CAGcast #202: The E3 2010 Not So Limited Collector's Edition

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

#241 Zark7

Zark7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

I would expect a profuse apology next week, and it better be sincere. I'm sure he's feeling pretty bad about it right now.

I would expect to hear apologies too, but my guess is that Shipwreck will mean it, and Cheapy will just say it to appease everyone who thinks he should, not because its heartfelt. The fact that Cheapy hasn't posted a single thing in this thread about the issue sort of reinforces that for me. That and his lame Twitter post that was pretty weak and not really an apology. All of which will probably make next week's podcast just as awkward as this one.

#242 bingbangboom

bingbangboom

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

Honestly, I don't really think there would be a Cagcast without Wombat. He brings so much to the table including music during the Go Daddy ads. I mean, could you really listen to a Cheapy D & Shipwreck show? (No offense) Again, I think they didn't realize what they were exactly saying it when they said it. Wombat is sort of the main part of the show and I think most people know that. He does have really good ideas about the industry and knows how to explain them. If anything hopefully he will feel the love for next week.

I also wonder what the difference is with Wombat picking up swag from events vs. people at the Microsoft event getting a Xbox 360? Talk about buying the press, there was no real outrage for this. It is different than sending a reviewer copy of a game. I know Cheapy D said that he is giving away his Xbox, but my issue is more that there is a lack of anger from the "press". Between that and the "special events" to screen games, the entire videogame industry needs to reexamine what they are doing.

#243 magicdramatic

magicdramatic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

Wow, poor Wombat. Him saying his favorite part of E3 was spending it with you guys and you shit on him for it. I love cagcast, but this was really cringeworthy and uncomfortable.

LEAVE WOMBAT ALONE

#244 sunnysky

sunnysky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

wow. What a "shit on wombat" podcast.
I can kind of see both sides of the story.
Wombat and Cheapy BOTH have a habit of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.
I think they both need to learn that it is ok from time to time to follow the mtoto (if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all).
I'm not talking about ALL The time. I just think they would do Each other a lot of good to keep some things to themselves.
Like when Wombat totally bashed on the XBLA game that donated it's profits to charity.
And for Cheapy to say what he said this week, about the whole "friend" issue. Wow.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/Falso+Reality"][/URL]

#245 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:14 AM

And CheapyD is now the favorite in the running for Douchebag of the Year. Bobby Kotick needs to step up his game if he wants to win, and he killed off Infinity Ward, then tried to play the victim by comparing himself to Luke Skywalker with a PR fluff speech at DICE.

The second half at first sounded like it was taking place over the sound system at the Staple Center after hours.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#246 NotoriousCPD

NotoriousCPD

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:22 AM

I've been a CAG for years but have never felt compelled to comment on a show thread before until now. I literally cringed several times for Wombat, especially the whole "I don't really know you" line from Cheapy. As someone else mentioned, you could tell that cut deeper than anything else that was said. Cheapy sometimes acts as if Wombat isn't even his friend. You don't have to hang out with someone all the time to know them. Sure Cheapy, you may not know all of Wombat's mannerisms in person, but to say you don't know the guy? Hell, I even know Wombat enough to know saying what you said would have hurt his feelings.

And it's not just Cheapy dissing Wombat, but his obvious man crush on Shipwreck. Granted, subtlety and Cheapy aren't commonly associated, but can you make it any more obvious Cheapy? Out with the old, in with the new? Wombat must have felt like the uncool tag along all week, and then he gets roasted and broadcasted for all of us to hear. That's embarrassing and Wombat deserves better. Not cool Cheapy and Shipwreck, not cool.

3679706696.png

#247 Falion

Falion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:24 AM

I would expect to hear apologies too, but my guess is that Shipwreck will mean it, and Cheapy will just say it to appease everyone who thinks he should, not because its heartfelt. The fact that Cheapy hasn't posted a single thing in this thread about the issue sort of reinforces that for me. That and his lame Twitter post that was pretty weak and not really an apology. All of which will probably make next week's podcast just as awkward as this one.

Yeah, I don't think any apology by Cheapy would make things much better. By the end of the podcast, he was very much aware that his remarks hurt Wombat's feelings, and he didn't apologize at that point, so anything after that would be very disingenuous. I guess you gotta give him credit for being brutally honest, at least. :D

Shipwreck's apology was very sincere, and I doubt there will be any awkwardness between him and Wombat in the future. He was insensitive for piling on while Wombat was knocked down, but it was all pretty minor stuff. Cheapy, on the other hand, had a total Artie Lange "I'm not your bro" moment.

