Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
2446 replies to this topic

#721 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Question: when watching netflix on an older tv (not sure how old, but has a VCR built into it), the screen keeps distorting and reverting to normal. The distortion isn't too bad, it just makes the screen darker and a little fuzzier, but that's it. It's gotten super annoying though. Anyone know what's wrong/how to fix it? (Other than using a different TV of course). And I'm pretty sure it only happens while I'm watching netflix.

It's a sort of copy protection.

#722 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yeah that's funny, I agree with the comments but BSG was just as ridiculous as Voyager.

I never had any desire to watch Voyager. BSG was great when it first started but by then end it was getting pretty ridiculous.

#723 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

They just added Before the Devil Knows Your Dead. Great movie. Sidney Lumet's last unfortunately.

Bonus: Marisa Tomei is naked in it

Posted Image

#724 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

For those who havent seen it, the entire Party Down series (20 half-hour eps) is up on Netflix streaming. Its a comedy series created by Rob Thomas, John Enborn & Dan Etheridge of Veronica Mars fame as well as Paul Rudd (Role Models, 40 Year Old Virgin, Clueless, etc). Has an awesome cast too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073507/

Thanks for the recommendation, finished the last episode last night. Awesome show.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#725 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:28 AM

Just signed up for Netflix and movies look terrible on both my PS3 and Wii. I just went on their site and chose best quality video. Only reason I signed up is because my Blockbuster suddenly closed today. We had a great plan that we were grandfathered in with them. I'll search around the net and try to fix it. Are the streaming videos supposed to look at least near DVD quality?

#726 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

Just signed up for Netflix and movies look terrible on both my PS3 and Wii. I just went on their site and chose best quality video. Only reason I signed up is because my Blockbuster suddenly closed today. We had a great plan that we were grandfathered in with them. I'll search around the net and try to fix it. Are the streaming videos supposed to look at least near DVD quality?

It depends on your internet speed. I'm watching commando right now on my xbox and it looks like bluray quality (maybe a step below)

#727 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

^ Might depend on the show/movie itself. I was watching the first season of Ax Men the other day and it was all blocky and terrible looking and then I watched an episode of Parks and Rec and it looked like an HD broadcast.

Posted Image

#728 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Whoever suggested Party Down....it feels like I should like this show but I dont. I really dont.

#729 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

BSG is easily the best show of the last decade. There isn't even a show that comes close in writing and characters. Not The Wire, Not Sopranos, Not Mad Men. Nothing in the same league. Silly kids....
Which gets depressing, because I keep trying new shows to fill the BSG void but there aren't any. Currently on Sons of Anarchy - and it's good, but it's no BSG.

Anywho, I highly recommend "I Saw The Devil". Another messed up pshycho Korean movie staring the guy that played Oldboy.
Good times.

#730 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

Whoever suggested Party Down....it feels like I should like this show but I dont. I really dont.

Pffft, you are an idiot. The show may start out slow but it funny as hell. Way to jump the gun dipshit.

#731 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

BSG is easily the best show of the last decade. There isn't even a show that comes close in writing and characters. Not The Wire, Not Sopranos, Not Mad Men. Nothing in the same league. Silly kids....
Which gets depressing, because I keep trying new shows to fill the BSG void but there aren't any. Currently on Sons of Anarchy - and it's good, but it's no BSG.

Battlestar Galactica? Are you fucking kidding me? LOL.
MLIFTgM.gif

#732 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

So a question from a netflix newb. I noticed that there's some newer movies (Scott Pilgrim and Sucker Punch were two I noticed) that are "new" releases and on netflix, but you can't stream them, they're dvd only. Does it take longer for a new release to actually become available for streaming or is it something else? Because I thought it was only a month or so delay from the time it released.

card.png

#733 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

It works by what contracts they can get. Its almost random in my opinion. Netflix does a great job of trying to get as many movies streaming as they can but its a separate deal from dvd selection.

Thats way movies come and go so often, contracts run out new contracts are made. If someone is focused on new release than sadly netflix is not for you...its great if you just like to watch movies in general but not if you are looking for specific movies especially new releases.

#734 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Battlestar Galactica? Are you fucking kidding me? LOL.

It would be a little more impressive if you didn't have Nascar and WWE avatars.

#735 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

Everyone go watch Trailer Park Boys (TV show). It's hilarious.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#736 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

BSG had very good writing but lousy planning (not as lousy as LOST but still no good). I definitely wouldn't say number one in the past decade, but I think top ten (top 5 in my book) is fair based on the writing alone.

