasma, but not at the current cost :lol: ). Also, DLPs in the store will not likely look anywhere near what they do in your home. People often complain about the PQ in the store, but it's significantly better in your house.

[quote name='madbst']So has anyone actually played a game in 3D and if so, what were your impressions?[/QUOTE]
I've only played Avatar and Invincible Tiger, but I though Avatar looked really great.

Anyone see that stereoscopic 3DS video on Kotaku today? It worked really well, I wish someone would release some official ones.

Wait, so will the black level on a current gen, 3D ready DLP tv, be better or worse than a local dimming LED?

Dead Space was mentioned and I didnt have any trouble with that on a four year old LCD. Albeit I had to turn the brightness up a bit, but the contrast level was sufficient to allow me to make out details in the picture.

I am buying a new TV in two months regardless and I was planning on going with a sub-50" LED, but then I saw the Sony E3 presentation and I am starting to think 3D or at least 3D ready. Im hoping to spend around $1000, initially, but wouldnt mind paying the extra $300 or so in a year or two to take advantage of the 3D capabilities. Is there any such thing as a 3D ready LCD/LED/Plasma, where I can add a converter, or what have you, in the future?

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Wait, so will the black level on a current gen, 3D ready DLP tv, be better or worse than a local dimming LED?

Dead Space was mentioned and I didnt have any trouble with that on a four year old LCD. Albeit I had to turn the brightness up a bit, but the contrast level was sufficient to allow me to make out details in the picture.

I am buying a new TV in two months regardless and I was planning on going with a sub-50" LED, but then I saw the Sony E3 presentation and I am starting to think 3D or at least 3D ready. Im hoping to spend around $1000, initially, but wouldnt mind paying the extra $300 or so in a year or two to take advantage of the 3D capabilities. Is there any such thing as a 3D ready LCD/LED/Plasma, where I can add a converter, or what have you, in the future?[/QUOTE]

Samsung had some 3D ready sets that weren't DLPs, but I'm not sure if anyone else did. You could try google or the AVSforums. And mean it really seems like only Mitsubishi is supporting their "3D" tvs that were released prior to this year with any sort of adapter/converter.

And I think that the black levels on a DLP should be better than an LED tv, but that once again may be a question better posed over at AVS.

I played Dead Space both on PS3 (demo) and on PC (full game) on my Mits. DLP, and had zero issues. Dark and scary, but not impossible to see. Now, I played with all the lights out, so that may help, but I've never noticed any isseus with dark levels and I've had mine for 1.5 years. (granted, some of the areas in Fallout 3 were hella hard to see in, but they were like that on my buddies LCD too, so I think it's intentional poor lighting, not poor black levels)

[quote name='Thongsy']All this 3D stuff is confusing, it's like 2001 all over again with 480p, 720p and 1080i and what is HD and what the p vs i meant.[/QUOTE]
I just got into the 'HD era' with an LCD computer monitor and now they're pushing towards 3-D tvs? #-o

Hopefully they'll make some nice smaller sized 3-D monitors in about 4-5 years in the $150-180 range like I paid. Otherwise, I'll stick to non 3-D.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I just got into the 'HD era' with an LCD computer monitor and now they're pushing towards 3-D tvs? #-o

Hopefully they'll make some nice smaller sized 3-D monitors in about 4-5 years in the $150-180 range like I paid. Otherwise, I'll stick to non 3-D.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding sony and lot of 3D TV makers are really pushing 3D hard not only for sales now but to make 3D an option on all new TV's. The hope is to eventually charge consumers a 10% price increase on 3D TV models over 2D sets. The reality is that 3D doesn't complicate manufacturing much and it's only a small increasing in the cost of building a TV (that means their will be big profit margins on selling 3D sets).

Right now they're pricey because for the most part 3D tvs in LCDs and Plasmas are brand and only available on nice midrange to high end sets. Nearly all DLPs are 3D or 3D ready and they're priced pretty low since 3D or 3D ready DLPs have been the norm for about 2-3 years (even though their was little to no 3D content for them).

I read a CES article released around a year or two ago by sony saying so much. Ultimately manufactures want 3D to be a normal selling feature on a HD panel. So I'd say it's safe to say in a 3-5 years you can get 3D or 3D ready TVs or panels on the low.

When they can sell a 3D monitor (around 22-24") for 199 I'll get one. The impressions from Sony's 3D games (particularly Killzone 3) at E3 were pretty much unanimous that it was amazing, but also stated how it already felt dated compared to Nintendo's 3DS

Stopped by BestBuy yesterday and they had no less than 5 3D tvs going. I tested out a panasonic. It looked really good. Unfortunately, it was running a demo reel, so i'm sure the 3D effect was cranked all up.

I left shortly before the world cup match started-- he was going to be showing it live on one of the Samsungs on the floor. Would have been interesting, but didn't have the time.

Watched a Motor Storm Pacific Rift demo at a Sony centre along with some other random 3D things, not really that impressed, the shades make the colours less bright and the 3D isn't really that impressive.

I am looking at going 3D. Are there any LCD/LED monitors out right now that would support 3D PS3 gaming? I found the Acer GD235HZ, but I cant tell if it will support the PS3.

[quote name='TheHapaOne']I hope you realize that the difference between 1080p and 1080i is pretty much negligible unless you have a tv that is 70 inches[/QUOTE]
Yea seriously... was is Chup going on about? Throw on some tinted glasses and show some crazy moving 3D images and it wont matter one bit. And does Progressive and Interlaced even matter when it's in 3D? It's all about showing different lines of pixels at different times.

