2010-2011 NHL Regular Season Thread

cgarb84

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This thread will be used for the off season chatter and then be turned into the season thread.

NHL Draft is June 25-26

1 Edmonton Oilers
2 Boston Bruins (from Toronto)1
3 Florida Panthers
4 Columbus Blue Jackets
5 New York Islanders
6 Tampa Bay Lightning
7 Carolina Hurricanes
8 Atlanta Thrashers
9 Minnesota Wild
10 New York Rangers
11 Dallas Stars
12 Anaheim Ducks
13 Phoenix Coyotes (from Calgary)2
14 St. Louis Blues
15 Florida Panthers (from Boston)3
16 Ottawa Senators
17 Colorado Avalanche
18 Nashville Predators
19 Los Angeles Kings
20 Pittsburgh Penguins
21 Detroit Red Wings
22 Phoenix Coyotes
23 Buffalo Sabres
24 Chicago Blackhawks ( from New Jersey via Atlanta)4
25 Vancouver Canucks
26 Washington Capitals
27 Montreal Canadiens
28 San Jose Sharks
29 Anaheim Ducks (from Philadelphia)5
30 Chicago Blackhawks

Last edited by a moderator:
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=5320715

The Chicago Blackhawks made a blockbuster trade with the Thrashers on Wednesday, the Stanley Cup champions moving Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager, Brent Sopel and a prospect to Atlanta for a first-round pick, a second-round pick, prospect Jeremy Morin and veteran forward Marty Reasoner, a source told ESPN.com.

The first- and second-round picks that Chicago get in the deal were acquired by Atlanta in the trade that sent Ilya Kovalchuk to New Jersey last February.

The prospect Atlanta is getting from Chicago is Akim Aliu.

The deal is pending a call to the league for approval. The Blackhawks have not confirmed the trade.

"It is what it is," Byfuglien said on "The Afternoon Saloon" on ESPN 1000. "It's part of the job. You're not going to stick in one spot the whole time so I've got to go."

The Blackhawks were in dire need to get rid of salary as new contract extensions for Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith next season put them in a major salary cap crunch. The Hawks save just over $5 million in cap space with the trade.

Byfuglien has one year left on his contract paying him $3 million, which is also his cap hit. Sopel has one year left on his deal at $2 million although his cap hit is $2.3 million. Eager is a restricted free agent who earned $965,000 this past season so retaining his rights would have cost at least that much. The only salary the Hawks get back is Reasoner, who has one more year left on his contract at $1.2 million and his cap hit is $1.15 million.

The Hawks will still have decisions to make on whether to keep the relatively high salaries of forwards Patrick Sharp and Kris Versteeg.

Byfuglien was a major force in the Hawks' run to the Cup, switching from defense to forward to fill needs with the team. His work in front of the net was a big part of dispatching the Canucks and Sharks in the postseason.

He battled Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger continuously in the Cup finals. He broke through with two goals and two assists in a Game 5.

Byfuglien finished with 17 goals and 17 assists in the regular season last year. He had a career high 19 goals in 2007-08. Eager posted seven goals and nine assists in 60 games. Sopel was only a plus-3 for the season but was a big part of the Hawks' penalty kill, especially late in the regular season and the playoffs.

Reasoner had four goals and 13 assists, his 11th in the league.

Duncan was deserving this year, but Drew Doughty is going to see his name on that trophy more than once going forward. The kid is a machine. He's one of my favorite non Wings to watch play.

[quote name='TC']Duncan was deserving this year, but Drew Doughty is going to see his name on that trophy more than once going forward. The kid is a machine. He's one of my favorite non Wings to watch play.[/QUOTE]

I concur.

[quote name='wildcpac'] Kris Versteeg.
[/QUOTE]

Why would you get rid of the guy that pretty much did almost everything for a guy that's totally useless... ?

Off topic but can we start a new thread once the actual season starts? I'd prefer having a thread that doesn't start with the off season.