Party Down is not a bad show, but it's an ensemble comedy about caterers and it doesn't venture beyond that concept. So that's it, that's all there is to it: the catering concept (includes new locale and wacky client of the week) and a ho-hum will-they-won't-they romance. Plus, once Jane Lynch stopped being a regular, it lost a lot of consistency in terms of actual laughs.

I don't understand all the word-of-mouth Party Down gets on the internet, it is overrated in that regard. Watch it only if you've got nothing better to do -- it shouldn't displace other (most likely better) shows. And play it safe and stick to the episodes with Jane Lynch.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#737 j.t

j.t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

netflix prices went up today. unlimited streaming is still 7.99 plus tax a month but with one dvd at a time went from 9.99 to 15.99 today. Fuck that

#738 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

doh, netflix is separating it's disc plans from it's streaming plans with no discount for getting both plans :(, guess I'll be dropping streaming.
http://blog.netflix....-plans-and.html

First Season and a half or so of BSG was great, but it's overall arc quickly sputtered out of control after that. Shows like BSG and Lost which slowly revealed themselves to be narrative ponzi schemes have thoroughly soured me from diving into "mysterious" mythology shows. That's why it took me until the start of season six before I finally started watching Supernatural from the beginning. There the creator had a general idea of what would occur in a 5 season arc and it is only in the beginning half of Season 6 did the showrunners appear to be not quite sure how to proceed.

It's funny, I recently watched Twin Peaks all the way through for the first time a couple of months ago and it's amazing how similar situation it was how it just completely went off the rails (with the exception of a few later episodes) at the start of season 2. "All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again" indeed. If the trend holds we should expect the next great narrative ponzi scheme in 2018.

Edited by guardian_owl, 12 July 2011 - 06:44 PM.

Guardian_owl.png

#739 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

netflix prices went up today. unlimited streaming is still 7.99 plus tax a month but with one dvd at a time went from 9.99 to 15.99 today. Fuck that

I don't know. While I don't like paying more money, if you like movies it's still the best deal out there.

#740 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

First Season and a half or so of BSG was great, but it's overall arc quickly sputtered out of control after that. Shows like BSG and Lost which slowly reveal themselves to be narrative ponzi schemes have thoroughly soured me from diving into "mysterious" mythology shows. That's why it took me until the start of season six before I finally started watching Supernatural from the beginning. There the creator had a general idea of what would occur in a 5 season arc and it is only in the beginning of Season 6 did the showrunners appear to be not quite sure how to proceed.

Narrative ponzi scheme - that's good :). In BSG's defense, the writing tanked when the writer's strike hit, before that the show had been pretty good. Afterwards I don't think it ever recovered.

Anyone remember XFiles. That's the show that started all this nonsense, and we never did find out what happened. I can't believe they wasted the second movie on a sidestory that wasn't even on par with the original series. W T F

#741 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

It's annoying how often they change their pricing plans and structures.

So if I want to get one Blu-Ray and unlimited streaming, it'll be $15.99 + the Blu-Ray charge + tax? Unreal.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#742 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, the pricing changes suck, here's one article.

http://www.engadget....-streaming-and/

And It's not a rumor as it's on the netflix site if you go to your account and change plan. There you'll see a message about your billing change effective Sept 1 and the new plans listed. The cheapest plan for 1 DVD and Streaming will now be $15.98--a raise from the current price of $9.99.

Plan options are:

Unlimited Streaming only, no discs $7.99
1 DVD, no streaming $7.99 ($9.99 with Blu Ray)
2 DVDs, no streaming $11.99 ($14.99 with Blu Ray)
1 DVD, Unlimited streaming $15.98 ($17.98 with Blu Ray)
2 DVDs, Unlimited streaming $19.98 ($22.98 with Blu Ray)
3 DVDs, Unlimited streaming $23.98 ($27.98 with Blu Ray)
4 DVDs, Unlimited streaming $29.98 ($34.98 with Blu Ray)

I'll have to decide what to do. I currently have 1 DVD with Blu Ray and pay $11.99 plus tax for that. To stay on that plan would $17.98 plus tax. A pretty big increase for just sticking with the same service. :bomb:

I may just go down to 1 DVD with no streaming as I haven't been using the streaming much anyway lately and mainly just watching 1 or 2 discs a week as I've been spending more time gaming and reading lately than watching tv or movies. But still annoying as I like having the streaming when I don't have a disc rental and feel like watching something.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#743 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

boo urns!!!! sigh, I just got a blu ray player too! and was looking forward to getting blu ray rentals for that cheap, but 16-18 bucks a month, even though its not that much more, i dont watch enough too spend the extra :/
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#744 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

boo urns!!!! sigh, I just got a blu ray player too! and was looking forward to getting blu ray rentals for that cheap, but 16-18 bucks a month, even though its not that much more, i dont watch enough too spend the extra :/

Yeah, it sucks. I'll keep Blu Ray for sure, but probably drop the streaming since I mainly just watch new releases and just use the streaming for a documentary or foreign film here or there personally.

