Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
2406 replies to this topic

#781 Slappybob

Slappybob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

Here is the thing. Netflix is such a great set up that its hard to just drop them.

Redbox has no backlog of movies so if the dvd release date is older then a month they are not going to have it.

Blockbuster has a back catalog, but they do not have instant streaming with consoles which i think most of us have. So instead of watching it on a nice 50" screen on my couch i get a 19" monitor and computer chair.

Same thing with Amazon.

Either way we as the consumers get screwed.

Just my $.02 which netflix wants to raise to $20
The Douchebag Porpoise does not save drowning sailors, it just mocks them as they struggle. What a jerk!

Posted Image
Currently playing:
:360: Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands
:xbox: Mechwarrior
:ps2: Final Fantasy X
:psp: Legend of Heroes
:pc: Portal

#782 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

I only have an instant streaming sub, so this doesn't seem to affect me at all.

#783 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:31 PM

I only have an instant streaming sub, so this doesn't seem to affect me at all.

Yep, it only effects those who have and use both.

Streaming only is staying $7.99, and those who only use discs rentals can save a couple bucks on the new disc only plans.

Anyone who uses both and wants to keep them is getting a $7.99 plan increase though.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#784 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Blockbuster has a back catalog, but they do not have instant streaming with consoles which i think most of us have. So instead of watching it on a nice 50" screen on my couch i get a 19" monitor and computer chair.

Same thing with Amazon.

Either way we as the consumers get screwed.

Just my $.02 which netflix wants to raise to $20

My 55" TV streams Amazon... So no =P

#785 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, it's still a good deal for heavy users. Myself I'm more in the 4-6 movies watched a month pace across discs and streaming so it's not worth $16 plus tax for me IMO. But, as I said above, I'm mostly ok with just dropping streaming and paying $10+ tax and watching 4-6 discs a month since I'm not willing to hassle with Redbox.

I've had s1d2 of the wire since May 3rd and I still think $18 a month is reasonable.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#786 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

My 55" TV streams Amazon... So no =P

Sure, but not everyone has that. The only device I have that can stream anything to my TV is my X-box as my BR player is old.

I can't even easily hook up a PC to my TV since it's older and lacks a computer video input (and my laptop doesn't have HDMI).

So for now, I don't have any interest in streaming that can't be done through the Xbox.

I've had s1d2 of the wire since May 3rd and I still think $18 a month is reasonable.

Fair enough. Everyone has different budgets and different options on what various products and services are worth.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#787 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Don't worry I have the worst cable deal of all time. Because I bought high-speed internet they force me to get limited cable for 18 bucks. If I don't they' just jack up my cable internet price for the difference. I'm paying 65 bones a month to the cable company. I don't even have the cable box because I don't want to watch their shitty stations, I just want the internet.

Compared to my dishonest and monopolistic cable company, Netflix is still a good deal.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to assume you have Cox?

Netflix is still a good deal, but the huge price increase is nucking futs.
MLIFTgM.gif

#788 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

Well, I'm about to take advantage on a 50% discount on Amazon prime, so that could possibly take care of my streaming needs. I'll have to take a close look and see if Netflix is worth keeping.

If there's a way to ruin something, content owners will find a way to do it.

#789 Slappybob

Slappybob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Sure, but not everyone has that. The only device I have that can stream anything to my TV is my X-box as my BR player is old.

I can't even easily hook up a PC to my TV since it's older and lacks a computer video input (and my laptop doesn't have HDMI).

So for now, I don't have any interest in streaming that can't be done through the Xbox.

Fair enough. Everyone has different budgets and different options on what various products and services are worth.

Yea netflix is telling us to eat a dirty dick sandwich and like it basically.
The Douchebag Porpoise does not save drowning sailors, it just mocks them as they struggle. What a jerk!

Posted Image
Currently playing:
:360: Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands
:xbox: Mechwarrior
:ps2: Final Fantasy X
:psp: Legend of Heroes
:pc: Portal

#790 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

What does your computer have? I've been hooking up computers to tvs for 13+ years, so no way it's too old.