I don't like no touch icing on the small ice. Of course if somebody takes advantage (like the idiot that destroyed the Wild player a few years back) they should get a major for extremely reckless play.

I'm not a big fan of no touch icing. The ECHL uses it, and since I go to just about all of Ontario's home games, I see it a lot. Kind of messes with the flow of the game at times.

Anyhow, I'm heading to Staples this afternoon for the draft. Should be a very unique experience.

They have no touch icing in college hockey and it really doesn't work all that well. There are many times when you dump the puck in from behind the red line because your teammate will almost certainly get there first.

You already aren't allowed to hit anyone on an icing call in the NHL.

Surprised Fowler and Gormley fell so far. Decent amount of reaches after that as well.

Rangers fans are absolutely shitting themselves that they took McIlrath over Fowler and Gormley. I'd be livid, McIlrath is big and tough but thats all he's got.

People think I am an asshole, I dont mind. I do seriously pray that Sather crashes his car into a pole, tree, off a cliff, into a river. Just with him in the car though. How this idiot still holds a job is beyond me. Rangers are lucky that WFan 660 doesn't spend a minute on hockey because the Rangers would be killed 24/7 if any of the host actually gave a damn. boomer and Carton are Rangers fans but they are more of Howard Stern wannabes and spend more time bs'ing then talking sports. Benigno is a Rangers fan but he doesn't spend too much. NHL gets less time on the air than Golf, Tennis and Horse Racing combined.

NHL has some things going for them, the NBA and NFL are going to be locked out right when the NHL's TV contracts all come up. You're going to see a lot of hockey in 2011.

Don't know how Sather has a job, but you do still have Chris Kreider.

NHL actually makes a profit. NBA just loses hundreds of millions per year. Media isn't going to tell you that but the NHL is the #3 sport in the U.S. behind the NFL and MLB.

The NHL blows away the NBA, but no one likes to talk about it.

When people look at the numbers, they take the US numbers only and don't consider Canada. Why? To make the other leagues look better. To do that is to eliminate 20% of the NHL and some of their most profitable teams.

Mark Cuban made that point when he was trying to buy I think the Penguins. The NHL doesn't do great in parts of the US, but they dominate in a market that the other leagues have not really penetrated.

Toronto as a media market is only behind NY, LA, and Chicago.

[quote name='VipFREAK']BEHIND MLB... ? wow... Christ. As for NFL, god forbid if anything comes before "America's fat ass past time".[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm?

In terms of Profit. NFL is #1. I believe they did 7-8 billion last year. MLB was second with around 6.6 billion. NHL was 3rd with 2 Billion? I only know the exact numbers for Baseball.

The NBA lost 400 million for 2009-2010. And the NBA lost 200 million a year between 2005-2009.

They were talking to the Bruins about a Regehr for Savard deal and I guess it didn't work out.

Its going to be a very sad time in Calgary. They don't even have their own 1st round picks for two years. The rebuild they should've already started won't happen until 2013 when those horrible contracts come off the books and when they've traded Iginla and everything else of value.

Just heard on the Radio that one of the ultimate enforcers from the 1990's Bob Probert collapsed and died today. Rip

Sad news indeed. One of the most popular players when I was a kid. Very rare combination of toughness and scoring touch. Nobody messed the Wings when he was on the ice. Hell he even made the all star team.

I've never really heard of this guy til now (I'm sad to say) but, wow at 45... ? I was expecting 70 or something. RIP.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I've never really heard of this guy til now[/quote]

Imagine a guy who could kick the shit out of pretty much anyone in the league and put up around 40 points. He was extremely popular. I've got an autographed puck from him on my Red Wings wall. The guy was a great Red Wing.

R.I.P. Probie.

Stats:

One of the most feared fighters in the history of the NHL, the Windsor native scored 163 goals and added 221 assists and whopping 3,300 penalty minutes in 935 career NHL games.

bread's done
Back