Isn't 3D just a bunch of hype, haven't we been experiencing 3D since gaming moved from 2D Games
I think its just one more way corporations are getting people to consume more.. like lemmings people buy just to have what someone says is 'better'

Just bring a game that works and looks pretty second, who cares how detailed the Pig looks it's still a Pig

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I am looking at going 3D. Are there any LCD/LED monitors out right now that would support 3D PS3 gaming? I found the Acer GD235HZ, but I cant tell if it will support the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I'd also be interested in knowing what smaller computer monitors support PS3 3d as well as NVIDIA's solution (Alienware Optx, Asus etc.). I've read mixed things about 3d only over DVI vs. 1.4 hdmi on them... would be nice to find someone who has set something up and could give us some feedback.

I have a 3D TV - Samsun LED 55" and the 3D aspect is pretty good for games. I tried the demo for Motorstorm and the depth was handled pretty good. Super Stardust HD in 3D was cool also. MLB The Show was average at best. The Pitcher/Batter interface was cool, but the fielding was not great.

[quote name='nbballard']Stopped by BestBuy yesterday and they had no less than 5 3D tvs going. I tested out a panasonic. It looked really good. Unfortunately, it was running a demo reel, so i'm sure the 3D effect was cranked all up.

I left shortly before the world cup match started-- he was going to be showing it live on one of the Samsungs on the floor. Would have been interesting, but didn't have the time.[/QUOTE]
Just about every store I've been to is using the Panasonic to demo 3D. The VT25 is one of the best TVs on the market right now.

I was also impressed with the Samsung PNC8000. The price isn't too bad either at ~$2200 for 58", 3D blu-ray player + 2 sets of glasses. I've also checked out LED/LCDs but they are either way overpriced (Sony HX900 and LX900) or have too limited viewing angles (HX800). I'm worried about input lag on an LED too. In my opinion, plasma is a better value and overall picture.

I'll probably end up picking up the VT25 or C8000 soon. The Panasonic doesn't do 2D to 3D conversion but after testing it out on the HX800 I doubt I would ever use it anyway.

update - mitsubishi finally released a 3D adaptor that works with my TV (3DC-100S). I got it on Thursday and it's great. MY TV only runs at 120hz, unlike most 3D TVs that run at 240hz. I was worried the reduced frame rate would be an issue, but so far it hasn't been a big deal (except for possibly MK9).

I have been wondering though, if the TV continues to output 120hz, and my eyes are actually perceiving all 120 frames (just separately) does that translate to a reduced frame rate?

Amazon has a list of compatible titles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_PlayStation_3_games

So far, I've tested the titles below. They are in order of how awesome the 3D effect was (top is best):

• Killzone 3
  • Super Stardust
  • Motorstorm: Pacific Rift (demo only)
  • Wipeout
  • Crysis (the 3D is pretty limited to foreground items and your HUD, so the effect it's super pronounced)
  • Mortal Kombat 9 Demo (effect primarily used to add depth to the backgrounds. Fatalities are on a totally black background and cause the 3D effect to start looking funny. Additionally, i don't know if it's because my rig is running a lower Hz than it should be for 3D, but the action was hard to follow)
  • Enslaved (looks awful).

Games I have but have not had a chance to test:

• De Blob 2
  • Sly Cooper Collection
  • PoP1 HD
  • Invincible Tiger
  • Pain
  • HV Bowling
  • EyePet (i can't see how projecting a 3D pet onto a 2D, low res image of me sitting in the floor is going to look good...)

[quote name='nbballard']update - mitsubishi finally released a 3D adaptor that works with my TV (3DC-100S). I got it on Thursday and it's great. MY TV only runs at 120hz, unlike most 3D TVs that run at 240hz. I was worried the reduced frame rate would be an issue, but so far it hasn't been a big deal (except for possibly MK9).

I have been wondering though, if the TV continues to output 120hz, and my eyes are actually perceiving all 120 frames (just separately) does that translate to a reduced frame rate?[/QUOTE]
I believe the 120hz just splits the screen in two and refreshes at the normal 60hz. 60hz x 2 = 120hz. I know how that's how it works on plasmas but I could be very wrong. If I'm not 240 would just split the screen in 4 sections for separate refreshing and doesn't really relate to framerate, just overall image quality.

So the image being output is being created at 60hz, regardless of if my brain is perceiving it at 120hz, so the frame rate would still appear reduced.

Oooh, link for the adapter? How much is it nowadays for the adapter + everything else needed for 3D? I've got a 65" Mitsu DLP and would love to try the 3D, but haven't been following what I need or the prices.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Holy shit balls, didn't realize it was that expensive. Thanks for the link though! Definitely a pass for now.[/QUOTE]
It's expensive- but it's not much different than the other kits that are out there.

Got my hands on Captain America today- the 3D is utter crap. It's like the game tries to do the 3D in layers, instead of naturally. When an item gets close to the camera, things are constantly just popping into and out of 3D- like shoulders and the backs of peoples helmets in close-up over the shoulder shots (the spot that should be close all the sudden pops out and it looks like the helmet has a tumor or something).

Terrible.

Anyway- I also played Tetris (unnecessary, but well done), Cars 2 (Well Done), MotorStorm: A (effect is good, but the hazy/glare light effect on some stages can be kind of harsh in 3D)

bread's done
Back