Perfect Dark Zero in disc tray of new 360?!?!

shadowkast

CAG Newbie
Finally a 360 owner as I bought an arcade today. Upon opening the disc tray I found a disc in there already. The disc says "Perfect Dark Zero OBA Test NTSC" "Confidential" on the bottom and has some hand written letters and numbers in pen. The disk is white with black lettering. Anyone heard of this?

Upon doing some googling it appears people have found 'ping 17 stress test' discs from their repaired RRoD units. But this seems to be something different.

The 360 treats it as a regular game and I booted it up and am currently playing the game to see if it's the full game or not. Never played this game so I have nothing to compare it too.

Who knows, maybe I just lucked out and got a free game?!?!!?

EDIT: Just finished what seems to be mission 1. Datacore/demolition. Infiltrated, shot some spiders, blew up some computer, and escaped on a spaceship. Sound about right for owners of the game?

For the nay-sayers, there is a pic a few posts down.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Yamato']Pics or it didn't happen.[/QUOTE]

Dunno why someone would lie about this. Cool beans man. Although if it was Halo reach youd have the whole net all over you. Probably QCing system that they accidently sold or something.

I didn't actually think you were making it up, I just wanted you to feel the need to post a picture good sir.

That is fucking sick as hell. I'm jealous. As a collector, I would totally pay top dollar for that. As a cheap ass, I just want it for free like you lol. Congrats!

This was a store bought brand new Arcade unit? I find that really, and I do mean really strange that your drive should contain a disc like that. Your 360 was probably built using a drive from a RRoD unit, or your 360 is a refurb packaged to look like new. Check the back of your serial sticker and post the manufacture date..also check this site
http://www.360drives.com/formhelp
to see what drive it is. I would really hate to see your 360 be a refurb/repaired unit in disguise .

[quote name='itdefx']this was a store bought brand new arcade unit? I find that really, and i do mean really strange that your drive should contain a disc like that. Your 360 was probably built using a drive from a rrod unit, or your 360 is a refurb packaged to look like new. Check the back of your serial sticker and post the manufacture date..also check this site
http://www.360drives.com/formhelp
to see what drive it is. I would really hate to see your 360 be a refurb/repaired unit in disguise .[/quote]
2010-04-04 Not sure what you exactly want me to look for on that web page? According to the power supply input it's a Jasper. If it's disguised, it's disguised really well.

does it mean that the console was used by someone, before it was packed in to make it new. eventhough u got a free game u got a used console.:roll:

lol, Sounds and looks like a used/refurb 360 although... is there really any difference between a new and refurb 360 at this point?

It was probably a disc they use to do quality assurance on newly manufactured 360s. More than likely, some dude working the line left it in there. I'd hang on to it and Ebay it later.

[quote name='ITDEFX']This was a store bought brand new Arcade unit? I find that really, and I do mean really strange that your drive should contain a disc like that. Your 360 was probably built using a drive from a RRoD unit, or your 360 is a refurb packaged to look like new....[/QUOTE]

What makes you think they wouldn't use that test disc in new consoles coming off the assembly line? They have to put something into the drive and make sure it reads and loads properly. Why would it only be for repaired units? (though possibly they use the same disc in both cases -- it's probably their standard test disc, and after all, it was a launch game (yes, I bought it, not sure why!, but what else was there to buy back then?).

But as a cool collectible -- yes, I want one too!

ok, I'll filled out that questionnaire. Upon inspecting the sticker on the side of the box...I noticed that there was another sticker underneath it!!!!!!! with different info!!!

[quote name='pmarin']What makes you think they wouldn't use that test disc in new consoles coming off the assembly line? They have to put something into the drive and make sure it reads and loads properly. Why would it only be for repaired units? (though possibly they use the same disc in both cases -- it's probably their standard test disc, and after all, it was a launch game (yes, I bought it, not sure why!, but what else was there to buy back then?).

But as a cool collectible -- yes, I want one too![/QUOTE]

I just said that, one post before you. My guess is that the thing was for QA, and the factory in China that made his console probably doesn't get an updated play test disc too often.