You can get adaptors for s-video to component, s-video to composite, vga to dvi, vga to hdmi (horrible choice, but doable), dvi to hdmi...

360 can also stream Amazon videos downloaded to your pc.

#791 Cerebral_One

Cerebral_One

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

Well if you think about:
Let's say you can rent and watch 8 movies per month from netflix. $8
If you rented 8 movies from redbox it would still cost $8.
At blockbuster it costs like $8 for one rental.
If you realize that netflix has the best selection that the price increase is actually justified.
That being said they should have atleast given current members some kind of deal like $15 a month instead of $18.

What are you smoking... Blockbuster rentals are $2.99 for new release, $1.99 for somewhat new, and $0.99 for everything else (including Blurays). On Sunday's any movie $1.99 or lower is $0.49 and then they have the 11am-3pm matinee deal too during the week.

Blockbuster has a mail in program like Netflix, unlimited movies, games, tv shows, Blurays, 5 in store exchanges and unlimited exchanges for discounted movies/games. $11.99.

#792 DestroCobra

DestroCobra

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

I still don't think it's justifiable to jack up the prices. I use both services and enjoy it. The main reason I enjoyed it is because it was cheap. While 16 is still not that bad I don't see myself partaking in netflix anytime after september.

#793 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

What does your computer have? I've been hooking up computers to tvs for 13+ years, so no way it's too old.

You can get adaptors for s-video to component, s-video to composite, vga to dvi, vga to hdmi (horrible choice, but doable), dvi to hdmi...

360 can also stream Amazon videos downloaded to your pc.

It's a business focused Thinkpad, so it only has the regular VGA out as the only video port.--and the TV (A Sony Wega e-2000 series LDC RPTV) doesn't have a VGA port. Just HDMI, component, s-video and composite.

And as you note, it's not worth bothering with converters as the quality takes such a hit on an HDTV.

Especially since I seldom stream anything anyway, so it's moot for me. I was just playing Devil's advocate and stating that most people don't want to bother with hooking up PCs to the TV and a big reason why Netflix is so dominating streaming video is because they have their app in so many devices people already have hooked up to the TV.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#794 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

You people are seriously putting the blame on the wrong people though. Licensing for just streaming Paramount, Lionsgate, MGM, and Miramax is going to cost Netflix $300 mil a year. Last year, their entire streaming license fee was less than $200 mil. Add to that, Disney wants like another $50 mil a year, and ALL the other studios (Time Warner, Universal, Sony, Paramount, Fox, NBC, WB, etc), they'd lose half their profits even if they dropped all but the first for I mentioned, and had the same net number of subscribers.

tl;dr: Blame the studios.

#795 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hulu Plus is $7.99 a month and their selection of TV shows destroys Netflix.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#796 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

You people are seriously putting the blame on the wrong people though. Licensing for just streaming Paramount, Lionsgate, MGM, and Miramax is going to cost Netflix $300 mil a year. Last year, their entire streaming license fee was less than $200 mil. Add to that, Disney wants like another $50 mil a year, and ALL the other studios (Time Warner, Universal, Sony, Paramount, Fox, NBC, WB, etc), they'd lose half their profits even if they dropped all but the first for I mentioned, and had the same net number of subscribers.

tl;dr: Blame the studios.

I agree they're to blame. And that's why I'm just going down to disc only rather than canceling Netflix.

But I do think it's too big an increase in price all at once from them. And I think they'd have been less likely to do it if they had any real competition in streaming rentals. Stuff like Amazon etc. is too small yet and doesn't have apps pre-loaded in enough hardware to make a dent, Blockbuster is fading and on-demand movies are too expensive to compete.

So that gives the studios and Netflix freer reign to jack up costs on both ends.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#797 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

By decoupling the streaming plan from DVDs, they will be able to increase the price of streaming only plans even more as their costs go up without losing their mail only customers. I bet this is just the first step in hiking the price of the streaming subscription.