#248 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

Maybe you were at E3 and played Vanquish, I'm not sure, but I don't remember talking to anyone there that said the game is "not that good". Maybe it doesn't interest you, but out of all the games I played at E3, I had the most fun with Vanquish. It's got pedigree too as it's being directed by Shinji Mikami (the man with a big role in Resident Evil, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, etc.).

Thank you for commenting on something other than the debacle though.

The only reason I have a problem with it, is because you said it! Haha, ok fine if you do truly like it then I'll back off. It just sounded random and was not adequately backed up. And yes I did play it at E3 and it was fun, but not the game of the show. Just giving you a hard time... and somehow you find my post buried beneath all of this Wombat love. Damn.
360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#249 Cheese

Cheese

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:23 AM

Hey Cheapy D, y'know how you're always talking about how you go to E3 so you can get some human interaction? How your only interaction with people is over the internet? Yeah, it shows. You sounded like you were flaming some guy on an internet forum, not someone you've built a relationship with over five years. Too much internet, not enough real life. It's damaged the part of your brain that controls social interaction.

I don't think Wombat needs to quit the show, I think you do. Take some time off and learn how to, I dunno, speak the language of the country you've lived in for five years? At least find a group of Westerners to hang out with, you need to relearn how to interact with humans. You live in (or at least near) Roppongi, it's gaijin central, go outside and make a friend.
www.houseoftwelve.com

#250 kube00

kube00

Keeping in Cheap since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

nice show guys!

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#251 Interfeci

Interfeci

ASSIMILATE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:07 AM

You should know that two wrongs don't make a right. Just because everyone can be a dick sometimes doesn't make it ok to humiliate your friend, record it, and have thousands of people download it.

Also, I don't buy into the "get over it" mentality. If something bothers you, speak. What the hell is the point in sitting around with your mouth shut while the world pisses on you? You might prefer that, but it doesn't mean others should. (Edit: Might I also point out that you yourself spoke out about the "whining", and I'm sure you've whined about something at some point in your older than adult lifetime. Which means you yourself don't subscribe to this "get over it" mindset.)

*Edited out Father Time, don't want my point lost in what might look like mindless flaming.

I did say Cheapy took it over the top by leaving it in the show. So I never said that was right. And what I meant was that everyone else get over it. Wombat can speak to them all he wants to, whenever he wants to. He's not who I was referring to. But the community is whining a lot about the entire situation. We can whine in our own situations, but all of our comments about the whole thing isn't going to change any of their personalities. I'm not sure how all this feedback about Cheapy being an ass would change anything at all. Wombat's a nice guy, and he takes it, and I feel for him, but i'm not going to be able to do anything by having a page long rant about how mean they were.

Plus, I meant that everyone in the show is probably older than I am. I have no idea what I meant by that additional note. Not sure what your rant was, but it probably wouldn't have meant much of anything.

I wonder what kind of backlash there's going to be once the next CAGcast comes out.
PEW PEW PEW.

#252 atomsk

atomsk

A van down by the river

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

wombat has some pretty womanly tendencies regarding his moods. Down to the tone of voice. Just man up a little, wombat.
[thread=85641]My Tradelist[/thread]

#253 Quintessence

Quintessence

The Darkness Consumes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

Overall, I think Cheapy crossed the line a bit with his seemingly dismissive attitude toward his and Wombat's friendship, but Wombat has been known to be a little too sensitive in certain things as well - this made for a bad combination which turned out awkward and kind of sad. I believe Cheapy when he said that he was not purposely being mean, but it kind of came off like that to Wombat and it was apparent on the podcast that it was taken that way as well. Cheapy needs to think about his choice of words a little more carefully and Wombat needs to understand that Cheapy, among countless others, sometimes act and say things they do not exactly mean.

As for Shipwreck, he was not directly to blame; his part was mostly indirect and it seemed to me to be done in a fun spirit, so not really a foul on his part, although it would have been nice to see him step up and say something in Wombat's defense or rebuke Cheapy or something of that nature.

:bouncy: Free Cash and Prizes :bouncy:

Sign-up: PrizeRebel

100% free and quick to earn.

#254 chinoev

chinoev

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

Good show. I liked hearing your opinions on all the things at E3.