That will save me a $2 since that would be $9.99 a month rather than the $11.99 a month I have now. I really like streaming just to have it for things like documentaries that I wouldn't often "waste" a disc rental on as I just watch those randomly when I'm bored etc. But it's not worth $8 a month more to me to have streaming along with my discs.

May spur me to ditch Xbox Live gold as well as I'm getting pretty burned out online gaming. Only thing I'm looking forward to is some Horde in Gears 3, and I'll probably be done with that by the time my subscription is up next spring.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#745 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

It would be a little more impressive if you didn't have Nascar and WWE avatars.

I don't see why that has anything to do with the debate, coming from someone with no avatar at all. Also as an FYI, the nascar image is pretty much anti nascar, genius.

Now go back to the kids table and let the grown-ups talk.
MLIFTgM.gif

#746 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

Price rise is shitty.....come on. Seriously everything in my life apparently is raising their price.

Although an extra 5 bucks isnt too bad.

#747 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

I am thinking about getting rid of the dvd option anyways as it seems lately that a lot of my discs are taking forever to get back to them and at the average rate with 1 disc option I can pull 2 discs a week. I usually rip them for later viewing and delete them when I am done to save space.

#748 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Plan options are:

Unlimited Streaming only, no discs $7.99
1 DVD, no streaming $7.99 ($9.99 with Blu Ray)
2 DVDs, no streaming $11.99 ($14.99 with Blu Ray)
1 DVD, Unlimited streaming $15.98 ($17.98 with Blu Ray)
2 DVDs, Unlimited streaming $19.98 ($22.98 with Blu Ray)
3 DVDs, Unlimited streaming $23.98 ($27.98 with Blu Ray)
4 DVDs, Unlimited streaming $29.98 ($34.98 with Blu Ray)

That's insane, didn't they just change pricing options 6 or so months ago?

Guess I'll be switching to streaming only, and/or Hulu Plus.
MLIFTgM.gif

#749 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

I am thinking about getting rid of the dvd option anyways as it seems lately that a lot of my discs are taking forever to get back to them and at the average rate with 1 disc option I can pull 2 discs a week. I usually rip them for later viewing and delete them when I am done to save space.

Yeah, thankfully I have no problems with turn around time and always get the 3 business days promised (i.e. mail out on Monday, get a new one on Wednesday).

I love the streaming for convenience, but these days I watch little more than new releases since I hardly ever see movies in the theaters any more.

Before I used the streaming more as I had more free time and was still catching most things I really wanted to see in theaters, so I was watching a lot of older movies, indie movies, documentaries etc. which streaming is great for.

Now that I have a hard time keeping up even with Hollywood new releases I don't really bother much with the older movies and docs etc. these days, so I suppose I'm not losing that much giving up streaming.

Just annoying when prices go up that much and we get nothing extra for it. It would be more tolerable if they announced they'd be adding more movies to stream in HD, or had worked out a deal to get more new releases on streaming etc.

Same with Blu-ray, they added the fee for that and there are still a lot of catalog titles that are available on Blu-ray that they don't offer, and I still often have 2-3 week waits to get major new releases on Blu-ray when I could get them right away on DVD.

But I suppose this is what happens when there's pretty much a monopoly and really no real competition for them on streaming video or disc rentals currently. That gives them free reign to raise prices without improving service.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#750 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

That's insane, didn't they just change pricing options 6 or so months ago?

Guess I'll be switching to streaming only, and/or Hulu Plus.

Nah, the prices have been stable for a while I think. The last change I think was just adding the $7.99 streaming only plan. I don't think the changed the DVD play prices at that time.

Before that I think the changes were the Blu-ray fee jumping from $1 to $1 plus $1 per disc out at at time.

So in some sense they were due for a price increase. The problem is this was just a damn dramatic one going from $9.99 for 1 dvd and streaming to $15.98 for the same. I'd have less of an issue if they just raised all plans by a buck or two.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection