RPG Thread VI needs a remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Personally, I'm really sick of seeing "xxxx needs to be remade!", especially if "xxxx" is "FFVII", but then again, I've loved the Dragon Quest remakes so far and wouldn't mind FFV and FFVIII remakes.

I'm such a hypocrite :(

Anyway, new thread! Carry on.

I don't mind remakes, but yeah, I don't understand all the people clamoring for them. I'm excited as hell about OoT being "remade" for the 3DS in 3D, but a straight port to the regular DS would have been just as exciting for me.

And thanks for starting the new thread!

So I've restarted playing Oblivion and I could care less if the entire game looks the same. I love this game.

[quote name='LostRoad']@Icebeast]
When you play AI 1 just know that you have three turns to beat the last boss, or else his super happy attack with make your game freeze up. Not 100% sure if this happens with all copies but I know its this way with mine.[/QUOTE]

I had heard there was a problem like that with Ar Tonelico 2 with one of the last bosses, but I hadn't heard about it in Atelier Iris 1 and can't find anything about it by searching on-line but I'll keep it in mind.

Yeah there is that problem in AT 2 as well though it is much much easier to take that boss out. I think you have 4 turns, don't remember it's been awhile since I went though it. Though I know for a fact my copy of AI 1 has this problem with the last boss as well. Just something to keep an eye on/ plan for. Just gotta level up a little to do it, not that big of a deal.

Hmm, my copy of AI 1 didn't have this problem. But I also heard the AT 2 bug could corrupt your memory card.

AI1 and 2 were pretty good, but I hated 3 for its quest-based structure.

Can you change the ringtone on the iphone to something other than the shitty, Apple-approved choices?

I'd kinda like Freek a leek.

[quote name='Chacrana']Can you change the ringtone on the iphone to something other than the shitty, Apple-approved choices?

I'd kinda like Freek a leek.[/QUOTE]
I don't think you can without jailbreaking. I don't really mind because I steadfastly refuse to make my phone sound like anything other than a phone.

[quote name='Chacrana']Can you change the ringtone on the iphone to something other than the shitty, Apple-approved choices?

I'd kinda like Freek a leek.[/QUOTE]

You can, without jail-breaking, here is a tutorial: http://www.ehow.com/how_2160460_custom-iphone-ringtones-free.html

Basically all you need to do is create a small clip that you want to use, then convert it to an AAC file (Apple's file compression), then just change the file extension to the one used by ringtones instead of audio files and sync that file to your phone.

I like the remakes for the PSP and DS. RPGs really are better on a handheld so I'd like to see all the SNES and PS1 classics on either system.

[quote name='depascal22']I like the remakes for the PSP and DS. RPGs really are better on a handheld so I'd like to see all the SNES and PS1 classics on either system.[/QUOTE]

I agree. All the remakes on the PSP are great.

Although it's a bit overboard.. Many of the Sting games, and P3Portable after only 2 years on the PS2?!

Making real progress in the sixth stratum in Etrian Odyssey. Hopefully I'll have the whole thing mapped out by the end of the week.

Also picked up Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes off of Amazon for my upcoming trip, since I need something else to play besides Pokemon Platinum. Hooray for Prime!

[quote name='62t']http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/21/ys-the-oath-in-felghana-uses-fan-translation-as-a-base/

Looks like Ys: The Oath in Felghana is going to use fan translation as a base. Wish more publisher can do that.[/QUOTE]
Seems the translator is licensed, so not your ordinary fan translation. Still, very cool! I always did like Xseed.

I think I may finally start Tales of Vesperia. I'm finally much more caught up on my RPG's, I beat Mass Effect 2 (which I absolutely loved) and now ToV is the only 360 game left for me to beat.

That's what I keep hearing, my only conflict comes from which of my versions I should play. I have an open CE version and a sealed regular version. I'm a little nervous about my 360 scratching my CE version...

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']That's what I keep hearing, my only conflict comes from which of my versions I should play. I have an open CE version and a sealed regular version. I'm a little nervous about my 360 scratching my CE version...[/QUOTE]

Pick up a used copy to play. :p Anyway just be careful and you will be fine. Just wish Namco would bring over PS3 version...

[quote name='depascal22']I like the remakes for the PSP and DS. RPGs really are better on a handheld so I'd like to see all the SNES and PS1 classics on either system.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I really liked the FFIII and FF Tactics on the DS. I also still play the hell out of the Chrono Trigger remake on the DS.

I also want to try out the FFIV remake on the DS.

[quote name='blueshinra']Also picked up Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes off of Amazon for my upcoming trip, since I need something else to play besides Pokemon Platinum. Hooray for Prime!
[/QUOTE]

I just started playing this a few days ago and I'm really digging it so far. Although, strangely enough, I find myself having trouble sleeping due to the battle system invading my dreams (or whatever it is when your thoughts start to drift as you're almost asleep). I used to have that problem when I played too much Dr Mario or tetris Attack right before bed, too :(

I'm a fan of makeovers of old classics like those that have come to the handheld systems, but asking for huge console recreations is a bit selfish and narrow minded IMO. I wouldn't want the gaming industry to go the route of hollywood when it's still so young.