#255 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

But the community is whining a lot about the entire situation. We can whine in our own situations, but all of our comments about the whole thing isn't going to change any of their personalities.

But the community can still feel "connected" to these people in some way. I mean, if you spend years listening to people, as they move apart, as their children are born, as they get sued and switch jobs, you start to feel invested in their lives, even if you're not actually.

So it becomes more of a "venting" than a true attempt at fixing anything. I can't speak for everyone, but I really doubt anyone that has called Cheapy an asshole did so to fix him. They probably did it just to let him know that he's an asshole. Meaning they probably did it just to voice their displeasure.

Obviously you don't think this is a proper course to take, and that's ok. The best thing about apathy is that it doesn't require action. If you think it's pointless, you can sit there quietly being over it with no effort at all. Others get to vent, you get to sit there uninvolved, and everybody wins.

Plus, I meant that everyone in the show is probably older than I am. I have no idea what I meant by that additional note. Not sure what your rant was, but it probably wouldn't have meant much of anything.

That was my mistake, your sentence structure and my eyes made it look like you were joking about being older than an adult. Which is why I called you Father Time, trying to be funny. Just a mix up.

I wonder what kind of backlash there's going to be once the next CAGcast comes out.

I doubt there will be any. Though I'm curious if Wombat will start badmouthing them (jokingly of course) in the first ten seconds, or if he'll hold on for a minute.

Edited by Broken Cage, 26 June 2010 - 12:57 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#256 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Next weeks show will probably begin with a joke. "Hey i'm your host, wombat hater and welcome to CAG Cast episod 203." etc

Still no real apology from Cheapy.. just a half assed tweet that I think was pretty empty.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#257 MikeFightNight

MikeFightNight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

I have been listening to the cagcast for a little more then two years now and have always found it entertaining. This is my first post in the show thread and I am posting to support Wombat and say I appreciate everything you do for the show:)

Now as far as Shipwreck and Cheapy's comments go, i found that the majority were harmless playful remarks as I have come to expect with you three.

However the most cringe worthy remark was when Cheapy said that "I don't really know you" to Wombat. Now that was just fucking rude dude. I mean I think I know where you are coming from in that you don't know his tendencies in person (As was outlined in the way he steals food off your plate) but the way it sounded when you said it, you came off as a real jerk.

How many shows have you done with him and you still don't know his personality by now??

Come on Cheapy, you need to apologize for that remark, it was very rude.

#258 beerme

beerme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

I've never listened to cagcast before this episode, and now I will continue to avoid it.

#259 retromufc

retromufc

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Next weeks show will probably begin with a joke. "Hey i'm your host, wombat hater and welcome to CAG Cast episod 203." etc

Still no real apology from Cheapy.. just a half assed tweet that I think was pretty empty.

Lol who would bother to read his clowns twitter? I boggles my mind that people think he is enjoyable enough to repeatedly listen to him on this podcast let alone care what he thinks about anything

#260 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

Looks like it was the Gay Gamer Cast this week. Jilted gay lover. Longs for yesterday when he and host were exclusive. But now another man has come between them. And host no longer loves the sad jilted man as he once did. The new man is younger with more money and less responsibility. And isn't as loud in bed or in the bathroom or at the dinner table.

Hopefully you guys can kiss and make up. Muahhahaha.

And come on, we know all 3 of you shared a room at E3. Come clean I say. :P

E3 was pretty meh as far as games go. I agree. I think gamers are due to get tired of this gen games very soon. We're on the 2nd sequels of many franchises on the 360 at least. And that is going to have folks wishing for next-gen by next E3.

It used to be we got a next-gen console for $299 5 years later. Now we get a patched this-gen console for $299 5 years later. Cough, 360 Slim, Cough.

3Ds looks alright, but between 2011 release date and not being able to see the 3d on the 'net it is rip van winkle time until next March. Doesn't help I'm not a big handheld gamer.

Most impressed by the Nintendo conference because they put out some new or haven't seen in awhile gamey gamer games to play this fall. I'll be getting at least 3 of them.

Kinect will bomb. They just showed us Wii games playable with Kinect. Tech still looks awkward and I have a feeling many tech issues are going to creep up in the real world. Whole package is too expensive. Wii will go to $179 and then $149 with better games to combat Kinect and Move.

MOve tech looks better, but they didn't show the controls being so much better than the Wii's.