#798 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hulu Plus is $7.99 a month and their selection of TV shows destroys Netflix.

Yep, it's a great service for TV lovers.

Unfortunately, I've never been much into TV shows so I mainly used the Netflix streaming for older movies, documentaries and indie/foreign films as they had a great selection of that stuff. Just not worth the extra money to me though since I mainly stick to recent hollywood releases these days. Maybe I'll pick it back up if I get more free time (i.e. stop gaming as much etc.) for movies and get a desire to watch more of that kind of stuff again.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#799 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

By decoupling the streaming plan from DVDs, they will be able to increase the price of streaming only plans even more as their costs go up without losing their mail only customers. I bet this is just the first step in hiking the price of the streaming subscription.

I do as well. $7.99 for unlimited streaming is probably too cheap given their licensing costs cited above. So I bet in 6 months or so we'll see that jacked up again. Probably to $9.99 to start with.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#800 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

Hike my prices almost 60% and give me worst streaming service now people have started pulling out. Yeah, Netflix can go Fuck themselves.

#801 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, it's still a good deal for heavy users. Myself I'm more in the 4-6 movies watched a month pace across discs and streaming so it's not worth $16 plus tax for me IMO. But, as I said above, I'm mostly ok with just dropping streaming and paying $10+ tax and watching 4-6 discs a month since I'm not willing to hassle with Redbox.

Blockbuster has dropped all catalog titles to $.99 per day. I think they are still charging more for new releases but most people don't get those day 1 from netflix anyway. Just run over to redbox for new releases, blockbuster for older stuff and netflix for streaming the rest.

#802 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:02 PM

Still should be a break for those that keep the streaming/dvd bundle. We will probably drop the dvd. Wonder what the USPS will think of a mass Netflix dvd dropped plans is?
If its free, its for me!!

#803 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:03 PM

I wonder if Netflix would consider offering staggered streaming subs based on the number of devices you're allowed to stream to simultaneously, similar to how it's currently handled:

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan. Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.

#804 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:04 PM

Blockbuster has dropped all catalog titles to $.99 per day. I think they are still charging more for new releases but most people don't get those day 1 from netflix anyway. Just run over to redbox for new releases, blockbuster for older stuff and netflix for streaming the rest.

The only Blockbuster near me went out of business.

Like I said, I'm fine just going with the $9.99 a month 1 disc at a time only with Blu-ray plan.

I'd seldom rent if I had to hassle with due dates at a store or Redbox, so I don't mind if I don't always get my $10 worth during a busy month where I don't rent much as the overall convenience is worth the price for me.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#805 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

Netflix: 9.99 1 Out (missing majority of new releases)
Blockbuster: 11.99 1 Out (has all new releases + 3 month old games)

#806 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, I will probably drop the dvd and just rent it from blockbuster for a day or so....I stream heavily and the dvd usually sits on my shelf for up to 3 months before I actually watch it.

#807 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

Only issue is I've read on other forums that Blockbuster online is still lacking in older movies on Blu, and things like documentaries, indie films and foreign films compared to Netflix.

Game rentals are moot for me as I barely find time to finish the few games I buy a year these days.

But good deal if you don't care about those types of films and would rent games. Even better deal if you still have a BB in business near you so you can do the instore swaps and get more movies as caltab noted.

Edited by dmaul1114, 12 July 2011 - 11:38 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#808 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

plus 5 in store exchanges if you have one near by...that can make it so you get more rentals per month by saving a ton of days that would be lost to shipping. Assuming you have a blockbuster near by, I think they are now a better deal then netflix- especially if you like getting new releases. Also, I dont think they charge extra for blus.

Edited by caltab, 12 July 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#809 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

Damn. It's as if they waited for BB to go bankrupt before jacking up the price. :/

#810 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

Damn. It's as if they waited for BB to go bankrupt before jacking up the price. :/

Blockbuster is now owned by Dish, I think the existing stores have a new shot to survive. Also, I don't think the mail service will be going any where.