[quote name='whipsmartbanky']make sure you check the sticker carefully - does it say "manufacture (or mfg) date" or "service date"[/quote]
mfr.

haha, I did send joystiq the info

that's going to be a collectors item someday. Not too many of those discs probably make it out of their manufacturing centers.

There were test carts like that back in the NES days and collectors will pay for those too. Too bad it doesn't have unique code on it that never saw retail. It would be nice if it was a test disc or something that stressed the hardware or checked all the internals.

[quote name='shadowkast']ok, I'll filled out that questionnaire. Upon inspecting the sticker on the side of the box...I noticed that there was another sticker underneath it!!!!!!! with different info!!![/QUOTE]

Mine had that as well, and I got mine from a target in Irvine,CA. The sticker that is. I hope I didn't get a refurb unit, either way though 3 year warranty on it, so I'm not too worried.

edit: checking the list i notice not many team numbers that have VMEM

[quote name='jer7583'] Too bad it doesn't have unique code on it that never saw retail. [/QUOTE]

What about the handwritten code on the upper half of the disc? Or the printed set of numbers on the far left?

I'd say he's got something here...

I'm curious though, if MS is attempting to sell refurbished units as new ones!? :roll:

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']What about the handwritten code on the upper half of the disc? Or the printed set of numbers on the far left?

I'd say he's got something here...

I'm curious though, if MS is attempting to sell refurbished units as new ones!? :roll:[/QUOTE]
lower left is "OBA" up top seems to be "X6-4-11-97601"

And in response to your last sentence....yeah that scares me too

Now see if it was an early beta of PDZ or raw data files/uncompiled source code, then yes its worth keeping as it contains the game's engine. If your a programmer/game artist you could do what you like with it, but given copyright laws these days, I am pretty sure if you had such disc the makers of the game will either ask you nicely to return the disc to them or send their nasty lawyers to force you to turn over the disc claiming it's their property.

But in this case all you have is perfect dark zero with no disc art.

Keep on playing the game....you will never know what might you find ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Ro...=056E4CF91A82D888&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1

Fast forward to the 3m mark :p

[quote name='preston181']It was probably a disc they use to do quality assurance on newly manufactured 360s. More than likely, some dude working the line left it in there. I'd hang on to it and Ebay it later.[/QUOTE]

that's a very cool find. I would shop it around some collectors and xbox owners forums and see how much folks offer you for it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']lol, Sounds and looks like a used/refurb 360 although... is there really any difference between a new and refurb 360 at this point?[/QUOTE]

At least for the older models, "new" just means "pre-refurb"...

Wow that's really cool

And yea refurb 360s were already broken so more chance of breaking again, though they have better heatsinks :)

[quote name='lilytrabbit']Never mind the disc what's the tattoo of?[/QUOTE]
look at that same photo album on photobucket. I've got three of mine on there.
Snapshot_20100617_5.jpg

yeah, it's my one nerd tattoo. Didn't expect transformers to become so damn popluar again when I got it done years ago. Oh well, my kids think it's cool, reminds me of simpler days, and I'ma be a kid at heart til I die!! So if you don't like it, oh well....it's my body :)

See if you can send the pick to Microsoft and see what they say it is. Just tell them you bought the system new and where you got it and that the disc came in it.

See that big CONFIDENTIAL on it? If you tell Microsoft they are going to come after you, just like Apple did with the iPhone.

Cool find though! If you hang onto it years from now it may be worth something.

MS isn't going to come for you because they fucked up...

I would imagine they'd probably just confirm it as a test disc, and at the most offer you something for it.

[quote name='masked lemon']MS isn't going to come for you because they fucked up...
[/QUOTE]

Well, I doubt they'd get the FBI involved or something that extreme, but they certainly may want it back.

[quote name='keithp']See that big CONFIDENTIAL on it? If you tell Microsoft they are going to come after you, just like Apple did with the iPhone.

Cool find though! If you hang onto it years from now it may be worth something.[/QUOTE]

seriously? what are you on?

Like I said, I don't think they are coming after you because it's a compiled/release copy of PDZ with no disc art. They may ask you to destroy it but I wouldn't worry...

However just to be sure, put it in your PC and see what comes up ;)

bread's done
Back