Leave you with this tangential observation: Wiimote/nunchuk are the future of controls. Hands are apart equals comfort. Pointing functionality and some motion control in addition to standard buttons, analog stick and dpad. Old school mixed with new. TEch can be improved and button/stick layout improved as well, but that's the future controller.

Edited by trip1eX, 26 June 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#261 boredasfook

boredasfook

Let's Get Weird!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

I've never felt so awkward after listening to you guys. Obviously Cheapy didn't have a good time at E3...

Currently playing:
:pc: League of Legends/Titanfall
:3ds: Pokemon Y
:ps3: Okami HD

:ps4: NBA 2K14

#262 sunnysky

sunnysky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

Before this show, I had never before felt compelled to write in. Sounds like many others are feeling the same way.
I do think Wombat can take things a bit too personally at times. Which may have more to do with his Wifes hatred of Cheapy than his own.
But this time he has good reason.
You can tell he tries hard to blow things off. But if I were him, I probably would have reacted the same way to "I don't really know you". Of course on top of that, They felt the need to complain about his "loud" voice, his constant complaining (lobster), his willingness to accept free swag, etc.
Sorry Cheapy, but Wombat is not the one running a website that's making a ton of money.
Your head/ego may be getting a bit too big for your shoulders.
I didn't even bother listening to past the second hour. Good luck ever getting back your carma. I doubt the podcast will ever be the same.

As for E3, I guess if I'm to take Cheapy's input on it, I may as well save my money and not bother buying anything new for the next couple years, because we all know that the next 1 to 2 years will be spent with all three consoles pushing motion control. And Cheapy has already decided (whether successfull or not) he will do nothing but Bash it into the ground every time.
Personally, I'm not confident in it, but I'm willing to at least give it a chance.

Make a good choice, take a small break, and start up the Wombat/Shipwreck show. Perhaps then we can hear more about games and less about "taking a dump". If I needed that, I could always listen to your Idol Howard Stern.

#263 magicdramatic

magicdramatic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

wombat has some pretty womanly tendencies regarding his moods. Down to the tone of voice. Just man up a little, wombat.

Wow, sexist much?

#264 MatFish

MatFish

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Am I the only one who finds it sort of funny how butt-hurt people are getting over this. The way I see it Cheapy and Shipwreck went way overboard with the ribbing, and Wombat was a little over-sensitive. They are all adults and worked it out, so I really don't understand why some of you took this so personally. I guess podcasts are pretty serious business.

#265 Swoxx

Swoxx

Resident Swede

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Don't forget the story about Wombat going to sleep and asking Cheapy to wake him up so they all can go to the Halo Reach party and conveniently Cheapy says he "...forgot", and then him and Shipwreck go to the event. What a freakin bummer for Wombat.

wow, just wow, if thats true then cheapy really is a huge douchebag, I always thought Cheapy was a genuinely nice guy who just had a bit of self-centeredness to him. i mean he does good things for charity and stuff but damn. Now i won't be able to enjoy the cagcast anymore, call me overdramatic but i don't wanna listen to a guy i don't have any respect for talk about anything, any way this was just an honest mistake? seems like you would notice the 3rd person missing though...

#266 Swoxx

Swoxx

Resident Swede

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Quote For Truth is what the kids say i believe! or maybe It's "This". Either way I agree with you sir.

Yeah Cheapy does seem to prefer to just laugh matters off and throw away some halfassed empty apology instead of ever discussing them seriously

Edited by Swoxx, 26 June 2010 - 05:12 PM.
Added another quote

#267 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

Wow that was just akward. What the hell was that?

#268 NOXER

NOXER

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Wombat stop being a vagina clown and grow some skin. Good friends bash each other for being loud, answering your phone in wrong moments, living up the Jewish stereotypes by taking swag. You were obviously embarrassed by taking food off Cheapy's plate and he put you on blast. Telling Cheapy to upgrade his hotel room to seem his entitled to it. Shipwreck putting him on blast about the lobster, bowling ROFL so funny.

Wombat you're gonna be you loud and this is you're first time at E3 while Ship and Cheapy had their own flow going on. They apologized group hug stop being butt hurt.

Posted Image

#269 donkeydrop

donkeydrop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

So, let me summarize:

90% Wombat was right to feel insulted
9% Homophobic remarks about Wombat
1% Actually support Cheapy without the need to question Wombat's sexual orientation

#270 sunnysky

sunnysky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

That seems pretty accurate from what I've read.