The amount of resources and time it would take Square to remake something like FFVII with visuals equivalent to XIII's would be huge, and could better be spent on a new title that you know -- we haven't actually played before. I thought VII was a great game but nostalgia aside, it isn't the peak of gaming that needs to be experienced by every generation. And that's really what this all is, nostalgia. Developers that continue to pump out great software shouldn't be expected to favor the needs of an older generation.

That said, I'd buy a VII remake in a heartbeat. All I'm saying is that I'd always rather see large amount of resources go towards new ideas.

Remakes? Eh, they're okay.

I really wouldn't mind seeing some PS2 RPG compilations, like Xenosaga, dot.hack, some SMT games (DDS 1-2, Nocturne, Persona, etc) Shadow Hearts, or even Wild Arms.

But I'd much rather have some new sequels of some RPGs that have been in limbo for awhile, like a new Chrono Trigger or Breath of Fire game or something like a Skies of Arcadia sequel or Phantasy Star 5.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']That's what I keep hearing, my only conflict comes from which of my versions I should play. I have an open CE version and a sealed regular version. I'm a little nervous about my 360 scratching my CE version...[/QUOTE]

Do an install, then it only checks the disc for like 2 seconds.

Omg, remake Final Fantasy VII IX. :p

Does anyone else have a need to mod the fuck out of all the TES games like Oblivion and Morrowind? I have about 70 mods going right now in Morrowind, and I had over a 100 for Oblivion when it was all said and done.

Also, new old game currently playing: Divine Divinity. (It's fun.)

[quote name='willardhaven']Do an install, then it only checks the disc for like 2 seconds.[/QUOTE]

Omg duh! I'm so dumb lol. Thanks for reminding me of that feature.

I would love to see a remake to Super Mario RPG for SNES, and not the Paper Mario, or DS versions of the games. Some people hate those characters but that seemed to be a big game that had "memorable characters IMO" It's weird Nintendo hasn't used them in other games yet like Mallow or Geno.

[quote name='mau64']It's weird Nintendo hasn't used them in other games yet like Mallow or Geno.[/QUOTE]

I kind of wonder if maybe Square had the rights to any original characters created for the game, and so Nintendo can't use them. Kind of like how Banjo and Kazooie are owned by Rare, despite Rare being a second party of Nintendo at the time.

Either way, I'd love seeing an official Super Mario RPG sequel or even remake.

[quote name='Backlash']I just started playing this a few days ago and I'm really digging it so far. Although, strangely enough, I find myself having trouble sleeping due to the battle system invading my dreams (or whatever it is when your thoughts start to drift as you're almost asleep). I used to have that problem when I played too much Dr Mario or tetris Attack right before bed, too :([/QUOTE]
It's one of those types of games, huh? Nice! Well, just as long as it doesn't keep me awake at night...

[quote name='Krymner']But I'd much rather have some new sequels of some RPGs that have been in limbo for awhile, like a new Chrono Trigger or Breath of Fire game or something like a Skies of Arcadia sequel or Phantasy Star 5.[/QUOTE]
After Chrono Cross, I never want to see that franchise touched again D:

As for Skies of Arcadia, I'd rather not have a sequel, and am more than happy just to have the one game. It was self-contained in such a way that I don't think it needs one. A direct sequel in particular wouldn't have the same sort of feel as the first game, given the themes of exploration and discovery.

Instead of a Skies of Arcadia sequel, I'd want a game similar in battle system and universe, but with entirely new and unrelated characters and a new story.

[quote name='ForeStorm']
Also, new old game currently playing: Divine Divinity. (It's fun.)[/QUOTE]

YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH

Divine Divinity is tha shyt!!

[quote name='blueshinra']
After Chrono Cross, I never want to see that franchise touched again D:

As for Skies of Arcadia, I'd rather not have a sequel, and am more than happy just to have the one game. It was self-contained in such a way that I don't think it needs one. A direct sequel in particular wouldn't have the same sort of feel as the first game, given the themes of exploration and discovery.[/QUOTE]

If Chrono Cross were called anything else you would probably remember it as a fantastic game. Which, independent of not being nearly as good as Chrono Trigger, it was.

I agree on Skies of Arcadia.

I'd definitely love a new Breath of Fire though. Or a new Suikoden (probably more realistic).

I want, in order of importance, a new Suikoden, Wild ARMs, Shining Force, Breath of Fire and Phantasy Star (not the online crap).

[quote name='bvharris']If Chrono Cross were called anything else you would probably remember it as a fantastic game. Which, independent of not being nearly as good as Chrono Trigger, it was.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure I would (also note: I only just played it for the first time this year). I went in knowing its reputation, more or less, but Chrono-related WTFs aside, I wasn't prepared for the other problems that it had. I thought the plot was poorly told, and the battle system, while interesting, could've used refinement. It's also next to impossible to get the "good" ending without a guide. Also, Serge is brainless, even for a mute character, and Kid is incredibly annoying.

I will give it this, though: it has a truly amazing soundtrack.

[quote name='blueshinra']I'm not sure I would (also note: I only just played it for the first time this year). I went in knowing its reputation, more or less, but Chrono-related WTFs aside, I wasn't prepared for the other problems that it had. I thought the plot was poorly told, and the battle system, while interesting, could've used refinement. It's also next to impossible to get the "good" ending without a guide. Also, Serge is brainless, even for a mute character, and Kid is incredibly annoying.

I will give it this, though: it has a truly amazing soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. But at the same time, playing it years after release isn't exactly the same experience as playing it at the time. Even going back to old favorites now I question a lot of design choices in light of how the industry has evolved since, but that's not really fair to those games.

Don't get me wrong, the game wasn't without its flaws, but it was a very ambitious and very polished (for the time) title. I'd never put it in the pantheon with Chrono Trigger obviously, but I still remember it fondly (and have enjoyed it when playing it in recent years).

[quote name='bvharris']Fair enough. But at the same time, playing it years after release isn't exactly the same experience as playing it at the time. Even going back to old favorites now I question a lot of design choices in light of how the industry has evolved since, but that's not really fair to those games.

Don't get me wrong, the game wasn't without its flaws, but it was a very ambitious and very polished (for the time) title. I'd never put it in the pantheon with Chrono Trigger obviously, but I still remember it fondly (and have enjoyed it when playing it in recent years).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's one of the biggest pitfalls of playing retrogames: chances are good they'll be "of their time" and not hold up well. However, I don't think that holds true for all old games; I didn't play Chrono Trigger until the PS2 era, and came away with a new Favorite RPG of All Time. If a game doesn't make as good an impression now as it did back in the day, it might not be fair to the game, but it also might not bode well for it becoming a "classic".

Chrono Cross is a personal favorite of a good friend of mine, whose opinions on games I value, and who has similar tastes as me, which is one of the major reasons why I played it. This ended up being one of those cases where we agreed to disagree.

Back when EGM was still good one of the reviewer gave Chrono Cross a 9.5 while other 2 EGM reviewers gave it 10. The guy that gave it a 9.5 got death threats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Mario RPG and Chrono Cross are two of my favorite games ever. I think they both held up well, Mario RPG is especially timeless (no loading, great controls despite the awkward perspective).

[quote name='62t']Back when EGM was still good one of the reviewer gave Chrono Cross a 9.5 while other 2 EGM reviewers gave it 10. The guy that gave it a 9.5 got death threats.[/QUOTE]
Now that's a classic tale of fanboyism.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Are games that are timeless better than games that were only great for their time..? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]
I believe there's room for both, and I think the "of their time" ones can be important in a historical context (for innovations or what have you), but I don't know if they're worth playing for fun. There's also the whole thing about taste being subjective to begin with.

So in summation, there was some stuff that bored the snot out of me in film history class, but man, I really enjoyed It Happened One Night :p

[quote name='panzerfaust']Are games that are timeless better than games that were only great for their time..? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

Similarly, is there a cutoff point in time after which games can no longer truly be considered timeless because of their graphics? For example, I'd argue that even if you considered FFVI and FFVII to be of roughly similar quality at the time they each came out, FFVI has aged better (and thus is more "timeless") because its classic sprites are less grating on the eyes today than the polygons of FFVII.

I think it all has to balance out - even today, I can look past "omg it doesn't look as good as FFXIII/Crysis/whateverLooksAmazingNow" if the gameplay (particularly the interaction via combat) still holds up. A good story doesn't hurt, but I'm playing a game to have fun. If it doesn't have a thoroughly cohesive story to go hand in hand with the fun gameplay, then I can go read a book if it bothers me that much.

There is a little something endearing about playing a sprite-based game, though. :3

video games!!

u press buttons, stuff happens!!

I dont believe in games being dated... good games are always good.

games that suck today sucked back then as well.

I used to have a friend who grinded characters between 60 to 99 in each point in FFIV. Crazy.

But I'd much rather have some new sequels of some RPGs that have been in limbo for awhile, like a Skies of Arcadia sequel.
It's called Nostalgia for the DS. :D

[quote name='blueshinra']After Chrono Cross, I never want to see that franchise touched again D:[/QUOTE]

Well I felt that way the first time I played Chrono Cross, I didn't really make it anywhere in the game and couldn't believe that such an abomination could be considered the sequel to one of my favorite games of all time... then I played it again a year or two later after buying the game (the first time I just rented it) and mysteriously I fell in love with the game and the battle system. I'd say the only weak part of the game was the characters, since there were so many that they weren't really explored, but I enjoy everything else about the game. It is probably the biggest change of heart I've ever had for a game.

On the topic of "for their time" vs "timeless" I think for me it is hard to make a comparison; since typically I don't usually replay games anyways so any that I do I really love and want to play again so they fall into the "timeless" category, but at the same time there are plenty of games that I only played once but also loved but may not want to replay for one reason or another so those would be more "for their time" types of games for me. But I have lots of games I enjoy that fall into both those categories, however my all-time favorite games will all probably fall more into the "timeless" category simply because replaying something many many times is a good gauge of enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back